Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #481
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti303 View Post

just for the sake of something decent on this page.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #482
yeti303
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
yeti303 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
ahh....so that's how you enter into a turn to get that hatch open...i've seen people do it...just never knew it was a skill. haha jk.

great photo...specs?
i love when my hatch comes open it sick but the on staff fire fighters at willow dont think its that cool lol, specs are alot of suspension work, powered by max supper angle kit and stock sr20 and dangerzone
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #483
zorak
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
zorak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zorak
Step 1: Feint.
Step 2: THROW IT HARD.
Step 3: Steer + Gas.

I think thats how to drift.

amirite?
zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #484
sleeper108
Zilvia Junkie

sleeper108 is an unknown quantity at this point
While I was still in my single slammer it was extremely basic

2nd gear tracks were always best for me, so get about midway into 3rd, then adjust speed while downshifting, rev up, and clutch kick in second, let off, and catch the wheel where I want, then jump back on the gas hard.

when transitioning, all I did was stay on the gas, and turn in for a little bit more angle, and then let go of the wheel, and allow my car to do the transition for me lol.
sleeper108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #485
JDM AP1

Trader Rating: (0)
JDM AP1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I read this whole thread most of it last night and the rest this morning and i made an account hoping that you guys & gals could give me some pointers to improve my technique, i have a stock SR20DE (no turbo) and i was about to throw in an SR20DET but i saw people on here tearing it up w their KA's and it made me feel insecure about my drifting among other things. so i figure ill wait on the swap a little longer untill i could squeeze all of the juice outta my N/A setup which consits of
S14 Kouki
SR20DE
Arita Speed Coilovers
front
ADVAN Neova AD07 @ 29psi
Camber -5
toe 0

Rear
Toyo DRB @ 57psi
Camber- stock
toe- stock

Click Here For Video!!

I was chasing a Sil80 w a lightly modified SR20DET
Constructive feedback welcome!!
JDM AP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #486
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Lol long post to read. The pointers are IN THE THREAD my friend. and Im sure you will have the $ for a nice slider being in Oki. I was in yokota and miss it.

Dont feel insecure keep practicing and save up some doe for a turbo kit/swap

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #487
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper108 View Post
While I was still in my single slammer it was extremely basic

2nd gear tracks were always best for me, so get about midway into 3rd, then adjust speed while downshifting, rev up, and clutch kick in second, let off, and catch the wheel where I want, then jump back on the gas hard.

when transitioning, all I did was stay on the gas, and turn in for a little bit more angle, and then let go of the wheel, and allow my car to do the transition for me lol.
Well spoken...

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #488
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM AP1 View Post
I read this whole thread most of it last night and the rest this morning and i made an account hoping that you guys & gals could give me some pointers to improve my technique, i have a stock SR20DE (no turbo) and i was about to throw in an SR20DET but i saw people on here tearing it up w their KA's and it made me feel insecure about my drifting among other things. so i figure ill wait on the swap a little longer untill i could squeeze all of the juice outta my N/A setup which consits of
S14 Kouki
SR20DE
Arita Speed Coilovers
front
ADVAN Neova AD07 @ 29psi
Camber -5
toe 0

Rear
Toyo DRB @ 57psi
Camber- stock
toe- stock

Click Here For Video!!

see...we run cheap tires in the rear to get it to slide out...with high tire pressure...and heavy weight transfer. Have someone drive your car out there...i'm sure they will have better advice to what you can do...as the only thing I can say is...

drive harder.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #489
sleeper108
Zilvia Junkie

sleeper108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
S14 Kouki
SR20DE
Arita Speed Coilovers
front
ADVAN Neova AD07 @ 29psi
Camber -5
toe 0

Rear
Toyo DRB @ 57psi
Camber- stock
toe- stock

Click Here For Video!!

Try less negative camber in the front. -1.5 degrees ought to be enough. -5degrees seems like way too much.

other than that you seem like you understand what you're doing. Drive the course harder, cause it looks like you should have been ale to link the whole thing.
sleeper108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #490
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Quote:
Course looks small.
A lot of the vids and pics from us entering in KA's are 3rd gear entries, and i was even coming in close to 4th at ASB.

I think you are fine, course looks hard to get big speed in.
You want to drift faster, let out some air pressure and let the tires get more traction.
No real reason a SR needs 60 PSI
Thats what I run on AZINI 115's on 17's with a SOHC.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #491
JDM AP1

JDM AP1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
Course looks small.
A lot of the vids and pics from us entering in KA's are 3rd gear entries, and i was even coming in close to 4th at ASB.

I think you are fine, course looks hard to get big speed in.
You want to drift faster, let out some air pressure and let the tires get more traction.
No real reason a SR needs 60 PSI
Thats what I run on AZINI 115's on 17's with a SOHC.
the reason i had 60 psi is because of how grippy the tires were compared to the 595 super steels i was running up front even though toyos were 1/32nd inch from their life, but ill try letting out some pressure and starting out further back to see if i could get some 3rd gear entrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper108 View Post
Try less negative camber in the front. -1.5 degrees ought to be enough. -5degrees seems like way too much.

other than that you seem like you understand what you're doing. Drive the course harder, cause it looks like you should have been ale to link the whole thing.
yea ill have to try that i just set it to -5 because it looks cool haha, and thanks ill try to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post
Lol long post to read. The pointers are IN THE THREAD my friend. and Im sure you will have the $ for a nice slider being in Oki. I was in yokota and miss it.

Dont feel insecure keep practicing and save up some doe for a turbo kit/swap
I read the thread i just wanted to see if there was anything that i could do better that wasnt obvious to me, and yeah i never been there but from what i see drifting is way bigger up there

Quote:
see...we run cheap tires in the rear to get it to slide out...with high tire pressure...and heavy weight transfer. Have someone drive your car out there...i'm sure they will have better advice to what you can do...as the only thing I can say is...

drive harder.
ill try its just that the best initiation speed from what i could tell is in a magical torqeless range in my powerband in third gear thats y i dont really bother speeding up in the beggining and just drift in second.

Thanks guys ill put the advice to use next time i go to the track
and I apologize for the bandwith abuse
JDM AP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #492
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
the reason i had 60 psi is because of how grippy the tires were compared to the 595 super steels i was running up front even though toyos were 1/32nd inch from their life,
that makes perfect sense
i have seen so many people just pushing their cars through corners cause they just dont try this simple temperary solution.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #493
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
yes, tires is the number one easy thing to control....you want less grip...more tire pressure....more girp..lower the pressure...its amazing to see how many things people will change before changing tires....
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #494
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
woohoo~ welded the diff :P. time to start practicing like the crajees

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #495
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

party timeeeeaaahhhhh!

have fun!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #496
otto_3478s
Zilvia Member

otto_3478s is an unknown quantity at this point
Full throttle, shift, full throttle, shift, full throttle, no traction, ass end comes out, counter steer, full throttle, smack rev limter, heavy foot brake, down shift to 2nd, counter steer, more full throttle, let up, car rotates, hold correct throttle with barely any modulation, lift, car rotates, full throttle, end course

Run @ ORP in indy
otto_3478s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #497
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_3478s View Post
Full throttle, shift, full throttle, shift, full throttle, no traction, ass end comes out, counter steer, full throttle, smack rev limter, heavy foot brake, down shift to 2nd, counter steer, more full throttle, let up, car rotates, hold correct throttle with barely any modulation, lift, car rotates, full throttle, end course

Run @ ORP in indy
do you have a video of this. it's kinda hard to imagine when you don't know the cars setup in correlation to your full throttle driving style.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #498
benarovi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
benarovi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
you guys are retarded. just listen to bow wow he explains how to drift bro
benarovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #499
otto_3478s
Zilvia Member

Quote:
do you have a video of this. it's kinda hard to imagine when you don't know the cars setup in correlation to your full throttle driving style.
I know the cars setup quite well, I was lacking a proper setup to actually have traction. But next year that will change, dumpster tires don't help either...

2:00, 4:30, and 7:30, no good views of the entry tho

YouTube - Midwest Drift Union Round 2

Last edited by otto_3478s; 10-17-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #500
LSjauN

LSjauN is an unknown quantity at this point
When I had my 240, all I used do was just OUT, IN, Clutch Kick, GASSSSSSSSSS, and lightly tap the brake to transfer.

But, like previously stated, car setup is key.

I had 36 way ksports, an Entire no name, fully adjustable suspension arm kit, that never failed me once, Shock Tower braces, huge sway bars, Rear window pillar brace, Welded Diff., and the Entire car was Stitch welded, and i ran reallllly slippery shitty tires in the rear.

It wasn't too hard to get sidways
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #501
Future_gohan
Zilvia Addict

Future_gohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post
Double clutching
Down shifting
Ebrake
Pitching the car ( swerving to one side then the other)
shifting gears while in a drift
braking technique

I've never downshifted to initiate because my sycros have been gone for years but the transmission still works. I've never had an ebrake (I will be installing a hydro this coming year though), Pitching is something i do often, it add excitement, and I mostly brake to transition, and clutch kick entrys and to get more angle etc
Future_gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #502
chiboy002
Post Whore!

chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
can someone point me in the right direction for a ideal alignment for drifting? I know its mostly personal preference, but i was thinking that the tires kind of flexing when you turn, with camber, wouldn't be beneficial?

I'm pretty new to this suspension crap so i had no idea, and the shop worked primarily with Euro roadrace cars so they had no idea either... Right now the rears are -2.8, 0 toe, fronts -1.9 and 0 toe
Old 10-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #503
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
I know the cars setup quite well, I was lacking a proper setup to actually have traction. But next year that will change, dumpster tires don't help either...

2:00, 4:30, and 7:30, no good views of the entry tho

YouTube - Midwest Drift Union Round 2
no, what I'm asking is WHAT IS YOUR CARS SETUP that way we know why you said...mash mash mash...and then e brake. (or whatever you said)

so people can understand what kind of car requires what driving style.

fyi...i love and hate your wing at the same time. I think it's the position of the mounting point. i dont know. Love how huge it is! great looking z too.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #504
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
can someone point me in the right direction for a ideal alignment for drifting? I know its mostly personal preference, but i was thinking that the tires kind of flexing when you turn, with camber, wouldn't be beneficial?

I'm pretty new to this suspension crap so i had no idea, and the shop worked primarily with Euro roadrace cars so they had no idea either... Right now the rears are -2.8, 0 toe, fronts -1.9 and 0 toe
its all dependent on HP/knuckles/driver

but for a good base:
F
-2.5-3 CAMBER
maybe a smidge of toe out. like 1/16th each side

R
generally u want as lil camer as possible but, most work with what u got
toe all up to driver feel. but i think its toe in helps rotate the car a lil. i could be wrong
Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #505
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

toe in creates traction in the rear.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #506
otto_3478s
Zilvia Member

Ah ok ok my setup there was about 3 degrees neg camber in the rear, so extreme lack of traction. Front was prob about 3.5 neg. Caster no idea. Slight toe out front and rear. I have no actual number because I've never had it on a rack. Running stance coils, tension rods, rucas, traction rods for aftermarket suspension components. The dude with the Z was running like 4 degrees rear camber but also running ma-z1's in a 255 or 245 I believe. I'm in the white driftclutch.com S14.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #507
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33dori View Post
its all dependent on HP/knuckles/driver

but for a good base:
F
-2.5-3 CAMBER
maybe a smidge of toe out. like 1/16th each side

R
generally u want as lil camer as possible but, most work with what u got
toe all up to driver feel. but i think its toe in helps rotate the car a lil. i could be wrong
So i should be ok with my set up now? i pretty much have stock KA for the most part, except normal shit like exhaust and intake and crap, stock knuckles, and im relatively new to drifting so driver preference is 0 lol. I'll search more and then go have them fix it again, for free

Quote:
toe in creates traction in the rear.
good to know
Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #508
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
then i would worry to much about the camber... the negative will help you out for now. Just adj tire pressure to adj your grip level.

thanks Fckillerbee!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #509
otto_3478s
Zilvia Member

Toe in usually makes straight-line stable, less steering, toe out just a bit I feel is better for me. I run toe out to give the car a bit more responsive steering and overall turn in stability.

I could also see where toe in would help with traction issues slightly as well though, but I also wonder how much it would effect the cornering ability of the car... I think I need to try toe in on the rear, I bet a bit of toe in on the rear would probably be very beneficial to rear traction??
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #510
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33dori View Post
then i would worry to much about the camber... the negative will help you out for now. Just adj tire pressure to adj your grip level.

thanks Fckillerbee!
fooooooor sure! thanks guys, much help

Quote:
Toe in usually makes straight-line stable, less steering, toe out just a bit I feel is better for me. I run toe out to give the car a bit more responsive steering and overall turn in stability.

I could also see where toe in would help with traction issues slightly as well though, but I also wonder how much it would effect the cornering ability of the car... I think I need to try toe in on the rear, I bet a bit of toe in on the rear would probably be very beneficial to rear traction??
yeah the guys told me toe in would be better for braking and traction but toe out was for cornering ability. So they set it at 0* for 50/50 balance since neither of us knew what was optimal