Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #6211
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Pretty sick how 1 fan keeps your setup cool. I'm trying to figure out a fan setup for my 1j atm. Why is it that people can have the same cooling setup, yet one car will run hotter?
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #6212
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
scooped a SPAL 3k cfm puller fan and sr koyo rad on my 1jz. so far so good. in the staging lanes the temp comes down quick dispite sitting and idling behind a row of cars.
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #6213
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i've recently finished my swap. here is my setup.
2jz single turbo making 500whp (precision 6262 bb. this is not water cooled. only oil)
mishimotor ka rad with the dual fal puller fans
large external oil cooler
mishimoto 145 thermostat

i had a chance to street drive the car a bit and never saw water temps over 160. i also took the car to a practice event where the weather was cool and a bit wet in the afternoon and never saw temps over 190. but on track at final bout the track was all 2nd gear and i was banging limiter all day and i had all kinds of heat issues. there wasn't a lot of time between runs b/c we were running large tandem groups and the track was long. 3 runs and i was in the 210 range. luckily they had a hose on track and we would spray the rad down and temps would drop fast but definitely heat is a big issue. i'm going to start running an 8" pusher fan on my oil cooler and probably going to cut some large holes in my hood to help vent the hot air.

i was running a k&n filter directly to the turbo. and on day two i managed to melt the filter right off.
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #6214
supercompact
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
supercompact is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal264 View Post
i've recently finished my swap. here is my setup.
2jz single turbo making 500whp (precision 6262 bb. this is not water cooled. only oil)
mishimotor ka rad with the dual fal puller fans
large external oil cooler
mishimoto 145 thermostat

i had a chance to street drive the car a bit and never saw water temps over 160. i also took the car to a practice event where the weather was cool and a bit wet in the afternoon and never saw temps over 190. but on track at final bout the track was all 2nd gear and i was banging limiter all day and i had all kinds of heat issues. there wasn't a lot of time between runs b/c we were running large tandem groups and the track was long. 3 runs and i was in the 210 range. luckily they had a hose on track and we would spray the rad down and temps would drop fast but definitely heat is a big issue. i'm going to start running an 8" pusher fan on my oil cooler and probably going to cut some large holes in my hood to help vent the hot air.

i was running a k&n filter directly to the turbo. and on day two i managed to melt the filter right off.

Basically, the consensus is that you will have problems unless you are using a cross flow SR radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supercompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #6215
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Car drove around all day at 160*, even after a few full 2nd and 3rd gear pulls.

My setup:
Dual pass Koyo SR radiator
Dual Spal 12" fans in shroud (3800cfm)
2JZ Water Pump
Mishimoto 154* thermostat
PBM coolant swirl pot
Toyota red coolant + distilled water + water wetter
Samco hoses
Renova carbon cooling panel

Then I used a nice turbo blanket, downpipe is heat wrapped, manifold is thermal ceramic coated, and water/meth injection, to keep under hood temps down.

With this setup, I've literally never seen higher than 182* and even that was after 4 back to back hot laps at 17psi.

The car drives around town, and sits in stop/go traffic at 154*-162* comfortably.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #6216
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
3800 CFM, so I'm assuming 1900 each?
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #6217
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

zbarsuglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Is anyone running the xcessive mounts with a 2jzgte vvti? Did you have to relocate the oil drain?
zbarsuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #6218
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Would you mind posting a pic of your radiator and fan setup? That's a killer amount of airflow.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #6219
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Would you mind posting a pic of your radiator and fan setup? That's a killer amount of airflow.

Sent from my iPhone

i'm guessing he's running these. the dimensions look about right. but i would be curious if he had to trim for the water in and out.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2130/overview/

i think cfm's are why i'm over heating. my dual flex-a-lites are only rated at 2000cfm

i might go crazy and try these. they are big. the same hight as those spal's but 1" wider. probably a bit too wide for a ka or sr rad by maybe an inch but i might try and make them work. 4600 cfm on only 28amp draw sounds pretty awesome

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric...ll-shroud.html
Old 06-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #6220
Drink&Drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Drink&Drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drink&Drift
anyone need an OEM GTE crank pulley? 40$ shipped, need it gone.
Drink&Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #6221
blkdawg

Trader Rating: (0)
blkdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anybody make a transmission mount for s14 with 2jz on stock a340e automatic transmission?

thanks
blkdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #6222
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
Big Mike what Temps are you seeing? I'm never over 210 on hard pulls but scared I might go over that in track. Idle is life 196.

Using 350z mishimoto radiator, Oem water pump and thermostat along with toyota red and distilled water. In my situation ,I run duel 14" spal high performance pushers directly on radiator since I have 1" clearance from rad to pulleys ..GRANTED THIS IS ON A 350Z.

just like this community so much better and can relate lol.

Well the mishimoto thermostat really make a difference?

NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #6223
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
I still haven't completely sorted my cooling too. Just was at the track on Sunday and coming off drift runs around 215-220 in 90 degree weather. I cool at idle fine but at speed I'm having trouble too.

Street driving i stay around 180-200. Highway I start creeping up to 210+. I did push it once at 220 to see and sure enough it kept climbing to 230 so i shut it down.

Current setup:
~stock 1JZ VVTI
S13
Flexalite 420 shrouded fans
50/50 toyota red
new OEM Toyota thermostat and water pump
upper and lower ducting
Greddy FMIC
stock oil cooler
Blitz radiator cap
ISIS KA aluminum radiator
No engine undertray
PS cooler mounted to radiator

Temps aren't unbearable but definitely frustrating having to cool down after a run and not just hot lap. Gonna try spacing my radiator more forward, flushing the system for junk potentially still in the system, hood vent, water wetter and relocating my PS cooler to under the drivers headlight or wheel well. If I see improvement I'll make sure to post up.

I think a thermostat is a bandaid. Thermostat sets your floor not the ceiling in terms of temperatures. Stock thermostat should be fine imo.

Last edited by bmaddock; 07-14-2016 at 05:49 AM..
bmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #6224
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

the thermostat only helps at the beginning. for example you're idle temps are 195 and my idle temps are 158. so i can go do a few runs runs before my temps reach 200. for you you're basically already starting at 200 and then if i let the car cool i drop back to 158 and you can only drop down to 196. it doesn't help cool at all it just allows the motor to drop to a lower base temp thus allowing you more room for temps to build.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #6225
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

do the flex-a-lite 420's fit the rad perfect?

nolagg you should ditch that little breather filter and run a proper catch tank. those little filters just end up getting clogged with oil when directly on the valve cover
Old 06-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #6226
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
do the flex-a-lite 420's fit the rad perfect?
Yes! Couldn't be happier with the fitment. And because they're so thin I didn't even have to trim the radiator support like most but it does sit damn close to the water pump snout.

My thoughts are that with such little clearance between the radiator/fan and the engine its creating a restriction for how much air can be pulled through. I'm really not the best with fluid flows but going to try and experiment a bit.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #6227
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

That along with an oil cooler is in the works, just want to get the cooling temp sorted first .I'm sure I got the air out I'm just not positive .I've Bleed it 3 times like crazy .might get a swirl pot tank.also using hks 1080 rad cap
Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #6228
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i'm guessing he's running these. the dimensions look about right. but i would be curious if he had to trim for the water in and out.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2130/overview/

i think cfm's are why i'm over heating. my dual flex-a-lites are only rated at 2000cfm
Yep, thats what I'm running. The other thing too is SPAL rates their fans different than flexalite, and other companies. Flex-a-lite and others rate their fans at PEAK output under perfect voltage (14.5V) conditions. That's not real world possible though. All SPAL stuff is rated at 12V IIRC. So its more real world output ratings.

With this setup, I am able to run 155* around town in any weather under 80*, and 165* anything over 85*. I've seen 172* once, when 95*, sunny, and doing 80mph for 45min.... After hot lapping the drag strip, hottest I saw was 175*, after hot lapping drift course, the hottest i've seen is 188*, but quickly cools to 165* again once resting for 1min.

Here's my recipe for JZ cooling success with a front mount rad on S-chassis.

2JZ Water Pump +TRD (or Mishimoto) low-temp thermostat:

Notched Core Support:

Koyo Dual-Pass SR radiator:

Fan Set Mounted (FULL coverage)

Spal dual 12" Fan set (3200cfm), (pulled from Maserati Quattroporte)

Swirl Pot

Clearance

Heat Wrap/Blanket as much as possible:

Ducting, Renova Cooling Panel

Run factory Toyota RED Coolant, with Distilled water + water wetter:

Water/Meth injection kit:
Old 06-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #6229
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Nice setup. I'm going to give the FAL 420's a go first since i already have them. I doubt I'll ever find a Maserati in the junkyard and those things are terribly expensive new.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #6230
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Nice setup. I'm going to give the FAL 420's a go first since i already have them. I doubt I'll ever find a Maserati in the junkyard and those things are terribly expensive new.
Well yea, its a publicly available $500 SPAL Fan set, with shroud, my set just happened to come off a Maserati lol Because I was working for them a few years ago. But its a $1500 Maserati part
Old 06-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #6231
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

But the thermostat is just a band aid no? Also water wetter makes that much a difference?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #6232
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

I've never run without it, I just know that I beat the shit out of my car, and its never been over 190* before.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #6233
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Wish I could run pullers ....I have 1 inch clearance.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #6234
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

after doing some research about spal fans vs other i'm actually thinking of buying an isr dual 12" fan and shroud and just throwing away the fans and putting a couple spal 12" fans in. i havn't found someone that would sell just a shroud and it's cheaper then having one made...
Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #6235
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
after doing some research about spal fans vs other i'm actually thinking of buying an isr dual 12" fan and shroud and just throwing away the fans and putting a couple spal 12" fans in. i havn't found someone that would sell just a shroud and it's cheaper then having one made...

Ebay males a shroud......DNA racing .....so many people run it...same shit as every brand .
Old 06-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #6236
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Yep, thats what I'm running. The other thing too is SPAL rates their fans different than flexalite, and other companies. Flex-a-lite and others rate their fans at PEAK output under perfect voltage (14.5V) conditions. That's not real world possible though. All SPAL stuff is rated at 12V IIRC. So its more real world output ratings.

With this setup, I am able to run 155* around town in any weather under 80*, and 165* anything over 85*. I've seen 172* once, when 95*, sunny, and doing 80mph for 45min.... After hot lapping the drag strip, hottest I saw was 175*, after hot lapping drift course, the hottest i've seen is 188*, but quickly cools to 165* again once resting for 1min.

Here's my recipe for JZ cooling success with a front mount rad on S-chassis.

2JZ Water Pump +TRD (or Mishimoto) low-temp thermostat:

Notched Core Support:

Koyo Dual-Pass SR radiator:

Fan Set Mounted (FULL coverage)

Spal dual 12" Fan set (3200cfm), (pulled from Maserati Quattroporte)

Swirl Pot

Clearance

Heat Wrap/Blanket as much as possible:

Ducting, Renova Cooling Panel

Run factory Toyota RED Coolant, with Distilled water + water wetter:

Water/Meth injection kit:

How's your coolant swirl ta k,setup?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #6237
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGG View Post
How's your coolant swirl ta k,setup?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #6238
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Thats not a terrible idea actually.

But you can buy my fan set, in a shroud for 500 done and finished.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #6239
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Just realized I can't run those fans anyway. They are 4.5" thick. The FALs are 2 5/8". With my removable core support i have MAYBE 1/2 ~ 3/4" of space.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #6240
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGG View Post
Big Mike what Temps are you seeing? I'm never over 210 on hard pulls but scared I might go over that in track. Idle is life 196.

Using 350z mishimoto radiator, Oem water pump and thermostat along with toyota red and distilled water. In my situation ,I run duel 14" spal high performance pushers directly on radiator since I have 1" clearance from rad to pulleys ..GRANTED THIS IS ON A 350Z.

just like this community so much better and can relate lol.

Well the mishimoto thermostat really make a difference?

If I recall correctly it always sat under 190* even on the hottest days but I'll double check this week (haven't driven it in over a year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk