Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #961
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
I dont see how thats possible - You would have to have notched the bottom as well right?
Correct, I notched the bottom just as much as the top.
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #962
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
Since we are on the topic of S15 Diff swaps, Does anyone on here have a S15 Diff with the S15 gear/pinion to give the car a 3.69 Gear ratio? Seems most people leave the S13/S14 4.08 in the pumpkin.
i did something like that..

i put a 3.69 r & p from a q45 into my original s14 pumpkin. i had to use a smaller spacer on the pinion between the pinion and the front bearing and i had to have a machine shop drill out my obx lsd to accept 13mm bolts but it works beautifully and matches up to the gearing of the r154 very well.

with that being said i have never really been happy with the r154 so i recently purchased a v160 and am now back to the drawing board trying to figure out what to do about the rear end again.

is the tech2 kit the only one still being made that fits with the v160? i might just end up modifying what i have in there now but i am also considering just picking up the kit from tech2 to make it easy.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #963
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
i believe the freed kit does a V160 mount as well.

In for pics of notched core supports. im looking to gain clearance this winter.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #964
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Sorry, these pics probably don't make it too clear. I couldn't get any good pictures of the lower area I cut since my bumper is on, but the next time it's off I'll snap some (though it was pretty simple, just cut an equal amount on the bottom and redrill holes for the radiator pegs).

I trimmed the core support about 1.25 inches (and yeah it could look better, I did this in my driveway with a 9 dollar harbor freight angle grinder lol). I need to get some new foam (I resued the factory stuff, which isn't sticky anymore) Also, I obviously don't have a hood prop anymore (need to cut that little piece off that would normally hold it) I'm running circuit sports hood dampers with no issues.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #965
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
is the 1JZ-GTE any shorter in length than the 2JZ? i would really rather not cut my upper support and move the radiator forward because im trying to keep my A/C and the way the condenser is mounted, there is no room for it to move forward.

has anyone moved their radiator forward and used a smaller condenser from another car? im trying to figure out all possible options here.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #966
bkg775
Zilvia Member

bkg775 is a well-known jackass
Question guys, I've got the Xcessive swap kit, I'm 50/50 on going with solid motor mounts or just keeping the stock 2J ones. Same for the trans should I just stick with the stock mk3 supra mount? I've ridden in a talon with solid mounts and it felt like a lazy boy recliner but I've never been in a rad car with solid mounts.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #967
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg775 View Post
Question guys, I've got the Xcessive swap kit, I'm 50/50 on going with solid motor mounts or just keeping the stock 2J ones. Same for the trans should I just stick with the stock mk3 supra mount? I've ridden in a talon with solid mounts and it felt like a lazy boy recliner but I've never been in a rad car with solid mounts.
with the xcessive kit you dont use the 2jz rubber mounts for the engine. Personally, I would avoid solid mounts on a street car. With that being said, solid mounts on a 2jz would probably feel more smooth than on a sr or ka.
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #968
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got solid mounts and its super smooth. no vibration
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #969
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by waste_of_space View Post
What fans do you have on your car? I'm not sure if i'm going to grind the water pump bolts and the aligning nub down so it fits better or if i'm going to mod the Core support.

The Flexalite 410/420 Series fans and Koyo radiator don't like to fit.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #970
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Yeah it was a tight fit even with notching the core support. I'm running a set of dual FAL's that have a built in shroud, though I'm unsure of the model number (doesn't have a thermostatic control box though, so I think they're just 220's)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #971
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The Flexalite 410/420 Series fans and Koyo radiator don't like to fit.
This is really depressing to hear. Sounds like im definitely going to have to move my radiator forward then.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #972
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
This is really depressing to hear. Sounds like im definitely going to have to move my radiator forward then.
Well, Let me put it another way....

It FITS, but it's tight, REALLY tight. I could go back and do what i did with the old setup this year, but i'm looking at making a few little changes.

If you take the factory foam off the top of core support, you will see the core support has a little "lip" I just bent that down out of the way a little bit, and put new foam up and then i tried to fit the Koyo/Flex a lite combo. and it wouldn't budge. I had to cut about 1/4" or 3/8" off the studs, and i had to grind down the nose piece of the water pump then they fit, but there is pretty much NO clearance.

Here are some pics i took from earlier this year, I guess i'm too concerned on the appearance side of things to just hack up the upper core support. But i might notch the outer corners of the core support and use a thinner foam and see if that helps at all.

Maybe that will help.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #973
Xicor01
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Xicor01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey guys who have done R154 to s13 diff, and then converted to Q45 does the q45 sit the same distance away or is there some modification required for the drive shaft to work?
Xicor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #974
Mister.E
Post Whore!

sweet jesus, that is entirely too close for comfort. i've heard that the 1JZ is shorter than the 2JZ though, so i might have a little more clearance.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #975
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
sweet jesus, that is entirely too close for comfort. i've heard that the 1JZ is shorter than the 2JZ though, so i might have a little more clearance.
Yeah, I'm not a fan at all of how close it was. Just not sure the best idea... Still playing with my options.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #976
h815 240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
h815 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
I have 1j in s13. Running Mishimoto radiator with two of the lowest profile fans that Spal makes. I maybe have a quarter inch between the tip of the water pump and the back of the fan.
h815 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #977
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Do yall think fal pushers wouldn't be sufficient enough? I'm in the process of removing the Ac compressor to have more clearance. I was running my girls fal's as pushers and temps were gettin to 200
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #978
Mister.E
Post Whore!

im not a big fan of pusher fans, i really just prefer pullers. i already know what my only real option is, and it's gonna cause me to lose my A/C condenser. FFFFFFUUUUUU
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #979
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
why not just rock an ac condensor from like a civic or something that way you can mount it wherever you want to
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #980
Mister.E
Post Whore!

i may have to do that. i cant think of any other options at this point.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #981
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

I don't think 1j's are any more/less long, 2j is just taller (since it has a longer stroke) as far as I know (or at least the deck height is taller on a 2j). But people with s14's don't seem to have the clearance issue us people with 13's do lol. I'll post up a picture of how close the fan clearance was to that water pump nose piece. But I don't have cooling issues so I can't complain, though I would like to add an oil cooler and a hood vent eventually
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #982
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

The clearance is pretty tight:

Also, I have a few extra of these stickers if anyone wants one hahaha. Says "no jz no care"

Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #983
Mister.E
Post Whore!

so you're saying there is more clearance in an S14 bay? i thought they werent any longer than the S13..?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #984
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
so you're saying there is more clearance in an S14 bay? i thought they werent any longer than the S13..?
I don't own an s14 so I can't be sure, but I do have two friends that have 1j's in their 14's and they didn't have to do any cutting or anything
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #985
Mister.E
Post Whore!

ok cool, ill have to look more into that.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #986
bkg775
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
with the xcessive kit you dont use the 2jz rubber mounts for the engine. Personally, I would avoid solid mounts on a street car. With that being said, solid mounts on a 2jz would probably feel more smooth than on a sr or ka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogg0 View Post
I've got solid mounts and its super smooth. no vibration
That's what I was wondering about bc the instruction say to use the 2j rubber mounts or I can use xcessives sr/ka mounts and I was like well I can get sr mounts for super cheap or use my stock Sr mounts but I'm not sure if it'll hold a 2j. Thanks for the input guys I may just get some poly sr/ka mounts
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #987
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Instructions for in car installation.
1. The mounts are designed to fit either side of the engine and the slot for the X-member mount allows for adjustment when fitting in the car.
2. Remove the four bolts (Per bracket) that hold the stock brackets to the side of the engine block and remove the stock brackets. (If applicable)
3. The X-member mounts, (rubber mounts) will need the index pin on the top ground off. The new motor brackets do not use the index pin and will not sit properly if the pin is still in place. If your using Xcessive urethane motor mounts, you do not need to worry about index pin issues.
4. The stock rubber mounts also have metal plates on top that will need to be positioned properly. The driver side mount will have the top lip to the rear and passenger side mount will have the top lip to the front. This is typical for most applications. Be sure to check that it applies correctly to your fitment.
5. Bolt the new brackets to the block using the new supplied bolts. A mild thread locker can be used if vibration or loosening is a concern.
6. When placing the engine in the car, it’s usually easier to leave the motor mounts in the car loose so they can be tipped allowing the mounting stud to align with your new motor brackets and allowing them to center up easier on the cross member when the engine is set. You may also hang the motor mounts from the new brackets and lower it all down to the cross member all at once.
7. With the engine sitting down, you can check that the motor is sitting straight, once you have the motor straight you can tighten the rubber mount base plates to cross member.
8. With clearance checked, you can now put the nuts back on the top of the motor mounts and tighten it down.

Instructions say to use the mounts off the crossmember aka stock mounts. 2jz mounts are different, I don't think they would work but you never know? Anyway I see no advantage to using the 2jz rubber mount over a sr/ka one. Get a nismo one and be happy.
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #988
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Or get DrftFreaks mounts which are awesome
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #989
bkg775
Zilvia Member

Thanks bud, I just read the instructions again and felt like a dumbass.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #990
CDD200
Leaky Injector

CDD200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan at all of how close it was. Just not sure the best idea... Still playing with my options.
Hey flick, If you take the rubber seal off the fans it will help move them forward, worked on mine with just a bent lip on the core support...