Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #61
ZAKU
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
ZAKU is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you cant afford their product then thats your problem.. get a better job or chose a different hobby.
This is stupid and you're an ass.

Please explain to me why I should have purchased a set of $2300 Hipermax III coils instead of my $1500 Fortune autos with Swift springs. Or how about paying $143 for a TERRIBLE HKS superflow instead of my Perrin for $52.

Or why I should replace my T28 with a HKS GT2835 for $2030 versus a Garrett GT2871R for $1190?

Regardless of their quality, HKS's parts are ridiculously overpriced and their inability as a business to adapt to a changing market has sealed their fate in North America.

Last edited by ZAKU; 04-28-2011 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: weird font issues
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #62
chituntang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
chituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKU View Post

Please explain to me why I should have purchased a set of $2300 Hipermax III coils instead of my $1500 Fortune autos with Swift springs. Or how about paying $143 for a TERRIBLE HKS superflow instead of my Perrin for $52.

Or why I should replace my T28 with a HKS GT2835 for $2030 versus a Garrett GT2871R for $1190?

Regardless of their quality, HKS's parts are ridiculously overpriced and their inability as a business to adapt to a changing market has sealed their fate in North America.

How great is Fortune auto coilovers? And how much better is it equipped with Swift springs compare to the HKS coilovers?

The terrible HKS superflow has velocity stack built in. Your Perrin is a piece of foam held by a plastic skeleton. Also, please tell me how terrible HKS superflow is. You based your conclusion on the test results online? That's a big fail because I have not seen anybody fuck up their engine because of using a HKS filter.

HKS buys turbos from Garrett and modify them to their spec. So it is superior than a Garrett turbo. Therefore, it makes sense to be more expensive than a original Garrett turbo.

You buy products base on price, and bang for the buck. Companies like HKS are successful not because of people buying a catback exhaust, a foam filter. They are successful because they spend a lot of resources in research and development, and people used to have the ego to modify a car to reach the next level, like modify a Silvia to out pace a GTR. Now a days people buy a powerful car stock (EVOs and STIs) and just put a catback, intake, and maybe a boost controller on it to make it faster. Bolt on mods only will not make HKS grow. Whereas in the late 80s and most of the 90s where people would bring a car to a shop and consult with tech to have a complete upgrade package.

I am not hating on the companies that you used to compare to HKS, but all you have been talking about is they are pricier than their counter parts. You have not talk about how they compare to each other in terms of performance gain and quality, and how are the counter parts actually better. Superior products are always a lot more expensive, it is a fact.

I do, however, believe that HKS stuff are overpriced too.
chituntang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #63
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
i love the two extremes...

HKS makes quality products.

most cheaper companies make SHIT quality products.

the market is flooded with SHIT quality right now because too many people are buying the junk. in the end. the people who care about the car. and put the time in, will always choose a better brand. experience knowledge and wisdom, which most people lack, is key to building a car properly.

listen to your elders make smart decisions not decisions based on a lack of intellect or keep buying junk and have junk parts on your car.

if you want to buy the junk parts cuz its "cheaper" then you might as well replace all the body panels on your car with cardboard. because its lighter... dont forget to use duct tape instead of the bolts.. you can probably buy a hyundai or kia from the 90's thats "cheaper" than your nissan also..
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #64
R_G
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time to buy all the hks parts i need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #65
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

I think pretty recently one of the magazines did a test comparing those fortune auto coilovers to tein coilovers, and in the end found the teins to be much more consistent in testing. Believe it or not work does actually go into the components you purchase when you buy them from a quality company. Anybody can copy shit, but if you don't notice it when you're driving on a daily basis then I guess you won't care either way. There is a reason HKS has one of the fastest lapping evos in the world, and I'm sure it isn't because they got lucky, I don't currently have anything from HKS but I have bought their products in the past for other cars, and they are all quality components. Its funny that most of the people in here say good riddance to a company that has paved the way in terms of automotive modification, just because they aren't constantly working on new parts for a group of broke dicks that wouldn't even buy them doesn't mean they don't continue to make great parts for new vehicles that come out. Without these companies like Apex'I, Greddy, HKS, Tomei, JUN, etc. There wouldn't be anything for the knockoff companies to copy, and you'd have no upgrades for your cars, so before you go chastising a company for not making everything as cheap as you'd like, think of all the work that is involved in getting that same part to you. R&D isn't cheap, and if you are actually talking about MSRP pricing for any items, then you are a fool and an idiot for not realizing you can get those products for alot cheaper than you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #66
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
just bought a catback exhaust from ebay. for $50 shipped.

did i contribute
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #67
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

This is exactly why HKS is pulling sales from the US.

