Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #901
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
That would really depend on what fuel he's running.
He is running sidefeed 740cc injectors. Those will not support 400WHP for E85, and I am sure he is not on race gas.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #902
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
He is running sidefeed 740cc injectors. Those will not support 400WHP for E85, and I am sure he is not on race gas.
Wasn't aware of his injector size. And your correct about it not supporting that hp on e85.

I would bet he's using alcohol injection. That dyno graph is to good for strait 93 pump gas, especially going that lean up top.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #903
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Correction: I do not think he is on race gas. I hope he does have some sort of fuel octane boost (not the octane booster but say a premix of race/pump gas) or something if he is seeing those numbers on the Air Fuel
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #904
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
I am on 93octane, 740cc injectors, and 50/50 meth water injection with a 7gpm nozzle.

Still a little lean up top for my tastes.

I wasn't able to watch the wideband inside the car, because I wasn't allowed within a certain area around the dyno for safety.

But the dyno operator (driver) said the wideband in the car looked healthier and safer than the dyno readout. But didn't get into specifics, as this was just a quick dyno day, not a tuning session.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #905
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
I am on 93octane, 740cc injectors, and 50/50 meth water injection with a 7gpm nozzle.

Still a little lean up top for my tastes.

I wasn't able to watch the wideband inside the car, because I wasn't allowed within a certain area around the dyno for safety.

But the dyno operator (driver) said the wideband in the car looked healthier and safer than the dyno readout. But didn't get into specifics, as this was just a quick dyno day, not a tuning session.

In my experience my in car wideband always reads richer than the dyno wide band that's such in the end of the exhaust pipe. But not by a whole point or more.
You should consider going to a M10 jet over 400hp and use strait methanol.
Methanol and water don't mix so your not actually spraying a 50/50 mix.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #906
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bshotts
Kyle, have you thought about adjusting base fuel pressure to sneak in some extra fuel up top?

According to RC engineering website calculator, you may be reaching max 740cc injector flow (100% duty cycle) around 380-400whp assuming 43 psi fuel rail pressure which looking at the dyno appears to be the case when A/F ratio really starts to rise rapidly. Again, according to their calculator, if you could bump base rail pressure to 48 psi, you should technically have enough to support 415-420whp range.
Zoom in a little more, it's not blurry enough.
bshotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #907
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshotts View Post
Kyle, have you thought about adjusting base fuel pressure to sneak in some extra fuel up top?

According to RC engineering website calculator, you may be reaching max 740cc injector flow (100% duty cycle) around 380-400whp assuming 43 psi fuel rail pressure which looking at the dyno appears to be the case when A/F ratio really starts to rise rapidly. Again, according to their calculator, if you could bump base rail pressure to 48 psi, you should technically have enough to support 415-420whp range.
With alcohol injection he can make much more than that. He just needs to stop doing the 50/50 mix..
Old 10-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #908
Theyoung1.

Trader Rating: (0)
Theyoung1. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok guys its been a wile but finally got the car tuned on the dyno... 14psi spring on the gate dont know what the boost was on the dyno but on the street its 16 creeps with the way my exturnal is set up

anyway she put down 362/339 im assuming at 14-16 psi it was on a dyno jet so im sure im seeing more boost now than on the dyon... very pleased with the numbers at that boost level water/meth and 20+ coming soon.. tuner said i should see 440/400 so happy this thing is a torque monster...

So if your thinking of moding an external gate id do it on the manifold as cody ace does it.. right on the side of the turbine housing like i did even fully ported as big as the mvs flange and all smooth edges isnt enough to run low boost without creep... witch super sucks but that just means turn the boost up till it doesnt creep right!? lolz

Oh and my plug gap was.035 on the dyno had no blow out at all then on the street it would break up at the higher boost gaped them down too .028 and no more problems...
Theyoung1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #909
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Yea man, go EWG with the Cody setup, you'll be happy that you did. No creep at all here!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #910
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Yea man, go EWG with the Cody setup, you'll be happy that you did. No creep at all here!

