Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #31
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
laextreme5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
What do you plan on doing for rear hubs and axles?
Ill be contacting The driveshaft shop for some beefed up hybrid axles, corvette inner and s13 outers
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #32
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
There are software programs to calculate the metal flow to make sure you have even heat and material dispersion.

Its likely far cheaper and easier to buy and existing ITB setup or convert some motorcycle units and machine adapters.
The plan is ducatti 999r throttle bodies with cnc machined intake flanges and custom runners. talked to one of my coworkers a bit and he suggested 3d printing. So im going to look into that as well. Not sure how comfortable i feel casting my own metal in my garage. Casting seems much more techincal and precise vs the 3d printing.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #33
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
If your interested in casting aluminum, watch myfordboy on youtube. He does a ton of aluminum casting and also some machining. He usually is thorough on his video's and also answers a lot of questions in his comments.

Have you thought of machining instead of casting? Im sure if you design the file and go to a shop with a 5 axis CNC mill they could easily take care of this and have high tolerances.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #34
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Drift View Post
If your interested in casting aluminum, watch myfordboy on youtube. He does a ton of aluminum casting and also some machining. He usually is thorough on his video's and also answers a lot of questions in his comments.

Have you thought of machining instead of casting? Im sure if you design the file and go to a shop with a 5 axis CNC mill they could easily take care of this and have high tolerances.
I have but seems costly, although how costly compared to casting or 3d printing I'm not sure lol The thing with 3d printing or casting myself is i would be learning a new skill. Idk undecided yet. Need to do some research on all the options before i come to a conclusion.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #35
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by laextreme5 View Post
I have but seems costly, although how costly compared to casting or 3d printing I'm not sure lol The thing with 3d printing or casting myself is i would be learning a new skill. Idk undecided yet. Need to do some research on all the options before i come to a conclusion.
Yeah I get that. I am all about learning new skills and applying them. It definitely would be an adventure to cast them. Just watch some of those videos and look at how long it takes him to make his molds. Also a decent amount of work to get started and fairly expensive initial start up.

If your looking for quality and something repeatable with high precision then machining would be the way to go IMO.

If your looking for "cheap" customization then its all about 3D printing it. Personally though, I would not have anything 3D printed in my engine bay unless it was your standard clips and things.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #36
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
This is unique and legit! 2 thumbs up for you, I'll definitely be checking in on this!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #37
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Drift View Post
Yeah I get that. I am all about learning new skills and applying them. It definitely would be an adventure to cast them. Just watch some of those videos and look at how long it takes him to make his molds. Also a decent amount of work to get started and fairly expensive initial start up.

If your looking for quality and something repeatable with high precision then machining would be the way to go IMO.

If your looking for "cheap" customization then its all about 3D printing it. Personally though, I would not have anything 3D printed in my engine bay unless it was your standard clips and things.
Id like to get a 3d printer just to mess with. Would be good for making a few runners to check clearances and what not before i spend the money on a cnc'ed set. Im sure sure i could find a way to make a bit of money with the 3d printer as well to recoup some of the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13driftnut View Post
This is unique and legit! 2 thumbs up for you, I'll definitely be checking in on this!
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #38
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Awesome build! Definitely never seen anyone do something this intensive to a 240 before haha. There wont be much of the car left when you're finished! Just one question, why did you go with an iron block? Seems like you're putting in an awful lot of work in terms of optimum weight distribution to go with this option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #39
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I subscribed right when I read "180 header". I've been waiting for someone to do a 180 header LS swap. Only way I'd do an LS swap is a high revving 4.8 and either 180 headers or an 8-1 collector setup.

If I may make a recommendation, Villains makes solid steering rack mounts that will save you from the heavy factory mounts and brackets, and you can weld them wherever you want. http://villainsdrift.bigcartel.com/p...relocation-kit

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #40
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Awesome build! Definitely never seen anyone do something this intensive to a 240 before haha. There wont be much of the car left when you're finished! Just one question, why did you go with an iron block? Seems like you're putting in an awful lot of work in terms of optimum weight distribution to go with this option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! As for the iron block its just temporary. Ill get the car runnign and all the bugs worked out with it, then once its compete, and i can afford it ill be getting a fully built aluminum motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I subscribed right when I read "180 header". I've been waiting for someone to do a 180 header LS swap. Only way I'd do an LS swap is a high revving 4.8 and either 180 headers or an 8-1 collector setup.

If I may make a recommendation, Villains makes solid steering rack mounts that will save you from the heavy factory mounts and brackets, and you can weld them wherever you want. http://villainsdrift.bigcartel.com/p...relocation-kit

Hmm, may have to consider those, thanks for the heads up. As for the 180, ive always wanted to do one as well. My rev limit will only be 7-7200 with either motor. Between gearing, tire height and packaging for the 180 degree header (length wise as it affects where the powerband is) 7-7200 is my limitation. Id love 8-8500 but ill take what i can get. Even with 7-7200 and my rear tire i plan on running for drag and 1/2 mile (345/35/18 Et streets) my top speed in 6th will be 230-240 ish. And with normal/roadcpurse tires in 335/30/18 the gearning will still be plenty close for track and canyon carving duties. Although i dont sauspect long gearing to be an issue regargless becasue of all the torque and such minimal weight of the car.

PS Just checked out those steering raack mounts and def going to order a set. Cheaper than the solid bushings i was going to get, les cubersome to mount on the subframe, and as you said less weight. Thanks again for showing me those.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #41
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Yeah that's what I meant to imply, you save on having to buy bushings and these could be more easily welded wherever you want them it seems. Hope they work out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #42
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Got home from a weekend getaway down in New Orleans, think i almost went broke on food, and id been perfectly happy if i had.

Ok, so enough about the food. Started cutting up the front subframe to allow the motor to sit a bit lower. Before i could measure for notching the subframe, i had to remove the factory corvette shifter mounts. They were hitting the trans tunnel and not allowing me to get the trans setup to sit where i wanted it to. I also removed the front suspension as it was getting in the way with measuring and what not.
untitled (1 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

With everything out of the way i cut off the flange that jutted out from the subframe that the steering rack mounted it. I decided to not use the standard mounting brackets and ordered a set of Villains drift solid mounts, which are weld on replacements. This allows me to have free reign of where I'm going to mount the rack. The rack will be moved forward, forward, and to the lt side compared to factory location.

untitled (2 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

With the subframe notched i was able to see how low i could get the motor and how the rear diff would sit, after some more minor trimming of the rear subframe. If i had to guess id say the motor is proly sitting close to 2'' lower than a typical ls swapped s13.

untitled (8 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (9 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (10 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr
untitled (16 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

Bad news with motor sitting so low i ran in a bit of a problem. The bell housing is sitting an 1" below the framerails. To remedy this i need to get a flywheel and see how low it sits in comparison to the bell housing so i can see how much i can chop off of it. Also thew in my make shift strut brace to see how much room i had gained. Should have plenty of clearance to build the its now.

untitled (14 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (11 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (12 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (13 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

Also threw up a piece of piping to check exhaust clearance, driver side, GREAT, passenger side, not so much, some clearancing will be required for sure.

untitled (16 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (15 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

With the motor sitting about where i wanted it to, i realized this thing is going to look like it will be sitting on the ground once its at ride height.

untitled (17 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 17) by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:40 AM..
laextreme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #43
chank
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
chank is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
badass build. subscribed.
chank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #44
theboy
Zilvia Addict

theboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if its been cover yet but your subframe bushings are in wrong. Id hate for you to get everything lined up and the rear be 3/4" to an 1" off. Just a heads up
theboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #45
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy View Post
Not sure if its been cover yet but your subframe bushings are in wrong. Id hate for you to get everything lined up and the rear be 3/4" to an 1" off. Just a heads up
Yeah im going to flip them, just havent done it yet. Will be soon tho as i need it at the correct height to weld on the the trans mount brace. Thanks tho.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #46
josephin510
Zilvia Junkie

josephin510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't think ive logged on in 2 1/2 years... This was a nice build to come "home" to..

Last edited by josephin510; 02-02-2016 at 01:24 AM..
josephin510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #47
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by laextreme5 View Post
How dare you compare this to a civic. How dare you.
lol, what? I was being serious haha

Either way, I like where this is going. Im definitely following this thread.
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #48
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Small update. I FINALLY BOUGHT A WELDER. Now thats out of my system. Finally bought a welder after wanting one for so long. Been using the one at the shop for small projects here and there. But not having one here at home as really hampered me and what i could do.

Also picked up a few other things. Saw someone else using this speed blaster, and figured i could def use that on my car, anxious to try it out and see how it does! Also picked up a drill press and a belt sander. Anyone knows, if you have tried drilling through anything thicker than a thin body panel with a drill, its a major, slow, pain in the fucking ass.

Also got some ITB's in. They are Ducati 999R items. If your not familiar with ducatis, they are 2 cylider motors. Basically what that means for these its is that they are larger than the 4 cylinder bike its such as gsxr and hayabusa's which are in the 46-48mm range where these from the ducati are 52mm. Still need to order 3 more pairs for a full set, but i just ordered this first set for mock up and test fitting.
untitled (1 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (4 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (8 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (9 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (10 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (11 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (12 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr
Also got some ITB's in. They are Ducati 999R items. If your not familiar with ducatis, they are 2 cylider motors. Basically what that means for these its is that they are larger than the 4 cylinder bike its such as gsxr and hayabusa's which are in the 46-48mm range where these from the ducati are 52mm. Still need to order 3 more pairs for a full set, but i just ordered this first set for mock up and test fitting.

untitled (2 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 12) by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:40 AM..
Old 02-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #49
SarcastaBall
Leaky Injector

SarcastaBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Subbbbbbbed.
SarcastaBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 AM   #50
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
ITB is going to be money! Very nice work sir keep up the good work.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #51
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Speaking of itbs, ive been doing alot of thinking on how i want to make them. Thought about making them cross each other and what not like the jenvey and kinsler setups, but that seems extremely difficult and is much more common route on LS motors. So i think i am going to do the vertical ibs like the link below. With how low the motor is i think i will have plenty room. Need to find a cheap s13 hood to throw on and check and see how much room there actually will be under there.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ba8sT2BQ4uc/hqdefault.jpg
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #52
rellik27
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wow crazy build loving everything about it so far. And cool dog lol.
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #53
ellopuppet
Leaky Injector

ellopuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
that ek, holy crap
ellopuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #54
t's!
Leaky Injector

t's! is an unknown quantity at this point
jammin!!!!!
t's! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #55
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is just a bad ass built.
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #56
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephin510 View Post
Don't think ive logged on in 2 1/2 years... This was a nice build to come "home" to..
Just now seeing this. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #57
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik27 View Post
Wow crazy build loving everything about it so far. And cool dog lol.
Thanks, and hes a pain in the ass at times lol Still a puppy so LOTS of energy, very energetic breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t's! View Post
jammin!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatemy7 View Post
This is just a bad ass built.
Thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #58
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

So, seeing as i had the day off today, i piddled in the garage a bit. Had a buddy come over and help wire in a few new plugs. Needed a 220v of course for the welder, and also added a standard 110v plug on this wall. For whatever reason when the house was built there wasn't a plug put on the far side wall of the garage. Anyway, got that wired up and working good, just need a bottle of gas now and I'm ready to start the fab work. I also mounted some hooks so that i could store metal tubing and other materials on the wall, as well as taking down my subaru flag and hanging a few things I've had lying around for a while.

untitled (2 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (1 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (15 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

Currently the front end is surround by stuff while I've been busy the last week or so :/ need to change that asap. Still have yet to pick up a daily. Hopefully once that happens ill get back into my routine and get some parts ordered, start some fab work, and get the ball rolling. In the meantime, i decided to clean up the wheels a bit so that i could remove the faces in an effort to be able to sell the barrels and make some more space in the garage. Anyone want some lmgt2 barrels?? It was a pretty day today so the wife and pup joined me outside. He loves the hose....

untitled (9 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (8 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (12 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (13 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (14 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (10 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (11 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

It got a bit chilly and windy after the sun went down so i resorted to closing the door and doing what i could inside. Decided to start planning out the front tube work and how i wanted to do it. Not sure how feasible my ideas are but that is what I'm leaning towards. Still need to order the front body work to mock up before the first cuts made, which should be very soon. Also received my new steering rack mounts from Villains. Need to mock those up and see what needs to be trimmed and cut to make them fit my modified steering rack

untitled (16 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (17 of 17)-2 by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #59
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

So last night i did a bit on pondering on the front end air management. Since i had made the decison to run the itbs verticaly through the hood, i was wondering what i would do with the top opening in the rocket bunny front bumper which ill be running. The oroginal plan was for the itbs to do the traditional criss cross and the trumpets over the valve covers, being fed air from that top opening on the bumper i just mentioned by making a divider to plit the air side to side. Downside to that was more air in the engine bay and more importantly the intake sucking in super heated air that resides in the engine bay.

I want to keep that center upper opening as if i were to blank it off i think it would be too plain. So i came up with the idea to channel the air through the center hood vent and make it swirl with the air coming from the radiator to help cool it off a bit before getting sucked into the itbs. Its still warmer than ambient air, but its the lesser evil compared to the super heated air of the engine bay.

Excuse the crude paint drawings

1990-nissan-180sx-rocket-bunny-bensopra-aero-15 by lawrx, on Flickr

5a83a250f4fdeaf05db326eb4bbbdc3d by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #60
mhubeny180sx
BANNED

mhubeny180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
looks promising. nice garage btw.
mhubeny180sx is offline   Reply With Quote