Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #871
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
So, you're saying you can remove the gauges from the cups. Mount them on a board and reprogram their sweep?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #872
drivnovrdaedge
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
drivnovrdaedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Yeah, but you can't overlap aftermarket gauges like that. The body is almost the same diameter of the bezel. So basically the bezel of the front gauge wouldn't even hide the bezel of the gauge that's mounted behind it. You have to keep in mind that these OEM gauge setups that you posted pics of are simply a facade on the front. There's no actual "gauge" in there... as in there is no body to the gauge. It's just faces of gauges essentially mounted to a circuit board.

i understand that, i was just referring to the rim of the guages going over the imaginary box panel of which the other guages sit in and what their dimensions are contained in

i DO NOT want mine stacked up like that either cause it would protrude out too far and would NOT look nice either.

i simply wanted to show that i understand that the gauges being 5in and not 3 3/8 (like the others examples i have seen) that it would over lap over the panel into the bezel edges of the gauge cluster. the pictures show the example of what i am expecting with ONLY the 1 middle single gauges rim protruding outward.

the already massed produced panel that uses 3 3/8 would need to be heavily modified to fit the 5in guages and would ultimately have gaps around the edges of the 5in gauges would not look good either and look like a hack job. it would need to be molded into the panel bring it back to where i started with needing fabrication.

i could also buy that massed produced panel if it would be a good starting point for you and decrease the amount of time and effort to have a starting molding point ... in return maybe reducing the price... .. LOL
drivnovrdaedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #873
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
Toby I remember you mentioning somewhere on this forum about mounting gauges in a s14 in place of the din pocket under the radio. What is the best way to mount them, I am also thinking about using dark plexiglass in front of the gauges but am worried about the aem uego and tru-boost gauge color LEDs not being able to show through especially during the day?
52mm gauges do not fit in that location without molding the area closed and then either flushing them in or surface mounting them. I just finished up this exact piece and Defi 52mm's(which have one of the smallest bezel diameters) BARELY fit. I haven't taken high res shots yet with my good camera, but here's an iPhone pic for you to check out how tight the fit is. There is only an 1/8" of material or less left over between the gauge and radio and gauge and ash tray opening:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #874
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Would having such little material compromise the work?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #875
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
Would having such little material compromise the work?
I hope not I'm hoping my customers are careful when installing the pieces I make back into place. Once in place they essentially just sit there... so there should never be an issue. Everything is plastic bonded with the highest quality 2-part plastic epoxy. But if you go trying to heavily bend and warp the piece I make, it may get a small stress crack in one of the areas bonded.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #876
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
After you bond it and sand it how do you go back and "Texture" the surface like how it was before? This sounds like something I can definitely try.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #877
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
After you bond it and sand it how do you go back and "Texture" the surface like how it was before? This sounds like something I can definitely try.
I use some form of texture coating.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #878
ferrariowner123
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ferrariowner123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey.

What do you recommend for someone who wants to go the the AN route for the hard lines for their brakes and fuel lines?
I saw in your thread of your LS3 S13, you were using some kind of flare AN fittings, could you give more information on them or a link to them?

Thanks

-Kyle
ferrariowner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #879
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Sup dude, sorry to bother you again, but I have been checking your blog and I don't see the write up for the 350Z pedal upgrade.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #880
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konster View Post
Sup dude, sorry to bother you again, but I have been checking your blog and I don't see the write up for the 350Z pedal upgrade.
No, I just haven't had time to do it yet... been far too busy to worry about it. I had planned to do it when I told you I was going to do it, then I had a ton of custom work show up that I am attending to.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #881
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Ah, I see. No prob, keep up the good work.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #882
e5s4y
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
e5s4y is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
hey broadfield
what shifter are you running with your tr6060 (iirc, thats what you have, right?)?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #883
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

*Ask Broadfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5s4y View Post
hey broadfield
what shifter are you running with your tr6060 (iirc, thats what you have, right?)?
I have the MGW... and yes, it's a TR6060.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #884
e5s4y
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
e5s4y is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
I have the MGW... and yes, it's a TR6060.
Awesome. I couldnt find any real info on someone running this one in an s-chassis. mine came with the stock camero shifter assembly and i didnt know if i could use it or not. Probably just gonna get this one now to make it simple

just to be positive, its this one?

Generation 5 Camaro Short Throw Shifter
Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #885
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5s4y View Post
Awesome. I couldnt find any real info on someone running this one in an s-chassis. mine came with the stock camero shifter assembly and i didnt know if i could use it or not. Probably just gonna get this one now to make it simple

just to be positive, its this one?

