Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #61
WanganRunner
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
WanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond reputeWanganRunner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When people are pulling lights and bumpers and all this shit off their cars, are you trailering the car to the paint shop or driving it?

Do you let Maaco tape up your car or do you do it?

WanganRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #62
Shitty_S14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Shitty_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Silent View Post
What'd you pay, and what did they do? I'm in chula and looking for paint for my car, just need some basic body work and my driver side corner pulled (which I'll do myself if it costs too much) Did you pull the lights or do anything special yourself?

i paid for both my fenders to get fixed (bondo cracking) and my front bumper fixed... i took the headlights, tails, and front bumper off in maaco parking lot./
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #63
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
When people are pulling lights and bumpers and all this shit off their cars, are you trailering the car to the paint shop or driving it?

Do you let Maaco tape up your car or do you do it?
lol i drove to the paint shop sans, body kit, corner lights, and rear center garnish. they will tape up everything for you if that's what u desire. painting a kit OFF the car is ideal too, so i had my dad follow me with a van full of body kit and spoiler goodness
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #64
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
People that hate macco are the ones that cheaped out. Honnestly, Macco is better established then most bodyshops. As long as you don't get the cheap job, you'll be fine, or better off.

don't hate macco because your parents got the ambassador special on the Chrysler LaBaron back in the 90's and now its starting to flake.

noobies.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #65
noname7198
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
noname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to beholdnoname7198 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's all been said here but:
1. Ask to see examples of recent paint jobs they've done using the same type of paint you're choosing.
2. prep the car yourself or make sure you discuss prep with them and if you're still not confident they will do a decent prep ask to check the car after prep, before paint. that's what I did when I let them paint one of my cars and it was a good thing because there were several things they missed that I made sure were taken care of before paint.
3. Don't use their cheapest option. Spend a little extra and it'll make a big difference.
4. Don't expect perfection. There will be overspray, runs, orange peel and dry spots. It will look good from a few feet away, but will in no way be a show car finish.

I had them paint my old Z. I spent $800 on their "top of the line" single stage with integrated clear. It looked good and I was happy enough with it. I sold the car so I can't say how well it held up long term though.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #66
s14sport
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
s14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I've had a few cars painted at maaco and known many other people that had their cars painted there too. I will only use it on a daily driver/ track car that i dont care about much. Plus I will only let them spray it. I do bodywork myself or get it done elsewhere....

I also never let them get a chance to spray things i dont want them to.
go with a set of steel wheels, take off your exhaust, headlights, corners, taillights...they will spray EVERYTHING!!!!

take your bumpers and skirts off...let them do it OFF the car...

JG's RB Silvia 2009
s14sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #67
nathanong87
Post Whore!

also EVERY maaco is different. i've seen the "same" priced paint option at different locations and the quality of work is different. it's not like mcdonalds where a filet o fish is the same everywhere. u need to ask around and look at some of the cars that are in the lots (if there are any) to see some of the finishes to expect.

i didn't even go to maaco in the end of the day...

edit: i'd only consider maaco's that i've seen their work, or were found through friend's recommendation . just some food for thought!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #68
s14sport
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
s14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura abouts14sport has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
also EVERY maaco is different. i've seen the "same" priced paint option at different locations and the quality of work is different. it's not like mcdonalds where a filet o fish is the same everywhere. u need to ask around and look at some of the cars that are in the lots (if there are any) to see some of the finishes to expect.

i didn't even go to maaco in the end of the day...
very true....most of maaco's workers dont give a rats ass about your paintjob. every once in a while you find one that does and you get a decent paintjob. I found a good guy and I give him a $50 tip to take care of me when he sprays one of my cars...and it comes out OK

JG's RB Silvia 2009
s14sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #69
daftphunk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
daftphunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Do they do your door jams and shit? It's very tempting at that low price but I might just fork over the $$ to my buddy that does AMAZING paint jobs. It's just they are 3-4x more than Maaco.
daftphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #70
nathanong87
Post Whore!

door jams/bays/trunk boots would be extra.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #71
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Ok, so i got quoted from maaco today at the Escondido location.

they told me $280 + tax if they sand it down or $250 + tax if i sand down the car myself.

for the people that painted their cars there, should i have them sand it down or just do it myself? I was planning to do 280grit, 600grit, then wet sand 800 and 1000. or is their a better process than this?

I told them that i wanted the nissan oem paint, color code LP2, and the price is still the same. to top if off, they will paint my aero off the car with no extra charge. I plan on doing this when my semester is over, i believe it's december 9th for me.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #72
nathanong87
Post Whore!

i'd actually let them sand it for that price, but i'd make sure that u could be part of the taping process or tape it up there. they will paint everything if u dont....
Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #73
Crazyirish

Crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
they told me $280 + tax if they sand it down or $250 + tax if i sand down the car myself.
$30 doesn't cover sandpaper much less the labor. I would do it myself. Your stated plan for sanding is likely far above and beyond what they are planning on doing.
Crazyirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #74
nismobenzo
Zilvia Junkie

nismobenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
GOOD thread here for the low budget daily/track guys who dont wana spend a week prepping, painting, and buffing
nismobenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #75
rsibley22
Leaky Injector

rsibley22 is an unknown quantity at this point
It most definitely varies depending on the shop my dad happens to own the one out in riverside and they do pretty good work along with the Maaco in seattle
basically you get what you pay for
some cars that Maaco in Riverside did

base coat and clear coat^^^

single stage^^^

single stage^^^
Old 11-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #76
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoza View Post
Damn that came out really well. What kind of prep/post work was done? No way the paint can just lay down like that... Do you have a link to a DIY you followed?