They crunched the numbers and realized what a shitty market the US is. Im sure Japan sales are still very strong.

Looks like it's time to pick up some discounted clearance HKS components
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #68
tinys s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
tinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowntinys s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
didnt this happen to greddy?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #69
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
is it not fair to say that in Japan, and the japanese market, knock off parts aren't as prevalent as the American market?

It's so much easier for a domestic company to crush out cheap competition than it is for them do it on a foreign market. They simply don't give a fuck about the US market enough to lower their prices and deal with the shit majority of you guys buy.

Put it this way, they aren't hurting themselves really. Prices will probably stay the same, minus shipping expenses, and the only people who will be getting the parts now are the same as those who got them before. They aren't off the map, they simply retreated from an area where their loss was greater than their profit.

The only people hurting now is you guys, less products to circulate since everyone is going to hold on to shit and now you have to resort to either paying higher prices in the end, or continue buying your shitty knock offs.

You brought it upon yourselves
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #70
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
are they going to have a garage sell?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #71
ZAKU
Leaky Injector

ZAKU is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
who arent capable of building a damn thing if their life depended on it.
What do you mean? HKS sells off-the-shelf kits and Turbos described simply as "HKS GT2835 - 380/400/410 PS Output" I would at least look for compressor maps when "building" a new turbo setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chituntang View Post
Also, please tell me how terrible HKS superflow is. You based your conclusion on the test results online?
I currently own one. Even after replacing the filter mesh I am not happy with how poorly it filters. Maybe it's because I daily the car but I find dirt particles inside the filter all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0rbladez909 View Post
I think pretty recently one of the magazines did a test comparing those fortune auto coilovers to tein coilovers, and in the end found the teins to be much more consistent in testing.
"Consistent in testing" means nothing without providing more info like actual dyno graphs. Besides, Tein ≠ HKS so that's not even relevant. I know my Fortune Auto's are entry level coilovers but what are the HKS's? Too expensive to be entry level but not good enough for a true race car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0rbladez909 View Post
before you go chastising a company for not making everything as cheap as you'd like, think of all the work that is involved in getting that same part to you. R&D isn't cheap,
If they put so much work into R&D, why can't I find HKS turbo compressor maps?

I can admit that I was trying to hard to be clever with my first post, and I understand that HKS has a very impressive history, but none of their past achievements should elevate them to some sort of godly plateau where they are immune from criticism.

Last edited by ZAKU; 04-29-2011 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: grammar
ZAKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #72
Lukasss
Nissanaholic!

Lukasss is an unknown quantity at this point
Knock offs will always be around, so they will always be a problem to companies like HKS.
That being said, and them KNOWING they lose business to these lesser companies should make them a hell of a lot more competitive.
BUT there is only so much they can do.

If i own a donut shop, and another one opens next door with the same thing with less expensive products, i may still have the better donut, but they will still be cheaper, thus they will ( im sure ) get more business and take mine.

In the end it all comes down to the person, if you buy knock offs, then so be it.
If you buy legit, good for you.

but if its not in your budget to have a bunch of legit things then you shouldnt be criticized. Like the quote on the first page, the american dollar sucks, and a lot of people work hard for the money they make. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford these things. Buying something cheaper makes sense when you dont have the extra money to spend, and you still love your hobby.
Lukasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #73
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
^
have u ever read the about "john jacob astor" ... Almost like your donut shop example....

In the end it's good for other companies too they gain even more market share...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #74
Prime
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Prime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
HKS buys turbos from Garrett and modify them to their spec. So it is superior than a Garrett turbo. Therefore, it makes sense to be more expensive than a original Garrett turbo.
I usually don't nitpick, but what? Seriously. There are very few turbos that I would consider in the league of Garrett. An HKS "modified" Garrett is not on the list. IHI, Turbonetics, Precision Turbo, and in some instances Borg Warner. But to think a company that for all intents and purposes rewrote the book on the capabilities of a small-frame turbocharger is inferior to their own product rebranded by a third party?

Really?
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #75
Lukasss
Nissanaholic!

Lukasss is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post

In the end it's good for other companies too they gain even more market share...
Not always. Especially when its such a small niche company.
Lukasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #76
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
this just means HKS supporter will have to pay more to grey market and also wait for it.
it is a smart move by them to go back.
when you can buy a product in Japan at the store and the price is less
then dealer cost here, the company need to review their operation.
HKS do make great products just not ideal for this economy and they need
to focus on cars that's popular here not there.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #77
chituntang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
chituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I usually don't nitpick, but what? Seriously. There are very few turbos that I would consider in the league of Garrett. An HKS "modified" Garrett is not on the list. IHI, Turbonetics, Precision Turbo, and in some instances Borg Warner. But to think a company that for all intents and purposes rewrote the book on the capabilities of a small-frame turbocharger is inferior to their own product rebranded by a third party?

Really?
Let's go back to the root - Why we modify our cars? To extract more performance out of it, right?

HKS modify Garrett's turbo to get more performance out of it. I do not see anything wrong with it.

Did we reinvented how a car works? No. HKS did not reinvented how a turbo works either. They just improve it.

If you are right, Garrett will never let HKS modify and rebrand their turbos.
chituntang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #78
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post
this just means HKS supporter will have to pay more to grey market and also wait for it.
it is a smart move by them to go back.
when you can buy a product in Japan at the store and the price is less
then dealer cost here, the company need to review their operation.
HKS do make great products just not ideal for this economy and they need
to focus on cars that's popular here not there.
Or could limit the supply and raise prices!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #79

6330 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
If GM and Chrysler can do it, why not HKS or Greddy? BAILOUT TIME
Yeah c'mon Obama!
HKS needs you!
6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #80
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I currently own one. Even after replacing the filter mesh I am not happy with how poorly it filters. Maybe it's because I daily the car but I find dirt particles inside the filter all the time.

"Consistent in testing" means nothing without providing more info like actual dyno graphs. Besides, Tein ≠ HKS so that's not even relevant. I know my Fortune Auto's are entry level coilovers but what are the HKS's? Too expensive to be entry level but not good enough for a true race car.

If they put so much work into R&D, why can't I find HKS turbo compressor maps?

I can admit that I was trying to hard to be clever with my first post, and I understand that HKS has a very impressive history, but none of their past achievements should elevate them to some sort of godly plateau where they are immune from criticism.
Consistent in testing was the word i chose to use, not the words of the magazine, but i recall that they did have dyno graphs and performed several different tests, i will have to go through my bathroom mag stash lol so it may take a while for me to get the article. As far as the HKS compressor maps, why not email HKS directly, information for every part out there isn't going to be readily available so sometimes you may have to do research on your own part. It may even be as simple as calling HKS and giving them your email address.

Quote:
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #81
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
What does HKS manufacture exactly? They sell electronics, coilovers, intercoolers, pipings, turbos, valve cover dress up stuff, exhausts, BOVs, oil coolers, stickers and all sorts of other random stuff, but how much of those things do they manufacture?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #82
dreadedfist

dreadedfist is an unknown quantity at this point
Sad news for sure. Especially when you consider how long HKS has been supporting the Import aftermarket in the USA. On the other hand... Maybe they should have started outsourcing to China in order to offer some kind of "HKS Budget Line" products. How any company can still justify $500.00+ for mild steel exhaust piping is beyond me.

On one hand, shitty news. On the other hand, another example of a company failing to adapt to changing market conditions. I sometimes wonder if anyone at these companies ever studied business or if they're just sort of winging it, going by some of the decisions they make.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #83
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremk2 View Post
So the concensus is basically, "What a shame, However I never bought anything hks or supported them in anyway." Everyone is going to continue buying knock-off shit either way. Cheaper things are always going to be more popular. Especially with the attitude of most of my generation being "Dude I got this sick 240 and I'm gonna street drift it everyday the cheapest way possible." I don't find it all too tragic that they're pulling out of the U.S Market. If you want the HKS part, You'll find a place to buy it.
We need to stop saying &ldquo;knock off&rdquo;. 99% of the time, people are not buying knock-offs when they buy &ldquo;cheaper&rdquo; parts. No one on the Muscle Car or Pro-Touring boards calls my Jeggs Electric Fuel Pump a &ldquo;knock off&rdquo; because it&rsquo;s not an Edelbrock or Areomotive unit. It&rsquo;s simply an inexpensive, cost effective solution that while it may not be as tunable or offer the level of precision or reliability I would want in competitive racing, it gets the job done and lets me drive my Camaro. This is exactly want many here and in other import communities want... something that gets the job done.

I carry a brown leather &ldquo;Fossil&rdquo; Wallet. I paid $15 for it, does anyone feel I&rsquo;m being an asshole buy wielding around a &ldquo;Gucci knock off&rdquo;? It doesn&rsquo;t even look like or pretend to be a Gucci, other than it&rsquo;s a wallet that costs 1/30 of what a Gucci goes for. ISIS coilovers are not &ldquo;HKS Knock Offs&rdquo; just because they work on the same principle of all the other coilovers out there, they are simply inexpensive coilovers. The reason they are popular is they get 80% of the job done at fraction of the price. Car gets lower, wheels clear them, and they are not sloppy like the blown 20 year old dampers being junked. Obviously those in professional racing are going to want more tune-ability, better reliability and more precision&hellip; however those are the 1%&rsquo;ers. Most preaching about this crap are more of the &ldquo;posers&rdquo;, they see their parts list as a fashion statement, &ldquo;I&rsquo;m an HKS and Works guy, not a knock off or Tomei and Volks guy&rdquo;. They get a high off posting their list of name brand parts.

A &ldquo;knock off&rdquo; is where a product is blatantly trying to pretend to be a different manufactures product. Taiwan made Bride Seats and Chinese made HKS BOVs are extremely common. These products have nothing to do with Bride or HKS, but are dressed up to completely imitate them and fool the consumer, or at least the consumer&rsquo;s friends. Products like this should be hated and not purchased. However, please understand the difference from a &ldquo;fake&rdquo; HKS SSQV and a brand-less eBay BOV or an ISIS Coilover.

I think ISIS has it going on in the sense that they are developing a &ldquo;Jeggs/Summit Racing&rdquo; Brand. These are low cost &ldquo;get it done&rdquo; products that are made overseas, however they have the backing of an American company with customer service and warranty support. You know you are getting a &ldquo;legit&rdquo; product that is going to work when you buy ISIS, its not top-tier, but you are also not gambling on some eBay POS that when it breaks or doesn&rsquo;t fit you have no one to fall back too.

HKS, Greddy, Tomei and anyone else that wants to compete and appeal to the masses needs to being offering lower-level product line ups. Edelbrock has various series of Carbs and Intakes. Inexpensive Performer series Carbs & Intakes can be had for a $100-200 and will get the job done for Joe-Average wanting to &ldquo;upgrade&rdquo; his 305 Chevy. However if you want to spend the coin, they have Avenger series Carbs, Victor Manifolds, Airgaps so forth, all at higher price points, but also all offering more quality and performance. If you really want to be a company that &ldquo;only offers the best&rdquo;, then expect to only sells to a select few. Craftsmen tools is another great example of this, having lost a lot of ground to places like Harbor Freight and Wal-Chinese-slave labor-Mart, Craftsmen began selling lower quality tools under their home-garden brand (Eco was it?) that come in green packages at Sears and Ace Hardware. You can still order and buy the premium, made in the USA professional series tools, but Craftsman understands that only a select group is going to pay the premium.

People that want quality will always look for it and pay for it. They are the minority. Then there are people that just want to get it done, they are the majority. Lastly are the ones that will pay as little as possible and always get screwed and have to buy it again&hellip; they are common.

Just like some people buy only OEM, others only 3rd Party New and then some go for Remanufacture only
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #84
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
. Companies like HKS are successful not because of people buying a catback exhaust, a foam filter. They are successful because they spend a lot of resources in research and development, and people used to have the ego to modify a car to reach the next level, like modify a Silvia to out pace a GTR. me drive my Camaro. This is exactly want many here and in other import communities want... something that gets the job done.
Except HKS is failing, not succeeding. People still build Evos to race GTRs and revamp 60's classics to whoop ass on their modern counter parts.

It's just Evo owners are going to superior companies like AMS who offer better services for less. As stated, what exactly is HKS developing and making these days?

I'd sooner buy a Forced Performance modified turbo the a HKS one. The HKS S/C for the 350Z was a fuvking joke, more expensive then a Vortech or Stillen, crap customer support and dismal performance. 7k for 70hp, ohhh ahhhh.

Also what R&D did thr really do? Are Hypermaxes for an Evo that much different the the ones for a Silvia? Or did they only change the brackets?

HKS can't even begin to compete with Koni, Moltron, Penski or Bilstine when it comes to suspension.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #85
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Damn, why so many negative comments towards HKS? I've never had any issues with HKS Products, infact I would always prefer to buy HKS over any other brand out there.

I Just recently installed a HKS GT-RS turbo (to replace my blown Garrett GT28RS which didn't last too long...) wow, what a difference in performance and how efficient that SOB is! I can see why they price their turbos that high, Bloody worth it! 13psi and almost 330whp tuned with HKS V-Pro. ** Helps to have a Legit HKS Dealer/tuner here in Calgary.

Some of you think I might be biased but I'll always support their products.

If the hobby is too exepensive; well you know the answer.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #86
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
You are seeing so many negative comments because a majority of people in this hobby these days don't give a shit about the real deal stuff. They weren't around back in the day when parts were actually difficult to get.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #87
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You are seeing so many negative comments because a majority of people in this hobby these days don't give a shit about the real deal stuff. They weren't around back in the day when parts were actually difficult to get.

Shots fired! Pow pow pow!

*I agree BTW*
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #88
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Except HKS is failing, not succeeding. People still build Evos to race GTRs and revamp 60's classics to whoop ass on their modern counter parts.

It's just Evo owners are going to superior companies like AMS who offer better services for less. As stated, what exactly is HKS developing and making these days?

I'd sooner buy a Forced Performance modified turbo the a HKS one. The HKS S/C for the 350Z was a fuvking joke, more expensive then a Vortech or Stillen, crap customer support and dismal performance. 7k for 70hp, ohhh ahhhh.

Also what R&D did thr really do? Are Hypermaxes for an Evo that much different the the ones for a Silvia? Or did they only change the brackets?

HKS can't even begin to compete with Koni, Moltron, Penski or Bilstine when it comes to suspension.
These same people that wouldn't pay the price for an HKS product, certainly wouldn't foot the bill for an AMS product either, if you believe they would you are sorely mistaken. AMS parts are just as high as many of their japanese competitors so I don't even see how you are saying they are so much better on pricing and manufacture(Don't get me wrong I like AMS's products as well.)

You can't compare HKS's coilovers to products that are almost triple the cost of HKS, and obviously a company that ONLY produces suspension components is going to be superior, tell me the prices on any Moton, Penske, or Bilstein suspension setups that you are trying to compare and I know there will be a significant price difference.

The thing is HKS makes a vast amount of parts for vast amounts of cars and has been doing it for almost 40 years, they don't just specialize in one car or one brand they make parts for EVERYTHING that is japanese, even fucking hybrids. Some parts are better performers than competition, some aren't, you aren't going to be the best at everything. Like I said, if it weren't for companies like HKS, that have been around modifying imports for so long and producing parts long before godspeed/megan/isis were even thought of, there more than likely wouldn't even be an import performance scene in America. Without that scene many of the japanese performance vehicles that we have today probably would have never come to our shores and you'd still be stuck dreaming about GTR's and EVO's through Gran Turismo 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcobra View Post
Damn, why so many negative comments towards HKS?
Because Zilvia has become overwhelmed with an infestation of cheap fucks with no taste.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #89
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Shots fired! Pow pow pow!

*I agree BTW*
i think corbics as well as other points are being missed. its not giving a shit about the real deal as it is getting what you pay for and bang for the buck.

example...deatschwerks sr injectors (400.00), hks sr injectors (700.00). both do the same thing AND deatschwerks SPECIALIZES in injectors. vice hks who mass produces everything. i would lean that deatschwerks product and experience would be better then the hks one. not too mention iirc the hks one are just rebadged denso's. some people would rather pay the extra $300 for cool points or as you guys say "supporting the inovator or og brand blah blah blah". but why? their is a superior product or at the very least equally as good more readily availible version for substantially cheaper...
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #90
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have HKS hipermax coils I paid a pretty penny for, I've ridden on stance and these are better in ever aspect.
dont get me wrong, for the price stances are AMAZING
but this go low as hell. very stiff at the full setting (and WITH low spring rates)
now that ive got it dialed in i can honestly say (just by butt feel) that these are well worth the 2k they retail for.
revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote