Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #631
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
In theory it should be fine. I say go all out and full build. But if the money is not there we can't give it to you lol
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #632
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
its not a monetary issue its more of a laziness issue these days lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #633
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
Yea because we're all getting old now hahah
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #634
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Do it then!!!!! But a full build would be pointless to only boost 12-14psi
Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #635
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-20sx View Post
Yea because we're all getting old now hahah
lol aint that the truth.

it won't be a "full build" just arp rod bolts and new bearings.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #636
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Sucks to hear about the hg. I've been following this since the beginning and it has always been one of my favorite s14 builds. It's good to see that you're finally going to put those heads to good use lol

Last edited by Hoffman5982; 10-19-2012 at 12:07 AM..
Hoffman5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #637
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

So decided to go through with the bottom end pulled the tranny and put it on the stand.

Twin plate love...

pulled the timing cover and the motor looks brand new inside.... Not bad for 126,000 miles. Starting to think I'm wasting my time but whatever its half disassembled. I bet the bearings look new as well. Le sigh...

Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #638
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

snapped a pic into the oil pan, you can't make it out that well in the picture but you can kinda tell how the oil pick up has been smashed into the bottom of the pan for the last two years lol....

Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #639
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Lol so you decided to build the bottom end. Good luck bud. I still got my vh sitting on the stand.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #640
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-20sx View Post
Lol so you decided to build the bottom end. Good luck bud. I still got my vh sitting on the stand.
well i have all the parts already

clevite main / rod / and thrust bearings.
ARP Rod bolts
Hastings rings
and obviously the heads and cams already assembled with super tech valve springs ad titanium retainers.

Dropping the bottom end off at the machine shop on monday so it shouldn't be too long, I'm thinking about a week at the machine shop then another week to assemble and put it back in. But you know how that is.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #641
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Oh yes I know how that goes lol. I still need to install my oem intake manifold but I just moved so everything is everywhere and my engine is still at my moms house... Blah.

Good luck though. I'll def keep A tab on your thread Jerry. Def your an inspiration to the vh community haha
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #642
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

lol thanks man.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #643
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

so pulled the pan...

Heres a nice shot of my smashed into oil pan pick up...... I must stress this has been like this for two years and never lost not even 1 psi of oil pressure thank god.

Nice and clean bottom end...

So pulled one rod bearing from each of the throws. And as suspected this was a big waste of time. All the bearings are clean and have minimal wear. I should have just slapped the heads back on and been done with it. But whatever what can i do.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #644
future
Post Whore!

Better safe then sorry
Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #645
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #646
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

that you did sir.... that you did.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #647
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
I actually did the exact same thing with my LS6 earlier this year. Wanted to tear it down to get a look at everything, didn't have an excuse to change anything since everything looked perfect. Buttoned it back up with the new heads and did burnouts.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #648
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"do NOT pull wrenches towards your face!!!!!!!!!"

"Buttoned it back up with the new heads and did burnouts."

Good stuff... Keep it comin.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #649
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

so pulled the rest of it apart. Headed to the machine shop tomorrow morning at 6am.

On to the pics

Go the valve covers back from the coaters. Sparkle silver. Should stand out in the engine bay now.

Took all the pistons out.

Went thru the spares of the spares lol for spare parts.

6 bolt main for the pain in the arse disassembly

Empty crankcase.

Now it wasn't dirty by any stretch but i sprayed some degreaser on it so the machine shop guys don't get there hands so dirty.

Some nissan love.

Nice and clean.

Bolted everything back finger tight for the machine shop tomorrow.

ARP sr20det rod bolts direct fit and clevite mains rods and thrust bearings ready to go in.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #650
future
Post Whore!

Nice, hope all goes well
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #651
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Love the pace.

Usually this is one of those things that goes something like:
"going to tear the engine down"
... wait 3 months
"got some parts back from the machine shop"
... wait a month
"started putting it back together"

Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #652
future
Post Whore!

Yeah what ^^^ said. You move quick, you were talking about going lsX. Then the next day you had the engine pulled and half apart
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #653
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

thanks I'm pretty obsessive so that helps.

We shall see how long the machine shop takes, they are very reputable and they told me 3-5 business days. I have yet to have any shop local to me ever keep a time table. Thats why I'm driving an 1.5 hr for this one. Time will tell.

I want to have it running by the end of the month.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #654
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
"Now it wasn't dirty by any stretch but i sprayed some degreaser on it so the machine shop guys don't get there hands so dirty."

At least you tore it down for a good reason LOL.
Great car. One of the builds that has gotten me off my lazy ass to get mine on the road again.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #655
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Disassembly is easy. Reassembly is alittle more complicated. Love the progress jerry. You def move fast
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #656
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Love the pace.

Usually this is one of those things that goes something like:
"going to tear the engine down"
... wait 3 months
"got some parts back from the machine shop"
... wait a month
"started putting it back together"
mostly, motivation AND budget dictate a build thread
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #657
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Dropped it off at total engine concepts. They do all the work for Titan motorsports and where highly recommended. After talking with them the told me I should go a couple thou looser than the fsm recommends as its not a drag car and drifting/road race engines especially aluminum. Tend to run warmer and they loosen up with heat.

I'm not sure how I feel about that as the fsm dictated some pretty right clearances for "loose".

We did hit a snag though. The rings are gonna take a week or two to get. As everything for this motor. It's not on the shelf.

I'll try to find other things to occupy my time. I wouldn't want to disappoint with the updates. Lol.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #658
future
Post Whore!

You do a good job at keeping your thread updated
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #659
jbballa9876
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jbballa9876 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Are you checking the bearing clearances and grinding the piston rings yourself or letting the machine shop do that? Im going to have to go through this entire thread to see your goals. Im currently running vh45 but thinking of switching to the Toyota 2uz for the iron block with lots of boost in mind.
jbballa9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #660
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

I decided to let them assemble the short block, i will do final assembly. Also the pistons will be calico coated on the skirts to match the factory coating.

Stock clearances are as follows

Main
.0005 - .0012
Limit .0020

Rods
.0008 - .0018
Limit .0026

Being that he recommended the loose side of factory .0012 mains and .0018 rods seems a little tight to me compared to what i ran on SR's for high revving. But maybe an aluminum v8 expands like a mofo. I don't know. What do you guys think.

Goals are a solid 500-550 whp @ 8000 rpm.