Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #751
Briou
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Briou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All I was saying was that it IS possible to drive on mt drag radials in the rain...is it a good idea, is it something I plan on doing? Hell no....that was the most nerve racking drive of my life...my point was that just because you are unable to do something doesn't mean it CAN'T be done, like you suggested...I agree that it is stupid to drive in the rain on racing tires, which is why I only brought up the subject as a "worst case" scenario....shit happens and you have to do what you have to in certain situations....if I were to get slicks I would not drive too or from the track no matter what the weather man said, but on the MT radials I know that I can make it home if the weather man so happens to be wrong...
Briou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #752
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I understand. Sounded like a rain forecast wouldn't slow you down when I read the post. lol

I guess the only bad thing I would have to say about them is the driveline shock that a bias ply could soften, but I also think that 75% of the time that is caused by driver error/improper or worn out suspension parts.

Did you ever get your holeshot figured out?? I haven't went back and re-read anything but I think you said you had problems bogging off the line right?
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #753
Briou
Zilvia Member

well I got the AEM EMS installed and tuned, and I got my tuner to tune in anti lag but I haven't been to the track yet to test it out or anything....I think my problem was that I was leaving on like 3lbs of boost so I would just bog, now I can set the anti lag to build nearly 20lbs off the line....I have some experimenting to do but now I think it is just going to be finding the right number so I don't spin....
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #754
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

You might have already taken it into consideration, but don't forget about Santos having the mishap off the line. It could have been non related, but I think he might have had a problem with too much boost in a zero load condition (at the line of course). I would think ten or fifteen pounds would be plenty on a small frame turbo. Actually I don't think I would want anymore than that with my t3 turbo either. At least not until I beef up the drivetrain a little bit.

The off season is KILLING me. I literally just got all of my parts in today to finish my build and no where to have fun besides the streets. At least we have a nice chunk of time to fine tune things..
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #755
Briou
Zilvia Member

Yeah I have thought of that....me and my tuner decided to set it to 14psi at first and see where we are with that....I'm thinking I'm going to have to drop it down to around 10psi....

I also have to play with my suspension....I have the tein mono flex coil overs and I have no clue where to start setting the dampening and all that....I have also been thinking about disconnecting the sway bar for track events so I can get the weight transfer working for me....How do yall have yall's suspension set up?

One of my favorite parts about living on the MS gulf coast is that we get to race nearly year round....yesterday there was a santa claus shoot out at a track an hour away from me, and on the 29th we have a grudge racing event at my local track....nothing but a green light and a win light....
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #756
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My problem was that 2step kills rockers and my rocker broke
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #757
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
2js1392 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm also wondering what most the guys run for Suspension setups like who uses spring/shock and who uses what coilovers for weight transfer and crazy 60 foots
2js1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #758
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

I use factory struts. I dont think weight transfer gets any better than the factory setup.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #759
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Ya I would assume that but I just hate having my car so high also that's why was wondering what coil people use
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #760
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

I would use the softest compression setting and highest rebound if using coils.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #761
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignMuscle View Post
I use factory struts. I dont think weight transfer gets any better than the factory setup.
I've used my KW's at the track and they weren't bad. I pulled a 1.9 with them, but I'd bet a 1.7 is capable on a good tire. I was running street tires when I did that.

Is it the best setup? Probably not, but everyone has something that "works" for them and they prefer. I would like to get some stock struts/lowering springs for the track trips.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #762
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Ya I have Megan coilovers 32 way adjustable on completely soft settings and I did a 1.56 60 foot Wich isn't bad on Mickey Thompson et streets 26x10.5x15 Wich are pretty worn but in the videos u can see my car bounce in the front
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #763
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Stock suspension 26x8.5 pulled front wheels up 1.4 60ft using ebrake
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #764
Briou
Zilvia Member

So santos...I have got and installed my coils and I don't plan on taking them out...so that being said, what would you think would be the best way to set up them to get my car to hook good off the line?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #765
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briou View Post
So santos...I have got and installed my coils and I don't plan on taking them out...so that being said, what would you think would be the best way to set up them to get my car to hook good off the line?
depending on what your spring rate is and the valving you should play with the valve adjustment if it has any then you can play with the spring rate by swapping out springs which you can get from QA1 with different rates.
example with my dads corolla we played with 80lb,110lbs and 120lbs springs in the rear fine tuning what the car likes.
i didnt get a chance to run my car on the coilovers as the day i took it the first time out with the coilovers is when i brke the rocker.

however i will say my friend will be coming out soon with with the car and a new motor and trans set up and it will be making waves
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #766
2js1392
Leaky Injector

What coils did u go with santos ?? And spring rate
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #767
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2js1392 View Post
What coils did u go with santos ?? And spring rate
i had blown Tein HA's which i had laying around so mainy was playing with height first and since they were blown all around it was "spongy"
I had intent on making my own 2 way adjustable rear coilover uses QA1 coils and collars etc but i still will on my old car since my buddy owns it. its just a matter of "time" so i can do it then if it works ill offer it up for you drag guys to buy
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #768
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Now that's what I like to hear !!!! I don't mind a prototype either lets make it happen lol
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #769
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Now that's what I like to hear !!!! I don't mind a prototype either lets make it happen lol
ya time is and was always a issue for me, from the time i get up for work and get home from work its a 14 1/2hr day then on weekends i catch up with what i can around the house and with my GF and daughter i tend to be busy and squeeze what i can in when i can lol. But for 2013 i plan on being more productive with product development and fabbing on top of the new Corolla project.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #770
2js1392
Leaky Injector

Lol I'm only messing with you I'm a patient waiter but in the mean time If any of u drag guys wanna get rid of your good (not blown ) stocks for my 32 way adjustable Megan's Wich have less than. 300 miles on them let me know
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #771
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Lol I'm only messing with you I'm a patient waiter but in the mean time If any of u drag guys wanna get rid of your good (not blown ) stocks for my 32 way adjustable Megan's Wich have less than. 300 miles on them let me know
why not get them revalved and change out the spring
Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #772
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I ended up getting Fortune Auto 500's with custom spring and custom valving to help with squatting. I had to call FA and discuss the setup with the tech....then they provided recommendations. I ended up choosing the option which I thought was a happy medium between daily driving and drag. Ben Freed also runs Fortune Auto as do a few people that have been rather successful with launches using these Coils.

Shameless plug if anyone is interested in Precision 1600cc injectors:
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/49394...ow-tested.html
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #773
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

ya i know FA makes a drag spec but @ $700 for a rear pair i would much rather go with a custom double adjustable set up for less because theres is single adjustable. if it was for a set front and rear then thats more reasonable but only for the rears is steep
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #774
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Totally understandable but I didn't pay full price for these. These were the hassle free option for me but if you can custom make your on setup for less then kudos to you. I have seen SupraForums guys make some sick cost effective setups.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 12-20-2012 at 06:39 PM..
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #775
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

how much are you guys willing to pay for the truest drag spec rear coil over set up ?
rear coilover will be height adjustable, double adjustable rebound/compression 24 way. Telon lined bearings and poly bushings with billet top mount fully bolt on.

problem with others are they do not offer double adjustment and only have 1 way adjustable valving. with the double adjustment you can have it squat fast and rise slow which will increase weight transfer and minimize trafer between shifts.

let me know guys these units will be 100% USA made.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #776
2js1392
Leaky Injector

I'm interested in the setup u let us know what the price is. Obviously u have to make a profit and or if u want ill send u my coilovers and u do your thing to them to make them work that will work for me 2 but it's up to u !!! I'm sure it woudnt be a issue if its a fair price for most of us
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #777
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

well this wouldnt be a modified set up it will be all new and with billet mounts
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #778
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@nt0s View Post
how much are you guys willing to pay for the truest drag spec rear coil over set up ?
rear coilover will be height adjustable, double adjustable rebound/compression 24 way. Telon lined bearings and poly bushings with billet top mount fully bolt on.

problem with others are they do not offer double adjustment and only have 1 way adjustable valving. with the double adjustment you can have it squat fast and rise slow which will increase weight transfer and minimize trafer between shifts.

let me know guys these units will be 100% USA made.
It really depends on demand. If there is more demand you can obviously open with a small price in mind, but if you're making 5 sets it could be expensive. I wouldn't mind having something to swap to vs my KWs for the drag, but I'm not willing to spend $1k+ when my KW's will suit me just fine with some tuning. Then again, my car isn't a straight drag car and perhaps the few guys out there that are drag specific would like this setup. Obviously more details are need before anyone says they are willing.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #779
2js1392
Leaky Injector

All for it santos u have my number shoot me a price
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #780
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

well for sure i can fo i for less then 1k for the rears and it will have more adjustment then anything offered out there. these will put those HKS coilovers to shame lol
Ill get it rolling and go from there.