Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #4351
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
For frames do u use 120 wall? What type of steel? My next build is a ratrod something convertible from the late 20s or early 30s I wanted to make my frame from scratch but I have never done anything of that magnitude, and recommendations? Specs for a frame? Or forums? And also do u pull or push while mig welding those frames?
Yeah usually .120. Just mild steel since we paint the frames. We can build you one I pull when mig welding. Just look around on some hot rod forums.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #4352
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mig and Metal Core = Push

Stick and Flux Core = Pull/Drag

You'll hear so many "it doesn't matter" statements, but those are the proper techniques.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #4353
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Dammit, I been dragging most of the time although, I do like the look I get from pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
Yeah usually .120. Just mild steel since we paint the frames. We can build you one I pull when mig welding. Just look around on some hot rod forums.
Build me one how much does that usually run? I would just need dimensions and I could do my owner like a write up. Never done one but wouldn't mine trying
Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #4354
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Dammit, I been dragging most of the time although, I do like the look I get from pulling

Build me one how much does that usually run? I would just need dimensions and I could do my owner like a write up. Never done one but wouldn't mine trying
With stick and flux core welding you MUST, absolutely MUST pull/drag.
Metal core you MUST push.

Mig does work both ways. However, the proper technique is to push.
Solid wire mig doesn't penetrate the base metal very well compared to all the other types of processes. If you search around you can find some cut away's and you'll see what I mean. Mig doesn't penetrate worth a shit (in comparison).

When you push mig, the theory is that you are allowing the arc to slightly burn ahead and that the wire is "digging" into the material better. Therefore giving a more penetrating weld. Whereas when you pull mig, it doesn't burn in as effectively.

Now, if you are doing thin parts, IE 0.120'' thick stuff, you're not likely to notice any significant difference other than appearance.

But if you were doing, lets say a structural test piece, and you dragged you mig, you would almost certainly fail.

But solid wire mig certifications are a joke and a waste of time for most people, lol.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #4355
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
I usually preheat the metal first then weld .
Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #4356
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I passed my certification tests while pulling mig lol. I hold the gun at like a 20* angle though
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #4357
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Canadian certs are different than US. Ours are harder. I keep forgetting that.

Our plates have only one bevelled side and the sngle on the other side 35* if I'm not mistaken. We also have to do 2 or 3 stop-starts... It's really gay...
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #4358
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey question that i can't seem to find an answer to. I'm fabricating my own power steering reservoir and i can't seem to find if i need a vented or sealed cap. anyone who knows of a good looking filler neck/cap let me know. thanks
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #4359
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
^ sealed cap. Most likely a vented cap will boil over.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #4360
TheBlackNasty
Leaky Injector

TheBlackNasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Why don't u start fabing on your own?
I really want to, but i need to get a new tig machine at my house (i do work for a private company) and a band saw. my friend just got a bridge port machine in his place so i can get custom machine parts then a friend of mine is gonna let me use his hatch KA to do a kit on, im thinking a sweet y into y into top mount twin scroll! and custom front mount up to a sweet manifold. then blueprint the set up and replicate for $$$$$ what do you guys think?? im thinking also using some one else's header to cut cost, ie. megan top mount.

Last edited by TheBlackNasty; 01-02-2012 at 07:00 PM..
TheBlackNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #4361
TheBlackNasty
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm styles View Post
ya because you have skills son
Thanks man! i appreciate the props
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
I take it you work in the private industry? Just curious what do they pay you for that work?
ya non-union, i feel under valued as far as my skill to what im being paid at this shop, they give me 18/hour but other welders in the shop are at 28 to 32... im not gonna compare myself to them because thats a weakness in professionalism, but for the quality of my work and the dedication i have (and i have a mortgage to pay) i feel like i deserve better. all of that is why i want to work for a motorsports shop so even if they cant afford to pay me what i want, it will be more than what i get now, and ill love doing it!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #4362
TheBlackNasty
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackNasty View Post
Thanks man! i appreciate the props

ya non-union, i feel under valued as far as my skill to what im being paid at this shop, they give me 18/hour but other welders in the shop are at 28 to 32... im not gonna compare myself to them because thats a weakness in professionalism, but for the quality of my work and the dedication i have (and i have a mortgage to pay) i feel like i deserve better. all of that is why i want to work for a motorsports shop so even if they cant afford to pay me what i want, it will be more than what i get now, and ill love doing it!
i cant lie tho, my parts are Damn good and most of the time better than the rest
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #4363
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
One of my good buddies has a local fab shop. He can pretty much weld anything, but his speciality is putting roll cages into various Porsches. He's a mad man and a fantastic fabricator. (For northeast guys Does the primary fab work for Dawes Motorsports, and used to do work for Deman before they hired an house guy)

Anywho, here are some pictures from a recent GT3 996. Customer wanted the cage tight to the chassis, but not overly obtrusive in vision. This seems to work. It's not over the top, but still a quality piece.

