Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #8431
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^ Please continue with your gated shifter idea. That would be way cool.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #8432
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I tried about 4 or 5 years ago, no way to do it with ka/sr shifter. With an r154, cd009 etc. it might be possible. Instead I did a 3/8 stainless rod and chrome ball without the gate, and it still looks cool but not the same. I've always loved the interior on 512TR/ f348/355 cars and wanted to get that feel. Tan leather buckets, carpet, and door inserts would be great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
I hate you. I was going to start that next week, now that I finally got my engine and trans in place. At least my Ferrari inspired seat covers will be unique. I don't care if anyone copies me on that, because it'll cost them and arm and a leg to have someone do it.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #8433
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got a t56 with a short shifter. I drove my friend's camaro, and it seems like it may be doable with the t56. But we shall see in the next few weeks if everything else that I'm working on goes smoothly.

As for the shift knob, I want to cast 2 scorpions in polyester resin in a position that looks like their fighting. I've practiced a bit, and finally got my mixture right where it doesn't fracture when curing. So hopefully I'll find some good scorpions on my brother's land this summer.
Here's a spider I did.

And a dung beetle, but I still haven't gotten around to polishing this one or the orb spider.

Orb spider as I was making it.

The guy that makes dragon ball shift knobs actually inspired me to start casting... Hopefully my scorpions come out as clear as his dragon ball shift knobs.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #8434
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
i only seen doluck tension guauge once and jay had it

turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #8435
mhubeny180sx
BANNED

mhubeny180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
^ wow that spider creeps me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Bottom line, come up with your own unique/custom one off parts and it will actually be one off and original.
That's what I do.
I like your ideas, but imo they are a bit ostentatious for a mass produced entry level "sports car". I don't quite want to Caitlyn Jenner my car, its a 180sx not a bentley super sport. I know my place.

There is a certain theme I have going with many modifications to interior, and I ain't talking drill holes in dash for gauges, swap shift boot n tie a bandana through the harness guide. I'm talking heavy manipulation, artwork, creativity, flow. Ultimately = Execution.
mhubeny180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #8436
Jibbberish
Leaky Injector

Jibbberish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhubeny180sx View Post
I don't quite want to Caitlyn Jenner my car, its a 180sx not a bentley super sport. I know my place.
Laughed too hard at this lol.
Jibbberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #8437
YOSHIKOUKI
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
YOSHIKOUKI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to YOSHIKOUKI
Quote:
^ wow that spider creeps me out.
Lmfaooooooooooooo omfg dude Jesus christ mr killjoy....if ur n a relationship he's definitely cheating on u #facts

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
YOSHIKOUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #8438
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Quote:
I'm talking heavy manipulation, artwork, creativity, flow. Ultimately = Execution.

someone install a pic of ben stiller and make this a sig.....
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #8439
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Let's see this "super unique" interior you're "fabricating"
Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #8440
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
yea except you can only get them from japan lol, they are made on order, and are more expensive.
isnt cusco only made in japan...and if they are out of stock then they are made to order....and ive priced them, they are about the same price as a cusco.

at least thats how it was when I was needing a cage for my R32 SKYLINE
Old 01-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #8441
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If everybody on Zilvia had a fucking Koguchi replica I wouldn't even give a shit. That would be rad as fuck.

Miracle bars better have the X, the top and bottom cross bars, and the side vertical bars to be cool to me. Just the X is welfare spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #8442
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
its hard to be original when the car has been around since 1989
Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #8443
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
snorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
The guy that makes dragon ball shift knobs actually inspired me to start casting... Hopefully my scorpions come out as clear as his dragon ball shift knobs.
Dang it man! I was considering to do the same thing with the gnarly spider I found on my engine. It looks good what did you use as a mold for it?
snorkelcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #8444
SileightyMania
Grand Bastard

Trader Rating: (4)
SileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond reputeSileightyMania has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMB0 View Post
its hard to be original when the car has been around since 1989
but forums create a herd mentality.

Hi Yimbo!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #8445
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Quote:
I hate you. I was going to start that next week, now that I finally got my engine and trans in place. At least my Ferrari inspired seat covers will be unique. I don't care if anyone copies me on that, because it'll cost them and arm and a leg to have someone do it.

Inspiration:

Jeep seat I tried similar on. I think this was 48 pieces of fabric in total, all backed with 1/2" foam. Suede and italian leather ftw

Still need to finish one insert for my friend's camaro before I start on my seats.

Thinking about adding some angles to mine to look similar to this pattern...

All I know is these covers need to go. These where the first covers I did. Debating trying to sell the covers for like $50 or just throwing them away. Probably just throw them away lol
I want to see more of your upholstery and a how to or tips. Looks killer!
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #8446
OffLimits

OffLimits is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey zilvians I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but it's interior so it's close. Anyways I recently became the owner of a 97' 240sx and was wondering what are the parts needed to replace the stock steering wheel for a Nardi Deep 350 Mahogany. I want the horn and turn canceling to still remain active (if possible) and also what alarm system would you guys recommend
OffLimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #8447
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelcoupe View Post
Dang it man! I was considering to do the same thing with the gnarly spider I found on my engine. It looks good what did you use as a mold for it?
At first I used hollowed out light bulbs as molds, but the glass would hold in the heat when curing and it would cause them to fracture (or craze).

Then I switched to these 2 piece silicone molds from ebay that were actually advertised as ice cube molds (see the pic in my previous post, that blue thing the spider is in) The main problem with those is they are rough and now require me to turn my bench grinder into a spinning lathe so I can sand and polish them smooth (see the rough dung beetle above). The proper way to do it would be to make a mold out of a silicone mold kit you can buy from hobby lobby, but I never had the confidence to make my own 2 piece mold. And you really need a 2 piece mold to set the arthropod in a good position, like I did using tooth picks in the pic above.

People say that acrylic resin is stronger than polyester resin, but I've thrown one of my shift knobs down the street and it still didn't break. Plus I like the weight of the polyester cast shift knobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial Drift View Post
I want to see more of your upholstery and a how to or tips. Looks killer!
Thanks, man. Upholstery is surprisingly easy to do. You can make a pattern using your own seat covers. Every car that I've done had little notches in the OEM seat covers. So if you don't care to change the pattern, you just take your seat cover off, and as you're seam ripping it you will see notches. Like the pic below. It's a good idea to number all the pieces and take a pic to reference, or you can seam rip your passenger seat (because it's usually in better condition than the driver seat) and simply flip the pieces over when tracing out a pattern for the other seat, since most driver seats are just a mirror image of the passenger seat. After you have it seam ripped, pin it down flat to your new material and trace each piece. Making sure to mark where all the notches are, because you will be using those notches to make sure you're lined up.

You can see the notches near my pinky and thumb. Those are what I'm talking about. See how in the bottom pic, I simply lined the notches up, then sewed the pieces together.

After you trace and cut out your pattern from the new material. You'll want to back it with foam. I usually use a 1/4" cloth backed foam. You want the cloth backed foam so the thread doesn't tear through the foam when you pull it tight. Backing the material with foam makes it stronger, makes it a little tighter so you don't get wrinkles and makes it a little more comfortable. I use 3m 90 Hi strength spray adhesive for everything from foam backing to headliners. I use 3m 90 because it is extremely strong AND it is pretty thick, so unless you completely saturate it, it won't bleed through suede and stuff like a lot of other glues. I've used tons of different spray adhesives, including other 3m products, and nothing compares.
This is what it looks like.

Follow the directions on the can. IE spray both pieces, let the glue tack up (about 30-90 seconds depending on temp) then firmly press them together.
Now, let the glue cure for at least 12 hours before trying to sew, or you will gunk up your needle, and have to clean it off after each pass.

As for a sewing machine, I use a Tacsew T111-155 which is basically a chinese knockoff of a JUKE machine. The only downside that I've found with this machine is that about once every 2 years, I need to pay a guy $85 to come out and re-calibrate it because it will start to skip stiches... Which can be a nightmare if you're doing a diamond pattern or any kind of visible stitching. You could probably learn how to re-calibrate it if you took a sewing class at vo-tech, but I learned from my friend, and he didn't know how to calibrate a machine either.

That's pretty much the basics. Buy your fabric from a trim supply or upholstery supply store... If you have some vinyl from a trim supply store right next to some vinyl from JoAnnes fabrics, you can feel the difference in quality immediately. I try to talk people into getting marine quality vinyl because it is more fade resistant than auto vinyl, but sometimes marine quality doesn't have the pattern you're looking for... Auto vinyl is not bad by any means, but I like my stuff to last.... and it's usually only $3-$4 more a yard.

Here's some infiniti seats I did last winter for a guy. I tried to tell him to go black on the headrests, because diamonds would look distorted due to the curves in the headrests, but he insisted on red with no diamonds.

These are the first diamonds I did, for my nephew's wife's BMW. It is really easy to fuck up diamonds... As you can see they are slightly crooked... But I did it for free, so she was still happy.

One more pic... Here's a bench seat I did... I had to make my own pattern here, which was a little tough, but it came out ok, I think.

Anyways, here is a link to my FB upholstery album... I don't have all my projects in there, but I've got a few. Including my first attempt at making a stitched dash cover for my s14... I botched it pretty bad, but I will continue to practice with it until I get it down. Don't mind some of the pics... I also have some pics of my DIY hydrographics and stuff in there lol.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d33653194e

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask... I'm willing to help a DIY'er in anyway I can.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #8448
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffLimits View Post
Hey zilvians I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but it's interior so it's close. Anyways I recently became the owner of a 97' 240sx and was wondering what are the parts needed to replace the stock steering wheel for a Nardi Deep 350 Mahogany. I want the horn and turn canceling to still remain active (if possible) and also what alarm system would you guys recommend
Here's a write up. It is an s13, but it's basically the same for your s14. Disconnect the battery before you start.

You can also google "240sx how to change steering wheel" and there will be a couple vids that pop up. I didn't link the vids because I didn't feel like sitting through them.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how...40sx-vert.html
Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #8449
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Bro wtf I hate spiders.... I damn near threw my phone across the room...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #8450
DriftingBrandon
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DriftingBrandon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 208s14.5 View Post
I actually really like this. The brown interior actually looks really nice. Props.

Last edited by DriftingBrandon; 01-03-2019 at 01:23 AM..
DriftingBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #8451
NOTsliden
Leaky Injector

NOTsliden is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ what he said. I'm digging the brown.
NOTsliden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #8452
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTsliden View Post
^^^ what he said. I'm digging the brown.

Yea my thoughts exactly, i hate brown but this is dope!
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #8453
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sileightymania View Post
but forums create a herd mentality.

Hi yimbo!
hi benson!!!!

That brown interior is cool. Way to go!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #8454
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Does anyone know how to achieve that interior? Like is there a finish that could be used to lather the stock leather? I want to do mine black
DJTTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #8455
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Does anyone know how to achieve that interior? Like is there a finish that could be used to lather the stock leather? I want to do mine black
Brown interior is an OEM option. He didn't dye it or anything. There is also a blue interior, too. Check out back in this thread were broadfield talks about interior pieces, he has a spray paint the look near OEM
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #8456
NOTsliden
Leaky Injector

NOTsliden is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersmurf View Post
Brown interior is an OEM option. He didn't dye it or anything. There is also a blue interior, too. Check out back in this thread were broadfield talks about interior pieces, he has a spray paint the look near OEM
the paint is SEM chip gaurd. I think the satin black is the closest to stock 240sx interior. part number 39813
NOTsliden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #8457
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Sup mhuboner

Last edited by Reece; 01-29-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #8458
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Nice dude...
Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #8459
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightKouki View Post
A few small changes coming soon
hey what gloves are those, they look really nice

its crazy how all of you whiny ass kids are so busy complaining that you cant enjoy the interiors on the last few pages being on point...
Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #8460
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Drilled and tapped one of the shift knobs today. Sanded it with 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000. Tomorrow I'll polish it.