Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #991
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
Can u run a 3071/3076 w/ a bottom mount manifold? Reason I ask is because I already have an HKS bottom mount mani. I was seriously thinking about the 3071r w/the atp external wg housing IF I can keep my a/c as I have heard there might be clearance issues
Has been already talked about a few pages back... ok maybe 10 lol... anyways, its useless to run a GT30xx bottom mount because of the manifold designs and the restriction of running a GT30xx on T2 housings. So all in all don't bother....
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #992
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Has been already talked about a few pages back... ok maybe 10 lol... anyways, its useless to run a GT30xx bottom mount because of the manifold designs and the restriction of running a GT30xx on T2 housings. So all in all don't bother....
Thanks for the heads up. IIRC Steve Shadows wanted to run a bottom mount 3071r so I thought it sounded very interesting. Yeah I think I will search this thread haha

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #993
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
deukalionS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. IIRC Steve Shadows wanted to run a bottom mount 3071r so I thought it sounded very interesting. Yeah I think I will search this thread haha
I would like to run this as a future upgrade but want to hear from people who have ACTUALLY ran it and not theories or "i heard" type comments...

anyways, the hks wg comes today! to ill install it tonight and play tomorrow!!!

anyone have any new dyno sheets?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #994
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
But seriously who has moeny to test the setup? T2 Frame is going to cost you like 400... manifold etc etc... its going to be hard to find a side by side comparison of a T2 vs a T3 GT3071R or something.... At this point....
Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #995
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
**edited**

Tomei S15 runs a 3071/76 bottom mount T2 setup IIRC, and they have some very impressive numbers.

Not sure on the other specs though

Last edited by s15specR; 08-28-2009 at 02:45 PM..
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #996
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
In the future I plan on building another car using this turbo.

I am confident the GT2876R is the best option for those of you who MUST hit the true 400 WHP mark with bottom mount turbo, and it is possible on pump gas too...

The base 2871R just does not have enough compressor to run out into efficiency that high like the 3076 wheel
Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #997
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
I just got a tune and the turbo doesn't feel AS crappy. Still off and on but not as bad. Only running 10 psi though.

Im thinking of keeping the turbo and changing my engine to a RB25 and getting a T3 exhaust housing...
Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #998
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
But seriously who has moeny to test the setup? T2 Frame is going to cost you like 400... manifold etc etc... its going to be hard to find a side by side comparison of a T2 vs a T3 GT3071R or something.... At this point....
true. that is a good point. also, the 2876 is a good idea as well. i just cant find and user reviews on them. and seeing as how the garrett site says its not for performance applications im like
Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #999
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
I just got a tune and the turbo doesn't feel AS crappy. Still off and on but not as bad. Only running 10 psi though.

Im thinking of keeping the turbo and changing my engine to a RB25 and getting a T3 exhaust housing...
Damn Obeewon... Your thread and haven't seen you post int 10809184 billion years lol!!....

So you still on the 2871R? T3 exhaust housing would be awesome top mount... SRs are kewl but RB's are definitely better, I just have a hard time looking for parts if I do swap over that is all... SR's are fun...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #1000
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deukalionS14 View Post
So, i got her tuned n we tried to push 18psi but the wastegate wouldnt hold boost and would only boost 16psi and spike to 17 at one point.

Even with that issue i put down 381whp and 303trq with power holding until my 7600 redline. i wish the trq was a little higher but its still great for only 16psi!!! lol im working on going external and running 20psi with water/alcohol.

also, one last note. this was done on a dynojet but the funny thing is that it put down 325whp on a dynodynamics dyno at 12psi and when i took to these guys to get tuned we did a base run at the same level and it actually read lower than the DD Dyno. funny? yeah i thought so too. oh well now that i have a good tune a review of the tuner and fuck ups of the previouse tuner will be posted.