Edit: Don't mind the tilted supertrapps on the exhaust tips, that's to pass Db requirements at Limerock Park

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #4364
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
^^ needs more gussets
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #4365
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
RB Manifold I'm building, all runners are very close in length.

Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #4366
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post
^^ needs more gussets
The top 4 points are?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #4367
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
The top 4 points are?
If they're not dimple-died then they're not baller enough. :P (Although, is a tube stronger? I would imagine it is, but without running some numbers, I can't be sure)

Ace, Was that cage attached to the A or B Pillar anywhere?
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #4368
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not sure if it's been covered in here but who is everyone using for suppliers? I've found burns to be the best quality stuff and Ace is cheapest. I don't imagine most have a madrel bender at their disposal.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #4369
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
If they're not dimple-died then they're not baller enough. :P (Although, is a tube stronger? I would imagine it is, but without running some numbers, I can't be sure)

Ace, Was that cage attached to the A or B Pillar anywhere?
LOL! I kind of assumed it was in reference to the the lack dimple die pieces. I forget the actual classing of these cars, but you're actually not allowed to weld them too the pillars, so the goal is to get them as close as you can/almost touching. The tubes are actually much stronger than the little sheet metal tacos/trinagles. He's had a few guys really smash the cars up, all have held up perfectly so it must work somehow haha.

On a serperate note, I personally think some of those gusset looking things are kinda tacky...IMO it lets the cage guy too much leeway in the construction, as he can jut put a big plate with holes in and and call it a day.

Here is an example of a customer that literally wanted contact:

Only on the base of the pillars is it welded. I don't have a super good shot of them, but here you can see the B pillar base and how it was setup

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #4370
vas570sx
Zilvia Addict

vas570sx is an unknown quantity at this point
nothing much, just a trans mount i made to adapt my t5 transmission to the s14 chassis.

Last edited by vas570sx; 01-03-2012 at 10:39 AM..
vas570sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #4371
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
my God, if I ever have a cage put in the S13 I want it to fit that tightly.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #4372
hb24drftr
Leaky Injector

hb24drftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Put together some shock mounts to add a bypass shock to this offroad buggy.

hb24drftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #4373
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4_96 View Post
Not sure if it's been covered in here but who is everyone using for suppliers? I've found burns to be the best quality stuff and Ace is cheapest. I don't imagine most have a madrel bender at their disposal.
I use vibrant for all of my aluminum and sch
all of my 304 j bends I get locally, we have a mandrel bender in town
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #4374
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
codyace- is this the shop near dillsburg, or maybe it was chambersburg, pa? if so, one of my friends works there part time helping the shop owner out.
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #4375
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek18b_jimmy View Post
codyace- is this the shop near dillsburg, or maybe it was chambersburg, pa? if so, one of my friends works there part time helping the shop owner out.
Nope, it's up in Stroudsburg PA/Poconos where I'm at.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #4376
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just found mandrel-bends.com killer deals, they do custom water jet flanges for a good price to!
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #4377
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
hb24drftr: Gorgeous
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #4378
SpuGen
Leaky Injector

SpuGen is making a name for him/her selfSpuGen is making a name for him/her selfSpuGen is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Canadian certs are different than US. Ours are harder. I keep forgetting that.

Our plates have only one bevelled side and the sngle on the other side 35* if I'm not mistaken. We also have to do 2 or 3 stop-starts... It's really gay...
30* Bevel.
2 Stop Starts. One on the Square, and one on the Bevel.

CWB Inspectors are such cunts. I was under spec 1/8th for a crack on my square Stop/start, for my 3G. Got dinged.
It's my own fault really, I didn't burn back enough on the restart. But still.
Everything else was mintyyyy and I got dinged.
So now I have 3 tickets. 1 for Flux, and 2 for stick.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #4379
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
30* Bevel.
2 Stop Starts. One on the Square, and one on the Bevel.

CWB Inspectors are such cunts. I was under spec 1/8th for a crack on my square Stop/start, for my 3G. Got dinged.
It's my own fault really, I didn't burn back enough on the restart. But still.
Everything else was mintyyyy and I got dinged.
So now I have 3 tickets. 1 for Flux, and 2 for stick.
I was close. It's been a while since I've had to do any CWB testing.

I don't know who your instructor was, but he was lenient. I've only ever been allowed 1/32'' in any errors.

I had my all positions, TIG, Stick, Flux/Metal Core. And then my TSSA (Pressure vessel) certs...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #4380
hb24drftr
Leaky Injector

hb24drftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
hb24drftr: Gorgeous
Thanks Luke. There's about 2 weeks worth of hours in those things from design, to completed product. But they came out bitchin'.

hb24drftr is offline   Reply With Quote