Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #6361
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk3 View Post
Stupid question but what is a rom tune?
ROM = Read Only Memory refers to a chip whose information
(fuel maps, maf maps, timing maps, etc) have been modified
to suit a specific car set up
(ie turbo, MAF, injectors, etc)
the chip either replaces or piggybacks the one in your ECU

Calcum and Nistune are examples of this
you solder in the ROM chip in your ECU (or have it done)
load up the applicable map
connect to it via USB or serial cable
and they are able to tune it via the software provided
depending you know what you are doing of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_sideways View Post
What size helicoil do I need for a bolt hole that takes m12x1.25 bolt?
you order the kit as an "m12x1.25 helicoil kit"
the kill will consist of the right size drill for the hole
the overized tap
the tap holder
installation tool
and a few coils
as well as instructions

seen metric kits at Pep Boys before
but if you're having a hard time finding it locally
you can order them online, google it for best prices
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #6362
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (60)
Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Ok I'm not sure but jdm front reflectors should fit usdm S14 zenki bumper right?

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Drift_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #6363
kevmeistah21
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (68)
kevmeistah21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kevmeistah21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
Do you have play in the steering wheel at low speeds also (even a little) might be time to replace your steering bushing. Rack bushings couldn't hurt either. How are your tie rods?
nope, steering response is great at low speeds.. Only get late responses at higher speeds 35+
Late Night Crew... #02 <3

Bought anything from me? Please leave me a review!

http://zilvia.net/f/private-sellers/...meistah21.html
kevmeistah21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #6364
harris180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
harris180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
quick question.. this is the tophat on my cusco coilovers.. when i adjust the knob thingy it doesnt make any clicky noises and it seems like the knob will just spin and spin forever, its not like it stops after 32 clicks or whatever the number is supposed to be on coils..

so my question is, does anyone's tophat/coilover top look like this? whats the specs on them?? how do i know what level of rebound its set too if it doesnt click and let me know..
harris180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #6365
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (60)
Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
how big is the stock exhaust piping on a jdm s14

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Drift_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #6366
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_86 View Post
how big is the stock exhaust piping on a jdm s14
Same a USDM.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #6367
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is it sufficient for me to just use the top half of my fan shroud? I am having troubles fitting my shroud now with an oversized aluminum radiator.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #6368
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Is it sufficient for me to just use the top half of my fan shroud? I am having troubles fitting my shroud now with an oversized aluminum radiator.
i dont see how half a fan shroud would do any good. remove the rad, place the fan shroud on top. trim to fit
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #6369
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
For proper effectivness you want the entire shrod. Odd it's not fitting, what brand is the radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris180 View Post
quick question.. this is the tophat on my cusco coilovers.. when i adjust the knob thingy it doesnt make any clicky noises and it seems like the knob will just spin and spin forever, its not like it stops after 32 clicks or whatever the number is supposed to be on coils..
You are just spinning the flat screw part right?

May just be a broken adjuster

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/328554...-adj-knob.html
MR2 Owners Club - Broken HSD coilover adjuster [fixed]

Use those links and see if you can repair it yourself/email cusco about it as well.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #6370
Mista Lee
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (26)
Mista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud ofMista Lee has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mista Lee
How much do machine shops tend to charge to bore/hone a ka24de block? more specifically .020 over..
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #6371
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Lee View Post
How much do machine shops tend to charge to bore/hone a ka24de block? more specifically .020 over..
call and ask?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #6372
Prime
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Prime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Lee View Post
Around about 30 a hole, depending on whether or not you want it torqueplated.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #6373
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Yea I'd not worry about it at all. Get some generic loom for it and call it a day.

I know its answered already, but i just took a picture to go with the words.
So there is my power cable from the battery the one wrapped up in the black split loom. Is this safe?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #6374
codyace
Post Whore!

looks good to me

Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #6375
.emerson.
Leaky Injector

.emerson. is an unknown quantity at this point
Painters and detailers.

I'm planing to debadge my S14 and maybe in the near future replace them with Silvia emblems. I have original paint, and it seems I have oxidation or clear coat failure around the stock emblems.

I'm afraid when I take them off I'll have a major ghost line. I was wondering what you guys use/suggest to remove these faded areas. It'll be a major eye sore if I take em off then realizing I have to respray/harm paint just for emblems.

Pics below.

.emerson. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #6376
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
You'll know how bad it is when you take it off haha. But you can probably buff it out. To get the glue off get the rubber eraser that goes on your drill bit, wont harm the paint.

My question:
This is for RB guys but the same principle on most cars. If you unplug the IACV and plug the in/out coolant lines, will that cause the car to stall and die coming to a stop just like a leaking non recirculated BOV.
example:
you're rolling in gear and see a red, pop it in neutral to slow down and the car dies, just like a bad non recirculated BOV.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #6377
meen13
BANNED

meen13 is an unknown quantity at this point
All sorted....
Nobody gave info but I solved or anyhow
meen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 AM   #6378
meen13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
You'll know how bad it is when you take it off haha. But you can probably buff it out. To get the glue off get the rubber eraser that goes on your drill bit, wont harm the paint.

My question:
This is for RB guys but the same principle on most cars. If you unplug the IACV and plug the in/out coolant lines, will that cause the car to stall and die coming to a stop just like a leaking non recirculated BOV.
example:
you're rolling in gear and see a red, pop it in neutral to slow down and the car dies, just like a bad non recirculated BOV.
Sounds right.. My R31 with an RB30et used to drop out like that.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #6379
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
that doesn't look like clear coat failure, and i don't think paint can oxidize. It looks like caked on grime

It'll come out easily, you just have to buff a lot.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #6380
meen13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .emerson. View Post
Painters and detailers.

I'm planing to debadge my S14 and maybe in the near future replace them with Silvia emblems. I have original paint, and it seems I have oxidation or clear coat failure around the stock emblems.

I'm afraid when I take them off I'll have a major ghost line. I was wondering what you guys use/suggest to remove these faded areas. It'll be a major eye sore if I take em off then realizing I have to respray/harm paint just for emblems.

Pics below.

----

Yeah just looks like dirt/grime
Old 06-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #6381
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meen13 View Post
Sounds right.. My R31 with an RB30et used to drop out like that.
Anyway around that issue? Or is the only way to fix it to put everything back the way its supposed to be. I didnt test my BOV yet, it might be leaking.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #6382
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have on older set of Cusco coilovers on the rear of my S14, and I want to go lower. But, they're the kind that only adjust from the spring perch itself, instead of from the bracket. I know that when I mess with the perches, it's gonna mess with the preload. So is there a way to adjust these without really screwing things up, or is it safe? I only want to drop another inch at the most.
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #6383
Rkesh88
Zilvia Junkie

Rkesh88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate to be that guy lol but im looking for a pic of a s13 speedo that was mocked up with words instead of numbers. all i remember is that it was a red background and black writing s13 speedo.
Rkesh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #6384
.emerson.
Leaky Injector

.emerson. is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for answers guys. What products do you recommend using to get rid of the grime?

How can you guys tell the difference between clear coat fail and grime?
.emerson. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #6385
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .emerson. View Post
Thanks for answers guys. What products do you recommend using to get rid of the grime?

How can you guys tell the difference between clear coat fail and grime?
when you remove it do some nice cleaning of the area, once its clean pull out a buffing wheel and go to work but don't press down. Just let it go over the whole surface and move it around a lot. The objective is to remove the grime but not a lot of the clear coat.

You might need to use a clay bar, look into it. Theyre pretty good

if you wanna get really into it get polishing compound and rubbing compound, but these can easily destroy clear coat if done wrong so i'd leave this to a professional.

Clear coat damage looks translucent and flakey. It's hardly ever dark.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #6386
rspatron

Trader Rating: (1)
rspatron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a 92 240sx Dual cam. i replaced the head gasket and it still smokes but only after ive driven it for a while. The smoke is blue. a friend did a compresion test and all 4 cyl. were good. Also the engine shakes a lil. I took it to get the ignition timing corrected since it was of. any suggestions?
rspatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #6387
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
I was wondering if anyone has used the megan tie rods for a s13 because i have been brake the stock ones left and right and want something more durable and the megan ones look nice because they have a spacers type thing in the middle where it normally bends so can anyone tell me if there good or have a review on them thanks
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #6388
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspatron View Post
I have a 92 240sx Dual cam. i replaced the head gasket and it still smokes but only after ive driven it for a while. The smoke is blue. a friend did a compresion test and all 4 cyl. were good. Also the engine shakes a lil. I took it to get the ignition timing corrected since it was of. any suggestions?
could be anything
valve seals
headgasket still not seated
poor lower end, regardless of compression test

Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #6389
89SwapXE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
89SwapXE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
ok a noob one
thinking about getting a test pipe. looking at 2.5
i think stock is 2.25. i know im just going bigger but will it leak???
89SwapXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #6390
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SwapXE View Post
ok a noob one
thinking about getting a test pipe. looking at 2.5
i think stock is 2.25. i know im just going bigger but will it leak???
very unlikely, just make sure you have the right flanges and tighten them enough.