Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #571
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingmofa View Post
Good to see you back buddy!
I haven't gone through you entire build/setup, but whats been done to the head so far?

I'm also curious why you went from Z32 to Z33 trans. I have a Z32 conversion kit sitting in the garage waiting to go in when my block is ready and put it all in in one go.
Thanks Jian, it?s nice to still be apart of this website, so long as it stays supported and functioning. I ?grew-up? here.

The head casting will remain stock. I am upgrading valves during the valve job and I haven?t determined if +2mm exhaust valves is something I want to do just yet. The exhaust side will see some bowl and mild port work to smooth transitions and the ?hump? removal. I?m really looking to help flow through the head. I have upgraded springs/retainers already. The biggest change is the addition of VTC to the intake cam, which will help tremendously with spool and broaden the powerband exponentially.

https://ehmotors.co.nz/product/sr20v...-front-cover/#

The transmission change was a spur of the moment thing. Chris (RalliartRsX) was parting his VET Z32 and had this for sale. Once I sold my Z32 setup, I was into a JK41 setup for $100, kind of a no-brainer decision really. Another reason was better syncro?s and newer transmission.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #572
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Thanks Jian, it?s nice to still be apart of this website, so long as it stays supported and functioning. I ?grew-up? here.

The head casting will remain stock. I am upgrading valves during the valve job and I haven?t determined if +2mm exhaust valves is something I want to do just yet. The exhaust side will see some bowl and mild port work to smooth transitions and the ?hump? removal. I?m really looking to help flow through the head. I have upgraded springs/retainers already. The biggest change is the addition of VTC to the intake cam, which will help tremendously with spool and broaden the powerband exponentially.

https://ehmotors.co.nz/product/sr20v...-front-cover/#

The transmission change was a spur of the moment thing. Chris (RalliartRsX) was parting his VET Z32 and had this for sale. Once I sold my Z32 setup, I was into a JK41 setup for $100, kind of a no-brainer decision really. Another reason was better syncro?s and newer transmission.
YO, I'M HYPED you're doing that VTC front cover. I would love to develop my engine to that point. Very much looking forward to seeing this thing together.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #573
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
YO, I'M HYPED you're doing that VTC front cover. I would love to develop my engine to that point. Very much looking forward to seeing this thing together.
I am glad I am not the only one! I am pretty stoked too. I have been talking with Hans down there. The dynograph in the link is on an EFR8374 T4 TS turbo, which is more comparable to a 3576R. He is running P12 cams, I?ll be running an N1 intake cam and a VET exhaust cam.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:16 AM   #574
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
I am glad I am not the only one! I am pretty stoked too. I have been talking with Hans down there. The dynograph in the link is on an EFR8374 T4 TS turbo, which is more comparable to a 3576R. He is running P12 cams, I?ll be running an N1 intake cam and a VET exhaust cam.
Dude, I've driven an Evo X with a 8374 and that graph does it no justice! I thought it was a bolt-on upgrade turbo it was so responsive.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your results (obviously). I really think this will make the SR compete with damn near any other four cylinder out there for response and power.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #575
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Dude, I've driven an Evo X with a 8374 and that graph does it no justice! I thought it was a bolt-on upgrade turbo it was so responsive.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your results (obviously). I really think this will make the SR compete with damn near any other four cylinder out there for response and power.
Andy, I agree that this changes the SR dynamic drastically. I hope to have this conversion completed by years end ready for tuning in the spring, but time and money are always a factor.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #576
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wish I was vet. My motor should be done this week at mazwork. Its just a sleeved 2.0l 9:1. I'm going to run a splitpulse manifold and a efr 7163 and I am really curious to see how well the turbo responds.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #577
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
I wish I was vet. My motor should be done this week at mazwork. Its just a sleeved 2.0l 9:1. I'm going to run a splitpulse manifold and a efr 7163 and I am really curious to see how well the turbo responds.
What head are you using? S13? What cams? I think the 7163 should respond fairly well.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #578
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Yow, get this shit running ASAP!!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #579
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Not my car, but this should give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wXu6pjs7kI
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #580
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Yow, get this shit running ASAP!!
You can be the first to ride shotgun.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #581
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Quote:
What head are you using? S13? What cams? I think the 7163 should respond fairly well.
Just a refreshed redtop head. jwt s4hl cams, springs, retainers etc. Pistons are 87mm.

In case anyone ever builds a sr bottom end. Mazwork offers their hg in sizes ranging from 86mm to 87.5mm, then it jumps to 90mm. Don't be like me and order 88mm pistons because then you will be stuck running a crappy cometic hg. I had to send the 88's back and order up some 87's just because I wanted to run a better HG. The head gaskets that mazwork sells are made by apexi for them. At least that's what mark the owner told me.

https://youtu.be/3YGyh69URsY

Here's a drifting video of some dude absolutely shredding the track up running a 7163.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #582
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Just a refreshed redtop head. jwt s4hl cams, springs, retainers etc. Pistons are 87mm.

In case anyone ever builds a sr bottom end. Mazwork offers their hg in sizes ranging from 86mm to 87.5mm, then it jumps to 90mm. Don't be like me and order 88mm pistons because then you will be stuck running a crappy cometic hg. I had to send the 88's back and order up some 87's just because I wanted to run a better HG. The head gaskets that mazwork sells are made by apexi for them. At least that's what mark the owner told me.
This and a few other things over 87/88 are my main reasons for not wanting to go 90mm. The cost vs benefit wasn?t there for me.

I think the 7163 will be fun, I would atleast have the dual guide conversion done to rev it out with a bit more safety.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #583
jr_ss
Post Whore!

A few components are rolling in the door.

I?ve acquired a set of VET cams for use of the exhaust cam. The low lobes are 11.3mm lift and 244dur with a high lobe spec of 11.15mm lift and 280dur. This should help light and keep the turbo on boil.

The machine shop got back to me about the VCT conversion and they feel confident they can complete this task. I think this is sound too as they use to build Chris Fosbergs VK56 motors for FD(800-1000hp).

I dropped my exhaust manifold off to have thermal couple bungs welded on. I use to have access to a welding machine, I no longer do, otherwise I would?ve completed this myself.

I also ordered components to plumb the wastegate back into the exhaust pipe.

A new .83 TS housing was ordered from AMS with the help of Niko and the team over there. If this housing doesn?t work as I hope and they claim, we?ll be switching to a 1.01. At that point though, I may switch the turbo to a 35R sized turbo if it spools as early as I?m hoping.

I?ll have some photos up soon.

Last edited by jr_ss; 06-12-2021 at 08:10 PM..
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:05 AM   #584
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Man I'm really thinking about doing the VCT too.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:07 AM   #585
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Man I have been really thinking about spending the coin for the VCT conversion. Are you going to get it welded or just bolted on?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #586
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Man I have been really thinking about spending the coin for the VCT conversion. Are you going to get it welded or just bolted on?
pretty sure you'd have to weld it together to prevent oil leaking.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #587
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I think Han's welded his up just for that reason. I can pull the info later if I remember
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #588
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
I spoke with Hans and they use an RTV type sealant. He hasn?t had any issues with it. I?ll dig up the product he used to seal it up. I inquired about only using the bolts in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
pretty sure you'd have to weld it together to prevent oil leaking.
Not true. It is a non structural portion of the head and it has grooves for RTV or similar product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I think Han's welded his up just for that reason. I can pull the info later if I remember
His original head design was welded, the new piece is not.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #589
jr_ss
Post Whore!

This past weekend I had planned on spending a decent amount of time in the shop to get cracking on some things, but as it would turn out, life just doesn’t go your way some times.

I did manage to remove the shifter linkage from the JK41 and get my CBF shifter installed. I then sat on a bucket next to the engine/transmission setup and proceeded to make engine noises, while my kids “rode” in the back seat.

Last edited by jr_ss; 07-06-2021 at 12:01 PM..
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #590
jr_ss
Post Whore!

So I finalized my fuel system setup and placed the order for the components I was lacking.

My previous setup was a Walbro 255 "lift pump" to my TF-Works surge tank. From the surge tank a Bosch 044 pressurized the -6AN lines to the rail and out to my SARD Racing FPR.

The new setup will be a TI-Automotive "Hellcat" 525lph pump to a modified factory tank "top-hat" w/ a -8AN bulkhead fitting. From there, it will pressurize -8AN PTFE to a Radium Engineering Microglass fuel filter w/ the heatsink mount. Microglass is the new jam in filtration, capable of filtering down to 6microns. I am still utilizing the Mazworx manifold and fuel rail, but I have upgraded my injectors to 1300X2 IDs. It will then feed a Radium Engineering MPR FPR and then back to the factory return line, transitioning to -6AN at the end of the line back to the tank. If I need more pump in the future, I will add a Boost-A-Pump to up the voltage and get the needed flow from the TI-Automotive unit.

I also picked up a new intercooler from ETS. It is designed for an EVO8/9, but should work for my needs. I chose this unit because it fits between the frame rail horns on the S14 and it is rated at 750whp. This means minimal fabrication to make it work, I get to keep my bumper reinforcement and it provides room to grow. My previous intercooler (HKS Type S) is only rated at 450hp and while it has worked well for my previous setup, it will be over worked and inefficient for future desires.

Another upgrade/change was I picked up a Full-Race twinscroll exhaust manifold setup. My last manifold was a PeakBoost setup and while it worked well, I wanted to maximize exhaust gas flow and energy recovery. I am still using the GTX3076R Gen 1 turbo, but after having a conversation with Niko @ AMS Performance, I purchased a .83A/R exhaust housing for it. They wanted to focus on maximizing response, so we're going to start there. If it proves to be too small and choke the car up-top, we'll switch to a 1.01A/R and see what results it yields. Along with the manifold swap, I am installing thermal couples on each runner for better fueling control with the new setup. My Tuner recommended it, because it has essentially become a "race" motor.

I should mention that if you need any help with sizing a turbo or even help with putting together a solid build sheet, Niko will go above and beyond for you. My mindset going into it was they weren't going to be interested in work or helping me and it was probably a dead end.I was pleasantly surprised with my experience considering they work on cars and equipment 10x the cost of most of our shit here in the S-Chassis world.

Anyway, this has been a long enough post.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #591
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Some of the parts mentioned above started coming in.

GM Ethanol content sensor and 4bar MAP sensor.

I also picked up a TIG machine with a torch cooler after a bad experience at a local welding shop. I can’t justify spending $80+/hr when I have the ability to weld these items I need to fab myself. I’m looking forward to start melting some metal. I got this at a great price and while it is 20yrs old or more, these things are a workhorse and should be sufficient for all my uses and intended purposes.

I’ll be ordering some Plazmaman vanjen clamps and some aluminum tubing to start fabricating the charge pipes.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:26 AM   #592
spliffgates

Trader Rating: (0)
spliffgates is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Super inspiring build!
spliffgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:54 AM   #593
spliffgates

Trader Rating: (0)
spliffgates is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I’ve got a built bottom end red top that I’m currently debating on which turbo to get for. Curious to hear what you would do to reliably make 400-500hp? Was thinking either the EFR7163 or a g25-550.
spliffgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #594
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliffgates View Post
I?ve got a built bottom end red top that I?m currently debating on which turbo to get for. Curious to hear what you would do to reliably make 400-500hp? Was thinking either the EFR7163 or a g25-550.
Personally, I’d go with the G25-550 with a medium A/R housing. The new V-band housings are so much more efficient than the out going t3/4 flanges.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #595
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

^ efr 7163 with the split pulse manifold from full race if you're looking to go top mount with crazy response.

JR I am in the market to purchase a full race manifold as well. Who did you order yours from, and have you received it already?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #596
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
^ efr 7163 with the split pulse manifold from full race if you're looking to go top mount with crazy response.

JR I am in the market to purchase a full race manifold as well. Who did you order yours from, and have you received it already?
I actually found mine in a parts lot locally. A guy was unloading everything he had so I bought it all. Saying I got lucky is an understatement.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #597
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I actually found mine in a parts lot locally. A guy was unloading everything he had so I bought it all. Saying I got lucky is an understatement.
I freaking wish lol. Nice come up!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #598
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Personally, I?d go with the G25-550 with a medium A/R housing. The new V-band housings are so much more efficient than the out going t3/4 flanges.
just curious but what do you not like about the EFR turbos over the garrett
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #599
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
just curious but what do you not like about the EFR turbos over the garrett
There have been several accounts where an EFR doesn?t produce numbers as indicated. A 7163 struggles on VE setups for whatever reason. We speculate it is the internal wastegate design setup, but I cannot prove that. For me Garrett has performed as expected. The newer turbos are really impressive, unfortunately, they are currently out of my budget as well. One day maybe I?ll be throwing a G30-770 or 900 on this motor setup and seeing how it responds.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #600
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Running a 90mm head gasket on 88mm pistons isn't that big of a deal. It's only 1mm wider than the bore at the edge of the deck.

Quote:
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote