Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #931
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Hi Toby, How are you?
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #932
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
Hi Toby, How are you?
Good, yourself?

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #933
boost infested
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
boost infested is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hi Toby!

Why didn't you tub the front wheel wells? to keep the factory look? because it's not a race car, it's a street car?
boost infested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #934
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost infested View Post
Hi Toby!

Why didn't you tub the front wheel wells? to keep the factory look? because it's not a race car, it's a street car?
It crossed my mind, but just wasn't necessary for my setup.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #935
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Toby, do you still do sales for those AN fittings and hoses? I'd like to get some information on a powersteering setup for my 1uz.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #936
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
Toby, do you still do sales for those AN fittings and hoses? I'd like to get some information on a powersteering setup for my 1uz.
You bet! You can download the XRP catalog right from their website and simply let me know which part #'s you need pricing on.

XRP, Inc. | The Xtreme in Racecar Plumbing

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #937
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Good, yourself?
I'm fine. Just checking in.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #938
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I'm fine. Just checking in.
Oh, you did see that I replied to your question about the speakers!?!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #939
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

The one about not needing rears with good front speakers?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #940
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
The one about not needing rears with good front speakers?
You are correct

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #941
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
souljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to souljaseth33
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljaseth33 View Post
Hi Toby,

I received my remote start the other day, thanks again! Do you have installation instructions for the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500?

Thanks

Not sure if you saw this post or not, just seeing if you had something to help!

Thanks.
souljaseth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #942
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
icedsole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Toby, for dynamat sound deadening do you recommend removing the stock stuff first or is it ok to lay the dynamat right over?

I am also curious if it is possible to fit 3 52mm gauges in a din slot with a custom molded carrier? I have 1st gen mechanical defis so the bezels are small.

Thanks
icedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #943
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^Should hit him up for Second Skin Damplifier Pro... His prices are the best I've seen. I'm a little over half way done with putting the Damp Pro in my s14 and can already tell it's much better than the Dynamat in my friends ride.

I just laid the stuff right over the stock deadener and used a roller to get good adhesion after cleaning with 90% isop alcohol and a clean rag.

Will probably purchase some Luxury Liner Pro from him to finish it off once/if I find a nice S15 carpet.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #944
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
You are correct

yeap. running Focal 165KRX components in the front already.

just need a W7 10" lol

still curious on running rears still haha
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #945
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
^Should hit him up for Second Skin Damplifier Pro... His prices are the best I've seen. I'm a little over half way done with putting the Damp Pro in my s14 and can already tell it's much better than the Dynamat in my friends ride.

I just laid the stuff right over the stock deadener and used a roller to get good adhesion after cleaning with 90% isop alcohol and a clean rag.

Will probably purchase some Luxury Liner Pro from him to finish it off once/if I find a nice S15 carpet.
If you are Toby can answer this. How much did you need?

Also can the luxury liner pro go over the second skin?
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #946
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljaseth33 View Post
Not sure if you saw this post or not, just seeing if you had something to help!

Thanks.
I will send you a PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedsole View Post
Toby, for dynamat sound deadening do you recommend removing the stock stuff first or is it ok to lay the dynamat right over?

I am also curious if it is possible to fit 3 52mm gauges in a din slot with a custom molded carrier? I have 1st gen mechanical defis so the bezels are small.

Thanks
Yes, just go right over the OEM stuff... unless of course the OEM stuff is loose. Then just pull the loose stuff off first before you apply the deadener

What kind of vehicle are you wanting to put the gauges in?

Quote:
yeap. running Focal 165KRX components in the front already.

just need a W7 10" lol

still curious on running rears still haha
In my opinion rear speakers are for rear passengers. Otherwise they are a complete waste. If you have your front stage set up properly with a good amount of power, then you won't hear the rears anyway. I like reproducing the music as intended... the stage in front of you. The only time I would run rear speakers is if they were dedicated mid-bass drivers... like a couple 8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
If you are Toby can answer this. How much did you need?

Also can the luxury liner pro go over the second skin?
The amount needed is really going to depend on how much you want to cover. You may need 50-60 sq. feet if you want to cover absolutely all of the vehicle.... roof, floor, firewall, trunk lid, trunk floor, quarter panels, doors etc. The easiest thing to do is simply take some rough measurements of the inside of your car where you want to apply it, then add up all of the measurements.

Yes, the Luxury Liner Pro is designed to go over the Damplifier Pro or just over the metal.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #947
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

Cool thanks, I will go with that if its going to perform better. Why not go with
a carpet from stockinteriors if you want black? Finding a clean s15 one can seem tricky plus the shipping cost. Thats my plan at least.

Quote:

Yes, just go right over the OEM stuff... unless of course the OEM stuff is loose. Then just pull the loose stuff off first before you apply the deadener

What kind of vehicle are you wanting to put the gauges in?
Thanks, and they will be going in my s14. With this talk of different brands of deadening what is your recommendation. I dont have a serious sound system nor will I ever, I mainly want to apply it for vibration, road noise, and cabin temperature control.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #948
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Thanks, and they will be going in my s14. With this talk of different brands of deadening what is your recommendation. I dont have a serious sound system nor will I ever, I mainly want to apply it for vibration, road noise, and cabin temperature control.
I like Second Skin product the best... I have sold/used every brand imaginable in the last 22 years. If you want to cut down on road noise I would do Damplifier Pro everywhere and a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on the floor, firewall and under the back seat etc.

As for the gauges, I would mold them in just like this piece, but on the top instead:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #949
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I like Second Skin product the best... I have sold/used every brand imaginable in the last 22 years. If you want to cut down on road noise I would do Damplifier Pro everywhere and a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on the floor, firewall and under the back seat etc.

As for the gauges, I would mold them in just like this piece, but on the top instead:
Great I will definitely go through you when I am ready to purchase.
That piece looks great, I may have to go that route. They look too big on that piece to do what I had initially though of
which would have been more like something I could just screw into the existing din slot without modifying the actual trim piece.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #950
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
They look too big on that piece to do what I had initially though of
which would have been more like something I could just screw into the existing din slot without modifying the actual trim piece.
Yeah, (3) 52mm's don't exactly fit in a din slot... considering the gauge body of a 52mm gauge is 52mm. Let alone the gauge bezel diameter is obviously more than that... more like 56mm-59mm depending on the gauge brand/model. A DIN opening is 50mm x 180mm.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #951
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

when you say mid bass speakers would be the mids i have in the front but larger?

or what do you think of the good front speakers and a 10" or one 8" W7 should be enough
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #952
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
when you say mid bass speakers would be the mids i have in the front but larger?

or what do you think of the good front speakers and a 10" or one 8" W7 should be enough
No, the speakers you have in front are merely a mid-bass/mid-range combo. I'm talking strictly a mid-bass driver. I wouldn't bother with anything but 8" drivers.

As for the subs, what kind of music do you listen to?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #953
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Toby, have you ever had to make clearance for the trunk springs/bars when fitting larger speakers in the rear on a s14? If so, what did you do?

Also, have you ever used RIT dye or SEM dye on carpet before with good results?

Quote:
Cool thanks, I will go with that if its going to perform better. Why not go with
a carpet from stockinteriors if you want black? Finding a clean s15 one can seem tricky plus the shipping cost. Thats my plan at least.
Never heard of them. Just checked their website and will have to get samples of what they have. $200ish shipped for new carpet isn't bad and mass backing is interesting... thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by az_240; 01-23-2014 at 06:47 AM..
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #954
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

mainly house/electro/tranceish with the occasional radio music (hip hop,alternative,rock etc)

me likey bass.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #955
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Yeah, (3) 52mm's don't exactly fit in a din slot... considering the gauge body of a 52mm gauge is 52mm. Let alone the gauge bezel diameter is obviously more than that... more like 56mm-59mm depending on the gauge brand/model. A DIN opening is 50mm x 180mm.
Yeah I see that now lol. I was hoping to recreate one of those Defi din units.
Its a bummer the Defi and OEM din gauges are angled for RHD cars.

Quote:
Never heard of them. Just checked their website and will have to get samples of what they have. $200ish shipped for new carpet isn't bad and mass backing is interesting... thanks for the heads up.
No problem man. I think its pretty good quality from what I have heard.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #956
my1s14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
my1s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey Toby, do you have any experience with the Alpine CDE SXM145BT, and if you did what are your opinions on it?

Last edited by my1s14; 02-05-2014 at 10:49 PM..
my1s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #957
ecliptic240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ecliptic240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey Toby need some wiring schematics for a Viper 5704 into an S14. Want to wire up the remote start feature as well. 95 SE with factory alarm and 5 speed. Thank you in advance kind sir.
ecliptic240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #958
CornSpeed
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
CornSpeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey man. Just looking at your blog. I noticed that your newest post needed a password. What gives?
CornSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #959
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Toby, have you ever had to make clearance for the trunk springs/bars when fitting larger speakers in the rear on a s14? If so, what did you do?

Also, have you ever used RIT dye or SEM dye on carpet before with good results?
I have really only worked on one other S-chassis other than mine in my life... and it did happen to be an S14 that I was installing an audio setup in. I get the feeling that most people on here think I work on 240's all of the time... it's the exact opposite

At any rate, I did not have to do anything when I installed 6.5's into the rear deck of an S14.

I have never used dye on anything.

Quote:
mainly house/electro/tranceish with the occasional radio music (hip hop,alternative,rock etc)

me likey bass.
You will want at least a 10" then for your sub setup... an 8" would not fly. I would actually recommend a 12" if you have the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1s14 View Post
Hey Tony, do you have any experience with the Alpine CDE SXM145BT, and if you did what are your opinions on it?
Yes, I sell/install them all of the time. It's just your run-of-the-mill CD player with XM and BT. With that being said, Alpine does make the highest quality head units on the market. I have been a dealer for every reputable brand of head unit over the last 22 years... and Alpine is the only one that I have sold for all twenty two of those years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecliptic240 View Post
Hey Toby need some wiring schematics for a Viper 5704 into an S14. Want to wire up the remote start feature as well. 95 SE with factory alarm and 5 speed. Thank you in advance kind sir.
This will get you really close:

http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/383631...lp-needed.html

Focus on my reply since it has all of the corrected stuff that the OP missed or had incorrect. NOTE: this write-up is for a Viper 5901... which is what the 5704 replaced. The harnesses will be different, but virtually every wire color from the 5901 to the 5704 is the same. So it should be pretty straight forward for you. The only one that is a different color off the top of my head is the -starter output. On the write-up it's violet and on the 5704 it will be violet/yellow. But in the instructions for the 5704 it will be described as the same as the 5901.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornSpeed View Post
Hey man. Just looking at your blog. I noticed that your newest post needed a password. What gives?
That's for me to know about along one other person on this planet But seriously, it's a well documented cluster build that is going to be featured in an import magazine soon. So I cannot post it yet. The editor in chief of said magazine is the only other person with the password. As soon as he gives me the go ahead I will make the post available to all. I really appreciate you following the blog by-the-way!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #960
ecliptic240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ecliptic240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks Toby you're vast knowledge is always appreciated.
ecliptic240 is offline   Reply With Quote