Only issue is that Cody hasn't been on here in a while and I can't get ahold of him hah
Old 10-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #911
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
Only issue is that Cody hasn't been on here in a while and I can't get ahold of him hah
Shoot him a pm saying you want to buy a manifold, he'll respond. He's a busy guy to track down though.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #912
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Shoot him a pm saying you want to buy a manifold, he'll respond. He's a busy guy to track down though.
I did, a week or so back. Not in a major hurry but ready to get the ball
Rolling. Sold my tubular mani and s14 t28 yesterday so it's on!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #913
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
I did, a week or so back. Not in a major hurry but ready to get the ball
Rolling. Sold my tubular mani and s14 t28 yesterday so it's on!
He does get overwhelmed with PMs. Try again.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #914
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
He does get overwhelmed with PMs. Try again.
Yea, I figured a dude as cool as him must get lots of messages haha(but seriously)
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #915
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
He says to shoot him an email: [email protected]
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #916
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey im about to start my sr20 with a brand new gtx2867 and threw away the paper that it came with that had the break In procedure on it.. I checked Garretts website and it says there is no break in procedure on the faq page but know that's not correct since I saw it myself when I bought the turbo..anybody still have that paper or know the procedure?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #917
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You more or less just need to verify you have oil flow to the turbo. I know they recommend a restrictor but I cannot remember the size right now. I've been told that if you have a -10an drain or larger you CAN get away with out one, but I'm not certain.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #918
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
BB Garrett's are about 0.035" give or take on the restrictor size.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #919
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I already know the restrict or sizes and what not. I was just wanting to seeif someone still had the "Garrett install instructions" that come new with the turbo since it says the break in procedure on it.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #920
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
I'm pretty sure there is no "special" break-in procedure for turbos from what I remember of my new Garrett. Just check for oil, leaks etc. Drive them around at a low-moderate load for about 25-50 miles then they're good to rip.

New bearings are pretty tight, so a little bit of time cruising on them is good to let everything seat in under not a ton of load.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #921
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys im in the process of rebuilding my motor and updating my turbo for next years drift season. My car is a race car only. Currently i have stock bottom and stock top redtop s13. tomei 260 cams, 555 injectors, and hks2530 mated to a GP sports manifold, internal WG. With this set up i see 350whp it peaks up to 17 psi then drops to 14 (internal WG problem). My plans are forging the bottom end and building the top end, plus adding injectors and a GTX2867r. My goal is 400whp with quick boost. Will the GTX provide this reliably? 20-25 PSI? What if i want to grow lets say maybe 450hp? Will the gtx2867r let me do this?
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #922
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

If you want 400hp+, dont waste your money on the top end and make sure you get at least pistons/HG/headstuds in there. 400hp is about the limit of factory pistons and head gasket, and you'll be flirting with failure at that power point.

But yes, at 21psi, I made 420WHP on S3 cams, GTX2867 and supporting mods.

But do at least a set of 740cc injectors, and spend the extra money and do the external gate.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #923
lg54
Zilvia Member

Quote:
If you want 400hp+, dont waste your money on the top end and make sure you get at least pistons/HG/headstuds in there. 400hp is about the limit of factory pistons and head gasket, and you'll be flirting with failure at that power point.

But yes, at 21psi, I made 420WHP on S3 cams, GTX2867 and supporting mods.

But do at least a set of 740cc injectors, and spend the extra money and do the external gate.
great so i guess this is the way to go turbo wise. Also, no E85 where i live, so this will be 100 octane vp fuel.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #924
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
New Garrett GTX2867r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg54 View Post
Hey guys im in the process of rebuilding my motor and updating my turbo for next years drift season. My car is a race car only. Currently i have stock bottom and stock top redtop s13. tomei 260 cams, 555 injectors, and hks2530 mated to a GP sports manifold, internal WG. With this set up i see 350whp it peaks up to 17 psi then drops to 14 (internal WG problem). My plans are forging the bottom end and building the top end, plus adding injectors and a GTX2867r. My goal is 400whp with quick boost. Will the GTX provide this reliably? 20-25 PSI? What if i want to grow lets say maybe 450hp? Will the gtx2867r let me do this?

I know this is kind of jacking this thread, but I would recommend an EFR 6258. The internal gate design is much better and they make 400whp at 21psi on SR20's with stock cams on pump gas. They also offer ridiculously fast spool and transient response. Just food for thought.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #925
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I recommend the EFR 6258/6758/7163 as well, but BY ALL MEANS DO NOT GO BOTTOM MOUNT!!!

Unless you want to spend the big bucks going with a FR mani, good luck fitting the wastegate canister, the long tail end, the RV and the lines in such a tight spot.......

Ask me how I know
Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #926
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg54 View Post
great so i guess this is the way to go turbo wise. Also, no E85 where i live, so this will be 100 octane vp fuel.
Don't let others talk to you into a BW turbo. It's a bit expensive, and much more fab work needs to be done for correct fitment.

Is BW EFR turbo good? YES! But.... Too much mula (money)

I suggest the GTX2867r pretty straight forward for T2 bottom mount. In addition you will save money, and be stocked with the results.

Keep it clean and simple, GTX.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #927
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I recommend the EFR 6258/6758/7163 as well, but BY ALL MEANS DO NOT GO BOTTOM MOUNT!!!

Unless you want to spend the big bucks going with a FR mani, good luck fitting the wastegate canister, the long tail end, the RV and the lines in such a tight spot.......

Ask me how I know
Haha, it's not THAT hard man. A little trimming on the block and a new downpipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
Don't let others talk to you into a BW turbo. It's a bit expensive, and much more fab work needs to be done for correct fitment.

Is BW EFR turbo good? YES! But.... Too much mula (money)

I suggest the GTX2867r pretty straight forward for T2 bottom mount. In addition you will save money, and be stocked with the results.

Keep it clean and simple, GTX.
Saving money? How? A 6258 is $1650 with the high boost canister. A GTX is $1300 without turbine housing ($250) and you have to put an external gate ($270) and BOV with it to make it work right... There is nothing more simple and clean about a turbo with IWG and integrated BOV that functions perfect.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #928
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

PoorMans180SX, I am going to respectfly disagree and unless anyone has attempted to install one, they won't know the trials and tribulations involved to install

I will say this now. For a straight bolt on and the Easy button out, GOT WITH THE GTX. Simple. For 90% of the people, the idea of transient response and boost recovery is not worth the extra entry cost (and in all honesty, if I didn't get an inside line, it wouldn't be worth it to me either for a bottom mount).

I have a full writeup of the install which I haven't posted on Zilvia, but I will give a quick breakdown

1) Off the bat, the compressor housing does NOT fit with a stock spec mount and bracket (read: Nismo mount and stock braket). You will have to either a) clearance the mount/bracket or b) get different mounts

2) The BOV (be it stock or Fullrace) will interfere with the water port on the block, regardless of if you have AN fittings, banjo bolts, etc ($$$$ + headache)

3) The Garrett lines, although compatible, probaby won't fit apart from the oil line considering the water line fitment issue and the eventual issue of clocking the turbo ($$$ for new lines + headache)

4) The oil drain will need either new fittings and lines as the Garrett outlet does not fit and interferes with the compressor housing (I ended up making a spacer out of SS or you have to spend $$$$ on new fittings and headache)

5) The EFR has a flanged intlet/outlet, meaning your clocking plates and adapters won't be compatible. Simple as getting a few new couplers and you are good to go, but again $$$$ and headache since it has to be clocked perfectly

6) The downpipe. The biggest part of the ordeal, this is going to be the biggest const incurred on fitment. Unless you have the meands, you will have to spend $$$$ on the flange as it is not a NORMAL V band, but a half Moon or Morman flange ($$$) then you have to get it fabbed up

Again, GET THE GTX OVER THE EFR IF YOU ARE GOING BOTTOM MOUNT!! Not worth the headache and cost incurred as even with buying the GT housing, the installation costs begin to skyrocket once all is said and done!

Sorry for the thread jack. Just want to make sure there is correct information out there.

I will post my write up later if you want Poorman, and send you a PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #929
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Haha, it's not THAT hard man. A little trimming on the block and a new downpipe.

Saving money? How? A 6258 is $1650 with the high boost canister. A GTX is $1300 without turbine housing ($250) and you have to put an external gate ($270) and BOV with it to make it work right... There is nothing more simple and clean about a turbo with IWG and integrated BOV that functions perfect.
This is why people always disagree, SMH.

It seems like you are advertising this turbo, either way I don't care.
Say what you want to say I stand FIRM on simplicity, and more economically priced GTX set up.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #930
lg54
Zilvia Member

It seems pretty clear the way I need to go. I wonder what would be the differences between the GTX2867 and the all new GTX2871r.