Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #5011
wiring specialties
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
wiring specialties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just a friendly reminding we have all your wiring needs taken care of.

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/1j2jharness.html
wiring specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #5012
HypnoFish
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HypnoFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiring specialties View Post

You should make these for the SC300/400 as well.
HypnoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #5013
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

You guys do great work and have seen your product in many of my friends' cars but why no offer for the 1JZ/2JZ VVTI engines?

I asked your sales rep and I just got a "they're different.." for a response.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #5014
BigPawr
Leaky Injector

BigPawr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwyzDTF View Post
I know, I either shorten the lower runners or I ditch the booster and get the tilton pedals with the MC sitting ontop of them inside the cabin. I'd be happy with either or. I dont fabricate so ive got to waste money no matter what I choose.

You know the SRT manifold kit is like $1700...I dont ball like that lol
I'd just get the stock runners shortened if economical. You're in an odd situation because you're using a GE head with limited intake options. And stock option is the cross over intake pipe, which still is an option, but lets be honest its ugly lol. But if you can't weld or don't have someone hooking you up on those runners, you may sink enough money in it to either go with a GTE Head (which then your buying new turbo manifold as well) or buy the SRT intake. Tough choices here, but if you just need it up and running, screw it and put the stock intake on it for now. Persoanlly I'd like to keep the stock brake booster, I don't trust all that aftermarket brake delete kit crap, afraid it may not stop me one day when I need it most. I like how Nissan designed me to stop.

Also remember, if you get the stock runners shortened, make sure your plenum or anything else doesn't interfere the fuel rail and injectors. And that you're also shortening it enough to clear the stock booster. So lots of measureing and mock up etc. before you decide where to draw the lines and cut.

Last edited by BigPawr; 03-12-2015 at 12:14 PM..
BigPawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #5015
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky80 View Post
Yes I had these same problems, and yes I believe we touched on it previously. I have it batt > to a junction that then goes to >starter and other end goes to alternator. I am running 0 gauge the whole way. Also running a reman starter (started with OEM and now I am on my second reman starter)....

I also went from stock KA to 2jz in a car that drove perfectly fine no starting issues. S14

There is a huge long thread on supra forums about this same thing. I ended up doing the "relay trick" with the trigger wire like many had done on there but my problem still persisted.

I notice it seems to be worse on warmer days. But is totally random, sometimes it's awesome for like 2 weeks and then in one day it will happen three times.

The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the ECU, soon will be going standalone so hoping maybe that is it? Are you on stock ECU?
I have to look that up and try it. It is SO annoying! I stalled out leaving at a light and it happened. I usually just pop the hood and use a wire to jump the signal directly to the starters 12v terminal.

I have used an oem ECU, reflashed oem ECU, and now on ProEFI. I really have not a clue as to what it could be. It never happens when I have a multimeter near by lol.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #5016
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlspeed View Post
it never happens when i have a multimeter near by lol.

exactly!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #5017
S14newguy

Trader Rating: (0)
S14newguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got my wire harnesses from wire specialties there great. Will post pictures soon but I am about to pull engine soon to go singel and go e85
S14newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #5018
monks

Trader Rating: (3)
monks is a jewel in the roughmonks is a jewel in the roughmonks is a jewel in the roughmonks is a jewel in the roughmonks is a jewel in the roughmonks is a jewel in the roughmonks is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddock View Post
You guys do great work and have seen your product in many of my friends' cars but why no offer for the 1JZ/2JZ VVTI engines?

I asked your sales rep and I just got a "they're different.." for a response.
if you need a vvti harness use panic wire, mark is awesome to deal with and stays in contact through the whole process.
monks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #5019
Krayziejoker91

Krayziejoker91 is an unknown quantity at this point
clips of my 2jz first start up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWpj...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #5020
Reddrum13
Leaky Injector

Reddrum13 is an unknown quantity at this point
So jealous. Congrats!
Reddrum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #5021
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
https://vimeo.com/122269499
Some testing and tuning a few weeks ago
Old 03-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #5022
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Sounds good Mike!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #5023
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Alwaysdtf - I'm assuming your car is/was a factory 5spd car?
I believe Connor (reddrum13) had an auto car. From what i've heard atleast in S13's the auto brake booster is slimmer than the 5spd ones. Might be something to look into, to see if the 14s have the same thing.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #5024
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
s13 auto is bigger than 5sp booster. The booster he has on his s14 is the slimmest booster for the s-chassis. I had to use that slim booster back when I had clearance issues with my downpipe for my ka-t.