Mods so far are:
S14 SR20
HKS 256/264 10.5mm cams
apexi HG (stock thickness)
740cc inj
circuit sports fuel pump
z32 MAFS
2871r .64 52trim
New design GReddy intake Mani
MR Ex. Mani
AEM water kit
I dont want to bust your bubble

but i have a full built race car with carbon shaft,straight cut dogbox, stroked out SR,solid lifters and cams with 12.5mm lift and i cant even make that power on 1.2bar with my setup running a k3-450R turbo which is MUCH MUCH bigger then your 2871
your dyno reads wayyyyyy too high mate......... why dont you take it to another tuner with a proper dyno?? Id be skeptical seeing a figure anything past 350rwhp on a fully built SR20 and 2871.... even using high boost! and pump gas just makes it sound even more suss!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #1001
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambadrun View Post

but i have a full built race car with carbon shaft,straight cut dogbox, stroked out SR,solid lifters and cams with 12.5mm lift and i cant even make that power on 1.2bar with my setup running a k3-450R turbo which is MUCH MUCH bigger then your 2871
your dyno reads wayyyyyy too high mate......... why dont you take it to another tuner with a proper dyno?? Id be skeptical seeing a figure anything past 350rwhp on a fully built SR20 and 2871.... even using high boost! and pump gas just makes it sound even more suss!
CodyAce made 400, multiple dyno sheets too IIRC. Do a search on google and you'll see. Hell, there's even videos.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #1002
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambadrun View Post

You didnt burst my bubble friend! i already know that i can make over 350whp on a DynoDynamics dyno (which i'm assuming you are talking about). When Steve tuned my car at 12psi I put down 326whp on a DD Dyno with 91oct.

My bottom end is 100% stock and for the head i just have the basic titanium valve springs/retainers, HKS Step 1 256/264 10.5mm cams, and GReddy RAS.

so granted the DynoJet reads higher (which im not denying although it feels good) i KNOW that i can pass 350whp on a DD Dyno.

funny thing was, when we did a base run at 12psi on the dynojet it read 317whp. so it actually read lower. i doubt that altitude levels would make THAT much of a difference. seeing as how people state that the dynojet reads an average of 13% higher than a DynoDynamics. which would mean that the DJ should have read around 368whp at that psi level. so if altitude can make a 51whp difference then i should be WAAAAY higher than the 381whp that i put out at 16psi.

so, contrary to what people say about the dyno difference in my case it was the opposit and the DD read higher. I'm sure that Steve shadows wouldnt pull some shady shit and try to make the DD read higher than what it really is putting out just to claim a tune. he has too much rep already to pull some lame shit like that.

I hear people (mostly from down under) rag on the dynojet and other dynos that we use in the US. however, from what i have seen from my recent experience and from other people, the dyno's dont make THAT MUCH of an insane difference in numbers.

my brother inlaw put down 203whp with a stock rb20 with raised boost to 14psi dropping to around 10psi on the top end on a dynodynamics dyno with a stock ECU. what would people say to that?

maybe the DJ does read higher, but in my case it read lower. and each run was consistant and consistancy with a dyno and a good tuner is what we should be looking for IMO.

you should run your set up on the DD at 12psi and see what you put down? let me know of what the numbers are so we can play your game of comparison.

with a fully built stroked motor and a bigger turbo you should be putting out much more than my 100% stock bottom and basic head with a "small" 2871r .64 simple set up. cant wait to see your numbers!!

btw, in the next couple weeks ill do a 20~22psi tune with water/meth and post up the results.

maybe oneday people will just be able to say "good job"

Last edited by deukalionS14; 08-29-2009 at 07:41 PM..
deukalionS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #1003
JacksonBrown
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
JacksonBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gooooooood job
JacksonBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #1004
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBrown View Post
Gooooooood job
LOL thanks!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #1005
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Quote:
LOL thanks!
I am convinced there is something up with the camshafts or maybe the VTC, because every consecutive run we did on your car the power seemed to dip more and more.

Also I would check the turbo out and most possibly your VTC. Something is getting worse and worse. VTC going out can cause this kind of slow power drop off. You should definitely be reading lower on the Dyno Dynamics. this means you would probably be reading at like 300 now on my DD.

Never had a 2871R car do that before. Also Try running some colder plugs and then advancing your timing in your map up 2 degrees.
The Air Intake temps that day were really HOT - which might have contributed to your power dropping.

The DD is just straight off road power so It cant be that. There is defintiely something that is getting worse are worse, like a vacuum leak or maybe your turbo starting to get more drag on it.

Me and Mike were kind of baffled at why the car wouldnt make more and more power as we increased your boost more and more.

Shoot me a PM, that's pretty crappy if your power keeps falling off more and more.

PS. did you ever get the boost controller to work properly?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #1006
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
CodyAce made 400, multiple dyno sheets too IIRC. Do a search on google and you'll see. Hell, there's even videos.
Cody ace has some "custom help" lets say on that particular car and runs...

he-he-he

He is not the norm at all.

Just check with the aussies on here. 380 is usually the limit.

I am convinced that Camshafts and Intake manifold greatly limit the potential power you can make with the 2871R.

In the case of the larger T3/T4 50 Trim turbos its actually the opposite case but that 2871R is really a small turbo it needs a "larger front door" sort of speak to get more out of the compressor it has.

Big intake cam and intake manifold cars see the highest and best results
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #1007
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Cody ace has some "custom help" lets say on that particular car and runs...

he-he-he
Good or bad custom help ? It is definitely unique as I've only seen a couple others that came close to his.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #1008
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
I am convinced there is something up with the camshafts or maybe the VTC, because every consecutive run we did on your car the power seemed to dip more and more.

Also I would check the turbo out and most possibly your VTC. Something is getting worse and worse. VTC going out can cause this kind of slow power drop off. You should definitely be reading lower on the Dyno Dynamics. this means you would probably be reading at like 300 now on my DD.

Never had a 2871R car do that before. Also Try running some colder plugs and then advancing your timing in your map up 2 degrees.
The Air Intake temps that day were really HOT - which might have contributed to your power dropping.

The DD is just straight off road power so It cant be that. There is defintiely something that is getting worse are worse, like a vacuum leak or maybe your turbo starting to get more drag on it.

Me and Mike were kind of baffled at why the car wouldnt make more and more power as we increased your boost more and more.

Shoot me a PM, that's pretty crappy if your power keeps falling off more and more.

PS. did you ever get the boost controller to work properly?
Well, unless there was a problem in the installation of the parts then the problem wouldnt be with the cams or VTC. the VTC solenoid was replaced with a new one.

The turbo is fine as i have checked and had my entire set up looked over by Otis at RB performance before heading over the tuner in Hesperia which was BEYOND hot and still pulled 381 consistantly over 4 or more pulls.

As for power increasing as the boost increased. there was a difference just from a "butt feeling" between 12psi and 15psi. the one thing that we did was change the fuel pump to a circuit sports unit and get it tuned.

other than the wg opening at 16psi and not holding 18 everything was great.

the power "drop" can easily be blamed on the drastic alititude difference between mission viejo and hesperia.

anyone who lives in Riverside and above and has driven to carlsbad or san diego can tell that the car drives much better down there due to alititude and climate change.

these two tunes have been done in two VERY different enviroments. one being in Mission Viejo during the month of May (which is no where was hot as now) and the other done in Hesperia during the month of August in 90+ degree weather.

the new tune is spot on and had no hiccups other than the boost not holding.

yeah, the boost controller is fine and since i changed the wastegate it holds 18psi with no problem. i just need a new turbo inlet gasket
Old 08-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #1009
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Good or bad custom help ? It is definitely unique as I've only seen a couple others that came close to his.
yeah, his number are impressive and are something for fellow 2871r .64 owners to shoot for. I'm shooting for it for sure.

also, the more research i do on the 4 dynos (mustang dyno, dynojet, dynodynamics, and dynapack) that most people use the more interesting information on "readings" i find.

Modified mag also did a expirament with these 4 dynos and the mustang dyno actually read the lowest followed by the dynojet, then dynodynamics, then the dynapack came in reading the highest of the 4.

also, you can't put a percentage difference for each dyno as it seems the percentage difference changes with the power output.

people have said between 6~16% difference between the DJ and DD dynos but a difference of 10% is HUGE.

so, the best bet is to just use the dyno for what its made for. tuning and power upgrades output comparison.

i need to stop with long posts lol damn im bored
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #1010
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Quote:
well they wouldn't be so long

if

you

would

quit

typing

this.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #1011
z2roll4life7
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
z2roll4life7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
yeah, his number are impressive and are something for fellow 2871r .64 owners to shoot for. I'm shooting for it for sure.

also, the more research i do on the 4 dynos (mustang dyno, dynojet, dynodynamics, and dynapack) that most people use the more interesting information on "readings" i find.

