Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #751
accoupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
accoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey everyone I have a couple questions. I'm thinking about deleting all coolant line to throttle body and egr stuff. Have any of you done this without any problems? Also what are you doing with the small coolant hose that runs off the bottom of the thermostat housing and in front of the engine?
accoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #752
imperium

imperium is an unknown quantity at this point
egr/ emissions delete is super easy and highly suggested, so much simpler and tidy, i had found a write up ill see if i can dig it back up
all you need is a small resistor for the egr solenoid or something

as for the coolant line just cap it
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #753
accoupe
Leaky Injector

Do any of you guys know for sure if the daft innovations sway bar spacers work on the s14 with the 1uz?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #754
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Thanks for the kind words badass8! Can't wait to hit the streets when you get your swap done.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 AM   #755
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
nextproject is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Well small update on mine:
ECU is on its way from Russia with the immobilizer bypassed, powdercoated parts are now ready for installation (valve covers and upper plenum) injectors have returned from cleaning/testing, adapter plate was modified (chased all the threads, procured proper bellhousing hardware, had to grind a small area where it would butt up against the slave cylinder due to the bellhousing being milled 5/8") new starter installed w/ modified bolts and clearancing of the surrounding area on the engine block to achieve the ability to use an open end wrench to remove/install starter.

Will start on fuel rail modifications (going to have both ends connected and a return coming off one end and run an aeromotive regulator).

Still waiting on the wiring instructions, have gathered the other ecu connectors for the GS400 ecu. Manifolds and mounts are on their way soon, lightweight flywheel was sent of xcessive for tooth modification as i'd read on here could be an issue and i noticed the teeth didnt have the exact same profile. they charged me 110, though i'd read on here it was only 60.

so within the week i should have the clutch/flywheel/adapter plate/trans all bolted together for the last time and then i'll just be waiting for the wiring instructions and modifying the fuel rails. looking at at least another month and a half or so before shes running around town.
nextproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #756
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextproject View Post
Well small update on mine:
ECU is on its way from Russia with the immobilizer bypassed
Sick! Now backwards engineer that shit!

Well, I'm overseas. Asked my buddy to drop my car off at the storage unit. He didn't place ramps up high enough and NAILED the oilpan on the curb and told me the engine blew. Also popped my airbags.

Hard times boys. Maybe more 1uz stuff in a year when I finish my job, maybe jump ship for LSx. I'll figure it out.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #757
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Wow thats horrible news. im sure you'll figure it out before you get back. who knows maybe even my swap will be running by then.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #758
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Quote:
Wow thats horrible news. im sure you'll figure it out before you get back. who knows maybe even my swap will be running by then.
I won't be back for a year, so you dam well better have it running!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #759
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Oh, itll be running! just working on getting ahold of the guy that has my money and all the wiring conversion data. if he takes much longer i'll be filing a paypal claim and going about the wiring alone.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #760
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn Fires, sorry to hear about the car!

I got mine bump-started so I know the engine cranks but I'm not getting fuel, no power from the pump. Had to fix my trans, it was broken so maybe after that and fuel issues it'll run!

I also noticed a big gap between the oil pan and the back of the flywheel, too much debris and water would go in there so I made an aluminum plate to cover it up.

GAP:

NO GAP:
Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #761
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright so I am kinda getting frustrated with this swap. Still do not have it in 100% working order, as far as the drivetrain.

My setup for KA Transmission:
-3sgte Flywheel
-3sgte Pressure Plate
-Sr20 ACT 6 puck clutch disc
-Collins Adapter Plate
-Collins Extended TOB (He claims they are all the same size) I have the Koyo TOB if that makes a difference.

I installed everything correctly (I believe) and upon start up the transmission would not switch gears at all. While the car was off it would shift fine, but not while running.

What I have tried:
-Figured it was the Master and Slave Clutch Cylinders. So I purchased new ones, didn't make a difference.
-Bled the clutch numerous times.
-Tried extending the Slave Cylinder Rod (Maybe pushing the TOB further) by using quarters in between the fork and slave.
-Took the transmission off and NO signs of: bent clutch fork, fork fell off of pivot ball, bent pressure plate fins...nothing.