yeah it went like this....

step 1. sand whole car
step 2. mask whole car
step 3. buy rustoleum paint (its the one with clear in it)
step 4. buy a ultra fine roller
step 5. paint a few times.
step 6. sand if you want it to look really good.

i did mine with two coats. looks good from far away. like 10 ft. even up close it just looks like a orange peel paint job...but everyone says the moar coats...the more the paint sits evenly.

total maybe 45 dollars. honestly...i'd rather pay 400 to get it painted...but i'm the "i'll do it myself if i can" so i gave it a try.

i wouldn't have put forth the weekend to paint it if it weren't for this picture of this car.

Google Image Result for http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

but i guess it's even more popular with vw's.

honestly...i did it cause in case i crash at track...i can go home...put a little fiberglass love in...and take a roller to it.....and not have to worry about matching the paint and shit.

and white hides flaws ;D

2 coats...no after paint sanding....i'm happy with it. for now. i'll get a real paint job later....
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #77
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I did all the body work, sanding etc. Roof was not done by maaco or the kit but the car was maaco. They shot it twice because they messed it up the first time, still needs to be wet sanded and buffed. Shitty camera
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #78
JonathanPrem
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
JonathanPrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have question about sanding. I have Black s14 but just want to Re-spray it black again with clear. What grit should i use and finish at?
JonathanPrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #79
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
i'd actually let them sand it for that price, but i'd make sure that u could be part of the taping process or tape it up there. they will paint everything if u dont....
If I let them sand it, I was gonna mask the car before they start. I also was gonna take off all my lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyirish View Post
$30 doesn't cover sandpaper much less the labor. I would do it myself. Your stated plan for sanding is likely far above and beyond whatd they are planning on doing.
I'll give them a call tomorrow or Friday to double check if they will charge extra of they sand it down. My way of sanding the car too much? Or is there a better way to do it?

Once I find out about the sanding part, I'll most likely start sanding my car asap. From what I researched awhile back, just for painting, I can just sand the car and not worry about primer. You only primer if you have bondo. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #80
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
fckillerbee, fyi roll on paint doesn't allow other forms of paint to stick well when applied to metal. You'll have to strip almost all of the paint when you take it in for a new paint job, or it'll kinda act as if there was oil on the car where you paint, itll blotch up.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #81
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I think I am just going to have one of my friends paint it.

I might even have my brother paint it. He painted this car, with about two hours of prep, a mediocre spray gun and paint from paintforcars.com and it was his first paint job thought, and this is the day after the car was painted, and without any buffying or wetsanding.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #82
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
fckillerbee, fyi roll on paint doesn't allow other forms of paint to stick well when applied to metal. You'll have to strip almost all of the paint when you take it in for a new paint job, or it'll kinda act as if there was oil on the car where you paint, itll blotch up.
this is true.... my wingless trunk had a botched roll job on it, and the paint shop gave me grief about bringing that in...
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #83
lysticalz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
lysticalz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just got my car back from maaco from attelboro yesterday. came out damn good. been going through them for years and not a single bad thing to say so far. like nate said. it depends where you go. tipping doesnt hurt

i prepped the car myself, sanded, bondo'd, primed, and masked the whole sha-bang.

this is a single stage job.

cant wait to throw my wheels on.
lysticalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #84
nathanong87
Post Whore!

dannnnngggg i'd drive up to rhode island for that job. looks bangin'
Old 11-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #85
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
So nate, who painted your car?
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #86
burninskulls0911
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
burninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
heres my kouki that got painted at macco, it was the cheapest job they offered

and here is my miata which was also the cheapest job they offer

i love macco!
and i plan to get my silvia painted there as well
burninskulls0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #87
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
burninskulls0911, which Maaco did you go to? Also, how long did it take them to paint your kouki?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #88
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysticalz View Post
just got my car back from maaco from attelboro yesterday. came out damn good. been going through them for years and not a single bad thing to say so far. like nate said. it depends where you go. tipping doesnt hurt

i prepped the car myself, sanded, bondo'd, primed, and masked the whole sha-bang.

this is a single stage job.

cant wait to throw my wheels on.
Hmmm that aint half bad
I'm thinking of getting the JDM aero for my car, taking it to maaco and having them paint it the OEM color, my car's paint is damn near mint so I imagine it will work out okay
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #89
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Come on Adam, you'll drop the money for a genuine Silvia but you won't even take it to get a decent paintjob? Shame on you!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #90
burninskulls0911
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
burninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
burninskulls0911, which Maaco did you go to? Also, how long did it take them to paint your kouki?
its a new macco on OBT down by uti
its about a mile south of uti on the east side of the road

and it was about a week
i had them fix some dents and stuff

the miata took about 3-4 days i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgRWDgoodness! View Post
Come on Adam, you'll drop the money for a genuine Silvia but you won't even take it to get a decent paintjob? Shame on you!
haha i see where you're coming from but when they do such a good job for so little its hard not to lol
burninskulls0911 is offline   Reply With Quote