Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #4861
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Before I start trying to make my own caliper bracket, can anyone tell me if they've seen adapter brackets to put Wilwoods on the back of an S chassis? I'm NOT looking to run dual calipers, just want to replace the oem calpier all together and upgrade.

ASD S13 4 Piston Rear Brake Upgrade Kit
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #4862
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by landins13 View Post
I knew they had the 4 caliper rear kit, didn't know they had this, THANKS! Now my problem is I already have those exact calipers, might call them to see if they will sale just the adatpers. Also noticed this. . .
Quote:
Availability:
Not for Sale
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #4863
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1873857 View Post
you dont plan on using a parking brake? seriously gonna rely on keeping the car in gear? in a daily? good luck..
thats the point of using the stock handle instead of a normal hydro because you can use a drift button and the stock ratchet lock so you can still have a parking brake pretty easily plus it looks stock.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #4864
TTnickdizzle
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
TTnickdizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

TTnickdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #4865
Ichiban4
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Ichiban4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post

Here is the one we did for my friends track car. It is pretty simple .120 wall DOM tubing bent on the ends and a jack point in the center. It is bolted to the stock bumper points and it is fine for jacking the car. The center jack point is just above the bumper profile so it looks like we jack it from the bumper...lol.
Hey guys I am looking into making a similar crash bar/jack point for my car. I am getting really tired of driving on boards so this would help a lot. We have a local steel store and I have a flux/mig I have been practicing on.

I want to go with square tubing my question is what thickness is a good enough size to support jacking the car up with? He said .120 which is about 8 gauge. Is that a good size to use? Can I go smaller/bigger easily?

Thank you for you help.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #4866
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood View Post
thats the point of using the stock handle instead of a normal hydro because you can use a drift button and the stock ratchet lock so you can still have a parking brake pretty easily plus it looks stock.

so you are relying on hydraulic pressure over extended periods of time to keep your car parked.. thus the reason hydraulic lifts have locks. why leaving an engine hoisted overnight will be on the floor in the morning. OK man.. you got it...

anyway .. sponsored a good buddy of mine. he races a 2001 e46 BMW with a 1JZ drivetrain. I fabricated the engine and trans mounts to make it possible. for free..

made of all 3/16 & 1/4" steel. fits perfect !
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #4867
--Redwork--

--Redwork-- is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats some freaking long mounts.. That would have to be applying some crazy stress to the side of the block with that much levarage
--Redwork-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #4868
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Just picked up a new welder for my personal shop, it welds super nice pretty happy with the purchase.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #4869
Not You
Leaky Injector

Not You is an unknown quantity at this point
Just picked up my new 200DX . Lots of rad stuff going to happen with this guy!
Not You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #4870
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
I'm happy you got the 200dx. It is a great welder!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #4871
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not You View Post
Just picked up my new 200DX . Lots of rad stuff going to happen with this guy!
Nice I bought one of those not so long ago proably only have about 20 hours of pratice on it if that, awesome machine!
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #4872
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Made these for my P11:

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #4873
danee

danee is an unknown quantity at this point
One way to do your lexan/plastic windows ! ("How To Guide")

Tools: Jigsaw, finetoothblade, drill / screwdriver, 5mm and 4mm drill, razor knife, straight ruler!

Material: Thicker paper as a template, Masking tape, Pencil, A pair of self-tapping screws. "80" Abrasives. Rivets ALU Steel Diam. 4.0mm 12.3mm length H12

Tip: Thinking before you act! Set the drill / rivet in a system, looks much nicer and thought trew.

Make a template of the frame will be replaced.

Please keep in mind that the panel covers a portion of the window, you may have to make a slightly larger window than the original glass.

Cut out the window from the plastic sheet, preferably at some margin if something must be refined later.

Apply the box to the car, use self-tapping screws to find the right position.

Draw at the inside of the window and around each bodyedge, then put a masking tape stripe width to cut by.

Then paint the black on the windows, scrub the surface a bit and use the paint that is a little "elastic" (plastic friendly paint that dont get bone hard when it dry)

Drill the holes in the window to 5mm and 4mm in the body, to have some adjustment range.

Good tip is to put every other pop rivets at the beginning to rub out the bumps that become.

Measure it one time too much and test mount with self tapping screws preferably one or two times too much!

Better to cut to little then to much, as the lexan is not "cheap"..

____

This is how i did, I dont say this is the only way, but its one way :thumbs:

I Have been using google translate and fixed the problems i seen, but if you see anything thats not right or something (like grammar) please tell me so i can change it

/ D
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #4874
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
TTnickdizzle, that set up turned out pretty awesome! I love hide away stuffs like that!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #4875
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
dope how-to!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #4876
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
WACHU know about this?

Customized my peace of shit oil catch can, hope it helps with blow-by because its driving me crazy trying to figure out a good system, so i'm hoping this works as a good breather
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #4877
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban4 View Post
Hey guys I am looking into making a similar crash bar/jack point for my car. I am getting really tired of driving on boards so this would help a lot. We have a local steel store and I have a flux/mig I have been practicing on.

