Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #481
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Badass as always Bill.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #482
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
How come when i weld stainless it turns a dark grey color where the weld pool was? All of your guys's stuff is shiny or multi colored. I just did another 304 stainless exhaust and it is grey in at the weld line and the color change out from there.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #483
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
How come when i weld stainless it turns a dark grey color where the weld pool was? All of your guys's stuff is shiny or multi colored. I just did another 304 stainless exhaust and it is grey in at the weld line and the color change out from there.
Sounds like too much heat. I try and get the most penetration with the absolute least heat. Depending on the piece, strength might not be paramount, so you don't need full penetration.

What pressure are you running on the gas? If you use a gas diffuser nozzle, it slows down the gas and creates less turbulence (made for aluminum, hence the "Alumina" name they have, but they work well for steel) I rarely have welded without them in the last 3 years except for very tight spots. You can use less gas pressure then, saving $ too. Also, post flow on stainless for 3-5 seconds so the end of your bead doesn't get contaminated.
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #484
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Well said.

Also alot of people make the mistake of using rod or electrode that is too thick. That is what ends up making everything too hot. I use the smallest diameter rod and electrode.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #485
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
The actual bead width is about 2mm how could it be too much heat? It was 18 gauge 304 stainless. I swear my welds look different than everybody else. What amperage range would you guys use for that? i was running about 55-60amps tops for that. The welds look very similar to the mild steel exhaust i posted on page 2 or 3.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #486
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post
Those rims remind me of FN's

Love your work guys, wish i could weld. Im gonna take some welding classes next semester.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #487
blu808
Post Whore!

Quote:
The actual bead width is about 2mm how could it be too much heat? It was 18 gauge 304 stainless. I swear my welds look different than everybody else. What amperage range would you guys use for that? i was running about 55-60amps tops for that. The welds look very similar to the mild steel exhaust i posted on page 2 or 3.
What filler rod are you using?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #488
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

I don't use filler rod for the tube sections. But for the flanges and hangers i used a 308 filler rod.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #489
sillyvia13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used a bit of filler on this piece...
you like it...

and my new turbo...to my specs... looking to make a engine blow up! I mean make 7,000hp. my skillz are getting better...I may start a business!

Last edited by sillyvia13; 04-09-2008 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: forgot my snail pic.
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:46 AM   #490
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
hahah nice

I bet my welds are gonna look worse.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #491
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Wow Got Gas?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #492
sillyvia13
BANNED

sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Wow Got Gas?
cause thats hits on FIRE!

I was roaming around and found a WROST FAB THREAD , and seen these/...had TO!

lol...looks like bird shit from above fell into place.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #493
luisgonz
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyvia13 View Post
cause thats hits on FIRE!

I was roaming around and found a WROST FAB THREAD , and seen these/...had TO!

lol...looks like bird shit from above fell into place.
I think that piece of metal has some kind of metal rash problem.
luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #494
steve_o1989
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
steve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hahaha I love it. I think that the extra 1000hp those turbo fins add will balance out the fact that well..that the balance is now non existent.
1992 Talon Tsi - Sold
steve_o1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #495
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if that turbo spools... i think the world will explode
Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #496
fakts13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
are you back purging? if you are getting 100% penetration and not back purging, you might be getting contamination from the back of the weld. usually for fusion welding 18 gauge, i use about 45 amps and move quick to keep from getting 100% penetration (mostly on stuff after the turbo or headers where strength is not too important).
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #497
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Hey Welding Masters & Experts:

What would a good beginner MIG welder be? (112v)

Basically, I am just looking for something to get some practice with and build up decent skill/understanding. Eventually, I would like to do light rust repair work on body panels and possibly do some stitch welding on the chassis (if possible).

Any recommendations are helpful and your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
IIIXziuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #498
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
<=== Not an expert, by any means, but I've watched a lot of them work over the years. I just started actually practicing with a little Lincoln 120V that I rented from Home Depot - in my area, it was $40 (+ about $9 for a spool of wire) for a 24hr rental... that was plenty of time for me to play around with laying some beads on 1/8" bar stock, and seam weld my S14 chassis.

About seam welding, I got some great advice from this thread... I used a 'fine' wire wheel and some 100grit sandpaper (for corners) and took everything down to bare metal, then hit it with acetone, then used very low voltage to build up a small (probably 1/8") bead, and placed them every 2" or so along every seam I could get to. Biggest ones are the two tranny humps and the strut towers, but also did other places around the car. Then I cleaned it all, and sealed it up with some automotive primer. Thanks for all the inspiration/examples guys! I'll post pics within the next couple days for the Zilvia critique

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #499
blu808
Post Whore!

Sorry ive been lagging on the updates guys.

Here an m3 exhaust I welded today.

Came out great.

O yea I finished the fc. Early numbers are .

470 ft lbs of tq, to the wheels at only 5 psi.
380 hp.

STOCK engine. + turbo. With more tuning should hit 550 whp, 600 wht.

Viper brembos.

Cold air.

Money shot.

And back to more fab. If you didn't see the other thread.

Here is a camaro I made some parts for.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #500
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
HOE LEE SHEET.

i believe that caps were quite appropriate in this situation.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #501
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
damn, that camaro is so badass. Nice M3 exhaust too!
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #502
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey what size of mild steel tubing to you guys thinks I should use to make a fender brace. Also if i make intercooler pipeing out of aluminum how thick should it be?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #503
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Most of the fender braces I see made are 1" square tubing with 1/8" brackets welded on. They're pretty simple to fab, only a couple angles.

As far as intercooler piping, I've never done aluminum because it's so much harder to find someone to weld aluminum for free I'd imagine it's not an exact science, just find a good deal on some piping that's the correct diameter (either 2", 2.5" or 3", depending on your setup).

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #504
melna8

melna8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey what's up guys, new here to the forum and im not sure if this i the right spot to post this, so before I get some search response remember im new to this forum and have done some searching.
well anyways I've been thinking of making a custom hood to release some heat and losing some pounds,im planning on swapping in a SR hopefully in 5-6months but wanted to get this idea rolling and started, below is something i ran into that was as close to "custom" I've seen It's not exactly the set up I had in mind seen how I am going to be running a s13 front end, where would be the best place to make the cut? Does it matter that I do this cut now before i install the SR(positioning reasons)?

and as far as weight, what do you guys think about cutting the reinforced framing to lose some pounds? I know the easy way would be to just buy a carbon fiber or fiber glass hood but, I was just thinking of this first, seen how i already have my s13 hood in my garage waiting for some attention:hammer: good idea? bad idea? any helpful information or links/examples would be great. Also just want to give some major props on a lot of custom work people have done on here,GOOD JOB! keep it up.
melna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #505
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Lots of guys 'gut' their stock metal hoods. You just should use hood pins when you do, to help keep the hood off your windshield.

As far as cutting in to "help airflow", think on this: most companies that make hoods don't even know exactly where to put vents for proper airflow. There are just too many variables. You can try to vent the stock hood, but you should really have some ducting to help the air flow into (or out of) the vent from the engine bay. Most of the time, you're better off just making sure you're using a good fan with a shroud on a good radiator that's been properly bled for the best cooling.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #506
blu808
Post Whore!

I would just leave it and get the new engine running strong. The area that you have selected is still in the positive pressure zone on the frontal area of a 180sx. Unless you have some serious ducting with a nice schroud, then it would help with cooling.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #507
melna8

melna8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great thanks for the info guys, I was only thinking of taking off the framing from underneath the hood because some parts are broken off so instead of just welding them back on i was just going to cut them off and save some weight(5lbs?) and get some hood pins,as far as the ducts i might not do them,and go with a good radiator and some nice fans, what would you guys suggest? affordable yet great? I know you get what you pay for so nothings wrong with throwing some expensive names out, I know some people have gone with Altima fans and a koyo radiator but what would be some other options? sorry don't mean to throw this thread off topic
melna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #508
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
luke, someone said they saw a fc that color, in your old neighborhood, is some one driving it around?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #509
blu808
Post Whore!

I was driving it around.

Prob hanging out at my friend erics house.

Why? what they say?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #510
sillyvia13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
I was driving it around.

Prob hanging out at my friend erics house.

Why? what they say?
said someone saw a fc that color driving around I bet!
its posted right above you post! lol..