Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #541
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
brianglawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
Subscribed, Loving it!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #542
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Update:

So I was able to get the dash fully mounted with power and everything. But I needed to use a fuse and holder for the dash just for some extra protection....even though I'm using the OEM circuit which was already protected. So I purchased these little guys from radio shack

Opened up the software to get my screens set, and set up warning lights etc

And wanted to change some units..from lambda to AFR so I had to do a little bit of research.

Got it all figured so that screen 1 displays:
Water Temp.........Oil Temp.........Oil Pressure

Screen 2
TPS.............Boost................AFR

Screen 3
EGT Front.......EGT Rear.......Air Intake Temp

Screen 4
Battery V........TPS..........Boost/Vac/Map

Screen 5

Unsure of what to put so I just left the default.

I Can always go back and change things but As of right now...that's really all I need.

Set up my Warning's for all important things, and even the Sweet ass shift lights.

And Finally Finished

Came out Pretty damn good. There are a couple small bubbles that piss me off....but you couldn't pay me to make that damn thing again. Well I guess you could...But It would have to be under my own terms haha. I'll be putting a couple things here and there on the display surround. But The main thing is it's perfectly visible through my Steering wheel gap while I'm in the drivers seat, And by that I mean I could see everything. The buttons were easily accessible...which they are thanks to my long monkey arms. And the thing was sturdy enough not to worry about. Which it is VERY sturdy. Feels just as strong as OEM...maybe more because my Push Button start plate actually sandwhiches the surround between the mount points. And lastly...that if there were a problem with the dash... I wouldn't have to cut a bunch of wires and re-route everything to get it in/out. And I accomplished that. The supplied Mil-spec connectors were really useful here and they really compliment the dash well/ease of install. I did mess up though. I forgot to connect the Alt Charge Light to the top Connector 1 #10 pin... so I took the car out for a drive and It ran Amazing....then would hardly idle super crappy because the ALT wasn't charging the batt. I was @ 7 Volts...surprised the damn car even idled on its own. Freaked me out for a second till I saw the log..which Is now just part of my own protocol after I install something lol.

All In all, I couldn't be happier with how the car is running currently.
The New OIl
Diff Fluid
NGK R7420's
Race Tech Dash 2 Display unit
Full Tank of Ethanol and Benol premix
and full 18Lbs of boost ....SERIOUSLY has never felt better.

I couldn't believe how strong the car pulls. And I'll have to take note to make sure I am logging Miles/Events on Diff Fluid. This is the third change and the Diff was getting kind of loud. It's always going to clunk. But the New Fluid Helps a ton.
Sat I'll be At Balcony just to give the car a shakedown after the Shakedown for the Just Drift Pre ASB Event. Going to burn up a couple sets of tires and call it an early day. Then save some Cash cheddah flow for tires for ASB. I really wish I could afford to have the car painted before ASB....but it's just not in the budget. I'll see you guys out there and don't be afraid to say whats up!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #543
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I can't see how this car can get any better outside of paint. It really is amazing. If I were to nit pick I'd question why all of the lines of carbon fiber weave are not going in the same direction like Pagani. Yup I said it. Great work pal.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #544
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
I can't see how this car can get any better outside of paint. It really is amazing. If I were to nit pick I'd question why all of the lines of carbon fiber weave are not going in the same direction like Pagani. Yup I said it. Great work pal.
Thanks man! It's funny you mention the lines... I actually took note to make sure the "Weave" was going the correct way... but after 4 Fails in getting the Di-noc 3m wrap to actually seat without air bubbles....(kept messing up in one spot) I lost patience and got pissed and didn't care to make sure it was lined up with the rest. Probably going to put some cool Stickers over the little bubbles on the dash.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #545
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

Just Drift- Pre ASB Test and Tune event @ Willow Springs

Well the whole week leading up to the event went damn smooth. I double checked and triple checked everything, oil was changed, diff fluid, plugs. Car had never felt better. The day before the event on Fri, I was notified that my trailer might not be available. So I went to a local business and rented one for 60 bucks. Not too bad. But it was a pain because the width. ......I literally had about 2" total before I destroyed my wheels on the sides of the trailer. Because of this it took me 45 min on my own to load the car up. Parking in the driveway like this is really helpful angle wise..and makes getting on and off a breeze.

I ended up working Friday, so I did all of this in the morning before going to my second job down in LA. Loaded up the car and had it waiting for me so the next morning I could simply hook up the trailer and be on my way. Got home at 3AM, and was feeling really tired, but I couldn't wait till morning to get out on the track!
You know....there's a major sense of satisfaction when your towing your car. Can't remember when I've felt so proud. Moments like this when you just thank life for giving you the means to produce everything you have. It was a beautiful morning.

Got to the track behind a few friends and we all decided we'd share a pit spot.

Drivers meeting, designated groups and everyone was ready to rip.
Even though I was in the A group, I decided to wait and warm my car up before I went out on track. About 5 min Later... I lined up, waited for the next car to finish their run and Got the go flag. Dropped the clutch and spun through first.... then Second.. then Back fire..Back fire...and Limp Mode.. Looked up and saw a bit of smoke from my hood and made a U-turn to stage and cut the car off. Opened the Hood and saw Oil....Literally EVERYWHERE.
Got a tow back to the pits.... and saw that my Oil Feed line to my turbo was Loose at the source. The front Iron. Backed it out to have a look and was heart-broken to find it had Cracked

This sucked pretty bad as you could imagine. And the first thing I thought of was months and months ago when I was installing the feed line. The Fitting I used......I really had to crank it in there in order to get it to seal properly...and even then I sed Honda-bond High Temp on the threads to be sure it didn't leak as it has always in the past. Now I remember telling myself I should just make sure it was the correct thread size....but it's been the same fitting since I rebuilt the engine originally and I kept thinking "well it's been on there since the beginning, should be fine." But Obviously....it wasn't. The fitting I used was an NPT fitting that actually tapers out towards the base of the fitting. This is a big No No. I'm pretty positive the problem was just too many cycles,...Moderate power..and the fact that this was the coldest morning I had actually ever driven the car in. When I originally put the fitting in there...It was tight from the first turn.....Stupid of me. But all I can do at this point is live and learn.

Damned fitting

I stayed at the track for about 30 min to watch a bit.....but It was really kind of killing me. A few friends offered to let me drive their cars....but I kind decided I'd just sit it out. Thanks Eddie and everyone else who helped me push the car back onto the trailer. I went home, unloaded the car, dropped the trailer back off at the local renter and went home to look at the wolf. I got home and realized I had the day off from work....then I started doing Math. ANd realized that I could still make All Star Bash.
So I pulled the Motor, made a few Phone calls, and Mr. Howard Coleman is sending me a new ported Front Iron, and it should be shipped out by tomorrow. Can't thank him enough for putting in the rush Job.
I'll take the motor down and Me and Abel are going to do the swap. I havn't gotten this far only to miss ASB Yet again for the 3rd year.

A Nice Good Look at my Parts. Kind of cool to see them all off like this...but then again..Not at all.

So The question has been brought up about Detonation and the possibility of Mis-firing causing this damage. And yes it is a possibility, but I highly doubt it. And the reason why is the car really isn't making all that much power. I'm running Ethanol, and timing is Moderately conservative especially for E85 (17 Degrees). On top of that, Although I didn't log when the failure happened.... I did take a log before I put the car on the trailer. 18.34Lbs of boost at 8100RPM @ 11.7 AFR and EGT's 673/678 Celsius which equates to 1240's F. It was about 63 Degrees F outside so it wassss the coolest I've driven the car on this new build....but it wasn't cold by any means.. the car was warmed up to 73 Degrees Celsius....and maybe that was a contributing factor... Who knows. All I know is that to make sure this doesn't happen again... We may end up pulling even more of the timing, and I won't be using this location again. I'll simply use the extra port on my oil filter pedestal. I'm hustling to make ASB. THis does cut into my tire fund.. but At this point.. If I make it and am able to drive. I'll be Amped. More Updates to come.

Oh yea... and PS. To all the people that love to say the car is over-built, and say all sorts of other negative things. I got nothing but love for you guys. I take your criticism as motivation to over build the car as much as I want to.... because it's my car and not yours. I was talking to a buddy of mine about earlier this week. And he's right. These are the people who are ruining the scene. They don't add anything to it, and they definitely don't have the hustle and work ethic to get a car together, so for everyone out there who is building your own car, to drive, and drive hard. Don't let negative people get you down. They are the definition of haters and they secretly wish they were in the drivers seat of a car like yours. Their hate just helps them feel better about the fact they they're not in your position.