Generation 5 Camaro Short Throw Shifter
Yep, that's the one. Hopefully I'll be picking up a transmission jack soon so I can start fabricating a trans mount.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #886
Ikera

Trader Rating: (0)
Ikera is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Broadfield,
I'm not sure if this has been address before,
my question is how do dash integrated tablets compare to a high end head units
pros and cons

Last edited by Ikera; 10-23-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Ikera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #887
mrnismor14

mrnismor14 is an unknown quantity at this point
HAT setup

Looking to do a nice sound system in my s13 240sx. Looking at the Clarus line, 6.5 all around with either a 12 or a 15 inch sub. not sure which tweets to get. i listen to 90% rap 90% of the time. not looking to bust windows or be heard from miles away, but would like a nice decently hard hitting system. Can you quote me a full system price from you? i want it to be as complete as possible, i.e. front and rear componenets, tweeters, sub, amps, xover's, the whole nine down to wiring. thx for your time!
mrnismor14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #888
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikera View Post
Hey Broadfield,
I'm not sure if this has been address before,
my question is how do dash integrated tablets compare to a high end head units
pros and cons
I'm just going to list some of the cons of the tablet to make this go quick:
  • Does not have a tuner. You could use an app, but you would need WiFi... which isn't going to happen when you are driving unless you have 4G etc... which obviously will cost money.
  • Does not have Blue Tooth control over your phone. You cannot pair your phone with the tablet and accept/place hands free phone calls from the tablet.
  • Does not have XM/Sirius control... again, an app would do this but we are at the same issue with WiFi.
  • Does not have an easy volume control from the tablet. Some tablets even lock out the volume control when it's docked.... defaulting to a fixed full volume. So you are forced to either not have the dock cable plugged in, which means it won't charge while in the vehicle... which is stupid and not convenient. Or you would need to buy a preamp(the best option for many reasons) but then that again will cost more money.
  • It won't have as good of sound quality output typically as a head unit. This is very true for Android because they typically have garbage audio output. If you want anywhere close to audiophile quality then you would need to use an outboard DAC... again, more expense. However, Apple devices have phenomenal audio quality. You can check this for reference: iPhone 5 Audio Quality Measurements
  • Typically much more difficult to install because they need to be molded-in to look nice. Sure, you can just hack the dash and call it a day... but that would be ghetto. A double DIN will always look good with a simple $15 dash kit if the OEM radio opening is not already a double DIN opening.
  • Doesn't just turn on when you turn the key on. A standard head unit just starts playing automatically when you turn the key on... you don't have to touch a single button. Just get in and drive.

These are just some of the things. My customers always think it's going to be sooo awesome for me to put a tablet in their car. Then realize the little things like having to start the music back up, every time when they get in the car, kinda of sucks.

Here is an iPad Mini I just installed into my salesman's truck... he will eventually swap it out for the black model so it looks a little better in the dash. It is quickly removable by pushing on the right side... it has spring loaded release that kicks the right side of the iPad up and then you can grab it and slide it out.

Here is the folder where I have some build pics of how it all started and ended:

Greg Loercher's Chevy Colorado iPad Mini Mount album | Broadfield | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #889
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnismor14 View Post
Looking to do a nice sound system in my s13 240sx. Looking at the Clarus line, 6.5 all around with either a 12 or a 15 inch sub. not sure which tweets to get. i listen to 90% rap 90% of the time. not looking to bust windows or be heard from miles away, but would like a nice decently hard hitting system. Can you quote me a full system price from you? i want it to be as complete as possible, i.e. front and rear componenets, tweeters, sub, amps, xover's, the whole nine down to wiring. thx for your time!
Awesome! If you want to PM me your email we can continue there. I'll need your email in order to send you a quote from my invoicing software anyway.

Thanks,

Toby

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #890
Ikera

Ikera is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I'm just going to list some of the cons of the tablet to make this go quick:
  • Does not have a tuner. You could use an app, but you would need WiFi... which isn't going to happen when you are driving unless you have 4G etc... which obviously will cost money.
  • Does not have Blue Tooth control over your phone. You cannot pair your phone with the tablet and accept/place hands free phone calls from the tablet.
  • Does not have XM/Sirius control... again, an app would do this but we are at the same issue with WiFi.
  • Does not have an easy volume control from the tablet. Some tablets even lock out the volume control when it's docked.... defaulting to a fixed full volume. So you are forced to either not have the dock cable plugged in, which means it won't charge while in the vehicle... which is stupid and not convenient. Or you would need to buy a preamp(the best option for many reasons) but then that again will cost more money.
  • It won't have as good of sound quality output typically as a head unit. This is very true for Android because they typically have garbage audio output. If you want anywhere close to audiophile quality then you would need to use an outboard DAC... again, more expense. However, Apple devices have phenomenal audio quality. You can check this for reference: iPhone 5 Audio Quality Measurements
  • Typically much more difficult to install because they need to be molded-in to look nice. Sure, you can just hack the dash and call it a day... but that would be ghetto. A double DIN will always look good with a simple $15 dash kit if the OEM radio opening is not already a double DIN opening.
  • Doesn't just turn on when you turn the key on. A standard head unit just starts playing automatically when you turn the key on... you don't have to touch a single button. Just get in and drive.

