Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #721
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Since you have done a thorough job shaving the bay, what about moving the engine harness hole and wiring to a less obvious location?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #722
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatedmax View Post
Since you have done a thorough job shaving the bay, what about moving the engine harness hole and wiring to a less obvious location?
The engine harness hole IS welded up. It was to the left of the two holes that are horizontal. The two horizontal holes are for A/C lines and the two vertical holes are for heater lines.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #723
Taylor008
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Taylor008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I may have missed it, but... No tubs? Figured I would see those on your car for sure.

Looking great, though!
Taylor008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #724
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Awesome progress, Tob! I'm jealous.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #725
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor008 View Post
I may have missed it, but... No tubs? Figured I would see those on your car for sure.

Looking great, though!
Because street car
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #726
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor008 View Post

Looking great, though!
I really thought about it and actually was going to, but the car will not be going any lower and I do not really rub now... so I figured why ruin the look of the OEM-ish bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Awesome progress, Tob! I'm jealous.
Thanks homes! I should have the engine bay painted by the cookout along with the engine strapped in the bay.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #727
comablack783
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
comablack783 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sick clean work! your engine bay with the SR for a long time was desktop background.. couldnt believe you took it out ...

but seriously, how does your car not rub!!? my s13 which is not nearly as aggressive in stance fitment rubs like a mother f***er with stock fenders and tubs... the inner tubs cut in to my tires etc... fun times tho...
comablack783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #728
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
work looks great, keep it up!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #729
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I have a couple updates this time around.

Part 1:

Continuing on the bay, I blocked down the body filler in front of the tubs on each side:

I then skim coated that area with some Evercoat Metal Glaze to fill in any remaining imperfections, pinholes and the like. Blocked that down then sprayed the area with etch primer to properly seal all of the bare metal. It's nice to finally be able to get an idea of what the bay is going to look like. Keep in mind, my goal was never to make this a completely smoothed/shaved bay. I simply wanted to fill all of the holes and remove any brackets etc. I absolutely want it to still look like an engine bay with all of the weird metal undulations etc. I just didn't want it to look like a motor sitting in a perfectly smoothed bathtub... it's not a show car.

Now I'm at the point of going back and addressing little areas... making sure everything is up to standards before I primer it. I will be using 4 coats of white primer on this. I also need to reapply seam sealer to all of the OEM locations that originally had it before I primer it.

Part 2:

I finally received all of my Sikky product yesterday. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Sikky was nice enough to give me a partial sponsorship. Even with that, it took me a few months to save up the dough to get it here. In trade for the hook up, I agreed to give my honest opinion on the product and dole out several write-ups on installation, performance and so on. I will start off by saying that they have been nothing short of perfection in the customer service area. I have been dealing with Justin over there and have had zero complaints!

Onto the product... I want to post a couple pictures of each product to start off with. I'm sure most have seen this stuff several times, but this will be a good thread to see multiple pictures of the product, on and off the vehicle/motor.

Sikky Headers: I went with the 1-7/8" primaries since I plan on over 500whp and eventually more down the road. I opted for the coated ones. I went ahead and mounted one up because I wanted to check for fitment and clearance issues... all is good!

I knew it would be VERY tight at the bottom back of the motor where the bell housing bolts up. I just assumed I would have to shave that corner of the block just to get them to fit, but they actually fit. There is about 2mm of clearance... which I will be shaving that corner off just to make sure there is no rubbing issues at any point.

Sikky Oil Pan Kit: Very nice craftsmanship! The kit includes a new oil pickup, new oil dip stick, tube and bung, new OEM gasket and new oil filter relocation setup. Everything seems to be really well thought out. The new location for the oil dip stick is also baffled on the inside... little things like that were not overlooked.

I probably won't be utilizing the Sikky oil filter relocation. While I'm sure it will work just fine, I will want something a little more "baller" for this setup... something similar to what I had on my SR. Everything in the bay will be braided nylon AN lines anyway, so I would hate to have some stainless lines just chill'n in the bay all by themselves. You never know though, I may use it temporarily just to get it fired up.

Sikky LS Motor Mounts: Not much to say, they are a solid hunk of metal that looks tits. As long as they line up and don't break down the road then I guess they'll work just fine. They also make a solid mount option, which I obviously opted not to go with.

Sikky Master Cylinder Conversion Kit: Utilizes a Wilwood master cylinder(which I'll be coating black to match my Wilwood brake master cylinder) and Sikky's CNC'd mount for an effortless install onto the firewall. Lines are also included.

Sikky Driveshaft: I went with the aluminum option... they also make a steel version. They have them for S13, S14, with or without ABS.

Sikky Subframe Bushings:

The transmission subframe is also included in this kit, but it is on backorder... should have that sooner than later. With the extended weekend, I'm hoping to get the pan on and work on the bay a little more. I promised a lot of my time to the family though, so we'll see how it goes. It is a 2-day weekend for me though, so I should have enough time to please everyone

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 10-11-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #730
akuma13

akuma13 is an unknown quantity at this point
so much swag.
akuma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #731
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
If tobby can use silky. It must be quality. I also plan on using that kit
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #732
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
sikky is good local peoples
Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #733
tehkmob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
tehkmob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_04K View Post
That was a stupid post. You could have said anything else about it and it would have been completely fine...But me and the rest of the community that will be watching this build know that anything Broadfield does to his car is going to be well beyond "nice". Sorry its not "JDM" enough for you teddy.

Broadfield: I would imagine you'll be keeping A/C in this? I've heard it was rather complicated with Lsx swaps. If you do keep it..you'll be the first ive seen to actually do it.
C6 electronic compressor ftw

Nice s13 and a LS3 will definitely NOT make this anyless of a s13. For all the LSx hater, GM and Nissan/datsun go WAAAAYYYYYYY back... so its almost like a OEM swap... They been swapping SBC into datsuns since the 80's.. and now the evolution, LSx into S and Z chassis...
tehkmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #734
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
STL240SXDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I never knew Sikky made drive shafts....so nice. This build is looking pretty good.
STL240SXDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #735
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Ãœber jelly
Old 09-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #736
NismoTuner21
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
NismoTuner21 will become famous soon enoughNismoTuner21 will become famous soon enoughNismoTuner21 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
B-e-a-utiful.
NismoTuner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #737
Smallblock

Smallblock is an unknown quantity at this point
Absolutely amazing. Love the attention to detail and overall (ridiculously) high quality of this build.

Loved the SR setup, already love the LS setup!
Smallblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #738
WESamiss
Leaky Injector

WESamiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey broadfield, I like how you have your tool boxes set up. It reminds me of work. But at work we do it a bit different, we have 2layers of foam, different colors. Cut the shape of the tools out on one layer then set a second layer under it. so if anything is missing you know right away what it is.

you definitely have a baller ass set up. just a little food for thought if the idea hasnt floated around before.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #739
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Dang what a boss!! Pumped about the progress

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #740
Promise Land
Zilvia Member

Promise Land is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to laugh for a second with the quote, "It's not a show car..." C'mon... Yes it is. You just choose to drive it. It may not be "made for show only", but you show it off. And we love you for it.
Promise Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #741
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promise Land View Post
C'mon... Yes it is.
Actually, no it's not. Think what you want, but show cars are built for a specific purpose. Modifications are chosen to win a judges vote. I just happen to have a really clean car because that's what I want and that's how I keep it. Never once have I done a mod because I thought someone else would like it. So by definition it's not a show car. Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you said

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #742
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Parts look good. Any reason why you went with solid subframe bushings, yet opted out of the solid engine mounts?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #743
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I am loving the build man, I just jumped in the hunt for a good LS2/3. for my new project also.

I have been seeing some GTO ls3's engines with tranny for around $5k. wondering how much you paid for yours if you dont mind sharing.
also, did you buys yours new or used?

and any plans on attemtping to legalize your swap?
from what I found out so far any american engine from a newer car can be legalized as long as the emissions system is all there with all the cats.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #744
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
I am loving the build man, I just jumped in the hunt for a good LS2/3. for my new project also.

I have been seeing some GTO ls3's engines with tranny for around $5k. wondering how much you paid for yours if you dont mind sharing.

from what I found out so far any american engine from a newer car can be legalized as long as the emissions system is all there with all the cats.
GTO's had LS2's, some G8's had LS3's. $5k for a LS2 pullout is a good deal, $5k or $6k for a LS3 pullout from a G8 or Camaro is an UNBELIEVABLY good deal.

Passing CA smog is 'virtually impossible' now that they want you to pass something like 10 of the 13 OBD checks (the long-term ones), meaning you'd need the donor car's fuel tank setup/etc as well as the cats. Still possible if you find a sympathetic ref, and definitely possible with the E-rod setup.

Come by the shop sometime Gabe, I'll school ya on all the V8 stuff!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #745
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
I had to shave down that same place on the block and abit on my bellhousing for the driver side headers !

My passenger side headers doesnt fit right with my tranny (gforce gsr) it point in some fiting coming out of the tranny !

Other then that the kit is numero uno !!!!

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574

Last edited by rbs14kouki; 09-04-2011 at 09:01 AM..
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #746
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
strong moves TOBY!
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #747
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Parts look good. Any reason why you went with solid subframe bushings, yet opted out of the solid engine mounts?
I probably wouldn't have went with the solid, but that's all they had to offer. I'm not sure if I will even mess with installing them right away. I might leave that for a small project next winter or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post

Like Jordan said, the GTO never came with an LS3... that would be the C6 and new Camaro SS. However, I did not know that some G8's came with the LS3... you learn something new every day.

I bought mine as a brand new crate motor from Crateenginedepot.com. The only used ones I could find were rolling chassis C6's that they wanted $15k - $20k. I didn't have that much cash flow or storage to buy it and part out the rest.

There are no emissions around here, so I will not be legalizing it. That may change though if they start testing around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalypso123 View Post
strong moves TOBY!
Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post
Other then that the kit is numero uno !!!!
That's good to hear!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #748
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This build is coming along nicely. With i went with an LSvinstead of my 2JZ.
I know what im doing in my next 240.
JDM SPUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #749
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
[QUOTE=Broadfield;4233131]
Like Jordan said, the GTO never came with an LS3... that would be the C6 and new Camaro SS. However, I did not know that some G8's came with the LS3... you learn something new every day.
QUOTE]

It was a mistype, I meant ls2 I am actually winning a bid on a complete gto swap from an 06 , for 4500 ends in a couple hours,
and bidding on a viper gen 3 motor also lol, winning the bid at 7500 as of now.Wish me luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #750
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

stephens14sr is an unknown quantity at this point
everything you do makes me happy.