Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: What is the highest level of eduction you completed?
None 1 0.59%
Elementary school 3 1.76%
Some high school 14 8.24%
Completed high school or GED 25 14.71%
Some college, technical, or certificate program 64 37.65%
Completed 2-year program (Associate's) 23 13.53%
Completed 4-year program (Bachelor's) 30 17.65%
Post-graduate studies 4 2.35%
Completed post-graduate studies (Master's) 2 1.18%
Additional education (PhD, post-doc, etc.) 4 2.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #31
scottyb
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
scottyb is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
UVa sucks!

Trust me, I know

BS in Computer Science and Management, minor in math and women study
Are you just a Hokie?

Or are you one of the two people who had a bad experience at UVA?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #32
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I was the first and only one to be a SEAS and COMM double loser.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #33
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
certificate in engineering drafting. Will have associates in Mech Engineering Tech in a few months.

Finishing Mech Engineering Tech BA degree next year.

I relaized i dont like engineering that much... i need to figure out what else to study after my BA lol.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #34
scottyb
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I was the first and only one to be a SEAS and COMM double loser.
Maybe you just worked too hard!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #35
kingsol
Zilvia FREAK!

kingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kingsol
You guys think it actually matters if you have a BA/BS,
or if you went to a particular college (whether in the job field or higher schooling)?

There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.
-Emerson
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #36
bleachcola
Leaky Injector

bleachcola is an unknown quantity at this point
have my associates and working on my BBL
Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 AM   #37
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
Maybe you just worked too hard!
Always work as hard and as smart as you can. It's the land of opportunities

Quote:
You guys think it actually matters if you have a BA/BS,
or if you went to a particular college (whether in the job field or higher schooling)?
Yes, it's about what you know, and also who you know. Coming out of a good school will open yourself up to so many opportunities. Trust me.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #38
kingsol
Zilvia FREAK!

kingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yes, it's about what you know, and also who you know. Coming out of a good school will open yourself up to so many opportunities. Trust me.
You really think so? I have friends graduating from top colleges who have been unemployed, actively sending out resumes and such, for about a year now. In the mean time, others without a degree, or graduates from lesser colleges, are picking up solid jobs fairly quickly without having to deal with the debt.

I'd chalk it up as random coincidence, but it being so common nowadays, i just dunno...
I'm just saying college is no longer the ticket it once used to be; or maybe it's just that I'm near midterms and being really negative about it all, ha.

There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.
-Emerson
Old 09-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #39
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trust me. Don't look at the deadbeats. Not having the right major from the right college will definitely hold you back from getting the break you need in your career.

Yes, Bill Gates is successful, but for one like him there are billions who don't make it. For one Einstein, there are billions others who don't know jack. If you're a genius, you don't need to go to school; you can teach the faculty at the school.

For the rest of us, we need schooling.

Open your eyes and see more than just the world around you. There are people so successful you don't even see them.

As for your friends, look at what I said above. It's important to get the degree because it's a check in the box, but it's also important to get the skills and network with people who know people.

Emerson is insightful, but Thoreau is more profound
Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #40
scottyb
Leaky Injector

I have to agree, its all about schooling and connections. I think you'll find that your friends without a college degree that have good jobs got them through hard work from the bottom or good connections. No one gets a good job just by walking in the door, it doesn't happen that way.

It also depends on what your definition of a "good" job is, if you're just thinking about money then a degree is essential. If you love to wrench on cars and don't mind making less in the end, then maybe college isn't for you, but a trade school would help.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #41
BoLLeH
Leaky Injector

BoLLeH is a well-known jackass
I'm just curious, how were the upper division courses for mechanical engineering? My engineering counselor is an absolute dingaling and wouldn't help me out when I first started--I am about to finish up my lower division requirements and I am starting to feel that chemical engineering is not my major.

Actually, how did you feel when you had to take courses that just pissed you off? I'm confused and I don't know how the rest of the people in college deal with it.

One more question. =)) Isn't getting your foot in the door the hardest part in your career (open to all majors)?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #42
kingsol
Zilvia FREAK!

The broader picture is really just a broad picture. Personal, real world, empirical evidence, however, has proven undergrad schooling to guarantee nothing but debt.

I think, though, above all, regardless of where one graduates, it's the major that truly determines prospective job opps. Really, the future picture looks dim with an English/Rhetoric degree--well, except for the law school option. There's nothing to bank on accept the my school's prestige, but that seems a bit weak don't you think?
But a degree in EECS or Comp. Sci. and I'd be golden.

Yes, but compared to Kierkegaard, both Thoreau and Emmerson are child's play

-Emerson
Old 09-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #43
big_schaf
Zilvia Member

big_schaf is on a distinguished road
just finished High school....and im going into post secondary next year!!(one year break!!)yee haha
Old 09-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #44
g6civcx
Post Whore!

I agree that school isn't for everyone. If you're just not getting it you're better off doing something else. School is hard. No doubt about it.

But just because you don't like something or aren't good at it doesn't mean it's not worth doing. It really depends on the person.

When I interview new employees, I look for school, major, background, work experience, professionalism, attitude, and a bunch of other things. I don't do HR-type interviews where it's just checks in boxes. I interviewed over 100 candidates from college kids to senior managers.

It really comes down to who's hiring you. I try to be as well-rounded as possible in critiquing somebody for a job. I can't speak for others, but ultimately it comes down to if I'm comfortable working with the person and have them cover my back.

I also think it's extremely helpful if you have a diverse background and understanding of different things. Your background will help you understand why people do what they do, and that will help you be more successful.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #45
scottyb
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLLeH
I'm just curious, how were the upper division courses for mechanical engineering? My engineering counselor is an absolute dingaling and wouldn't help me out when I first started--I am about to finish up my lower division requirements and I am starting to feel that chemical engineering is not my major.

Actually, how did you feel when you had to take courses that just pissed you off? I'm confused and I don't know how the rest of the people in college deal with it.

One more question. =)) Isn't getting your foot in the door the hardest part in your career (open to all majors)?
Bolleh, I got frustrated w/ mechanical eng. in the last 2 years of school. I think it takes persistence to do well in any type of engineering major and they are all hard in their own ways, I believe you should pick a major that comes more naturally to you or you are interested in learning or will lead to a career that you enjoy. It's probably not too late for you to switch to another eng. major.

The way to get through a course that you don't like is to study with someone who does like it. Make it a point to set up regular times to study with them so that you can't be a slacker and blow off studying just because you don't like the material.

Yes, getting your foot in the door is one of the hardest parts of life, but this is where talking to people and making connections comes in to play. Start early, make friends with professors and people in your industry who can help you get jobs.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #46
initial s14
Zilvia Member

initial s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
desktop publishing for me with minor in telecommunication. All majors taken now I am taking all my GEDs.. kinda stupid because when I get done with it. what ever i learned from my major will be obsolete.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #47
dookie
Leaky Injector

dookie has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to dookie
I am a mechanical engr major and sometimes I wish I wasnt, it gets hard and frustrating sometimes, especially not being able to work alot along with going to school. Buying shit for my car and going to drift events is a luxury for me, I can only do it so often.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #48
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
I also felt the same way getting my BS in Mech. Engineering. It got so tough sometimes, and the material could really seem "out there" or extremely boring. I was lazy for my first couple of years but I realized this is an opportunity I can't just give up on, so I caught myself and started working a bit harder.

Here I am now, a BS in ME, unemployed for a few months since graduating. The feeling of being back at home and unemployed sucks, but it gives you time to think about what your real priorities are. Hopefully I can land a job soon.

A degree from a college helps to get an interview, since many places require it as a base credential. Other than that, I can really say it helps in the following categories:

1) Networking (on-campus interviews, job fairs, etc.)
2) Focus (you become devoted to finding a job in that field)
3) Confidence (you went through a good amount of hell getting it, you should be proud)
4) Struture & Planning (college requires you to set many goals, and in general, internships during summer is the norm)

A college degree doesn't help you with:

1) Taking initiative to start networking
2) Public speaking & people skills (#1 priority in job hunting)
3) Debt
4) Laziness

I'm working on the 4 items listed above
Old 10-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #49
kuramaya
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
High School Only
Old 10-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #50
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurDz
A college degree doesn't help you with:

1) Taking initiative to start networking
2) Public speaking & people skills (#1 priority in job hunting)
3) Debt
4) Laziness
1) It depends on you. The opportunity is there. You have to make yourself do it. Nothing is going to make you do it if you don't want to.

2) I somewhat disagree with this one. Coming from a business major, it definitely helps with public speaking and people skills. Coming from an engineer, I know that some schools try and make their engineers do more of that stuff.

3) It's a financial decision. You make the investment to increase your earning potentials.

4) Definitely not for lazy people. You can get by but you won't be very successful.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #51
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorkluv
High School Only
I call bullshit.
If you've had specialized training in the Corps, completed MCIs, etc, that is BEYOND high school.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #52
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
Quote:
2) I somewhat disagree with this one. Coming from a business major, it definitely helps with public speaking and people skills. Coming from an engineer, I know that some schools try and make their engineers do more of that stuff.
Yeah, business majors, and especially being in a business fraternity, helps you with public speaking & networking.

Coming from an engineering major, there is almost no time to practice speaking. I learned more about public speaking through YouTube videos than I did at school. I had one course that required one presentation, and my senior design project which required a few presentations.

I think the students who came after me were required to take a public speaking course, so I guess that's a start.

I guess the main point is the amount of effort you put in. Even with a degree behind you, if you're not trying to put yourself out there, you can't really get too far.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 AM   #53
mistert
Pearl White Mike

mistert is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mistert Send a message via AIM to mistert
i went to tech school at UTI. do not go to UTI.

in spring i am looking to start a bachelors in Manufacturing Engineering
Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #54
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
I already got my AAS in Nanofab and I'm finishing my senior year in Electronics Engineering Tech (BS)... It sucks though, a lot of employers look down on Engineering Tech degrees (esp. if you find out after your 2nd year that your program isnt accredited), but a lot of EE guys don't know how to do shit, just theory. They don't last very long when they actually have to do shit. My teachers just think up weird problems and say "hey, you have 2 weeks to make this work". Awful lot like the working world. Sorry, just a bit of ranting...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #55
s13coupedrfter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
s13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Graduated from Westwood College of Aviation Technology Los Angeles. Have my FAA aircraft airframe/powerplant mechanic's license. Been working in industry for about 6 years. Currently working for Northwest Airlines aircraft maintenance. Looking to get out due to industry in a toilet since 9/11
Old 10-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #56
kuramaya
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfectionkuramaya is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
I call bullshit.
If you've had specialized training in the Corps, completed MCIs, etc, that is BEYOND high school.

ha ha, 15 Years as a jarhead I have had plenty of service schools and stuff...but that wasnt a choice
Old 10-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #57
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurDz
Yeah, business majors, and especially being in a business fraternity, helps you with public speaking & networking.

Coming from an engineering major, there is almost no time to practice speaking. I learned more about public speaking through YouTube videos than I did at school. I had one course that required one presentation, and my senior design project which required a few presentations.

I think the students who came after me were required to take a public speaking course, so I guess that's a start.

I guess the main point is the amount of effort you put in. Even with a degree behind you, if you're not trying to put yourself out there, you can't really get too far.
Public speaking is not easy to do. You need rigorous training to do it well. Some people do it naturally, but you can tell who have had communication and media training, and who have not. Former-President Clinton definitely had it. Current President Bush definitely has not had it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #58
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
There is alot of good information for someone whos about to graduate high school in this thread and i hope the ones that can apply to this information can take full advantage of it.

Here is some of my insight: In highschool, they always emphasize doing what you like to do as a career. What alot of people end up learning is doing something for a while will get borring, even if you thought you liked it. I know alot of my friends thought mechanical engineering was the coolest ever because it had to do with cars in certain fields. They end up learning that real engineering sucks. When choosing a major, I think it is important that you choose your major carfully basing on the basic skills used in the career field and its potential income rather than something you think will be fun. I have some friends that are in their mid 20s with little to no college education working fairly low income jobs for their age that are still trying to figure out what they they like. The truth behind it is not job is really fun. A job is to make money, not to directly provide pleasure. Part of being an adult is doing crap you dont want to do. People need to realize that. However, while not everything is fun, you can make it "fun" by setting goals and trying to meet them and such. Life itself is a big mental game. You can make it whatever you want it to be.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #59
Juanit0
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Juanit0 has made poor choicesJuanit0 has made poor choicesJuanit0 has made poor choicesJuanit0 has made poor choicesJuanit0 has made poor choicesJuanit0 has made poor choices
i went to a tech school
now im going for a 4 year degree
Old 10-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #60
scottyb
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert
i went to tech school at UTI. do not go to UTI.
I've got a friend who wants to go to UTI, whats wrong with it?
Closed Thread