Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #571
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
theslows13: Thanks bro. That is nice of you too say that. Anyways. I would hitup Bill/drftstry or whatever. He is leaps and bounds ahead of me with fab work. He has done soooo much more than I have, and the only reason why it seems otherwise is because he hasn't posted pics of all his work.

I would be happy to answer anything though, but I would ask bill since he is like 3 times what I am with fab work.

Luke.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #572
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Maximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, same thing. Anything around Boston Bill? No longer running outdoor so might be my time to depart from karts for a bit.
Maximamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #573
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
POS rep for Maximamike:

Im sure Bill can send you in the correct direction for your build.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 AM   #574
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
"awesome door bars" is right. That's exactly what I'll want done when I rustle through my pants, find some testicles (and $1.5k), and have a cage made. So much friendlier than Nascar style, and lets you keep your door panels?

I'm curious if anyone in socal that does minor fab stuff would lend (read: not for free) their services to me for an hour or so making brackets/etc? I'll bring the materials, I just don't have a way to bend 1/8" steel, and my landlord made me get rid of my Lincoln 110V mini-welder. To not clutter the thread, a PM would be great

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #575
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Jordan, you can't keep all of the door panel. The way I do it is to bend the piece out to the point where it's touching the inner door metal when the door is shut or just leave a little bit of room. And most door panels are a little thicker around there, so it's hard to leave it. I'm sure with some creative cutting, you could just cut out a smaller section in the middle and retain most of the panel. But I also make them low enough that usually the whole top half of the panel can be kept and then I would put a sheet of aluminum over the rest of the door to make it look nice or just leave it bare if you don't have the time.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #576
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
Jordan, you can't keep all of the door panel. The way I do it is to bend the piece out to the point where it's touching the inner door metal when the door is shut or just leave a little bit of room. And most door panels are a little thicker around there, so it's hard to leave it. I'm sure with some creative cutting, you could just cut out a smaller section in the middle and retain most of the panel. But I also make them low enough that usually the whole top half of the panel can be kept and then I would put a sheet of aluminum over the rest of the door to make it look nice or just leave it bare if you don't have the time.
Makes sense. I just don't know what I'd do without that map pocket in the door panel. The lower half must stay.

hahahaha ~

I love those side bars... seriously. Looks good, functional, and makes it easy for tall lanky guys like me to get into and out of the seat without removing the steering wheel.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #577
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
HKS GTR 4 row IC with wiggens clamps and new piping. The car has a TME turbo, ported manifold with the turbine housing and manifold coated at swain tech. The customer supplied the piping and it included a bunch of used stuff so the bends and diameter isn't ideal.

driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #578
alexander500
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I just finished creating the front bumper support on my piece:
alexander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #579
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Not bad! Without the stock rad support/headlight brackets, I can really see how the piping needs to be when I mount my FMIC where yours is. As long as your tension rod supports are in the stock locations, that looks like a really nice tube setup.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #580
blu808
Post Whore!

Nice job alex.

Bill. That is sooo bad ass. That core+ those clamps = about the best setup you can run for air to air.

I like how you covered it with the cnr Nasa luner lander space film stuff, next to the exhaust. Nice touch.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #581
luisgonz
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
Did this tonight before Drinking.LOL And its going to be painted Bright red But needed to paint to look alittle better to post on here.Haha Its a tow hook.

luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #582
blu808
Post Whore!

I say leave it green. That would look cool sticking out of the hood.

Nice work.

What did you use for the vertical piece?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #583
luisgonz
BANNED

luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
^^^^Cold rolled flat bar. I got alot of them made. Ready to roll.

Last edited by luisgonz; 05-02-2008 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #584
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
I am almost finished with the exhaust. After some awesome modification of the footwell (the part that isn't needed ), the exhaust fits awesome and will have no clearance issues. There is still about a foot left to fabricate on the Ti portion. The footwell also has to be fabricated. The entire exhaust will have a 2700 degree carbon/inconel blanket around it so the heat shouldn't be much of an issue. The initial turbine outlet is 3" stainless, then expands up to 3.5" where the wastegate re-enters. I machined the .060 3.5" stainless down to 3.3 to fit the .020 titanium as a slip on fitting. The tubing I got is incredibly hard to weld being only .020 thick. It takes an insane amount of work to get it ready for welding as weld. I also only have .060 filler where .030 would be ideal. The stainless bellows is two layers of .010 so it is even harder to weld. It all came out well enough though. I modified the wastegate entry so both ports are completely seperate up until the WG piston. Braces are in order for both the wastegate and turbo. Everything is solid in the car so a combination of engine and chassis mounts will work. After the exhaust, sway bars will commence.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #585
luisgonz
BANNED

Wow, Your making want to go build a exhaust. Looking good.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #586
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Jesus that's artwork. I can't imagine trying to weld .010" bellows, and having it come out that well. *tips hat* nice work, nice car.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #587
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Excellent as always Bill!!!

Luis you do some cool stuff too
IIIXziuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #588
blu808
Post Whore!

Bill you put anything I build to shame.

Can you please pm me a source on ti tubing, and rod? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #589
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
Can you PM me too? Ive been looking for some Ti tube as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #590
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Luke,
Give me a break. That oval exhaust on that camaro is absolutely insane...the M3 manifold as well...c'mon.

You guys can try titaniumjoe.com. I've gotten some from another guy as well but I am saving that one as he has stuff very seldomly The filler I got from a friend who had some left over from an aerospace project. I think Burns has filler as well as mcmaster carr.

I finished the rest this morning.

Last edited by driftstyre; 05-05-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #591
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
Sex. As usual.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #592
sillyvia13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BILL
what gives...
why the fuck do you have a jack stand under car...
you got those built in jacks! whats the deal?
did removing all the material in that area scare ya!?

Frickin nasty brudda!
or should I say WICKED! nasty! for us NE! guys! lol...
I cant wait to see 3 foot flames shoot out of that pipe
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #593
EJ253
Zilvia FREAK!

EJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to EJ253 Send a message via MSN to EJ253
well, it sucks that i have to post right after bill, i dont even compare

a little project this morning. i didnt like the available adjustments in my megan tension rods that i just got. so i decided to shorten them up

getting a rough idea

ground down, time for measuring

all cut up and even

i notched the edges (no pics), then welded em together

then i primed, painted, and clearcoated em.

heres a comparison:

altogether i cut out a 1 3/8 inches

DriftUtah | UtahNissans | MySpace | I <3 Drifting. Keep it Real.
Secret Society
EJ253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #594
TougeLabs
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
TougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TougeLabs
The centerline intake manifold is finally complete running a 90mm q45 Throttle body. This has been an on going idea with me and Rich from Xcessive Manufactuing.

TougeLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #595
TougeLabs
Premium Member

TougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to behold

Click it let me know what you guys think. I cant get it to post this picture for some reason.

Last edited by TougeLabs; 05-06-2008 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Link is not working for some reason.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #596
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

That manifold is really sweet. It looks really pro. The AER 2 liter turbo LMP motor has a similar entry on their carbon plenum. Will there be enough space to fit that big boy in an S chassis engine bay? Is this going on the bonneville project?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #597
TougeLabs
Premium Member

Yes it is going to fit real close but it will fit...I am really excited to see the whole set up with the msd and everything should make for a pretty bad ass left side of my motor haha...Anyway you will get to see it in a month or so after the cage for tuning...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #598
TougeLabs
Premium Member

O and hearing that from you deff. puts a smile on my face
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #599
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Thats a sweet paint job. I have had my control arms in primer for two years now! Damn, I gotta paint them. I like the candy cane style though
Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #600
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ253 View Post
well, it sucks that i have to post right after bill, i dont even compare

a little project this morning. i didnt like the available adjustments in my megan tension rods that i just got. so i decided to shorten them up
How much castor are you planning on running? At full short, those look pretty unusable since anything above about 9.5 is impossible on an s13. I could be wrong though....I haven't played with my tension rods in awhile so I forget how much I shortened them.

I'm also wondering why you didn't just drill two additional holes in the endplates instead of chopping the bars in half and welding. It would be a lot simpler and you wouldn't end up with a weak point in the middle of the bar.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote