Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #61
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yeah, old school work equip01s would look sexy

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #62
fbiphil
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
fbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cool project- I can't wait to see it on the road...
AND OUT OF MY FRICKIN' GARAGE!!!

And what's the deal with being hung over at work? I don't care if it's your last day tomorrow- as long as I'm your boss today, I expect 100% out of you!

Nice thread you've got started, little brother! I'll have to give you some of the back story on this little car on here.

-Phil
The Goon's Big Brother
fbiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #63
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
yeah, old school work equip01s would look sexy
anything old would look cool on there... and you could definitely get away with 14's if you wanted. hoshinos or wats or whatever. so many options...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #64
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
WagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WagDatto
Hung over? I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!

Alright, a little "end of winter break" get together and I wasn't driving, I'm a responsible adult-ish figure! And 100% is my middle name. It'll be out of the garage soon, I promise. Then it's time to make it Mom and Dad's problem!

http://garagezoku.blogspot.com
WagDatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #65
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

WagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfection
Double post, I'll fill this with pictures.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #66
fbiphil
Zilvia Member

fbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud offbiphil has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtuned_andy View Post
Pretty soon there isn't gonna be any stock 510s around, everyone feels the need to swap them and turn them into drifters

Nice wagon...I guess. Rare to see them around.
They're a "dime" a dozen around here- three or four beaters on Sac Craigslist at any time, all for under $1000 or so... I guess we've got it good here in NorCal!

And honestly, having owned a few VERY stock 510 wagons, they stink when they're stock! Squishy suspensions, gutless motors... what's the point? If Sean wants to drive a boring car, he has his Galant!

I told Sean I'd give him as much of a back story as I could, so here goes:

I picked this wagon up a few years ago from a guy named Toby in Rancho Cordova, who had owned it for only a few months. He has a really clean 240z, and wanted another piece of Datsun history. Long story short, he ended up in over his head and bailed out on the project.
Prior to him owning it, the car was owned by a guy named Victor, who had picked it up from some tweeker in the sticks. This tweek was the one responsible for cutting the hole in the hood (for a 300zx hood scoop that supposedly flew off at 140+ MPH- yeah right!), as well as blowing up what was likely the original engine.
The car was originally an automatic, and when I bought it from Toby it had already been relieved of the engine and transmission. A buddy of mine came out to trailer it to my house on a Wednesday night, and while we were loading it he bet me I couldn't drive it to work the following Monday.
Being the bettin' man I am, I accepted his wager (lunch at my choice of any of the fine fast food eateries near our shop!) and got to work.
I've read what it takes to convert a 240 from auto to stick, and I assure you that everything is easier in a 510! Basically, swap the pedal assembly, mount a clutch master cylinder, plumb it to the slave, and drill some new holes for the trans. crossmember, and you're golden!
I pirated the L18 and 4 speed trans. from my '71 Datsun pickup, and I drove that poor car to work on Monday! Granted, it had no lights, bumpers, hood, or exhaust, but it made it!
Anyway, the motor was tired when it was in the truck, but two more years of (ab)use and it was finally time to retire it. I hear it's in a 2 door 510 now, so best of luck to the new owner!

I'll leave it up to Sean to write the next chapter in this car's book, but now he (and you, loyal readers) know the history. Sorry for the novel, but if I don't put it down somewhere I'll forget it eventually!

-Phil
Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #67
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Shhh, we're on the Nissan forums now, don't talk about my Rally Spec Galant!!

Leave it to my older brother to one-up me. My only concern now is that
my sweet 280zx hood scoop will not clear the motor. Fortunately, that would give me an excuse to show off the engine bay I spent so much time on.

Also, after talking with Phil more about the fuel cell, I've come to the conclusion that shortening the stock sending unit is the best choice to bring the size and weight of it down. Settling on a cell with the dimensions of 23"Lx17"Wx8.5"H puts me with a "full" capacity of 14.4 gallons of petrol. The shorter tank will also tuck up a little better behind the rear bumper, so I won't have a shiny box for all the world to see.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #68
Bubbles
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbiphil View Post
They're a "dime" a dozen around here- three or four beaters on Sac Craigslist at any time, all for under $1000 or so... I guess we've got it good here in NorCal!

California in general.

In the midwest if you can find a 240 that's not rusted to hell you can consider yourself lucky.

You can forget rare cars altogether.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #69
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I know my uncle has been looking for a mint stock 510 wagon (lives in LA area) because he is a classic car restorer and hasn't found anything, he is always bitching at me that every one he sees is modified and is pretty miffed about it hah
Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #70
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Well alright! Got home a few minutes ago from working on the Datto. Even though I was going to take measurements for the fuel cell, Phil suggested that we use my fresh, new 'spot weld drill bit' and remove the stock valance so we could put on the new one with the "Spook" front spoiler that matches the BRE flared front fenders you guys have been seeing in the photos so far.

Once I drilled out all the spot welds on the valance, I decided to primer and paint the front of the core support black to clean it up a bit. We hung the valance using a bolt and some zip ties, and laid the fenders on there for good measure (and good photos!), and even screwed on the restored turn signals and grille. I have to take the grille and the headlight finishers and have them stripped down to stainless steel. It'll be cheaper than rechroming, and if I don't like the way it looks bare, I can paint them from there.

I know I promised no more cell phone pictures, but I didn't have my camera on me, I swear!!

BEFORE:

NOW:

Now that I no longer work at FBI, I'll have some free time in the next few weeks to get some more pictures and work done, and hopefully this week, I'll be able to take all the measurements for the fuel cell and get it ordered up!

I still need to order a radiator, have my driveshaft modified, and get the leafsprings debowed. After I have those parts in, wiring and plumbing need to be finished. Then I can drive her like she was meant to be driven!!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #71
Aeroscraper326
Zilvia Addict

Aeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfection
Awesome Awesome stuff man. I can't wait to see her finished!
Aeroscraper326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #72
jdm styles

jdm styles will become famous soon enoughjdm styles will become famous soon enoughjdm styles will become famous soon enoughjdm styles will become famous soon enoughjdm styles will become famous soon enough
stoked to see the end results too
jdm styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #73
DOOK
Post Whore!

DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
man, I swear to god I'm in love... I'd drive a retro daily any day if I could find a good chassis here in the east and could swap in a low mile KA

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #74
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
man, I swear to god I'm in love... I'd drive a retro daily any day if I could find a good chassis here in the east and could swap in a low mile KA
Worry about finding a good chassis! Swapping in a KA is easy as reversing the crossmember and wiring. The only time I've put a motor in anything is when my brother and I did his KA 2-door, and when we tried hiding a motor inside of a International Travelall, but then never mounting, wiring or finishing the thing... (BTW if anybody wants a BA Travelall, let me know, my brother wants it gone FO' CHEEP!!).

But yeah, it's fun and easy, good luck if you're gonna do it! Take pictures!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #75
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Alright, I got some measurements taken for the 'cell, and I'll be stoked when that thing is done! I have to drop off the schematics with the metal hook-up, and see what he thinks as far as a price goes, so I've got my fingers crossed that he's a GOOD hook-up!

My younger brother and I (yes, younger!) did some work today! We cleaned up and repainted the headlight brackets and remounted them on the core support. Turned out nice, if I do say so myself. I also squeezed the wiring harness through to the interior, so I'll be able to bribe Phil into helping me wire it up this weekend, maybe! A trip to Pick-N-Pull is DEFINITELY coming soon, too. I need a throttle cable, possibly some Mercedes fog lights, and a few other things, plus we have to see if there are any new wrecked 240's out there.

I leave you with a few small pictures:

EVIL!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #76
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
are you going to keep the paint scheme like the scheme on the front panels?
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #77
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
looking good.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #78
acheron
Zilvia Member

acheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enoughacheron will become famous soon enough
thumbs up, awesome looking project... cant wait to see it done and see the jaws hit the curb
acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #79
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
are you going to keep the paint scheme on the thats on the front panels?

