Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #7291
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
dont forget different color.

What do you guys think of buying a brand like that and re-welding them yourself (or professionally) and adding higher quality ends like QA1/Aurora?

Or is the quality of metal they use to begin with just plain inferior?
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #7292
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
dont forget different color.

What do you guys think of buying a brand like that and re-welding them yourself (or professionally) and adding higher quality ends like QA1/Aurora?

Or is the quality of metal they use to begin with just plain inferior?
Many people do actually do that, in fact on my car I did this on my FLCA, as per following Def's 'Budget Baller' mod for them. QA1 bearings inner/outer and all is well. Sure you can reweld them too, no doubt that can always help, but you rearely if ever see those welds breaking...not to say they couldn't though.

IIRC Jordan Innovations actually had all of the legwork sorted out and bearings in stock (or available) for most copy-cat arms...send him a PM to see if he still does that.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #7293
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatik View Post
There are 3 OEM options. 180SX sideskirts flare down at each end. Silvia sideskirts are flat along the bottom (don't flare down). And Canadian sideskirts look like Silvia ones, but have an indention that runs along the length, ending a few inches before the rear wheel.
Awesome, thanks man! Now I just gotta decide which ones I like best...
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #7294
Wake
Premium Member

Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Thanks C-murder

I appreciate your input.

And your sig. Well played sir.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #7295
boost addict
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
boost addict is making a name for him/her selfboost addict is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
How do you see your likes?
boost addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #7296
foxystyle
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
foxystyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
K thank you soreballz, I'm gonna just buy the toe and ruca from Isis, reweld and call it a day until the new shop Max arms are here.
foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #7297
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxystyle View Post
K thank you soreballz, I'm gonna just buy the toe and ruca from Isis, reweld and call it a day until the new shop Max arms are here.
The shitty welds are not the big issue. The main thing is the shitty rod ends, as stated by Codyace and WakeBHR.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #7298
igreek
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
igreek is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quick question guys.

Is it possible to pass emissions without an EGR for a KADE? When I got the motor from the previous owner, they hacked the egr pipe off, so I went ahead and removed everything else. With a new cat, my car passes everything except NOX, obviously.

My understanding is that the EGR recirculates exhaust gas, to pretty much lower combustion temps? Higher temps=more NOX, right?

If I messed with the timing and ran the motor rich, would that lower NOX enough to help me pass? Or does anyone know any other way? Thanks!
igreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #7299
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok so i have the (upper?) harness off my sr, its the one with the spark plug and injectors and all that. im going to attempt a wire tuck here, and im just wondering which wires exactly do i need to extend. i stupidly didnt check while it was on the car. and do i need to add anything to this harness fuse wise or anything? or just cut and solder in more wire?
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #7300
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
I personally don't so much difference between the two listed. If you're going to do the work, do it once. No reason you 'need' them today if you wait 2 weeks and get quality ones like SPL or Cusco

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
The shitty welds are not the big issue. The main thing is the shitty rod ends, as stated by Codyace and WakeBHR.
Agreed. As much as I hate to admit it, the CHinese at least through enough heat at things to have them stick. Pretty? No. Effective? Yes.

Bearing wise, they are such pieces of shit. Sticky, lack of articulation, poor finish, and one can not deny the material

Outer bearing
Godspeed Left, QA1 Right

Inner Rod End
QA1 Left, Godspeed Right

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #7301
HIGHFIVEBETA
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
HIGHFIVEBETA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
ok so i have the (upper?) harness off my sr, its the one with the spark plug and injectors and all that. im going to attempt a wire tuck here, and im just wondering which wires exactly do i need to extend. i stupidly didnt check while it was on the car. and do i need to add anything to this harness fuse wise or anything? or just cut and solder in more wire?
You don't need to extend anything on your wiring harness. The work here is minimal but you need to be careful. The only thing you'd need to do to make it cleaner is remove the AC wire, the MAF if your running a map setup, and thats it from what i remember... reloom everything with some better looking stuff and shrink wrap.

Word of advice: Make sure to zip tie everything after you remove the original loom/tape from beginning to end of harness. If you don't.. you'll be left with a mess that will be very difficult to reloom. i learned from experience.
HIGHFIVEBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #7302
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFIVEBETA View Post
You don't need to extend anything on your wiring harness. The work here is minimal but you need to be careful. The only thing you'd need to do to make it cleaner is remove the AC wire, the MAF if your running a map setup, and thats it from what i remember... reloom everything with some better looking stuff and shrink wrap.

Word of advice: Make sure to zip tie everything after you remove the original loom/tape from beginning to end of harness. If you don't.. you'll be left with a mess that will be very difficult to reloom. i learned from experience.
is there not still going to be a bunch of the wire inside the engine bay? i want to clear that up so its not there. or is the majority of doing that with the lower harness and fuse boxes? and is this a suitable loom to buy? Wirecare - Product Detail Page
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #7303
HIGHFIVEBETA
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
HIGHFIVEBETA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
is there not still going to be a bunch of the wire inside the engine bay? i want to clear that up so its not there. or is the majority of doing that with the lower harness and fuse boxes? and is this a suitable loom to buy? Wirecare - Product Detail Page
The only thing you can really do with the engine harness is minimal like I said. Oh and also relocate the ignitor and the wiper amp inside will help too.

Redoing the engine room harness and relocating the fuse box and battery inside will clean up your engine bay real nice.

Techflex is good stuff.

Do your research. Look for the wire tuck thread and the fusebox relocation thread. This is what helped me lots
HIGHFIVEBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #7304
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFIVEBETA View Post
The only thing you can really do with the engine harness is tuck it away. You'll need most of it.

Redoing the engine room harness and relocating the fuse box and battery inside will clean up your engine bay real nice.
so i shouldnt worry about cutting up any wires, and just worry about re looming it? i havent taken the other harness off yet so im not quite sure whats involved with relocating the fuse box and all that yet
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #7305
foxystyle
Zilvia Member

foxystyle is an unknown quantity at this point
@ codyace, then where can I buy these qa1 bearings? I can just replace those with the shit ones. Thanks for the input wake and sore. It'll be a while for me to get my full psm arms, until then I want to at least have the shit arms with better bearings.
foxystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #7306
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
are 350z sway bar end links the same as s13, spl wise?

i feel like since theyre adjustable they would work but idk... i need some sway bar end links that are decent
Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #7307
Wake
Premium Member

Is it safe to leave that plastic shielding under panel type shit off of the gas tank?

I pulled it off and I really dont give a fuck about putting it back on. But I will if it actually protects something
S.P.P.S. Member #00
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #7308
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
@ codyace, then where can I buy these qa1 bearings? I can just replace those with the shit ones. Thanks for the input wake and sore. It'll be a while for me to get my full psm arms, until then I want to at least have the shit arms with better bearings.
the QA1 bearings from from QA1 itself, you can get other good bearings from places online (FK or Aurora etc). Again, PM JordanInnovations as he has all of the crossover stuff at last recolelction.

If not, so long as you find the thread pitch for the rod ends and can measure the spherical bearings, you can compare them to the stuff on QA1 or similar website. I personally do not know the conversions.

FWIW: You running the ISIS or whatever arms with quality bearings is going to be a better product that anything out there this side of SPL.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #7309
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
People complain about fitting aftermarket kits on to their cars, I've never had to deal with them because most of my buddies don't care for them.

Is trimming/sanding aftermarket aero yourself really that difficult?
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #7310
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
People complain about fitting aftermarket kits on to their cars, I've never had to deal with them because most of my buddies don't care for them.

Is trimming/sanding aftermarket aero yourself really that difficult?
YES.

Question...
I have stock unmolested 97 fenders, Don't want to do any pulling or rolling. I am thinking of getting either 15x8 +0 225/50/15 or 225/60/15. Or 16x8 +0 with 225/50/16 I would like to have some meat in there. I like the look. I don't really like the rubber band tires. I know it's not 255 like others on here, But its all stock motor. No need for tires that wide.

I have tried searching in many other threads, max tire, this one, Wheel whore, fs, etc, but this info isn't available... Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #7311
xeemersil80
Zilvia Member

xeemersil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
help me identify these fenders

Hey guys i have been looking around for these fenders and their product number and name. I am sure there is someone out there who know what they are and who makes them. thanks fellow zilvians.
p2.jpg
xeemersil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #7312
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
those are koguchi.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #7313
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey guys,

I converted my vert to a 5speed last summer. I used an OEM Exedy kit with the throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Everything ran smooth. I made a few 1200 miles journeys to school and such (17 hours non stop driving). Well over the summer, I drove another 2400 miles to san diego and back, on the way back it was non stop. My transmission is making noise now. I push the clutch in, downshift into a lower gear, and while the clutch is still depressed, thats when the noise happens. It sounds like some rotational noise which makes me believe its the throwout bearing. Is the noise is happening, I can feel viabraitions in the clutch pedal which is why I think its the throwout bearing again. As soon as I let off the clutch pedal, the noise goes away and the driveablity of the car is not affected. There are zero leaks from the transmission so I am positive no fluid drained out. (the transmission always is cleaned and is always dry everywhere when I do clean it)
Can anyone justify?

Thank you!
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #7314
muffler
Zilvia Junkie

muffler is an unknown quantity at this point
EDIT:figured it out

Last edited by muffler; 08-19-2011 at 02:51 AM..
muffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #7315
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
ilya - sounds like throwout bearing to me as well.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #7316
YellowFox
Leaky Injector

YellowFox is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a parasitic drain and I sourced it out to be in the power window/car alarm circuitry. Whenever I remove the fusible link the problem is gone. How can I fix this troublesome problem?

P.S. Whenever I reconnect the fusible link I hear a clicking sound on the driver side.
YellowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #7317
daftphunk
Zilvia Addict

daftphunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Sup guys.
Just got some kouki skirts in. I'm going to do a full paint/body work in 5 weeks or so but I want to throw these on now and I'll prob. rattle can em.

What's the best way to go about this? I've read and heard so many different things. They are OEM white and I'm looking to paint them red. So far what I gathered is the process should be something like: sand, primer, primer, base coat, base coat, clear. Should I be doing more sanding in between coats? And at what grit? And any wet sanding after?

Some friends told me to just get the scotch brite 3M scuff pads and that should be fine before primer, instead of sanding them all the way down, but some better input would be nice. Also I'm guessing since it's polyurethane (correct me if I am wrong) then I should use some adhesive promoter instead of primer?
daftphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #7318
muffler
Zilvia Junkie

muffler is an unknown quantity at this point
what color is this? if u have a color code that would be awsome/

muffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #7319
pandaroo
Zilvia Member

pandaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know of a small digital speedomeeter readout? i just want to have a big tach in my cluster with some way of still knowing how fast im going lol. i was thinking about getting a hud but i dont know how i would get it to work with my r154 as it uses a different signal. any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #7320
Wake
Premium Member

I dont remember where to find them but they make speedo conversion thingies for adapting different trannys and speedometers.
S.P.P.S. Member #00