More Updates soon

I will do everything I can to make and Drive ASB!!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #546
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
coty_garcia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Handle it man! Definitely hoping you can get this together for ASB! My goal was to make ASB this year with a build of my own but the shell i bought turned out to be a hot car from a guy who kept telling me he will have the paperwork next week, week after week. Had the car with everything ready to drop in the RB but I had it parked out in front and the next thing I knew, she was getting flatbedded and towed off. Since then, life & school have just kind of sucked up my funds to keep going. Cheers to you man. Hopefully I can make it out to ASB and see this thing rip.

ps... good statement about the haters. Much feels.
coty_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #547
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Tough break buddy, that really sucks. At least failure occurred under somewhat a controlled situation. I'm glad to hear the ball is already rolling! You hit the nail on the head with Haters. Keep the party going man, you're doing a great job!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #548
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

"Summon the Hustle"

In the Midst of the unfortunate failure.... there are a few things I've come to realize. The first is...I work best by staying "in it." .....Which means that I don't like to take breaks. When an issue comes to.... I'd much rather figure it, handle it, improve/fix it, and just all around handle it rather than sit around and mope around about how devastating it is. This isn't the first time someone's run into a problem with a rotary...let alone track car. And the second thing is....this isn't the last time i'll be pulling the motor out. This winter I want to do more upgrades.. It'll most likely require pulling the engine out again. This isn't a big deal to me and I'm okay with doing it. You know when people ask me now "what happened?!" I don't really want to respond in anyother way than just saying..."it's a track car." It's almost like...what do you mean what happened? I'm pushing the limits of myself and the car. There are a million things that can go wrong,...and if things aren't handled the way they should be, or set up the way they should be, or even fluke mis-haps...will in fact be exposed if your pushing the car. I've heard older more experienced people say theres a huge difference between a street car and a track car. And that rings very true. But it's again.. an even larger difference between owning a 400 WHP street car and a 400WHP track car. It's a dumb comparison...but I've seen 500+WHP fd's on the street last for a while. But chances are......if you take that same car to the track... it'd be done halfway through the session let alone event. And there is nothing wrong with owning a 400 WHP+ Street car at all. But the fact is.....it doesn't see the same abuse.
Things will happen at the track that you'd most likely never even notice on the street. With that said.. I've also gotten quite a bit of criticism from people and or groups and call it whatever... but I don't like the feeling. It bothers me when I sit and think about it but it's pointless banter otherwise. But it does reinforce the reason I've built this car in my garage on my own. I don't hang out with any which shop and I'm perfectly fine with that. I have had help, and I appreciate the people who have lent out the hand. But there is a huge difference between these real friends, and others who really just want to get a word in to be right. And that...is very annoying. It's like, you don't own a running car, and if you do it doesn't see the track, and if it see's the track it goes once every 3 years, the car has a completely different set up... yet they have the nerve to say something negative just to make it seem like they're right. And if they were right.....guess what? It's still my car, i'll still fix it, i'll still drive it the way I want and that'll be that. So to the same group of dudes that know how to build everyone else's car and don't have the hustle to "Over-build" their own car.... High Fives all around and I hope one day You get it.

For me.... I keep pushing until I'm satisfied.

And so on with the update.

To help prevent this mishap in the future...

I've taken a couple steps to reinforce things.
I have a Turblown Stud kit sitting with the engine currently (Just in case)
and I'll be taking the Zip ties off my spark plug wires to make sure they won't get the chance to touch (to help prevent the possibility of a cross-fire).
Again..I don't know how all of the sudden this could just happen out of no where...but I'm not going to play ignorant and leave the issue labeled as a freak accident.

Me and Abel are tearing the engine down Saturday Night, and assembling it back again sunday morning with the New ported iron. Updates to follow.
Stud kit and Iron

Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #549
dat925stunna
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
dat925stunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
man this thread is full of awesomeness make my build look like shit

The heep S14
dat925stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #550
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I definitely feel your struggle man. I had just finished building an SR for my car in January, it saw maybe 6-7k street miles and about 2 hours of total abuse when cyl 1 let go at an event in the end of August. It was and is my daily driver so I had to limp it around on the remaining 3 cylinders for a month til I could afford to fix it. Last weekend I worked pretty much non stop to pull the motor, build a new short block, swap the head over and have it all back together. Just so I could make it to work on Monday.

Keep up the hard work and I'm sure it'll pay off when you get to rip around at asb.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #551
Hoonigan19
Leaky Injector

Hoonigan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude, you got a serious case of OCD but that's a good thing. Very detailed and creative and innovative. Fucking love reading this build. Just read 19 pages of it and I'm well beyond my bed time. Inspiration for sure! Keep it up man!
Hoonigan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #552
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for all the kind words guys! can't stop won't stop!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #553
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Not that this applies to many of you guys. Strictly a rotary thing. But This guy had the same exact problem. No sign of Knock. Safe tune, Running E85, 15lbs of boost compared to my 18 lbs. PHantom Failure cracking the front Iron in the exact same spot...

http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generatio...ppens-1063618/

My guess is Higher Combustion chamber pressure. I was running Race plugs and the car felt stronger than ever.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #554
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Respect for still pushing for ASB. I know that sinking feeling in the gut too well. I really want to see some glossy action shots of this thing. Keep at it man.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #555
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

"Late night diligence"

Last night I was able to get some much needed cleaning and prep done on my fuel system and turbo kit.

When I say diligence. I mean it's one of those things you hate to do because there is nothing enjoyable about it. I lost nearly 3.5-4 Quarts of Oil due to the Iron crack. There is splatter mark of where the oil Hit my Hood and my hood acted as the perfect diffuser to spread Nice fresh 5-30 All over everything in the bay. There is no question to it......It just HAS to be cleaned. I started with my Fuel system lines/LIM/Rails/Injectors/Heat sleeve. I had to take it all apart to clean everything because the oil spread like the plague. I originally cringed upon my first real inspection because I figured the Oil had made it's way in between the heat sleeving and the actual line...but looking closer,....there were only very small sections that's had been compromised. So I didn't need to remove much of it at all. Just a couple frayed ends etc.
I pulled my I.D. injectors out of a bag I had put them in to re-inspect. They were the only things I pulled immediately and cleaned with brake cleaner and Regular gasoline because I've heard Ethanol has been known to gunk up injectors if you let the alky sit for a while. After I cleaned them, I put them in a little sealed zip-loc and set them aside. Everything else sat up until last night with Oil ALL over it. But I pulled the Top hats off the injectors to inspect the O-rings and they were good. Pulled the Full Function Engineering INjector seats off the bottom on the Nozzle side of the I.D.'s and found that one of the Yellow O-rings was cracked halfway through. I couldnt' force myself to re-use it. "preventative maintenance, so luckily I had ordered spares a while back. Replated the O-rings..completely cleaned out the EXCESSIVE LIM with Brake cleaner and a wire brush, Installed the secondary Rail with I.D. 2k's, and realized that one of my Helicoil's was sticking out on the thread "In" side about half a thread. ....sooooOCD kicked in....I un installed the entire assembly.. pulled the old helicoil out...and re-installed another Helicoil kit to fit my standards. Re-installed everything. Had to clean the LIM one last time, sealed it with Masking tape, closed off my fuel lines and set the assembly aside for quick install when we get the engine back together.
Next was my EFR turbo kit. Luckily....there wasn't much Oil on the assembly. The EFR8374, Turblown Long runner Manifold,Dual Turbo-smart comp gate 40's, Turbosource Inconel shield and heat sleeve just needed a quick brake clean spray and wipe up. But there wasn't much Oil on it at all. Prob burned off or luckily escaped the golden shower.....HaHa. I inspected the Turblown Long runner manifold flange and it looks straight as ever. Put my flat edge on it and confirmed. Low EGT's are good for everything it seems. With that completed I set my turbo assembly in the "ready to install" group and went to inspect the massacre of an engine bay.
My sub-frame was filled with oil......everywhere. Luckily a lot of my Wiring was covered by the UIM but there were sections that I had to suck it up and really clean to get the oil off. Worst thing is grabbing a wire or lead and getting oil on your hand. I Hate that...or touching something and immediately having to wash your hands because of gunk, soot, oil...dirt..you name it. So Clean I did. For nearly an hour...and I haven't even gotten to the under-carriage Worse areas were the hollows in between the partitions of the Sub-frame. Getting in there was a task. Used 2 full cans of Brake cleaner....so I have to go get more. But this wasn't much fun. Aside from that, the wheel wells, side frame areas weren't all that oily. Spots here and there. Saved my lovely Hot Magenta paint. Cleaned off the Hood and decided to call it a night.

So today I'll be able to get to cleaning the Under-carriage, cleaning and prepping the UIM and organize my tools so that when the engine keg is finished sat or sunday morning.. I can come home and install it ASAP. I need at least 2 Days to put miles on the set up. My largest worry aside from not making the event is Being "That Guy" at ASB14 and messing up everyone's session. The car needs to be in tip top shape. Which means, no leaks, No spots, no drips..not a single mist of anything that could potentially make a mess of the track. Over Half my Tire money has been re-routed to fixing the car in parts etc. So I'm not going to have much tire for the weekend. But I should have at least 4 Sets. Anyways. Back to Getting the wolf back to life. As long as everything goes smoothly..there really isn't much else to do other than being diligent in installing, everything....which really does take care. I'm so far past using any bolt to fasten something....or letting something go that questions my "piece of mind." Because every time you do that....it brings a potential failure point to the table. And the track will Eat it up... the track WILL EXPOSE ALL of these little dumb things that are overlooked. It's to the point where If I see a fastener with a gnulled thread... I throw it away immediately. These things matter...and those who take care of these things...see less troubles/failures/breaks....guaranteed.
Anyways...I could go on but here are some pics!!
Garbage I.D. O-ring

Nice new O-rings....replaced both even though the other yellow one "seemed" ok.

Re-installing a new Helicoil

Nice Clean and fresh Fuel system with Excessive Lower Intake Manifold

Nice Clean Turbo system. The Turblown Long runner manifold is Awesome. Turned a nice rainbowish hue all over. Turbosource Inconel Turbo Gasket Shows zero signs of Fatigue..excessive heat/Blow out/leaking...or wear at all..so it stays un-touched..and installed. Aint broke...don't touch it. And the Turbo-Smart Comp Gate 40's look brand new still......aside from their Rainbow Hue.

And she sleeps for a few more days. Gotta love this Garage though.

Itinerary:

- Clean and Prep Chassis and Parts for re-installation
-Move turbo Oil feed line to Filter Pedestal (decided there are more benefits to moving it than simply getting a replacement fitting) Although I will be correctly blocking it off with the correct size fitting.
-Re-build engine sat/sun
-Re-install Engine Sun
-Start New set up Monday
-Test set up Mon-fri

- All Star Bash 2014
Old 10-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #556
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Respect for still pushing for ASB. I know that sinking feeling in the gut too well. I really want to see some glossy action shots of this thing. Keep at it man.
Thanks man!! I'm Hustling for it!! I appreciate the Support!!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #557
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
do work, man. i've got faith you'll make it in time!
you're extremely motivated. its inspiring.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #558
nissanduster
Leaky Injector

nissanduster is an unknown quantity at this point
great car happy to see everything going good.
nissanduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #559
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

This should be you on the track

Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #560
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^LOL .....Needs a couple MJ kicks in there but that just about sums it up!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #561
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Might seriously be the best GIF I have ever seen.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #562
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

its pretty excellent.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #563
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

coty_garcia is an unknown quantity at this point
looking forward to todays update! lol
coty_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #564
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ i'm exhausted. Got home at 2AM last night and up at 5 for work this morning. The Engine is complete. Zero Internal Damage. Won't have time to Put it in till Tomorrow night. Which means I'm pretty much having an anxiety attack. Gives me 3 days to have everything back to tip top condition, run through the tune and prep all my stuff for the event.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #565
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

"Stressed with 3 days to go.....and given the opportunity of a lifetime."

Well I figured I'd come give everyone an update... Calm before the storm.

Over the weekend I was able to partake in one of the most humbling experiences of my entire life. I was able to assist Abel Ibarra in the tear down and rebuild of my engine.

We started after 7Pm on Saturday night. Complete Tear down and inspection of my engine.
I've taken 4 engines apart on my own thus far and it usually didn't take me very long. But for Abel.... it literally took 15 min. I couldn't imagine how many times he's done this. And his Shop was a rotary heaven. I won't even disclose some of the stuff I saw. But all I can say is that it was truly an Honor to help him with my engine.

The good news is that there was zero damage to any hard parts or seals. Abel double checked everything once it was completely apart by going through the front and rear rotors individually. But there was no Damage. As you could imagine....I was very relieved at that. Side seals,springs/apex seals/springs...all in great useable condition.

I left late Sat night with high hopes and ready to start midday Sunday.

Sunday I got to Abel's garage around 2 in the afternoon and watched Abel clean my rear Iron with strict diligence and an uncompromising ethic. WHen he was finished...the Iron looked Brand new. He handed me the Intermediate Iron and said "do what I just did." and smiled.

Over the next 9 Hours... I was taught one of the best life lessons any rotary enthusiast could ever wish to endure. And at the end of it... I wasn't given an engine... But a full course on the breakdown and rebuild of an engine. My engine was back together with the Turblown Stud kit found here:
http://www.turblown.net/store/index.php?productID=1
When I told abel I had purchased a stud kit he seemed uncertain. He said "i'll be the judge of whether you'll put them in or not." I simply nodded and couldn't argue. But after he sat and inspected the studs... He looked at me and said. Good job man. I'll make a note to let Elliot know these are excellent and will help out tremendously.

After cleaning for hours and hours amongst doing all the extra prep work abel had instructed me to do we worked the entire day and into the night. We only stopped to eat twice but at the end of the night. My engine was complete. There are so many little tricks of the trade and little tid-bits that people would never think about and or come to see that Abel has simply made his standard. This guy knows his stuff...and any questions that had arose in my mind over the past couple years regarding him vanished over the weekend and were replaced with 100% gratitude and respect. He showed me his competition rig which was like a rolling 5 star shop. A giant 35 ft Plus Tractor trailer... I couldn't imagine showing up to a race in something so awesome. And the thing is... this stuff isn't sponsor owned. This was all his. What looked like a lifetime of success in racing and building his own race team. Engines.....assembled by himself. Tuning....done by himself. Travel...provided by himself, Set up...driving...everything done by himself. An incredible amount of work for a single person and even now thinking about it...it gives me chills. This past weekend...although things have been rough luck with the engine mishap so close to ASB14... I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. This assembly was more art than anything else.. something that any shoe horned swap could never touch and that I am forever thankful for. Because this past weekend... I wasn't given a fish...but I was given the gift of the knowledge of "how."

I could go on and on...but here are some pics:

pre cleaning

nice and clean

99%

And so The journey continues. And so I have 3 days to have the car back together. So I may or may not be checking in if I get a chance to breathe over the next few days. But know that I won't give up until all options are 100% exhausted.

ASB2014 Or bust

Updates soon...

Stay tuned..
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #566
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
hell yea man

cant stop wont stop
Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #567
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Update:

"A Glimpse of Light"

Yesterday was a long day. Work hours seemed to drag on and on. I had to order a couple AN fittings and hose for the modifications I've made to the block. So I did that before I went in to work. I had to be careful on which brand of fitting I ordered because some of them said would be delivered by the 16th and some of them said after the 20th. the 20th....ain't going to be doing me much good. Finally after work I was off and went straight to Autozone to grab oil and a new filter. I was going to use my old Oil filter since it literally had 10 miles on it with fresh oil. But figured it was a bad omen and not worth using on the new rebuild. Chose Mobile 1 10-30 this time around due to the recent drop in Temperature. it's consistently been 50-55 degrees in the AM and it's not heating up much past 85 lately...so 10-30 it is. Regular Bosch 3300 Filter and were good on oil. Forgot to grab another gallon of distilled water but I'll be doing that today on my lunch break. So I had to head back down to pick up the engine last night. I left at 8:45 pm... got down to abels by 10 something PM. He had gone ahead and installed my Exedy twin disc and water pump housing/pullies/trigger as well. Despite how tired both of us were... we couldn't help but chat for an hour or so about happenings and rotary gossip/aspects of life....But eventually I was back on the road to make the trek back home. Hour and a half cruise back up to the high desert. Stopped and got a giant coffee and mainlined my system with coffee and two of those "Stoke" high caffeine shots and I was on my way. At this point I was dead tired....had to be 1 am at least. All I remember is being awake...feeling tired...but very alert. Theres no way these high caffeine shots can be good for you. But they sure as hell kept me up and awake the entire drive home. I think I got in bad at 3:45ish. So here I am.... Up at 6:30... Drank coffee but I feel like I shouldn't have anymore after those crazy Stoke Caf shots. But I must admit...I'm def feeling it right now...I haven't been this tired in a long long time. More updates soon as I get the engine in and sorted out.

Stay Tuned!

Updates soon!!!

This pic about sums it all up....

Late night freeway cruise... thinking time....with a couple good albums...looking in the rear view... headlights shadowed by the Burden...the love....obsession of my life....the 13B

Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #568
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

i'm over in the corner cheering you on, man. keep it going!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #569
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Cars not built enough. Needs more everything.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #570
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Man that is a cool experience. Man a few times I lost so much sleep trying to make a drift event I was too tired to even drive. And those caffeine shots. Man they make your body feel like its vibrating. nuts.