No, the paint scheme on the fenders is styled after the Brock Racing Enterprise (BRE) like this 510:

Unfortunately, there was never a BRE wagon, only 2-doors from the 510s, so I'm not gonna be a TOTAL 'goon' and copy the BRE style. I do like the red/white two-tone, though, and I got carried away last night in MS Paint... I was just going to lay out a two-tone, but then I decided to cover every pixel in the original picture... I fell asleep doing the wheels, at midnight last night, so they're kinda sloppy, but you get the idea. What do you think?

Last edited by WagDatto; 01-24-2008 at 09:20 AM..
Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #80
ROUGE180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
ROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ROUGE180 Send a message via Yahoo to ROUGE180
lolz.. ride so hot the wheels melted haha.. keep it goin!!
ROUGE180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #81
jyon9689
Leaky Injector

jyon9689 is making a name for him/her selfjyon9689 is making a name for him/her selfjyon9689 is making a name for him/her self
nice haha, I can see the two-tone lookin real fly..
jyon9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #82
fbiphil
Zilvia Member

WOW- mad skills on the Paint, bro!
Here's another quickie for you:
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #83
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Your photoshop skills > mine. Way to show me up. I dig it, though! Can't wait to work on the limo this weekend, PEACE!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #84
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
firelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Know what would be ridiculously hot? (in my humble opinion)
White flaked out roof, hood, and hatch, and red sides from the windows down.
Like the BRE but inverted and spiced up.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #85
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
dam man that looks sweet keep it up!!

Hopefully you wont need tons of wiring in the engine bay, it looks sweet without alot of wiring.
HyperTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #86
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
dam man that looks sweet keep it up!!

Hopefully you wont need tons of wiring in the engine bay, it looks sweet without alot of wiring.
actually there's hardly any wiring visible! I'll take a pic next time I see it.

As for paint, I'm not a huge fan of flake and I think keeping it a simple two tone will do. There's a body line under the windows a few inches that wraps the whole car, so that's the most logical split. Paint is still a ways off!!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #87
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
American Racing Silverstones. You can get them in 15x8 and 15x10 with custom backspacing (3.5-7.25 on the 15x10s).

Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #88
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
wow dude that really is badass, cant wait to see the rest come together
allntrlundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #89
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
This is a dope build. never been a huge fan of the wagons for more than DD. But its looking pretty good with that spook on there right now.

Mercedes fog light? I always liked the yellow BMW lights for it too. (?)

I am most interested to see how you handle the rear flares. Us 510 guys know thats always been the problem with the wagons and 4 doors. It would be great if you figured out a way around it.

i think the old school rims will look way better. all these SR20 510's pushing 17 &18 are rediculous. Libre's?? And if you slam it, 15's are plenty big for a dime. but your brother probably knows that.

How long till you turbo?? I just want to see how you cram it all in there? I sold my last 2 door dime years ago, but know in the future i will be purchasing another. And the SR takes alot more fabrication than the KA does. But a Turbo KA would be nice.

Are you going to have those struts sleeved so you can run coil overs?? Cause you might slam the pumpkin on the ground taking off with that much power if that rear ends not stiff!!! lol

excellent build!!!!!

and you can go with the BRE design. I think it looks good! dont worry about the 510 crouds opinion. there a bunch of angry and judgmental old men.
my homies project. I helped drop the engine in, do the suspention and some other stuff. Its getting its rollcage right now. Its for Time Attack.

ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #90
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatik View Post
American Racing Silverstones. You can get them in 15x8 and 15x10 with custom backspacing (3.5-7.25 on the 15x10s).

Those are TITS!! I really like them, I'll take a closer look at them as soon as I'm done on Zilvia! I think 15's are going to be where I stick, at this point. I'm not looking to completely slam it, I want some maneuverability and suspension travel, so I think it's the most realistic road to travel...