Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #5191
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban4 View Post
Ok thanks for the input, and I didn't mean put them between the rack and offset spacers, I meant between the offset spacer and actual tie rod. Anyone tried that?
This just makes your tie rod longer, and does nothing for angle. I guess it could be a "fine adjustment spacer" If you needed a couple more threads for your outer tie rod to thread on...

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #5192
Ichiban4
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Ichiban4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
This just makes your tie rod longer, and does nothing for angle. I guess it could be a "fine adjustment spacer" If you needed a couple more threads for your outer tie rod to thread on...
Ok yea thats what I was thinking, too keep from having to change tie rods again if possible.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #5193
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If those GKTech spacers are anything like the ERA-1 that I have (they look very similar) they add 42mm per side, I dont know where they get that 18mm measurment.

I extended my LCA's 40mm to match and still ended up having to extend my adjustable outers by ~10mm to reach. I figured that the forward relocation of the inner (via spacer) would cancel out the extra tie rod length required when using modified knuckles, but apparently not.

In regards to wheel size, in order to keep the wheel off the tension rod at full lock, you will need maximum inboard clearance. You can squeeze 17x9 +0 with 215/40 under stock fenders, but if you run LCA's any longer than S14, you can forget about that. At that point, go with 17x8 +0, otherwise you will need wider front fenders.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #5194
ska
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxris View Post
Right now they have 2 versions that gets 5-7 and 8-10 degrees ackerman.

So 45mm RC drop and 5-7 or 8-10 degrees of Ackerman.
I have not finished reading this thread but does the more angle the knuckle produce, the more quick steering it is? Or does the degree of Ackerman generally imply quicker steering?

Where can I find Information about the Cor integration knuckles
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5195
tobroketobuildarealcar
Zilvia Junkie

tobroketobuildarealcar is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is great keep the good Information flowing
tobroketobuildarealcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #5196
Ichiban4
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
If those GKTech spacers are anything like the ERA-1 that I have (they look very similar) they add 42mm per side, I dont know where they get that 18mm measurment.

I extended my LCA's 40mm to match and still ended up having to extend my adjustable outers by ~10mm to reach. I figured that the forward relocation of the inner (via spacer) would cancel out the extra tie rod length required when using modified knuckles, but apparently not.

In regards to wheel size, in order to keep the wheel off the tension rod at full lock, you will need maximum inboard clearance. You can squeeze 17x9 +0 with 215/40 under stock fenders, but if you run LCA's any longer than S14, you can forget about that. At that point, go with 17x8 +0, otherwise you will need wider front fenders.
Oh ok wow, yea I dont want to extend that much. I will look into it a little more detailed then and find out which route to go.

As for wheel sizing I run 17x9j -11 up front right now with the ability to go lower offset if I add even more camber, which will be done with the extended LCAs anyways.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #5197
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
slidewayz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Oh ok wow, yea I dont want to extend that much. I will look into it a little more detailed then and find out which route to go.

As for wheel sizing I run 17x9j -11 up front right now with the ability to go lower offset if I add even more camber, which will be done with the extended LCAs anyways.
adding camber with an extended lca wont allow you to run a lower offset wheel. this will just push the wheel/tire closer to the fender.
slidewayz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #5198
Ichiban4
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
adding camber with an extended lca wont allow you to run a lower offset wheel. this will just push the wheel/tire closer to the fender.
Ya you're right I had a brain fart or something I don't know why I said that haha..
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #5199
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
does the more angle the knuckle produce, the more quick steering it is? Or does the degree of Ackerman generally imply quicker steering?
There is a photo on the first page that shows how modified knuckles provide more angle. You get quicker steering because of the shortened tie rod pickup point. The same amount of steering input now provides greater amount of movement at the knuckle.

Ackerman is the difference in steering angle between the inside and outside wheel. From the factory, there is greater ackerman to allow for smooth turn in at lower speeds. In drifting, minimal ackerman is beneficial because both front wheels will be pointed in the same direction at full lock as opposed to the trailing wheel scrubbing speed.

Maybe someone can chime in as to ackerman and road racing, but i believe less than stock ackerman allows for greater speed in mid to high speed turns.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #5200
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

90240sx07 is an unknown quantity at this point
has anyone on here ran the abercrombie motorsports full kit (subframe knuckles extended lca and tierods) and a ackerman setup trying to find a good setup for relatively cheap at the moment while still be quality or know if i can run the wisefab ackerman setup with other knuckles
Abercrombie Motor Sports
90240sx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #5201
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90240sx07 View Post
has anyone on here ran the abercrombie motorsports full kit (subframe knuckles extended lca and tierods) and a ackerman setup trying to find a good setup for relatively cheap at the moment while still be quality or know if i can run the wisefab ackerman setup with other knuckles
Abercrombie Motor Sports
There are a couple people on here that are running the abercrombie kit I believe.

I'm not sure what you mean about running the "wisefab ackerman setup" with other knuckles, the wisefab knuckles and ackerman adjustment kit are far different from most knuckles on the market, and is not compatible with any kind of stock knuckle. I guess if you really wanted to you could make your own adaptation of it.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #5202
koukistylejdm
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
koukistylejdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here it is i wanted to share this thanks for any comments or advice i found i need longer tie rods other than that evrything looks fine imo maybe the 225/40R18 wich are tight tight tight fit

koukistylejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #5203
Ichiban4
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukistylejdm View Post
Here it is i wanted to share this thanks for any comments or advice i found i need longer tie rods other than that evrything looks fine imo maybe the 225/40R18 wich are tight tight tight fit

Nice setup, do you have any idea on the angle? Looks good just the angle doesn't look all that amazing for the money I know you spent on it..
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #5204
koukistylejdm
Zilvia Member

i should try to mesure the angle it doesnt look that crazy to my eyes also but its on the point where the knuckle hit the stopper on the lca so it should be the max angle their kit provide
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #5205
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukistylejdm View Post
i should try to mesure the angle it doesnt look that crazy to my eyes also but its on the point where the knuckle hit the stopper on the lca so it should be the max angle their kit provide
What all do you have done aside from the things in the picture? Are you running offset rack spacers, relocated the steering rack forward, slip on tie rod spacers? you should be able to get more angle out of it than you have with just a few adjustments.

I am running 1.5" longer s13 lcas, ikea formula inner tierods with no slip on spacer, moog s14 outer tierod ends, and i moved my steering rack 1" forward. using PBM 1st gen max angle kit. Tein super drift coilovers and rotated my top hats to be camber/caster correct (positioned so the strut is slid as far towards the front of the car and with as much camber as i can). I can see a difference from mine to yours even tho the angle of the picture is different. I am almost over centering the rack with it moved forward.

<---front of car, taken looking down on the drivers side front wheel.

can see how I have my top hats positioned in this pic.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #5206
koukistylejdm
Zilvia Member

my top hats are almost that way but only caster oriented, i got the steering rack moved a bit with pbm eccentric bushings thats it ,
-tein s14 inner tie rod ( too short) a34 maxima tie rods on order, megan racing outer tie rods, 6mm tie rod spacer, 30mm wheel spacer, track widened a bit over an inch

i dont see how it can provide more angle than that... and dont see any bigger angle on your pictures either
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #5207
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

You can take off the bump stop on the lca if you are not over centering yet. Also, moving the wheel back in the wheel well will reduce over centering and increase angle.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #5208
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Ff3OQsV4Q
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #5209
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
That wisefab knuckle looks kind of rad, would be interested to see what it actually has built into it other than some RC correction... Adjusted toe & camber curve too?

Somewhat related, I am convinced that every car with wisefab parts has to look weird.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #5210
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope they fixed the natural tendancy to add toe out on braking ... although it is kind of good for drifters
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #5211
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
There are a couple people on here that are running the abercrombie kit I believe.

I'm not sure what you mean about running the "wisefab ackerman setup" with other knuckles, the wisefab knuckles and ackerman adjustment kit are far different from most knuckles on the market, and is not compatible with any kind of stock knuckle. I guess if you really wanted to you could make your own adaptation of it.
ya i know realize this after looking at both setups but if i go abercrombie what would be a good way to fix ackerman
Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #5212
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
wow lots has happened since i was not around for quite some time! Hmmm! What's new? I see there's some other kits being made and def tearing them apart. Any grip specific ones, I see a double wishbone conversion if im not mistaken?

Someone give me the cliffnotes for last 5-6 months lol
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #5213
My$800S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
My$800S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
ya i know realize this after looking at both setups but if i go abercrombie what would be a good way to fix ackerman
The Abercrombie setup has 8-10* of ackerman, wereas the wisefab kit has as little as zero, if you are looking for low ackerman the Abercrombie kit is not for you, considering you would have to cut and reweld the knuckles for lower ackerman, the Abercrombie lca's and crossmember are still a great deal for you to buy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #5214
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Nice setup, do you have any idea on the angle? Looks good just the angle doesn't look all that amazing for the money I know you spent on it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
What all do you have done aside from the things in the picture? Are you running offset rack spacers, relocated the steering rack forward, slip on tie rod spacers? you should be able to get more angle out of it than you have with just a few adjustments.

I am running 1.5" longer s13 lcas, ikea formula inner tierods with no slip on spacer, moog s14 outer tierod ends, and i moved my steering rack 1" forward. using PBM 1st gen max angle kit. Tein super drift coilovers and rotated my top hats to be camber/caster correct (positioned so the strut is slid as far towards the front of the car and with as much camber as i can). I can see a difference from mine to yours even tho the angle of the picture is different. I am almost over centering the rack with it moved forward.
Guys, that is a TON of angle. First of all, it's in the air, so that isn't exactly a accurate representation of the true angle. Secondly, everyone has become accustomed to seeing Wisefab pics that even some major angle seems "mediocre". Thirdly, slidewayz240, the OG PSM knuckles kinda suck, and in the pictures your angle looks less than his, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Cool Wisefab video.
Yeah this looks pretty sweet, I saw it on facebook this morning. I'm interested to hear the breakdown when they release the explanation video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
That wisefab knuckle looks kind of rad, would be interested to see what it actually has built into it other than some RC correction... Adjusted toe & camber curve too?

Somewhat related, I am convinced that every car with wisefab parts has to look weird.
I'm assuming they're going to tell all when they release another video, more like their front knuckle videos, where they go through the advantages of their kit.

Yeah that's now his demo car, so looks are probably less thought of than function. Some flares in the front and overs in the rear and it would look pretty normal.

Quote:
I think you might be confused. Ackerman is already greatly reduced with almost every modified knuckle out there, so you have to pick one that's right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
wow lots has happened since i was not around for quite some time! Hmmm! What's new? I see there's some other kits being made and def tearing them apart. Any grip specific ones, I see a double wishbone conversion if im not mistaken?

Someone give me the cliffnotes for last 5-6 months lol
TDP's kit has improved (IE lighter, better self steer, etc) and you can dial in positive ackerman and run a sway bar now. This is probably the most "grip oriented" kit besides GKtech's knuckles and the PSM Pro Grip.

GKtech has started production, and has several steering arms, two of which are grip specific. They are listed in the first posts.

PSM has released their forged Pro Drift knuckle, but can still make the Pro Grip knuckle if you'd like.

Wisefab is about to come out with a complete rear kit (see video above).

I think that's about it.

Here's some random pics of TDP's kit in action. The front wheels are 18x9.5+0 (spacers), they poke pretty far on this car. I spoke with him, he's running that much camber on purpose, not because you have to with the kit.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #5215
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
wow ridankulusssss lol

thanks for the update. So as of now TDP and GKtech are the ones that have the most serious grip oriented/billet/light/etc... setup?

The rear kit video got me excited then it just goes to "coming soon" LOL well i guess its coming soon I was expecting a review/video of how it was working inboard cam etc... ah well
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #5216
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
wow ridankulusssss lol

thanks for the update. So as of now TDP and GKtech are the ones that have the most serious grip oriented/billet/light/etc... setup?

The rear kit video got me excited then it just goes to "coming soon" LOL well i guess its coming soon I was expecting a review/video of how it was working inboard cam etc... ah well
I'd say so, yes.

Yeah they'll release the video shortly I'm sure.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #5217
90240sx07
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by My$800S14 View Post
The Abercrombie setup has 8-10* of ackerman, wereas the wisefab kit has as little as zero, if you are looking for low ackerman the Abercrombie kit is not for you, considering you would have to cut and reweld the knuckles for lower ackerman, the Abercrombie lca's and crossmember are still a great deal for you to buy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
thanks guys just trying to find a good knuckle for local drift events as i learn
i get pretty lost with making corrections to fix my suspension geometry as im still learning and researching anyone have any suggestions on a reasonable priced good quality and good for drifting with a good amount of angle
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #5218
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
thanks guys just trying to find a good knuckle for local drift events as i learn
i get pretty lost with making corrections to fix my suspension geometry as im still learning and researching anyone have any suggestions on a reasonable priced good quality and good for drifting with a good amount of angle
Abercrombie is a good basic knuckle, as are MA-Motorsports awesometron 5000's. Cor Integration is another one to look up, their knuckles are cheap and have roll center adjustment. They make a 5-7* knuckle, which is pretty darn close to zero ackerman.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #5219
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I hope they fixed the natural tendancy to add toe out on braking ... although it is kind of good for drifters
The factory designed the suspension to toe IN on braking, have you slammed yo sheet? Also the thing with traction arms is that they imo they must be fitted together with camber arms and be lengthened as much.
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #5220
tobroketobuildarealcar
Zilvia Junkie

tobroketobuildarealcar is an unknown quantity at this point
If I am posting in the wrong place please disregard this post

Has any one had any experience with d max knuckles and are the rool center and acreman corrected
tobroketobuildarealcar is offline   Reply With Quote