Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
jholman05
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jholman05
We still talking about shift lights? If so I run a turboxs knocklite unit which doubles as a knock light. It's just hard to find these for sale anymore.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Briou
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Briou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am thinking I am going to go with the raptor shift light....in either the blue or green leds....hopefully I can snag one after christmas....
Briou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Briou
Zilvia Member

So I have been doing allot of research on tires and I have my choices narrowed down to two options....the MT ET street radial, and the hoosier DOT Drag Radial....Still undecided as I have seen recommendations for both tire...What do yall have to say about them??
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
This is just my opinion Briou, but there is hardly any reason at all to use a radial. I know it's street legal and all but you can drive to the strip with true slicks in the back and bolt them up onsite if need be. It's a whole different ball game with real slicks. They almost give a cushion too, when the walls wrinkle.

I just decided personally that dot tires are a waste. If your going to be riding around on the roads all the time I guess I understand if you just have to have max traction everyday, but then again that doesn't make much sense either lol.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Briou
Zilvia Member

I see what you are saying but where I am from the track is open one day a week but we race when the track is closed, if you catch my drift....I am definitely sticking with a radial for the safety benefit of driving on the street...and I am leaning towards the MT's on account of them having more tread in case I happen to get caught in the rain.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briou View Post
I see what you are saying but where I am from the track is open one day a week but we race when the track is closed, if you catch my drift....I am definitely sticking with a radial for the safety benefit of driving on the street...and I am leaning towards the MT's on account of them having more tread in case I happen to get caught in the rain.
If you are worried about rain look into some good r comps like the rs3. Won't wear nearly as bad as a dot radial and is a good balance of grip and safety. They hook like crazy for street tires.
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

MT's are the only radial I've ever owned and they are good for a radial.

Let me stress this to you, DO NOT get caught in the rain. Point blank period. Absolutely no way in hell you will not wreck. I had people blowing horns at red lights because i literally could not get my car going. It would spin in second gear but barely get rolling and then eventually kick sideways and i had to just pull over.

I would almost bet you money that you will only buy one pair of radials before 1.) You realize just driving to the strip will eat them to pieces. And 2.) For the small amount of time it takes to swap them out at the track, slicks are the way to go and they last longer AND they're just a better tire for drag.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
never ran a drag radial in any of my RWD cars but i did run 3 sets in my built all motor honda and turbo integra. I ran BFG's and loved them. everyone complains that they only get 2-3k out of them but its all in how you drive and tire pressure. i would get 7-10k out of them. they suck when wet so if your worried about wet conditions ill stay away from a radial and get a good street tire and swap to slicks for days you want to hook
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Briou
Zilvia Member

Foreign: I have a set of MT Drag radials on the car now, I drive to and from the track once a week...I got caught in the rain the first time I drove on the tires...came up on some water over a bridge on the interstate and spun off the road....I have since learned how to drive in the rain on the MT's and have successfully driven from Starkville to Bay St. Louis, MS...a 268mile drive in the pouring rain....with no problem at all....I just had to take it a little slower....so you would loose that bet....I know what I am getting into...just wanted opinions on the two tires....
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
slow92
Zilvia Junkie

slow92 is an unknown quantity at this point
The ET Streets are a good tire. I used to do a lot of street racing along side my buddy with a twin turbo mustang. He ran these tires and they were awesome from a roll, and if he went from a dig he would do a quick burnout to clean them off and heat them up a little bit. They are definitely going to be the tire I put on my drag lites for track use.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
jholman05
Zilvia Member

jholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nicejholman05 is just really nice
IMO you're also more likely to break stuff on a radial. I just drive to the track on me ET Street bias ply. Then again I only live 10 miles from the track. I just bring a 5 gallon air tank with me and when I leave I fill them back up to 20-25 psi to drive home on.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
Briou
Zilvia Member

I'm only making 350 to the wheels now so I'm not all that worried about breaking stuff...but i see where you are coming from...the bias ply slicks are much more forgiving, and much easier to get to hook, but at the same time they induce more parasitic drag on the top end which hurts ET and trap speed....
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
jholman05
Zilvia Member

We do a fair amount of drag racing locally, and while at the Track I saw a guy with a S14 SR20 2871r at 12psi snap his trans input shaft while running some ET Street radials, he couldn't have been making even 300whp. Maybe it was a freak thing but I've launched 50+ times on similar power without a hiccup.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholman05 View Post
We do a fair amount of drag racing locally, and while at the Track I saw a guy with a S14 SR20 2871r at 12psi snap his trans input shaft while running some ET Street radials, he couldn't have been making even 300whp. Maybe it was a freak thing but I've launched 50+ times on similar power without a hiccup.

Sounds like wheel hop and busted bushings
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Briou
Zilvia Member

I see what you mean...I have had a bunch of launches on my current set of MT radials without an issue so I'm confident in them....
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Briou, I wasn't trying to talk down to you with my opinions. Just giving advice. If you are going with radials, I have heard nothing but good things about MT's, but as with everything else, I've also heard good things about every other name brand tire too.

As far as driving 200+ miles in the rain... I don't care how good you think you are at driving on slicks in the rain, I've driven in the rain with drag tires and I know exactly how they react. Not only is it absolutely ignorant, but you're endangering innocent lives so that you don't have to change ten lug nuts and swap some tires over. Not cool, but "you know what your getting into"...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
Briou
Zilvia Member

All I was saying was that it IS possible to drive on mt drag radials in the rain...is it a good idea, is it something I plan on doing? Hell no....that was the most nerve racking drive of my life...my point was that just because you are unable to do something doesn't mean it CAN'T be done, like you suggested...I agree that it is stupid to drive in the rain on racing tires, which is why I only brought up the subject as a "worst case" scenario....shit happens and you have to do what you have to in certain situations....if I were to get slicks I would not drive too or from the track no matter what the weather man said, but on the MT radials I know that I can make it home if the weather man so happens to be wrong...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

I understand. Sounded like a rain forecast wouldn't slow you down when I read the post. lol

I guess the only bad thing I would have to say about them is the driveline shock that a bias ply could soften, but I also think that 75% of the time that is caused by driver error/improper or worn out suspension parts.

Did you ever get your holeshot figured out?? I haven't went back and re-read anything but I think you said you had problems bogging off the line right?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Briou
Zilvia Member

well I got the AEM EMS installed and tuned, and I got my tuner to tune in anti lag but I haven't been to the track yet to test it out or anything....I think my problem was that I was leaving on like 3lbs of boost so I would just bog, now I can set the anti lag to build nearly 20lbs off the line....I have some experimenting to do but now I think it is just going to be finding the right number so I don't spin....
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

You might have already taken it into consideration, but don't forget about Santos having the mishap off the line. It could have been non related, but I think he might have had a problem with too much boost in a zero load condition (at the line of course). I would think ten or fifteen pounds would be plenty on a small frame turbo. Actually I don't think I would want anymore than that with my t3 turbo either. At least not until I beef up the drivetrain a little bit.

The off season is KILLING me. I literally just got all of my parts in today to finish my build and no where to have fun besides the streets. At least we have a nice chunk of time to fine tune things..
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
Briou
Zilvia Member

Yeah I have thought of that....me and my tuner decided to set it to 14psi at first and see where we are with that....I'm thinking I'm going to have to drop it down to around 10psi....

I also have to play with my suspension....I have the tein mono flex coil overs and I have no clue where to start setting the dampening and all that....I have also been thinking about disconnecting the sway bar for track events so I can get the weight transfer working for me....How do yall have yall's suspension set up?

One of my favorite parts about living on the MS gulf coast is that we get to race nearly year round....yesterday there was a santa claus shoot out at a track an hour away from me, and on the 29th we have a grudge racing event at my local track....nothing but a green light and a win light....
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

My problem was that 2step kills rockers and my rocker broke
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
2js1392 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm also wondering what most the guys run for Suspension setups like who uses spring/shock and who uses what coilovers for weight transfer and crazy 60 foots
2js1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

I use factory struts. I dont think weight transfer gets any better than the factory setup.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignMuscle View Post
I use factory struts. I dont think weight transfer gets any better than the factory setup.
I've used my KW's at the track and they weren't bad. I pulled a 1.9 with them, but I'd bet a 1.7 is capable on a good tire. I was running street tires when I did that.

Is it the best setup? Probably not, but everyone has something that "works" for them and they prefer. I would like to get some stock struts/lowering springs for the track trips.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Ya I would assume that but I just hate having my car so high also that's why was wondering what coil people use
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #27
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

I would use the softest compression setting and highest rebound if using coils.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Ya I have Megan coilovers 32 way adjustable on completely soft settings and I did a 1.56 60 foot Wich isn't bad on Mickey Thompson et streets 26x10.5x15 Wich are pretty worn but in the videos u can see my car bounce in the front
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Stock suspension 26x8.5 pulled front wheels up 1.4 60ft using ebrake
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
Briou
Zilvia Member

So santos...I have got and installed my coils and I don't plan on taking them out...so that being said, what would you think would be the best way to set up them to get my car to hook good off the line?