TOB:

Pressure Plate:

Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #762
accoupe
Leaky Injector

Does your clutch disc move freely on the splines of the input shaft? I've had a clutch disc bind in me and with the wheels off the ground I started the vehicle in second gear and released the clutch. This freed everything up for me. Might be worth a shot to check it and try it.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #763
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by accoupe View Post
Does your clutch disc move freely on the splines of the input shaft? I've had a clutch disc bind in me and with the wheels off the ground I started the vehicle in second gear and released the clutch. This freed everything up for me. Might be worth a shot to check it and try it.

It did when I installed it. I didn't try starting the car off the ground, but I tried starting it in first gear and it would just lunge forward as if the clutch wasn't engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #764
nismox4xlife

nismox4xlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the TOB moving smoothly on the shaft? Brett sent me one that he made on his "jig" and it somehow managed to have been welded crooked lol. Quality.
nismox4xlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #765
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

I believe I found my problem.

I was using a Valeo 'OEM' 3sgte pressure plate basically a like-autozone product from korea that I got with the 1uz kit I purchased from a 3rd party. Apparently the pressure plate is coming in contact with the clutch disc rivet (as seen in the picture). So its making the clutch disc unable to spin when the clutch is engaged.

Zoomed in:
Old 05-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #766
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
Anyone have the driveshaft measurement for how much to cut down? ive measured it a few times but want to compare numbers. I did the brett mount and pushed the trans back a few inches. i just took out the front shaft outta the two piece.... the engine is mounted gladly.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #767
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

I haz no measurements. Good luck my son.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #768
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Wanted to update: pro drifter Rob Page has agreed to sell me his fully functional PNP harness w/ ecu. So thats it! A few more weeks and i'll take the engine out and start installing the vvti 1uz w/ CD009 trans. Fuel rail converted to return style, manifolds and mounts are en route and will be ceramic coated upon arrival, custom hoses/ac/ps lines will be sourced when the engine is in its home. then it'll get towed (bumperless and on a flatbed) across town for a stainless v-banded 2.5" y-pipe to mate up to a test pipe and current 2.5" SS exhaust. I'll upload a few engine pics later tonight! (Though still not in the engine bay, just sitting on a stand)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #769
Drifting Kalamari
Zilvia Member

Drifting Kalamari is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone have the pinout for a 1991 LS400 ECU?

I have fuel but no spark, checked ignitors, coils and such. Even replaced crank sensor.
Going to try and go through all the wiring that was done...
Also fuel pump shuts off once I crank over the motor and won't come back on until I reset the battery...
Drifting Kalamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #770
[email protected]
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
sooorad@aol.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Had a qucik question.
My motor is 95 but i believe the ecu is from a 93 will this pose a serious setback?
sooorad@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #771
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Kalamari View Post
Anyone have the pinout for a 1991 LS400 ECU?

I have fuel but no spark, checked ignitors, coils and such. Even replaced crank sensor.
Going to try and go through all the wiring that was done...
Also fuel pump shuts off once I crank over the motor and won't come back on until I reset the battery...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...GswNmc4Q0VxOUk

Pinout available.

Sounds like you wired your fuel pump relay up to start power and not ign. So, you're probably getting a jolt when you rock to start on the key, but not constant at the ign setting. Easy fix. Hard wire that betch if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Had a qucik question.
My motor is 95 but i believe the ecu is from a 93 will this pose a serious setback?
plugs into the ecu? Should be fine. 95's got a small bump in power, so that could be a problem. Use the above link to check the 95s wiring compared to the 1993. If its the same, it should be fine brother. Time to put on your thinking cap.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #772
[email protected]
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
sooorad@aol.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^^^thank you.
sooorad@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #773
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Soo i finally replaced the rear main (OEM 'yota part) and installed my adapter plate, the original flex plate spacer, lightweight modded 3sgte flywheel, spec clutch and CD009 trans.

I installed the pilot bushing adapter and then seated the pilot bushing FLUSH with the top of the adapter. Upon installation of the transmission i noticed that i couldnt get it to mate the last 1/2" or so. Upon inspection of the various parts i noticed that the pilot bushing should NOT be installed flush with the adapter. I pushed it about a half inch INTO the adapter and installation was a breeze. I verified spline engagement via the ole ziptie on the input shaft trick and i have about 80% of the splines on the clutch disc engaging the input shaft. Also verified the trans output shaft rotates with the crank when in gear and spins freely out of gear.

Im currently awaiting time (most likely next weekend) to haul it up to my work and pulling the engine out of the s14. Once that is done i'll clean the bay and relocate the battery and install the walbro pump, run fuel lines, modify the shifter hole so i can accomodate the shifter position. Hopefully i wont have to cut the "cupholder" area of the center console.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #774
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Weeell the car was vandalized in a hotel parking lot last night, knew i should've just driven the Lexus SC instead but the lot wasnt very full so i drove the S14. Now i will have to wait for insurance and the body shop to fix it before i can get it back and begin the transplant.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #775
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Weeell the car was vandalized in a hotel parking lot last night, knew i should've just driven the Lexus SC instead but the lot wasnt very full so i drove the S14. Now i will have to wait for insurance and the body shop to fix it before i can get it back and begin the transplant.
Wow that's pretty ridiculous...
Whats the damage like? Any pictures?
Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #776
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bros. Thinking about getting out of the 1UZ game and into the big turbo 1JZ game.. anybody want to buy a running setup? Z33 trans and all dat good shit.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #777
nextproject
Zilvia Member

Sorry for the late reply. Well its in the body shop now, i have pics i can post but it basically looks like someone sprayed some stuff down the side that didnt dry, but ate through the clear on the passenger quarter panel and the fender and door will require buffing though they may end up going through the paint. the RF wheel got the worst of it, so i will have to have BOTH passenger side wheels painted/pcoated (so at least the wheels on that side match, because we all know how hard silver is to match EXACTLY) and the problem after that will be finding someone to replicate the Stern graphic/decal on the spokes on those wheels.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #778
accoupe
Leaky Injector

Hey guys I'm having clutch issues. My set up is s14 1uz with z33 6 speed. I've got the complete Collins swap kit. The current kit doesn't require trimming the bell housing instead it spaces the clutch and flywheel back into the trans more.

Anyways I have braided clutch line. New OEM slave for z trans. And the master was working fine when I pulled my engine a few weeks ago. I have installed all Collins parts and my slave isn't pushing the pressure plate enough to disengage the clutch. I've been I contact with Brett but I just want to see if any of you guys have had this problem. He sent me a spacer to put on the release bearing but even with that installed its like I said it's like I'm not getting enough throw.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #779
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by accoupe View Post
Hey guys I'm having clutch issues. My set up is s14 1uz with z33 6 speed. I've got the complete Collins swap kit. The current kit doesn't require trimming the bell housing instead it spaces the clutch and flywheel back into the trans more.

Anyways I have braided clutch line. New OEM slave for z trans. And the master was working fine when I pulled my engine a few weeks ago. I have installed all Collins parts and my slave isn't pushing the pressure plate enough to disengage the clutch. I've been I contact with Brett but I just want to see if any of you guys have had this problem. He sent me a spacer to put on the release bearing but even with that installed its like I said it's like I'm not getting enough throw.
Did you get the throwout bearing adapter or a modified throwout bearing housing? Post up a few pics if you can.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #780
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Does anyone know how to wire up the CEL? Using a 1992 lexus ls400 1uz.

Finally got my car running so I tried taking it for a spin.
-First my idle is stupid high 1500+. I tried messing with the TPS but when I lower it, it sounds like its in limp mode and the rpms just rev up and down.
-Second every time I gas it, it bogs out. No power or anything. The idle was so high I just switched gears and I didn't touch the gas.

I've researched a little and seems mostly like a MAF (AFM) problem. However I didn't get the chance to unplug the MAF.