These are just some of the things. My customers always think it's going to be sooo awesome for me to put a tablet in their car. Then realize the little things like having to start the music back up, every time when they get in the car, kinda of sucks.
Thanks for reply

if these are the major cons, it doesn't even look that bad
also some Androids have build in FM Receivers and there are $20 USB FM Receiver dongles available as well. Not sure about XM Radio tho
yes it sucks not to have physical buttons, but you could buy a android keyboard which are small and cheap

The things I wanted when I chose to go Android were
- GPS NAVI
- 7" High Resolution Screen
- Capacitive 5 point touch screen
- Multi-Core CPU with >2GB RAM
- Multitasking Capabilities
- ability to play any video format files
- Customizable home screen (widgets)
- Cost under $200

and here is some other cool stuff you can do
- Pair with a OBD II scanner via BlueTooth and display all the cool data you can pull from it (ELM 327 OBD II BlueTooth scanners are $10 on eBay)
- 3D Accelerometer Gauge

Last edited by Ikera; 10-23-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Ikera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #891
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikera View Post
Thanks for reply

if these are the major cons, it doesn't even look that bad
also some Androids have build in FM Receivers and there are $20 USB FM Receiver dongles available as well. Not sure about XM Radio tho
yes it sucks not to have physical buttons, but you could buy a android keyboard which are small and cheap

The things I wanted when I chose to go Android were
- GPS NAVI
- 7" High Resolution Screen
- Capacitive 5 point touch screen
- Multi-Core CPU with >2GB RAM
- Multitasking Capabilities
- ability to play any video format files
- Customizable home screen (widgets)
- Cost under $200

and here is some other cool stuff you can do
- Pair with a OBD II scanner via BlueTooth and display all the cool data you can pull from it (ELM 327 OBD II BlueTooth scanners are $10 on eBay)
- 3D Accelerometer Gauge
You don't need to tell me the pros and cons man, I have been doing this for a living for 21 years

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #892
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey Broadfield, so I'm looking into getting some gauges for my car (I actually just bought a center vent panel from you). I was wondering what you would recommend for a tight budget. For now I'm only looking for vac/boost and temp.
Obviously the most important thing is that they have to be accurate and reliable. But I have to admit, I'd really like to have LEDs and an opening and closing ceremony. What would you say is the best option for something like that for cheap? I'm a full time student, so I need to pinch as many pennies as I can!
Thanks man!
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #893
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have a few questions for Mr Broadfield:
1. What is the best way to fix hairline cracks, cracks in general on a dashboard.
2. I want to repaint my entire dashboard since i dont like the light blue, bad idea? I know the SEM texture coat is pretty close to the stock grey look.
3. How are you securing the gauges after installing them in that s14 radio bezel? Do you have a shot from the back? Talking about this. Also would like to know what glue you are using to adhere the plastic pieces youcut out to the s14 radio bezel. Thank you, and if these questions have been answered in previous pages my apologies.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #894
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Has no one stepped up to challenge the app radio? I see they have the 3rd gen now.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #895
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowvia View Post
Hey Broadfield, so I'm looking into getting some gauges for my car (I actually just bought a center vent panel from you). I was wondering what you would recommend for a tight budget. For now I'm only looking for vac/boost and temp.
Obviously the most important thing is that they have to be accurate and reliable. But I have to admit, I'd really like to have LEDs and an opening and closing ceremony. What would you say is the best option for something like that for cheap? I'm a full time student, so I need to pinch as many pennies as I can!
Thanks man!
I would do the Speedhut, Speedhut series. They are very affordable and fully customizable... also very high quality! Please let me know if you need a quote on them. You can build them on their website if you want to see how you can customize them to your liking.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #896
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Has no one stepped up to challenge the app radio? I see they have the 3rd gen now.
I'm not sure who you are talking about.... every big name manufacturer has an app radio.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #897
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
I have a few questions for Mr Broadfield:
1. What is the best way to fix hairline cracks, cracks in general on a dashboard.
2. I want to repaint my entire dashboard since i dont like the light blue, bad idea? I know the SEM texture coat is pretty close to the stock grey look.
3. How are you securing the gauges after installing them in that s14 radio bezel? Do you have a shot from the back? Talking about this. Also would like to know what glue you are using to adhere the plastic pieces youcut out to the s14 radio bezel. Thank you, and if these questions have been answered in previous pages my apologies.
1. grind out a "v" in the crack to allow more surface area for the glue to bond to. Then sand and finish to your desired look.

2. I would use the SEM Chip Guard then paint it with an SEM Color Coat if you do not like the satin black of the Chip Guard.

3. I use Norton Speed Grip to bond plastic and to typically glue the electronics in place if there isn't room for brackets.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #898
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
I'm not sure who you are talking about.... every big name manufacturer has an app radio.
I know about all the mirrorlink stuff. It just seems that some still do it better than others.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #899
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I know about all the mirrorlink stuff. It just seems that some still do it better than others.
I'm not really a fan of any of them. If I'm going that route then I would just do an iPad molded into the dash. There are obvious pros and cons to a standard double din screen, an app radio screen and a tablet.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #900
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
1. grind out a "v" in the crack to allow more surface area for the glue to bond to. Then sand and finish to your desired look.

2. I would use the SEM Chip Guard then paint it with an SEM Color Coat if you do not like the satin black of the Chip Guard.

3. I use Norton Speed Grip to bond plastic and to typically glue the electronics in place if there isn't room for brackets.
Do you use the Speed Grip to fill the crack as well? I have some plastic weld putty, would that work alright? I want to make sure it doesnt crack again.