Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #4351
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangudai View Post
Anyone know?
no, go buy a new fuckin battery
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #4352
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was actually thinking of going with kyb. I saw them on autopartswarehouse.com for a reasonable price but I just wasn't sure if I'd get my money's worth or just get some cheap replacement. Glad to know it's an alright choice. I just want something until I have a complete coilover suspension. Thank for the help!
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #4353
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I was actually thinking of going with kyb. I saw them on autopartswarehouse.com for a reasonable price but I just wasn't sure if I'd get my money's worth or just get some cheap replacement. Glad to know it's an alright choice. I just want something until I have a complete coilover suspension. Thank for the help!
ya if you need something cheap that isnt junk, kyb is definitely the best bet
Old 02-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #4354
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
no, go buy a new fuckin battery
Being that its an optima I figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #4355
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Being that its an optima I figured I'd give it a shot.
well, another option would be to take it to where you bought it from and if it wasnt your fault, then they might replace it, if someone else worked on the car and fucked it up, then you might be able to get them to warranty it, but if its your fault youll have to eat the cost...the way those batteries are made you cant replace the posts
Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #4356
timinthehood
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (23)
timinthehood is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
what costs more, a sr20det swap, or a ca18det swap? like a very basic swap, everything oem, insides not built or anything, just wondering, do the sr swaps cost more because of the power, or does the ca swap cost more because of the rarity?
timinthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #4357
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
edit: would having an oil pressure gauge for a stock KA be worth it or should i just not worry? Motor seems pretty healthy but i will be tracking this car
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #4358
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hey I'm trying to replace both front shocks on my '89 coupe but I'm not 100% where I should order from. I thought about trying autopartswarehouse.com but eh not sure. Any advice where to buy from or brand to get?
Coilovers. STANCE, PBM, or Fortune Auto, depending on what you're looking for... I love my STANCE coils. It's more expensive than just new shocks... but oh so worth it.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4359
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Anyone know?
I already responded
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/297481-smal...ml#post3855712

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #4360
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthehood View Post
what costs more, a sr20det swap, or a ca18det swap? like a very basic swap, everything oem, insides not built or anything, just wondering, do the sr swaps cost more because of the power, or does the ca swap cost more because of the rarity?
No offense, but if you're going to 'mod' a car with a set budget you need to either not bother, or save up more to do it 'sorta' right.

CA's are old junk, with limited aftermarket, and expensive replacment parts. Cheaper initially, but almost the same cost in the end.

SR's are slightly less old junk, with a gigantic aftermarket, and parts so cheap that they even make ODB roll over in his grave. Plus the support is ten-fold that of the CA. Another awesome thing: Most Sentra parts cross over. They made 8 million (+/- a few million lol) to help us out.

As above, save your cash and do it 'solid'...you don't need the best parts, but to just do it right. Check the classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
edit: would having an oil pressure gauge for a stock KA be worth it or should i just not worry? Motor seems pretty healthy but i will be tracking this car
YES YES YES it's a good idea. A track car should always have:
Oil Pressure
Water Temperature
at a minimum on stockish engines.

Oil Temp is another good one, as are widebands or EGT in my opinion for FI setups, or big HP setups.

Quote:
Check Koni Yellow replacements as well. Much better than KYB's. Handle better than Stance/PBM/Fortune/Megan as well with even a mild spring rate. Downfall (well nto to me, but for most) is that you can't slam the car to the frame rails.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #4361
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthehood View Post
SR's cost more because they are newer. Finding a good CA that you won't have to replace all the parts on will be hard. Starting to get hard with red top SR's;
Quote:
I would say not needed DD. But, never hurts.
Yes, for track car.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #4362
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

What kind of clutch do you guys think I should use for the following setup:

Stock KA
5spd (obviously)
Stock flywheel (will be resurfacing)
Daily Driver/track car.
Will be used for drifting.

I want a clutch that'll be able to catch really nice for clutch kick drift initiations, and still last a decent amount of time, while being driveable in traffic and such.

I was told to get an ACT 6puck sprung clutch kit. Not sure though, so I figured I'd ask for more opinions.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #4363
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post

Stock KA
5spd (obviously)
Daily Driver/track car.

I want a clutch that'll be able to catch really nice for clutch kick drift initiations, and still last a decent amount of time, while being driveable in traffic and such.

I was told to get an ACT 6puck sprung clutch kit. Not sure though, so I figured I'd ask for more opinions.
if you want a daily driver go buy a camry...drifting/tracking/racing/building a daily driver is stupid, and if people do it they too are stupid (ive done it at one point, so im stupid)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #4364
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
if you want a daily driver go buy a camry...drifting/tracking/racing/building a daily driver is stupid, and if people do it they too are stupid (ive done it at one point, so im stupid)
you really don't post much helpful information. If you aren't going to answer the question then you have no business here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
I would say not needed DD. But, never hurts.
Yes, for track car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
YES YES YES it's a good idea. A track car should always have:
Oil Pressure
Water Temperature
at a minimum on stockish engines.

Oil Temp is another good one, as are widebands or EGT in my opinion for FI setups, or big HP setups.
Cool, thanks guys. I'll probably head into the FI route one day with the KA so it'll help now.

As far as wiring, i don't have to drill anything into the firewall right? And, How should i go about installing? I've gotten things through search like the sandwich plates, using Tee's where the stock oil sender is, removing that completely. Which is best?
Quote:

Stock KA
5spd (obviously)
Daily Driver/track car.

I was told by Johnny from Chicagoz (johnny bee good or w.e) that ACT really does its job. If you want a daily clutch, don't go over stage2 and get sprung. an Exedy stage 2 should be plenty, ACT Stage 1, pretty much depending on your budget. Most clutches won't last very long with clutch kicking, so that's kinda a lost cause
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #4365
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
you really don't post much helpful information. If you aren't going to answer the question then you have no business here.
I post plenty of useful information, scroll up, and do a search, I post mostly in the tech section answering peoples questions, don't see you there much...

I speak the truth, if you want a daily driver, making it for track use is absolutely stupid, especially a driftcar...part of a daily is reliability, when you stress a car under track use conditions or risk the car to damage, you reduce statistical reliability...if you have a backup car then go for it, but it doesn't make for a good daily...that's. Why owning something like a camry for your daily is a good thing, then you can afford to break your a track car and it doesn't need to get fixed to make it to work on monday...

If he wants a good clutch for a daily, then use a stock one, people buy too performance of clutches, there's a reason they have hp ratings...match the hp rating of the clutch to the car to maintain driveability...the 240 I bought from a guy is a bone stock single cam, and the guy put a 6 puck kevlar stage 3 clutch...there's no fucking point and it makes it more annoying to drive in traffic...by the looks of your post id say you agree with me on not going with some crazy clutch...I think you make a good point as well that clutch kicking wont make any clutch last long...this said, daily and clutch kicks don't combine...thus my point, daily+drift car doesn't work...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #4366
st165

st165 is an unknown quantity at this point
any sr20de (s14) owners there? whats your average fuel consumption?
also whats the average fuel consumption on a sr20det(s14 )thanks guys
st165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #4367
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

Thanks and actually it was someone at sears who overtighten it. I had them test my charging system.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #4368
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Thanks and actually it was someone at sears who overtighten it. I had them test my charging system.
id go and try to get them to replace it since they fucked up...id raise hell too cuz those batteries arent cheap...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #4369
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
id go and try to get them to replace it since they fucked up...id raise hell too cuz those batteries arent cheap...
Sears is pretty good with replacing things they break, so you should be able to get your money back.

yeah i see where your coming from just the way you put it seemed to blatant. And yeah im never in the tech section posting, just passing through
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #4370
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Sears is pretty good with replacing things they break, so you should be able to get your money back.

yeah i see where your coming from just the way you put it seemed to blatant. And yeah im never in the tech section posting, just passing through
its all good, im only on here anyway to learn and to help, thats why i pretty much only look at this thread and the tech section...this threads my favorite

once i bought one of the craftsman tool sets from sears (it was a larger one, cant remember which) during their holiday tool sale in nov/dec and it was missing all the 1/4" ratchet deep wells for some reason and they said "oh, we've never heard of this happening before, but we'll get you the replacements right away"...i mean hell!!! i could have just pulled them out and tried to get a second set for free and they took care of it! (it really was missing)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #4371
Dustxking
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Dustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So on my v-mount setup im using a sr koyo rad. And i figured mount it upright, and have the koyo symbol facing towards the ground. I made a quick paint pic for reference. Now i had a buddy of mine tell me this wouldn't work. And he is probably right but if it doesn't work Which way should i do it?! I am kind of on a budget as we speak and i need to get the car drive'able before my apartment finds out theres a car that doesn't run sitting in their garage.
Am i going in the right direction? Should i have it facing downwards and have the hoses going back up?

Dustxking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #4372
chiboy002
Post Whore!

any1 know where i can get 90mm piping like the ones used for exhaust tips? I wanna extend mine a bit but i can't find anywhere to buy them
Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #4373
terrence
Zilvia Junkie

terrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymore
On my cold pipe my piping has 3 inlets. I was told one is for the wastegate and one is for the IAVC. So which one is for the IAVC? The big one, or the little one (under the piping not pictured). I have not seen any other pipes with 3 inlets.

terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #4374
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I can't afford to have 2 cars, pay insurance on both, etc. And I want to be able to track my car. It's been done before so it's not impossible. I didn't ask about a daily driver, I asked about a clutch. So unless you have an answer to my question, I don't need to hear your opinion on completely off topic shit.
Quote:

I was told by Johnny from Chicagoz (johnny bee good or w.e) that ACT really does its job. If you want a daily clutch, don't go over stage2 and get sprung. an Exedy stage 2 should be plenty, ACT Stage 1, pretty much depending on your budget. Most clutches won't last very long with clutch kicking, so that's kinda a lost cause
I'll try the 6puck sprung I guess. Does anyone know if I can use the pressure plate from the ACT clutch for like an Exedy clutch if I decide to change it up later? or do I have to buy a whole new kit?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #4375
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
any1 know where i can get 90mm piping like the ones used for exhaust tips? I wanna extend mine a bit but i can't find anywhere to buy them
if you have a diesel shop around they'd probably have some, are you looking for stainless or just regular old steel piping?

summit racing has TONS of piping for order, heres a link to the exhaust section

Exhaust at SummitRacing.com: high-flow exhaust systems and components

heres some aluminized steel piping 4foot of 3.5" OD which is roughly the size you want for $18

Summit Racing SUM-640035 - Summit Racing® Exhaust Tubing - Overview - SummitRacing.com

just search there...what you really should do is decide if you want the piping extension to go over the old piping or inside of it (id do over it, then you could make it cleaner) and make sure you measure the outer diameter and match that to the inner diameter of the pipe you want to slide over (and hopefully weld) to extend it...or of course you could go with the same OD and tack weld it in place, then seam weld it...

i cant imagine summit doesnt have what you need, if you are having trouble finding what you need, summit has FANTASTIC custom support, you can just call sales and tell them what you are looking for and what you want, and they know their catalogue front to back and they will look it up for you. we actually have a summit racing store up in the akron ohio area and they have this whole middle section with people with computers and you just walk up and tell them what you need and what you are doing and they'll help you find exactly what you need
Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #4376
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I can't afford to have 2 cars, pay insurance on both, etc. And I want to be able to track my car. It's been done before so it's not impossible. I didn't ask about a daily driver, I asked about a clutch. So unless you have an answer to my question, I don't need to hear your opinion on completely off topic shit.

I'll try the 6puck sprung I guess. Does anyone know if I can use the pressure plate from the ACT clutch for like an Exedy clutch if I decide to change it up later? or do I have to buy a whole new kit?
i gave you my opinion whether you like it or not, it wasnt off topic IMO, and i gave you a solution further down again, there are no "wonder" parts out there that are going to give you a daily driveable clutch that is going to hold up to abuse...you're probably right the 6puck will probably be the best (thats what i have and it seems manageable), its going to suck for daily compared to the alternatives but if you get a kevlar one it should hold up well to a bit of abuse...just dont expect it to last 30-50k like it would if you were just dailying it.

to be honest when it comes to ACT vs exedy stuff, if you look them up and look at their pressure plates, including some other companies like spec, they all appear to have the same pressure plates, some OEM clutches, like on some hondas, appear to be the same manufacturer as well...i guess what you could do if you want to save money is buy the ACT setup, do your thing, and down the road if you want to change to a different disk, order it and check clearances, etc, if it doesnt work, send it back and order a full kit or a replacement ACT disk...

a lot of this shit when you are sticking to single disk setups, are all engineered of the same oem clearance specs, so they typically work when you mix and match in my experience
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #4377
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
i read your post again, and thought maybe i miss-understood you...you say exhaust tips...so i assume you are looking for something cleaner...again you can look at summit racing but id look in here

Exhaust Tips - Exhaust - SummitRacing.com

they have rolled and non rolled exhaust tips, some are clamp on, some are weld on, etc etc...

heres the 3.5" inlet exhaust tips

3.500 in. - Round - Exhaust Tips - Exhaust - SummitRacing.com
Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #4378
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
so i know that federal ss595 run wider then most tires but does anyone have experience with the 595rs-r tires? are they the same as far as running wider?
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #4379
niteridaz503
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
niteridaz503 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Exclamation

What exactly do i need to run z32 uprights on my s13? (besides z32 lower strut mounts)

for ex. am i still able to run all my s13 Traction control arms, RUCA's & toe rods
niteridaz503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #4380
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
NAPA, they have upto 6" 6ft pipes there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence View Post
On my cold pipe my piping has 3 inlets. I was told one is for the wastegate and one is for the IAVC. So which one is for the IAVC? The big one, or the little one (under the piping not pictured). I have not seen any other pipes with 3 inlets.

The little one on the left is the Wastegate. The one on the bottom not seen is the IACV. The big one on the Right/Bottom is the BOV.