**Acutally I think s13 auto/5sp are the same size and ABS is the bigger booster
Old 03-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #5025
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, I had goofy issues with downpipe and hitting brake lines when KA-T, I ended up buying an S14 5 speed non-abs to barely clear the DP. For anyone interested:

And the S13 verts have the biggest booster as well
Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #5026
93egallmotor
Leaky Injector

93egallmotor is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone with a jz swap have issues with loud PS function? i recently just installed a brand new ps pump with a chase bays high pressure line. i went from having no ps to this current setup. i have bled system and have no bubbles or foam in the reservoir. i was kicking around the idea that maybe because i have solid mounts im just hearing the vibration through the engine to the frame from the pump. noise is really only noticeable at low speed turns and parking. any input is mucho appreciated!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #5027
jubee
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jubee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:

but when are you gonna make for the vvti? =-(
jubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #5028
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubee View Post
but when are you gonna make for the vvti? =-(

Same here... Truthfully after the response I got back from them or rather the lack there of... Is why I went to Tweak'd for my harness and truth be told couldn't be happier! Thanks for sending me over WS! Lol
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #5029
supercompact
Leaky Injector

supercompact is an unknown quantity at this point
My experience with Tweak'd wasn't quite as great. They were nice enough on the phone, but when I received my harness back and plugged everything up, I noticed my wiper plug and wiring was missing. I called them up and talked to Cam and he had me send pictures and said he would call me back later that afternoon. After two days of not receiving a return call, I called him back and he said as soon as he had a chance to look at the pictures, he would call me back because he had been so busy. After a couple of weeks, I got tired of waiting and called. I got voicemail and never got a return call. I waited a couple more weeks and called again. I got Cam back on the phone and he said that I could send back in the harness. At this point it was already completely in the car, so we settled on him just sending the plug, wiring, and instructions so I could complete it myself. I waited a couple of weeks and never received anything. I call back and get him back on the phone and express that I would like to get this done so I can put the wiring through the firewall and complete my build. He promises once again that he will get it out to me, but he was having trouble finding the plug (he had already scrapped the one from my original harness). I called a couple more times after that and never got a call back. Never got anything in the mail. I ended up buying the plug myself from another vendor. I feel like I got jerked around quite a bit and got an incomplete harness and lots of time wasted for damn near $1000 spent. I stopped trying around November of last year. YMMV
supercompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #5030
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercompact View Post
My experience with Tweak'd wasn't quite as great.

Damn man I am sorry to hear that. I never had those problems and called Cam many times with questions about my harness and just general trouble shooting problems and always got a prompt response and/or he always answered the phone. My cousin used them for his SR swap and my best friend used them for his rx7-2jz swap. All without a problem. I would say maybe it was because you were after me as I have had my harness going on 2+ years and haven't spoken to them since - but my best friend was getting his harness made sounds like at the same time as you last November?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 AM   #5031
Reddrum13
Leaky Injector

alwaysDTF,

I just put my motor in with my transmission and now my engine is touching both the firewall and the brake booster. I'm going to remove the EGR cooling plate on the back of the head to stop it from touching there.

As far as the brake booster goes...I'm not sure. I'm gonna try and adjust the side-to-side positioning of the motor to get a tiny bit of clearance. Might even heat up where it is touching and dent it in a tiny bit on the booster....[emoji54]

Freed engineering mounts are definitely as low and as far back as possible. A half inch taller and a half inch forward would be perfect right now....My oil pan may even be touching the X member. Will update with results as I fix the issues at hand.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #5032
supercompact
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky80 View Post
Damn man I am sorry to hear that.

He was always super nice on the phone and he did answer several of my questions. There was just no follow through to fix my harness. The craftsmanship of the harness outside of that defect was excellent though! I just wish I didn't have to strip it down and try to figure out the wiper side of the harness considering that's what I paid them for. I have always heard good things about them outside of my experience.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #5033
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddrum13 View Post
alwaysDTF,

I just put my motor in with my transmission and now my engine is touching both the firewall and the brake booster. I'm going to remove the EGR cooling plate on the back of the head to stop it from touching there.

As far as the brake booster goes...I'm not sure. I'm gonna try and adjust the side-to-side positioning of the motor to get a tiny bit of clearance. Might even heat up where it is touching and dent it in a tiny bit on the booster....[emoji54]

Freed engineering mounts are definitely as low and as far back as possible. A half inch taller and a half inch forward would be perfect right now....My oil pan may even be touching the X member. Will update with results as I fix the issues at hand.
What motor mounts are you using?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #5034
Reddrum13
Leaky Injector

The cusco mounts Freed recommends.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #5035
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
That's weird. I haven't heard of any issues with that setup yet, which is why i also went with their product. I have yet to drop in my motor, though, so i have no idea if im going to have the same problem.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #5036
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
The cusco mounts Freed recommends.
I'm using the Cusco mounts with Freed's brackets and have zero clearance issues with anything. Are you using the correct mounting holes in the block for the brackets? His brackets are also labeled "L" & "R", sounds stupid but just double check your work.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #5037
Reddrum13
Leaky Injector

I'll double check, mistakes can happen. It may have something to do with the motor being a GE.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #5038
Reddrum13
Leaky Injector

I put the motor mount bracket labeled "L" on the turbo side of the motor according to this orientation....

Am I wrong? I got so used to imagining the turbo side the left side due to the engine stand configuration...
Old 03-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #5039
supercompact
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Am I wrong? I got so used to imagining the turbo side the left side due to the engine stand configuration...

That's backward. The L goes on the driver side. Based on sitting in the car.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #5040
Reddrum13
Leaky Injector

God dammit. I'm going home. Lol