Modified mag also did a expirament with these 4 dynos and the mustang dyno actually read the lowest followed by the dynojet, then dynodynamics, then the dynapack came in reading the highest of the 4.

also, you can't put a percentage difference for each dyno as it seems the percentage difference changes with the power output.

people have said between 6~16% difference between the DJ and DD dynos but a difference of 10% is HUGE.

so, the best bet is to just use the dyno for what its made for. tuning and power upgrades output comparison.

I remember reading this i was surprised of the outcome
Dyno Dash - AWD - Modified Magazine
z2roll4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #1012
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2roll4life7 View Post
I remember reading this i was surprised of the outcome
Dyno Dash - AWD - Modified Magazine
Yeah, I was surprised too haha

Quote:
well they wouldn't be so long

if

you

would

quit

typing

this.
yeah, try reading all that shit compressed the way you would type it. i wouldnt even read a post typed like that.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #1013
JacksonBrown
Zilvia Member

^^ Have you eliminated low compression in any of your cylinders as a possible culprit for your set-up not being able to achieve the numbers you're looking for at this time? I.E. have you done a compression/leak down to determine the health of the motor?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #1014
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
^^ Have you eliminated low compression in any of your cylinders as a possible culprit for your set-up not being able to achieve the numbers you're looking for at this time? I.E. have you done a compression/leak down to determine the health of the motor?
Yes, i did a compression test and all four were 150+psi. the motor was freshly rebuilt in March or April by Mike Kondo at Conyon Racer.

The reason why i didnt make the power i wanted this time was because of my wastegate not holding the boost. i want to boost 20~22psi with water/meth in the near future.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #1015
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
Sorry man.

It's definately USA dynos read high.

I have a shitloads of mates here who even run TD06-L2-20G complete TRUST kits ( brand new, 8cm ) today a mate of mine tuned his.... 17psi boost with a cleaned up head and springs with Jun 264. 11.5mm camshafts

this car was stock bottom but had the fresh reco head and cams with springs

guess what power it made?

348.66rwhp

now
that in the states would be wayyy too low right? its actually quite high here hahaha... Theres no way on earth a GT-RS (2871 52t) can make that power unless its running massive cams and 20+psi boost. ive seen it too many times on differnt dynos in australia and differnt tuners too so no excuses....

But its good to see you can make that power in USA.. maybe go and drag race it to see what MPH and times you pull down the quarter mile?

heres a link to my mates fresh TD06-L2-20G chart.
this was on a higher reading dynapack dyno ( hub dyno from NZ)....

and a video of my car on 1.1bar boost with a run in tune ( 365rwhp or so.. Mainline dyno)

YouTube - Testing S13 Silvia JUN 2.2L KKK turbo 1.1k boost

its definately the dynos in usa. im satisfied by that because you guys make 300rwhp from stock T28's and 350rwhp on 2871 52ts....... quite easly too with mild mods . and low boost. which is the total oppisite to australia... and other countrys.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #1016
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Its because you guys are below the equator, the oxygination and the centrifugal gravitational rotation mass make your turbo's spin backwards.

I'm going to the quarter this week with a friend to see what traps I put down. My 60fts will suck because my tires are gay though.

Car feels like mid 300's right now according to my pantelones.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #1017
Ghost240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Ghost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Its because you guys are below the equator, the oxygination and the centrifugal gravitational rotation mass make your turbo's spin backwards.

I'm going to the quarter this week with a friend to see what traps I put down. My 60fts will suck because my tires are gay though.

Car feels like mid 300's right now according to my pantelones.

I still got them tires AND I'm off today!
Ghost240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #1018
JacksonBrown
Zilvia Member

Quote:
/thread
Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #1019
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
/thread
hahaha good call :P but yeh.. comeone 350rwhp from a 400hp rated turbo
come on man... maybe if it boosted to the shithouse then id believe it.lol
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #1020
JacksonBrown
Zilvia Member

Werd.

I know a few peeps who run 2871's on their stock crank SR's w/ stock cams that get ~380whp+. They're pushing 22+ psi at it to achieve this. It's altogether therefore possible. These turbo's looove boost. Cams just make the same numbers possible at lower boost.