Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #781
burgessn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
burgessn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is there anybody that is good at this in the willlow springs area that dont mind lending a hand i can turn a wrench no problem but when it comes to wiring im a complete dumb ass lol i just want to remove as much shit as i can and clean everything up car is a daily/weekend worrior. let me know if anybody would like to help ill buy the beers!!!
burgessn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #782
jorge1190
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
jorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to alljorge1190 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Finishing up the Chassis harness this week hopefully. Removed all unnecessary wires and relays, fusebox is now in the center conlose after a little trimming.
jorge1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #783
boost addict
Zilvia Addict

boost addict is making a name for him/her selfboost addict is making a name for him/her self

Fuse boxes are in the glove box, still have to clean it up a bit
boost addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #784
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
question......

i recently did my own harness from scratch, car runs perfect blah blah blah... now i need to wire up the alternator signal. white/red i belive for the ka24de, i used 30amp relays for my wiring from my understanding its wired like so

alternator to any light bulb your heart desires 12 volts then fused 7.5 amp? then to the + ignition relay? or to the swithc that activates the igition relay? thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #785
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
The thick white wire is the alternator's voltage sensing wire, that needs to be hooked up to ignition-switched or battery power (most of the time I just loop this up to the alternator post when doing chassis/engine harnesses and I know the wire to the alt won't short on anything).

The white/red thin wire will go to ground if the alternator fails... what this means is that if you put a light between switched +12V and that white/red wire, the light will illuminate if the alternator fails.

Totally useless, IMO.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #786
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Thanks Jordan I did read that. So it's fine if I just leave it unhooked ? How I wired it was I connected the white wire with the other positive wire then fused with 80 , straight to battery.,, just for some reason I thought I really needed the signal wire, I thought if I didn't it would over charge or something , but then I realized they have internal voltage regulators.... Also i used the stock wire size I used for the positive wire 10 gauge... Or should I just use something thicker? Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #787
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
10ga is way overkill unless you're running it down the block. Later models used 20ga yellow wires for the same thing.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #788
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

It's probably 1.5 feet away lol
Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #789
Beaupro44

Trader Rating: (0)
Beaupro44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 help

Alright guys need some insight i have a 1992 s13 with a 1998 kadet i am looking to clean up the engine bay and under the driver side fender the fender mainly because three wires got wore when my 17s hit it the big white one the purple and i wanna say a blue one. my power windows wont work and i think this might be the issue but once again i have no idea i am still sure it doesnt hurt to fix them. I know if the tires rub it now when i put my 18s on they would rub hard. any insight to do the fender and the right way to do it. any help or even pm would be much help.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #790
ATandP

ATandP is an unknown quantity at this point
510 SR swap that I did a MS swap, E85, 18g, LS2 coils and some other stuff. sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures

This was actually the finished product of a custom "wire tuck" by a well known shop

And almost done in this pic.

Engine shot, cam cover is getting refinished, and engine bay touched up.

ATandP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #791
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
My "tuck" / fuse box relocation...

Before:

After:

Behind the center console

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #792
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
cant wait to start my harness!
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #793
dawagarage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
s14unimog what is that transparent, blue, computer accessory looking thing in your last photo?

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #794
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What gauge wire are people using for sr coilpacks?
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #795
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
...because i think 14 is too thick. Was thinking more like 16? How about injector power? 16-18 work?
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #796
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4_96 View Post
What gauge wire are people using for sr coilpacks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4_96 View Post
...because i think 14 is too thick. Was thinking more like 16? How about injector power? 16-18 work?
For something with that small of a load, 16ga is fine for power and igniter signal (which are long) and 18ga for chassis ground (shorter).

Old 05-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #797
Pink Slut
Zilvia Member

Pink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud ofPink Slut has much to be proud of
This our company demo-car, (no s-body i know) Toyota Corolla e10, 4age 20v blacktop with turbo.

everything works, it gets driven (and hard haha!) currently doing the inside wiring and rollcage
(yes its on bags)
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #798
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
My "tuck" / fuse box relocation...

i like that fusebox a lot, but where did you relocate all of your relays?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #799
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
That rolla is clean as shit. I had a silvertop on my rolla before...
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #800
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
retina searing color combo, though.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #801
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright, so I can build milspec harnesses, and my buddy has built even better ones and is coming out from mass to help me in a couple weeks. I need to get my supplies in order to build this. Due to the questionable nature of my oem wiring, I would like to go through and replace absolutely every bit of wiring. Obviously I would be removing any circuits I didnt need, but keeping and reworking the ones I did. I dont have the harness pulled yet, so I am just beginning brainstorming on the project. I also work for a company that designs and builds aircraft components, so milspec connectors and wiring should be able to be purchased on the cheaper end of the spectrum. right now i havnt decided whether or not to go with reworked breakers, fuses, and relays, or just stick with the oem boxes.

questions:
1. anyone fiddled with the s chassis harness and have any advice?

2. what sorta total length in wiring should i expect. 1000ft of milspec wiring is pretty cheap, like $240 from pegasus.

3. any idea how many chassis connectors are in the car? I know its absurd but if i can buy in bulk instead of individually, that would help.

4. lastly, what range of wiring size is used on the oem harness? whats the largest and smallest size gauge i would expect, not counting battery (that Ill be running big)

Like i've said, I am just working on the idea right now. If given tons of time, i would be a little more relaxed on it, but my friend is traveling from mass to help for a couple weeks and he said he would like to see the car running by the end of the stay or he would feel like a failure (ha!).

thanks.
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #802
shhyguuy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
shhyguuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
Alright, so I can build milspec harnesses, and my buddy has built even better ones and is coming out from mass to help me in a couple weeks. I need to get my supplies in order to build this. Due to the questionable nature of my oem wiring, I would like to go through and replace absolutely every bit of wiring. Obviously I would be removing any circuits I didnt need, but keeping and reworking the ones I did. I dont have the harness pulled yet, so I am just beginning brainstorming on the project. I also work for a company that designs and builds aircraft components, so milspec connectors and wiring should be able to be purchased on the cheaper end of the spectrum. right now i havnt decided whether or not to go with reworked breakers, fuses, and relays, or just stick with the oem boxes.

questions:
1. anyone fiddled with the s chassis harness and have any advice?

2. what sorta total length in wiring should i expect. 1000ft of milspec wiring is pretty cheap, like $240 from pegasus.

3. any idea how many chassis connectors are in the car? I know its absurd but if i can buy in bulk instead of individually, that would help.

4. lastly, what range of wiring size is used on the oem harness? whats the largest and smallest size gauge i would expect, not counting battery (that Ill be running big)

Like i've said, I am just working on the idea right now. If given tons of time, i would be a little more relaxed on it, but my friend is traveling from mass to help for a couple weeks and he said he would like to see the car running by the end of the stay or he would feel like a failure (ha!).

thanks.

I'm not sure about the connector count, but you could check out chase bays' harness for some ideas
shhyguuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #803
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhyguuy View Post
I'm not sure about the connector count, but you could check out chase bays' harness for some ideas
Good point for at least counting plugs for the engine. I mean, i know i can place sub harness connectors to split up the parts of the harness wherever i want.

I am just looking for a starting point, and you are right, looking at pics would be a good one.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #804
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Kind of an interesting question, since that's what we've been doing for years and years.

1000ft is WAY more than you need, and Pegasus is expensive. You'll be needing a bunch of 20ga, a bunch of 16ga, and depending on engine/fans/fuel pump some 12ga/10ga. 4ga+ for battery, 4ga for alt. Gets pricey.

If you're serious and would like to do it yourself, I'd be more than happy to schedule in some consulting time with you. We do Skype in 3hr blocks, where you'll have my complete attention to draw diagrams/trade files/etc, and that should be plenty to answer all your questions and write your 'requirements document'. After that, anyone can build the harness to your exact spec - this is the same service I provide to race teams that would like to build their own looms.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #805
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
wire tuck eh?
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #806
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
wire tuck eh?
it's a motor siting in an engine bay dipshit, wrong thread. injectors have nothing plugged into them and there is a hose missing from the lower right corner of the engine.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #807
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
New chassis and engine harness started...

huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #808
dawagarage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
what soldering iron(s) is/are everybody working with?

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #809
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Kind of an interesting question, since that's what we've been doing for years and years.

1000ft is WAY more than you need, and Pegasus is expensive. You'll be needing a bunch of 20ga, a bunch of 16ga, and depending on engine/fans/fuel pump some 12ga/10ga. 4ga+ for battery, 4ga for alt. Gets pricey.

If you're serious and would like to do it yourself, I'd be more than happy to schedule in some consulting time with you. We do Skype in 3hr blocks, where you'll have my complete attention to draw diagrams/trade files/etc, and that should be plenty to answer all your questions and write your 'requirements document'. After that, anyone can build the harness to your exact spec - this is the same service I provide to race teams that would like to build their own looms.
Thank you very much, that would be a great help. Ill probably call some time in the next couple of weeks to talk details.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #810
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
it's a motor siting in an engine bay dipshit, wrong thread. injectors have nothing plugged into them and there is a hose missing from the lower right corner of the engine.
that's pretty much how it is though it is wiretucked so it does belong here

http://youtu.be/FV5cCYIO1rc
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote