Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #11821
ColdSideofthePillow

Trader Rating: (0)
ColdSideofthePillow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
350z- 3rd Gear No Longer Exists

Took my 2003 350z out to the track for a drift event yesterday. Everything was fine throughout the day until we left for home. I got on the highway and moved from 1st to 2nd with no problem. When I went into 3rd gear it was like I was in neutral. I thought maybe I shifted wrong so I pushed the clutch in and tried again, and still all rev no go (Doesn't grind or make noise). So now I'm doing 1-2-4-5-6. Should I be looking for a CD009 replacement now, or is there an easier and more cost efficient way to fix the problem?
ColdSideofthePillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #11822
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I want to make motor mounts for my Sr and want them to be solid aluminum like the excessive manufacturing ones. I'm just wondering what lenghth and diameter aluminum I would need
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #11823
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
BIG WTF Question: KA24DE valves are slightly smaller for the exhaust side than the intake side. All cam sets that are offered are only single pattern, ie, 256/256, 264/264, 272/272. With smaller valves on the exhaust, why are there no dual pattern sets to exploit the exhaust side with a longer cam event, ie, 264/272?
Would a dual pattern cam set not offer better engine scavenging to pull more air through higher vacuum velocity into the compression chamber?

I do know one thing with 'carb' based four valve motors with dual pattern cams, they have a wicked nasty sounding idle that kinda has that baWUP baWUP baWUP sound.
The only video I find have tiny 248/232 cams which seem a little backwards with exhaust valves being smaller
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #11824
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
BIG WTF Question: KA24DE valves are slightly smaller for the exhaust side than the intake side. All cam sets that are offered are only single pattern, ie, 256/256, 264/264, 272/272. With smaller valves on the exhaust, why are there no dual pattern sets to exploit the exhaust side with a longer cam event, ie, 264/272?
Would a dual pattern cam set not offer better engine scavenging to pull more air through higher vacuum velocity into the compression chamber?

I do know one thing with 'carb' based four valve motors with dual pattern cams, they have a wicked nasty sounding idle that kinda has that baWUP baWUP baWUP sound.
The only video I find have tiny 248/232 cams which seem a little backwards with exhaust valves being smaller
Just because it is a different size, doesn't mean that it would benefit from a longer duration.

And stuff that sounds 'wicked nasty' doesn't always mean 'wicked fast' or even that it's running correctly.

I don't know what your education background is or what level you are trying to get into this, but this book will answer allot if you already know some mechanical engineering/thermodynamics: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, (007028637X), John B. Heywood, Textbooks - Barnes & Noble
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #11825
toolbox27
Leaky Injector

toolbox27 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a head in the mail and when i opened the box the buckets had fallen out and im not sure which ones go where. is there an order or can i just put them wherever?
toolbox27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #11826
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Just because it is a different size, doesn't mean that it would benefit from a longer duration.

And stuff that sounds 'wicked nasty' doesn't always mean 'wicked fast' or even that it's running correctly.

I don't know what your education background is or what level you are trying to get into this, but this book will answer allot if you already know some mechanical engineering/thermodynamics: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, (007028637X), John B. Heywood, Textbooks - Barnes & Noble
bc...I'll go on the assumption that is bc for THE BC of the stroker motor cam shop? If not, I hope I don't go over your head. Still doesn't answer my question. If you want to discuss bernouli, cam lobe behaviors as applied to valve timeing events and such, I'm game. Where cylinder bore, ring type, ceramic or no ceramic, is all up to whoever. I asked a simple question here. Knowing that a good motor in a high state of tune can have either a single or dual pattern cam with valve size considered, why is it no one makes a set of dual pattern cams for the KA's or SR's?
As an example, the last V8 I built, a stroked 351 --> 427ci, I had a choice between either a single pattern cam or a dual pattern cam. Both had similiar hp figures, but their torque curves were slightly different between 2500rpm and 3500rpm where many cams suffer a slight depression in the dyno sheet. The dual pattern cam smoothed this out by over 45%. The hp at the top was also slightly higher rpm as well.
Again I ask, why are there no dual pattern cams for the KA? SImple small question that I believe rates a responsiblely solid answer from someone who knows their stuff
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #11827
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Miguelone is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone got a rough/previous sale price for an R33 GTR/Autech S14 rear subframe brace bar thing?

Trying to buy one but have nfi what it's worth and seller wants way too much money for what is essentially a couple of bits of tubing.
Miguelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #11828
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
Is the stock KA24DE downpipe (specifically the section between the header and cat/test pipe), the same in an S13 and S14? Can I put one from an S13 into my S14 without issue?
This. For some reason my questions tend to be avoided. Lol
Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #11829
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Is the stock KA24DE downpipe (specifically the section between the header and cat/test pipe), the same in an S13 and S14? Can I put one from an S13 into my S14 without issue?
Quote:
Can you put one on? Yes
Without an issue?Depends

The S13 has the EGR bung hole in a different place so you're going to have to modify your EGR pipe to fit.
It also has another bung hole that is used for the IACV which the s14 doesn't have.

So it all depends if you wanna pass smog or not.
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #11830
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
bc...I'll go on the assumption that is bc for THE BC of the stroker motor cam shop? If not, I hope I don't go over your head. Still doesn't answer my question. If you want to discuss bernouli, cam lobe behaviors as applied to valve timeing events and such, I'm game. Where cylinder bore, ring type, ceramic or no ceramic, is all up to whoever. I asked a simple question here. Knowing that a good motor in a high state of tune can have either a single or dual pattern cam with valve size considered, why is it no one makes a set of dual pattern cams for the KA's or SR's?
As an example, the last V8 I built, a stroked 351 --> 427ci, I had a choice between either a single pattern cam or a dual pattern cam. Both had similiar hp figures, but their torque curves were slightly different between 2500rpm and 3500rpm where many cams suffer a slight depression in the dyno sheet. The dual pattern cam smoothed this out by over 45%. The hp at the top was also slightly higher rpm as well.
Again I ask, why are there no dual pattern cams for the KA? SImple small question that I believe rates a responsiblely solid answer from someone who knows their stuff
You claim all this knowledge but don't understand why the intake valves are bigger than the exhaust?

Dual pattern cams compensate for the intake manifold or exhaust header being less efficient then the other. Used to make the idle quality and vacuum better.

The lope sound you describe is due to valve overlap not duration.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #11831
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
should it be necessary to get my driveshaft rebalanced after changing the front yoke/bearing?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #11832
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSideofthePillow View Post
Took my 2003 350z out to the track for a drift event yesterday. Everything was fine throughout the day until we left for home. I got on the highway and moved from 1st to 2nd with no problem. When I went into 3rd gear it was like I was in neutral. I thought maybe I shifted wrong so I pushed the clutch in and tried again, and still all rev no go (Doesn't grind or make noise). So now I'm doing 1-2-4-5-6. Should I be looking for a CD009 replacement now, or is there an easier and more cost efficient way to fix the problem?
the cd009 is gonna be the way to go, it will help you avoid future problems including the one above..
Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #11833
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
Quote:
Quote:
Im pretty sure s13 is 2 into 1 whereas s14 is 1 pipe from the header.
someone correct me if im wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERDdabuilder View Post
should it be necessary to get my driveshaft rebalanced after changing the front yoke/bearing?
if you took apart your driveshaft it needss to be balanced, if you only removed the yoke it should be ok.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #11834
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
bc...I'll go on the assumption that is bc for THE BC of the stroker motor cam shop?
Nope, that ain't me, just some letters I like
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #11835
ColdSideofthePillow

ColdSideofthePillow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoracingsx View Post
the cd009 is gonna be the way to go, it will help you avoid future problems including the one above..
Alright man I have my boss setting me up with a CD009 that I'll swap in. I appreciate your help.
ColdSideofthePillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #11836
MAHALOHAWAII
Leaky Injector

MAHALOHAWAII is an unknown quantity at this point
Nissan 350z owners...

Windshield washer tank started leaking then just spilled everything out checked both my pumps and replaced both but still drips... No holes in the hoses. Any idea why?
MAHALOHAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #11837
Stupidflanderz

Stupidflanderz is an unknown quantity at this point
So there are an @$$load of awesome diys to swap engines but:
What sites are reliable to buy SR's, KA's and VG's USDM or JDM(preferably)?
Are there certain shops that do eng/trans swaps?
Rounded up, what's an estimate like? 500-1k for an eng swap?
I've google'd Illinois for Nissan shops and I guess I don't know enough to word my search right. And I've settled on buying a Z32 and getting a TT conv or S14.5 w/ SR-T
Stupidflanderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #11838
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Is EGR an emissions requirement of US market cars? Seems like a stupid backwards idea tbh.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #11839
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelone View Post
Is EGR an emissions requirement of US market cars? Seems like a stupid backwards idea tbh.
Not required. Just an easy way to meet emissions. Not all cars have it.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #11840
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidflanderz View Post
So there are an @$$load of awesome diys to swap engines but:
What sites are reliable to buy SR's, KA's and VG's USDM or JDM(preferably)?
Are there certain shops that do eng/trans swaps?
Rounded up, what's an estimate like? 500-1k for an eng swap?
I've google'd Illinois for Nissan shops and I guess I don't know enough to word my search right. And I've settled on buying a Z32 and getting a TT conv or S14.5 w/ SR-T
This is your best bet hands down, not only to buy the motor you want, but do the swap as well. And you aren't that far away either.
Your source for rare JDM Parts | JDM Hookup

Call them for prices because it will depend on what exactly you want and it sounds like you haven't decided yet.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #11841
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
You claim all this knowledge but don't understand why the intake valves are bigger than the exhaust?

Dual pattern cams compensate for the intake manifold or exhaust header being less efficient then the other. Used to make the idle quality and vacuum better.

The lope sound you describe is due to valve overlap not duration.
No kidding? wow... You told me nothing that I do not already know. As to valve overlap not having anything to do with duration, wrong. The duration between two different cam's lobes is where that overlap comes from. If you look at the cam circle and see the baselines where the intake and exhaust events happen it is the duration, lift, and the way the valve falls back in place. Lobe ramps add or subtract from this by their shape as well as when the specific events are times within the overall duration.

There are a few cam makers that make the cams for the KA, either in NA trim or -T trim. The only problem is that they are all single pattern, so again my question is WHY are there NOT any Dual pattern cams? I would think that SOMEONE here might know one of the guys(JTW, BC, KELFORD, et al) to properly answer what I am asking.
I get it, we all have knowledge of how these motors work at the mechanical level, the function of the fuellie system, some the ecu's(Martin at RSE, et al), but the reasoning behind the why as to dual vs single pattern cams has still not been answered.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #11842
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
No kidding? wow... You told me nothing that I do not already know. As to valve overlap not having anything to do with duration, wrong. The duration between two different cam's lobes is where that overlap comes from. If you look at the cam circle and see the baselines where the intake and exhaust events happen it is the duration, lift, and the way the valve falls back in place. Lobe ramps add or subtract from this by their shape as well as when the specific events are times within the overall duration.

There are a few cam makers that make the cams for the KA, either in NA trim or -T trim. The only problem is that they are all single pattern, so again my question is WHY are there NOT any Dual pattern cams? I would think that SOMEONE here might know one of the guys(JTW, BC, KELFORD, et al) to properly answer what I am asking.
I get it, we all have knowledge of how these motors work at the mechanical level, the function of the fuellie system, some the ecu's(Martin at RSE, et al), but the reasoning behind the why as to dual vs single pattern cams has still not been answered.
You can have two cams with the same duration have different overlap.

In S14's and S13 with SCV's removed the KA has a balanced intake and exhaust. There is no need to compensate by running different intake and exhaust duration. Being a dual cam motor you can also mix and match cams to get different durations. The KA market is not as big as the SR to have on the shelf singles like the SR does.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #11843
Punished
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
Punished is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
S13 reverse light on a manual swapped car. I bought the car manually swapped, I found the plug on the sr tranny, and it of course is not hooked up. What 2 wires should I be hunting for and where to make the reverse lights work.
Punished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #11844
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Can you put one on? Yes
Without an issue?Depends

The S13 has the EGR bung hole in a different place so you're going to have to modify your EGR pipe to fit.
It also has another bung hole that is used for the IACV which the s14 doesn't have.

So it all depends if you wanna pass smog or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
Im pretty sure s13 is 2 into 1 whereas s14 is 1 pipe from the header.
someone correct me if im wrong.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #11845
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
If you know the cam makers in question, why don't you just call them yourself and ask them first hand? Don't come to Zilvia to ask technical questions about the cams of a KA, and if you insist, don't do it in the small questions thread.

NICO has some good stock KA cam swap information iirc, but I am not gonna search it for you.

Quote:
You can have two cams with the same duration have different overlap.
yep.

Also, your location is quite offensive, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #11846
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

tschmidt55 is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone ever had any experience with a r33 hydrolic hand brake on a s14?
tschmidt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #11847
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidt55 View Post
anyone ever had any experience with a r33 hydrolic hand brake on a s14?
R33 has a cable handbrake not a hydro.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #11848
Stupidflanderz

Stupidflanderz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
This is your best bet hands down, not only to buy the motor you want, but do the swap as well. And you aren't that far away either.
Your source for rare JDM Parts | JDM Hookup
Thanks much. I wish I knew it was that easy, I'd have looked harder.

Do these guys do Z engines? I don't see them but I see no reason why they wouldn't.
Stupidflanderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #11849
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidflanderz View Post
Thanks much. I wish I knew it was that easy, I'd have looked harder.

Do these guys do Z engines? I don't see them but I see no reason why they wouldn't.
They don't source many Z engines, because the engine guy gets all his motors from Japan so anything that is also USDM isn't bothered with. But any swap you can think of they can do. They can certainly help you find a local Z engine though.

They can put 1JZ, 2JZ, RB, LSX, SR and VQ in anything and have done it for years, all that's left is for you to call, really.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #11850
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
In S14's and S13 with SCV's removed the KA has a balanced intake and exhaust. There is no need to compensate by running different intake and exhaust duration. Being a dual cam motor you can also mix and match cams to get different durations. The KA market is not as big as the SR to have on the shelf singles like the SR does.
Thank You! THAT was what I was looking for, but I am at a loss for 'SCV's'(stock valves?)

I was perusing the web video selections and found quite a few with KA cam swaps. Mostly it was stock motors with 248's and a few 264's and only the ones who actually rebuilt the motors for a higher state of tune had the 272's in them.

SR's: From my understanding, they come in both turbo, and non turbo. Turbo for JDM, sideways mounted non turbo USDM. SR cams are SR cams. With this said, is it a bad idea to consider a non turbo, high compression, hot cammed NA SR?