I want to go with square tubing my question is what thickness is a good enough size to support jacking the car up with? He said .120 which is about 8 gauge. Is that a good size to use? Can I go smaller/bigger easily?

Thank you for you help.
I would go with .120 for the crash bar and the jack point. the struts that go to the jack point you could go a little thinner, like .083-.095" but I find that thickness to be more expensive than the .120.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #4878
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Is it possible to do a coupe rear window with one lexan piece? I feel like the curve at the ends will be too much...
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #4879
danee

danee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Is it possible to do a coupe rear window with one lexan piece? I feel like the curve at the ends will be too much...
Yes i think that would be possible.
i used 3mm thick lexan(swedish rules), and its pretty bendable..

maybe you need braces like nascar if its to "sloppy" but one piece i think would work..
Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #4880
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Redwork-- View Post
Thats some freaking long mounts.. That would have to be applying some crazy stress to the side of the block with that much levarage
they were engineered directly around the factory mounts but much stronger.. im sure it will be fine. thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #4881
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Any Lexan (Polycarbonate) .125" thick and smaller is really easy to bend and shape. Depending on the application and span you might encounter some rigidity issues though. The few times I've used 'thin' lexan (.0625) and smaller and I wanted to elimination some of the flex (hated hearing it flop) I'd try to put the sheet under as much tension as was reasonably possible and it helps quite a bit. Might still need a center brace though.

Depending on the tools you have access to, you could always look into going with a thicker sheet and forming it with heat. I've done 90* bends with .25" thick lexan with ~.25" internal radii with just a heat gun and some patience.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #4882
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

*The center is the size of my battery, the sides are 2'' to help battery stay centered, and a extra 4'' on one end to mount the breaker .

Parts Used:

-Small peace of 1/8 aluminum about 20''x20'' at the most.
-150amp breaker from Auto zone.
-Grip material
-1/8 black pvc material to go under breaker, about 4''x4''
-15' Of 2gauge wire from Home depot
-Positive and Negative terminals with plastic covers from Autozone
-Battery hold down kit *just for the long screws
-(4) 3/8 in. 2 gauge copper ring lug *

Last edited by OutlawLui; 06-07-2012 at 10:01 AM..
OutlawLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #4883
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
the rear jack point i made last night to finish off the rear bash bar. now bot front and rear bash bars have jack points ..

front bash bar i need to get a new pic i added some tabs and the jack pint.

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #4884
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Anyone have any tips on figuring out angles for multi-plan bends of A-pillars for a roll cage?
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #4885
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
Anyone have any tips on figuring out angles for multi-plan bends of A-pillars for a roll cage?
Bend-Tech PRO

You might be able to download the trial and get what you need.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #4886
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

be aware that its not always exact..
Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #4887
epik1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So I'm in sort of a situation and I'd like some input from the smart people of the fab thread.
I bought my car last year, didn't think to look under (well technically over I guess) the headliner. I noticed some leaking from the sunroof, took the headliner out and BAM, found out someone hacked in some sort of sunroof (non-oem).
On top of that, it turns out they cut out a roof support.

Forward to today, I took my car to a reputable body shop to see how much it would be to just pop out the sunroof and weld in sheet metal and put in a reinforcement bar where the old one was (you can see the spot welds that were plugged in the pic)

Cut roof support in line with the b-pillar.

roof by wilwmak, on Flickr
You can see the flex in my roof.

Roof by wilwmak, on Flickr

The conclusion of the conversation with the body shop was that these are my options:
-Replace the entire skin + support bar (pricey!!!)
-Keep re-sealing the leaks
Apparently if I just weld sheet metal back in place of the sunroof, the roof will sink.

I let them know what I want to do with the car:
-not have too much bodywork done because it's the car I'll be throwing around as a learning platform on the track
-tracking
-Daily

What I was thinking was this:
Keep re-sealing or pop out the sunroof and to counter-act the roof sinking/leaking, get some sort of reinforcement bars. I need to daily this car so I don't want to have a full out cage because they're illegal here.
I've been doing some research and I think I need to take the direction of a half-cage, roll-bar, bolt-in half cage or a stealth cage.

Something like this possibly.

I like this one because I don't have to cut interior and there's no bars going across the back for cops to see and my best guess is the roof hoop will help with either sinking if I decide to pop out the sunroof either way will help with lessening chassis flex. (I can hear the glass crackling when I come down my driveway )

I know a bolt-in cage isn't the best for actual rigidity but this is a weekend track car/daily, so I'm doing the best I can...

Any input is very much appreciated.
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #4888
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
Built a fuel cell for my car. 17x24x10 baffled, with a VDO fuel level sender, and an aermotive stealth 340 with custom plasma jet cut flanges.

not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #4889
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
that is one big ass fuel cell. very nice work!
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #4890
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
Thank you, it is 15 gallons just in case i want to take the car on a long trip.
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote