Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #31
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Let me ask this, are you doing this for pure aesthetics, or for performance? (although I assume aesthetics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gription View Post
hahaha does my car look like i'm worried about aesthetics? c'mon now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gription View Post
I kind of want to just want to make my car to where people will look at it and say "theres no way he drifts it like that".
So pure aesthetics it is.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #32
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Then why do you want -5* of camber for anything? I could only imagine the actual amount of camber gain under compression...you'll be pushing all over the place.

Lengthening the LCA will get the job done, but obviously be aware now of tie rod length, as well as Tension rod length as well (and how it can introduce a ton of caster, and bind on the inner bushing) as well (causing more suckage)

So again, are you doing this for pure aesthetics, or for performance? The short answer is that it's not gaining any performance edge...
Suddenly the offset spacers on the 326 Power tension rods made sense:

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
Gription
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Gription is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gription
Quote:
Then why do you want -5* of camber for anything? I could only imagine the actual amount of camber gain under compression...you'll be pushing all over the place.

Lengthening the LCA will get the job done, but obviously be aware now of tie rod length, as well as Tension rod length as well (and how it can introduce a ton of caster, and bind on the inner bushing) as well (causing more suckage)

So again, are you doing this for pure aesthetics, or for performance? The short answer is that it's not gaining any performance edge...
???
Gription is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #34
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
icedsole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
cody ace is a cool dude with top performance in mind

id like to give my .02 on this subject too!

ive driven a range of s chassis with different alignment settings (everyone should setup their car to how they like it) and i have always preferred the cars with more front camber.
usually in the 4 to 7 range. they just feel more planted to me. i think sometimes people get jumbled and caught up on all the technical aspects of suspension angles jazzy jazz
stuff. ive never understood any of it, i just go off of how it feels.

a lot of dudes in FD are running lots of front camber. my friend walker is running -7 on his and he said it was the best for him, out of all the settings he has tried.
also nikolay was a newcomer to the -7 range this year, he said it felt like the car had too much front grip and he wasnt sure if he liked it. im not sure what he has decided
for next season, but maybe he will go back to conservative.

i dont think there is a right and wrong way to align your car, its all how YOU want it to feel
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #35
ShakotanGazelle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
ShakotanGazelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedsole View Post
its all how YOU want it to feel
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

just go do whatever you want and if you like it, then stick to it. dont like it? you can always go back.
btw that car looks fucking rad

and whats so special about those 326 tension rods?
ShakotanGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #36
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
They are spaced out to make up for the LCA being lengthened. Look at the heim joints.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #37
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
try slotting the top of the coil, where the actual camber plate is if you want more neg

seen it done, idk how safe it is but thats up to yuo
chiboy002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #38
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
There are easier ways to do this. Drill another hole in the lower coil over mount. Slot the upper shock mount. Save up and get PSM FLCAs?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #39
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
There are easier ways to do this. Drill another hole in the lower coil over mount. Slot the upper shock mount. Save up and get PSM FLCAs?
Extending the flca is arguably as "easy" and has a lot more benefits then either of those.

And you extend outside of the tension rod, so there's no need for those not-so-special 326 rods.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #40
Gription
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Gription is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gription
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
This was covered a while ago chief. Slotting the upper mount wouldn't give me hardly any extra adjustment and the allen bolts on mine are already hitting the strut tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
And you extend outside of the tension rod, so there's no need for those not-so-special 326 rods.
This /\/\ I'm not understanding why the tension rods need to be offset at all if the mounting point on the control arm isn't being changed? Why not make offset sway bar end links too??? Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't make sense to me.
Gription is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #41
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

You wouldn't need those tension rods if you are modding OEM LCAs, but if you have adjustable LCAs and are making the adjustments from the inside mounting point it would tweak the tension rod mounting location.

Also, I think Tearlessj is talking about slotting the strut tower so you can get more camber adjustment before hitting it.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #42
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
ive driven a range of s chassis with different alignment settings (everyone should setup their car to how they like it) and i have always preferred the cars with more front camber.
usually in the 4 to 7 range. they just feel more planted to me. i think sometimes people get jumbled and caught up on all the technical aspects of suspension angles jazzy jazz
stuff. ive never understood any of it, i just go off of how it feels.
Without a doubt driver feel is a huge deal with it all, and I'll be the first to admit that there are things even I prefer different from the norm.
Edit: In that same respect though, there is a still a correct 'base' as to where to start from IMO, with minor changes being more suited to the driver/car/track/tire

I guess my thing with the Camber, is that while you/others have it setup that way and it may feel good, it seems that the only reason it feels good is due to the manipulation of the suspension to 'sorta kinda' work at speed (if that makes any sense). Sure running a ton of static camber may work out for some grip while sliding and it leans over, I do think that less camber would need to be ran if the caster issue was addressed and setup (as in the end the caster curve persay has a bigger change on it all).

Either way, just neat discussing the stuff as in the end (as I've said) it's always cool to see what works for everyone to form the better opinion on it all. Just like the old heads say, a pie can be baked in the best oven, but it will only be as good as it's ingredients

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy

Last edited by codyace; 11-19-2011 at 11:29 AM..
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #43
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
a lot of dudes in FD are running lots of front camber. my friend walker is running -7 on his and he said it was the best for him, out of all the settings he has tried.
also nikolay was a newcomer to the -7 range this year, he said it felt like the car had too much front grip and he wasnt sure if he liked it. im not sure what he has decided
for next season, but maybe he will go back to conservative.

i dont think there is a right and wrong way to align your car, its all how YOU want it to feel
yep, 2 years ago at Wall i was hanging out by the VLED pit because a local shop was Dean Kearneys techs for the weekend and i think they said he was running -9 up front and like -2.5 out back on his S14.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #44
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nobody has mentioned that extended LCAs are required with big steering angle to gain clearance between the wheel and frame rail (inner fender) at full lock.

How much are people extending by? I have seen 25-30mm, and will likely be going 30mm on my S13 arms. S14 LCAs are 10mm longer than S13, correct?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote