Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #691
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
omikron nomad soul is a sick game..... but shenmu is better
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #692
AreJizzle

Trader Rating: (0)
AreJizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's funny I recall seeing this car on Craigslist before you bought it. I thought it was the coolest car, I had it as my wall paper for the longest time.
AreJizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #693
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalypso123 View Post
omikron nomad soul is a sick game..... but shenmu is better
Never got into it, and to the craigslist guy. There were so many other cars out there that would've fit my budget, but I will be honest and say the wheels alone sold me on this car.

I've never seen anyone get a pair of volk gt-u's right when ordering sizing.

Sorry for the lack of updates... my unemployment ended and is now reinstated so things should start moving once my next check is in.

Right now it's sitting as you saw it last, I just cleaned my garage and vacuumed the car.... We got the metal in place for the driver side wheel tub and I have yet to resolve my windshield wiper issue but now that I think about it I am sure my ground just isn't large enough since it's grounded to the body of the car and not the engine.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #694
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
... and I have yet to resolve my windshield wiper issue but now that I think about it I am sure my ground just isn't large enough since it's grounded to the body of the car and not the engine.
LOL your electrical explanations are always so definite... hate to say it, but unless it's not connected *at all* that's not the problem. I found my wiper diagram, I'll draw it out for you or something. Do you have the wiper amp still, because it won't auto-return without it ~

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #695
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
yes I have a wiper amp that matches the wiper motor which I remember being important lol. Also does anyone have any recommendations on what to wear while welding overhead, it's not my head or face that's the problem, I took my windshield money and bought an auto dimming welding mask (pretty cool actually)... but obviously my honda porter shirts are not the business for stopping hot flux from landing on my belly button, fuck my stomach is all burnt up lol.

And yes that means I just welded on my own car for the first time (just laying down the beads) my brother did the hard part, spot welding and shaping the metal.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #696
Bubbles
Post Whore!

Bubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfection
The welder is set way too hot or whoever is welding is holding it too long.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
put your MIG on the lowest voltage setting with a ~15% feed speed and turn up the gas,

Agreed, turn that thing way down.

Quote:
I'd much rather try it with a TIG, then you'd have separate feed and voltage control.

Agreed again. Being able to control the heat on thin stuff is a lifesaver.

Quote:
Also does anyone have any recommendations on what to wear while welding overhead, it's not my head or face that's the problem, I took my windshield money and bought an auto dimming welding mask (pretty cool actually)... but obviously my honda porter shirts are not the business for stopping hot flux from landing on my belly button, fuck my stomach is all burnt up lol.

Kevlar or welder's jacket?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #697
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
great build man...very detailed....excellent work!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #698
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
The welder is set way too hot or whoever is welding is holding it too long.
I think he is probably holding it too long. I told him so but what do I know I have arm chair welding experience against him welding in my roof, and core support lol.

Quote:
Agreed, turn that thing way down.
it's at it's lowest setting, it's a generic lincoln electric welder, no gas, no argon, no fancy shit. Just some get er done shit.

Here is what I did today before I ran out of wire. (laying down beads, and sealing all of the holes.)

I marked where I welded... my brother said you're supposed to hear a sizzle, but with the shitty angle you get to weld with on top of the fact the car isn't on a lift and you have to sit indian style with the wheel hub shoved in your back. I don't think the welding is going to get any better than this.

He told me to think of it as a big soldering iron. So I did. I don't think I did half bad either since it's my first time. But it's all going to get ground up and covered in undercoating and seam sealant so i'm not trying to win "fairs best" with the welding.

Quote:
After watching my brothers, and some videos online, I gave a crack at welding a try after having them explain a few things to me. I'm too terrified to burn a hole in myself lol.

so far I haven't burnt through myself with spatter, but i'm getting there lol.

Quote:
Kevlar or welder's jacket?
Yeah, so I think instead I will wear my mark ecko jean jacket I bought about 5 years ago that gets no street play anymore since it's so ghetto looking lol. Both of those sound rather out of my non budget.

here is a shot of the driver side, the welding isn't as bad as this side required less material.

after inspecting my "fender pull" turns out they were never pulled or rolled, but hammered into the shape they're in.

Interesting.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #699
Bubbles
Post Whore!

Bubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfection
Quote:
Iit's a generic lincoln electric welder, no gas, no argon, no fancy shit. Just some get er done shit.

Flux core?

Quote:

... my brother said you're supposed to hear a sizzle,

Yeah, you should hear a constant sizzle.

I'd do a quick weave over the edge. Like so /\/\/\/\/\
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #700
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I'm assuming so, this is what I am going to replace.

I'll give that weave thing a try tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #701
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I finished up the rest of the minor welding, and figured how I will do the bolt in core support.

Spent the whole weekend moving my brother into a house from his old apartment, spent all day swapping cars.

My car will be at his house so he can do the prep work (filler, seam sealer, grinding, sanding), and his corolla with a 20v swap and direct coil ignition system will come to my house for me to work on.

Gotta fill the tranny and the engine with oil, then pretty much put the engine together (harness stuff, test it to see if it will fire up, put in the heater core, etc.

Then we drove down to riverside to pick up his turbo 99 Civic Si which also is non operational at the moment, car blew a rod cap on the freeway 1600 miles after a fresh rebuild.

I got home and now I am eating dinner, more moving tomorrow, then dive into this fucking corolla.

FML
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #702
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
*burnt stomach pics*
Oh man, I know the feeling. Nice manscaping lol. When it's hot out, I don't feel like covering up with leather/etc. Old jean jacket sounds perfect.

Quote:

.035" is too big. You want .030" for that thin stuff, its the most common flux-core size. You'll need .030" electrode too, but those are cheap.

For thin stuff, get the bead started on the thicker/better surface, and 'roll' it onto the thin stuff, then stop before it burns through. You should get something that looks like this (also flux core, just needed it close enough to bondo the rest):

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #703
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I didn't take pictures of my monstrosity but just like you said, once it's filled with the sealer and undercoating it wont even matter.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #704
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Dear god... both of you are TERRIBLE welders..

Don't be giving advice until I see some prettier welds, Jeff.

and is this damn thing a car yet?
I still had an s14 when you came to get those ganadors.. That was like a million years ago.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #705
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is that Kanye helping you load the car up?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #706
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
Dear god... both of you are TERRIBLE welders..

Don't be giving advice until I see some prettier welds, Jeff.
It's Jeff, anything besides electrical work I don't take too seriously lol. He has as much welding experience as I do. Only he's super technical and I'm a get-r-done type of guy.

Quote:
and is this damn thing a car yet?
It's been passed on to my brother now.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #707
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
A million!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #708
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'd much rather try it with a TIG, then you'd have separate feed and voltage control. Running a constant small bead or
filling small gaps with wire feed FTL.

Anyway, its comin along Wayne! Can't wait to see paint pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Ugh.....

TIG is the WRONG process for this.

TIG puts 70% of heat into the work piece and 30% into the electrode. MIG is the opposite.

Doing body work with TIG will warp EVERYTHING. And it will do it to an unrepairable extent.

I shaved and stitch welded a friend K20 DC2 engine bay. ALL with my TIG.
It take WAY to long for what it's worth.

On top of that.
Automotive sheet metal is layered. Not in all spots obviously. The TIG heats up all the shit in between. Then it explodes all over the tungsten. This will happen frequently.

Don't use TIG for body work. You'll regret doing it, lol
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #709
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Ugh.....

TIG is the WRONG process for this.

TIG puts 70% of heat into the work piece and 30% into the electrode. MIG is the opposite.

Doing body work with TIG will warp EVERYTHING. And it will do it to an unrepairable extent.

I shaved and stitch welded a friend K20 DC2 engine bay. ALL with my TIG.
It take WAY to long for what it's worth.

On top of that.
Automotive sheet metal is layered. Not in all spots obviously. The TIG heats up all the shit in between. Then it explodes all over the tungsten. This will happen frequently.

Don't use TIG for body work. You'll regret doing it, lol
Interesting! I knew about the difference in where the heat goes, but honestly I can't see laying a solid bead on any of this thin shit without being able to modulate power/wire feed separately.

Since all I weld is car stuff, I guess I'll just stick with my cheapo MIG Thanks Atutt!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #710
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
^It's not the ability to modulate and control on the fly. It's the amount of heat the TIG puts into the work piece vs. the amount MIG does. Which makes it an almost impossible task.

I can lay a solid mig bead just fine. Where as with tig. It's a struggle to keep the shit behind from boiling and exploding.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #711
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:

Yep you are running inner-sheild (Flux-core). The wire is realy hollow and there is a flux inside that when melted the flux sheilds the weld.
If you pick up a gas kit for your welder you will love how much better it welds. Thin stuff is so hard to weld with flux core...it is do-able, but fairly tough.
If getting a gas set up is not in your budget make yourself a spoon. Take a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and smash one end flat. Use the flat behind the parts you are welding. It will help draw some of the heat away and you will not burn through as much. Since it is copper the weld should not stick to it if you do burn through.
Welding is like driving...the more seat time you have the better you get.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #712
Om1kron
Post Whore!

oh well thanks for the advice, I think i'm done with welding, now that I have a drivable car i will harass luizgonz for any of my welding services lol.

otherwise I've had my hands busy with this.

Installing an SDS EM-4-F standalone engine management system in my brothers car to run this 20v silvertop and finally get this piece of shit semi road worthy haha.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 AM   #713
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

That motor looks badass. Too bad it only puts out like 80hp, at 19000rpm. That's dope you're able to help your bro out with that though ~

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 AM   #714
Om1kron
Post Whore!

you're fucking telling me, i'm like ok engine swap, 1200 dollar engine management system (obviously used) itbs, the whole nine and people only make 120hp with this shit, wtf... no wonder why Luke jammed an SR in this little piece of shit.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #715
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
you're fucking telling me, i'm like ok engine swap, 1200 dollar engine management system (obviously used) itbs, the whole nine and people only make 120hp with this shit, wtf... no wonder why Luke jammed an SR in this little piece of shit.
LOL! Post of the year shit on club4ag, I swear.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #716
EchaKqulo
Leaky Injector

EchaKqulo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
That motor looks badass. Too bad it only puts out like 80hp, at 19000rpm. That's dope you're able to help your bro out with that though ~
Quote:
Quote:
LOL! Post of the year shit on club4ag, I swear.
I almost die reading your comments, i wish a could see Wayne's face reading thru. "Oh i got my stand alone, ITB, bad ass header, etc. now i am going to put some serious ponies down ~1500 hp. WTF i can only achieve 120 hp on this lawnmower engine??"

LoL^3
EchaKqulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #717
SUPERSTAR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
SUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfectionSUPERSTAR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Just checking in, done yet? Nope! Ok bye.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #718
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTC SUPERSTAR View Post
Just checking in, done yet? Nope! Ok bye.
actually I need to get some 40 and 80 grit sandpaper. I'll snap you some pictures in a few gotta go drop that shit off for him.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #719
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
hey bud...lemme know if theres anything u need to still salvage from my shell...its getting chopped up this weekend...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #720
Om1kron
Post Whore!

you guys are animals.