Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #91
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
laextreme5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Been doing a little thinking lately where i could put a pair of auxillary coolers. Used my awesome paint skills to depict my idea thus far. Ive always been a big fan of the ferrari f40, and ive been wanting to incorpate a few design features from it into the 240. A while back i decided i wanted to do the triple exhuast tip look from it. I also thought of today doing a naca duct on the quarter panel to feed air to a pair of coolers mounted vertical within the rear body below the tailights.

A plus side to this is bringing more air behind the car to lessen the low pressure area that causes drag on cars. So not only will i be drawing air from a fairly high pressure area, i will be disposing of it in the most effective area against the fight for less drag for more efficiency.

The red squares are the coolers, the three black circles exhaust tips, the blue square rear diffuser, and the yellow and orange depicts various tempertures of the air exting the various parts

qtr naca duct flow by lawrx, on Flickr

rear coolers flow by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:44 AM..
laextreme5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #92
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
No bumper?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #93
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
No bumper?
Frankly i forgot to mention it at all. Original plan was to just cut the bumper to contour around everything, but with the position of the coolers and how far out the bumper sticks back form the body i dont think it would be very visually pleasing. I may either make a flat panel to go where the rear bumper is, vs how the stock one sticks out, or not run one at all depending on clearance and ducting needed. Height wise im not sure i will have enough room between the taillights and top of rear diffuser to run the exhaust in the center and the two coolers. May have to ditch the tri tip exhaust and just run it off to the left side straight out.

If the rear panel id make is going to be cut all up any way there is no sense in making one just to cover up the sides, as i have to fit a license plate back there as well. So currently, who the fuck knows if i will run some form of a rear bumper, not a huge fan of cars without it, but i will have ducting, diffuser, exhaust etc higher up where most cars ive seen havent really cut into the rear body. SO i have no clue till i start fitting things up and see how it all looks.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #94
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Glad the villains rack mounts worked for you! I hadn't actually used them myself when I recommended them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #95
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^^ Those welds are better than mine. Damn i totally forgot about the car show at the Superdome. Slanging tires for Pepboys is taking to much of my free time.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #96
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Over the last few days i was able to get the everything bolted up, throw the stock suspension back on, and lower it down under it owns weight. The conclusion i have come to is this motor sits FUCKING LOW. The center of the heads sit even with my knee caps (I'm 6'1 for reference) needless to say its way down there.

IMG_1430 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1431 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1432 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1433 by lawrx, on Flickr
IMG_1435 by lawrx, on Flickr

Also swung by my dads to pick up and borrow some tools vs just buying my own right now. saving money is good, who cares if your using tools that aren't your own. Biggest thing i picked up tho was his tubing bender. Saved me a few hundred bucks from buying one, and i dont have to wait for one to get shipped in either. Week or so ago i ordered a tubing roller. How this differs from a bender is the roller will give the tubing a nice radius bend, where as the bender gives short specific angle bends. Roller will come in hand for various pieces i.e. strut tower bar, some smaller wall roll cage tie in points maybe etc. Also picked up from dad a few angle finders and a tool to hold in place the tubing while you tack in place. Pretty usefull little tool

IMG_1436 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1437 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1438 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1439 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_1442 by lawrx, on Flickr

I also have multiple parts on order currently, I'm quite excited. Heres a run down of what all is on order.

- Front and rear fenders
-Front and rear flares
-Roll cage tubing
-Bucket seat
-Hole saw bits to cut roll cage

Actual work itself on the car is going to slow over the next month or so as i have two large side jobs ill be under taking. So ill be tide up with those for a bit. They also are paying quite well so i should also in the mean time be able to get a few more parts ordered as well, namely rear inner and outer barrels to start mock up of the wheels.

Cant really measure for the fronts yet as i need the new knuckles, lca's and coilovers as well. So front mock is still a ways out. Hopefully my friend buys my Varis parts in the next 2 weeks as promised and ill be able to get the knuckles and such just mentioned on the way.

Busy times ahead. My bank account is really feeling it :/

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #97
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
I was wondering when your bank would feel this pain
Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #98
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I was wondering when your bank would feel this pain
Work hard play hard.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #99
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Had some unexpected free time today, so i cleaned up the garage a bit and threw out some things to make room for my buddys Cts-v that he is dropping off early this week for somebody work. Wait till y'all see this fucking thing.
untitled (1 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

Also took the time to use some spare materials i had laying around to sorta mock up how i want to do the front tube work. The outside bar will be joining the downbar/dashbar through the firewall and the two angled bars will be going through the cowl and connecting to the dash bar as well. I fell this will be a very sturdy, structurally sound design. Of course there will be some bars connecting these upper bars to the lower rail. Ill figure that out once i come to it, but i already have a few ideas.
untitled (4 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr
untitled (7 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

Also picked up some 1/2" conduit the other day to mock up and try out some ideas for the age before i bend the actual dom tubing for the first time. dad recommended it and said ti was a good way to try new angles and such.
untitled (8 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr
untitled (9 of 9)-3 by lawrx, on Flickr

Old 03-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #100
300ztt
Leaky Injector

300ztt is an unknown quantity at this point
Bro.. I am mind blown at how much your putting into this. Its crazy and i admire it! great job and ill be keeping posted. Best of luck and crazy ambition you got going! i'm rooting for ya haha
300ztt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #101
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ztt View Post
Bro.. I am mind blown at how much your putting into this. Its crazy and i admire it! great job and ill be keeping posted. Best of luck and crazy ambition you got going! i'm rooting for ya haha
Thanks man, it was either do a ground up build like this, or use the bit of cash i had set aside as a downpayment on a used 911 or gtr and be broke and unable to afford to modify it. I enjoy building cars just as much as i do driving them, so i chose the former. My wifes real estate it really picking up so maybe next year ill get me my 997 turbo 911
Old 03-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #102
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Borrowed some glass tools from work today to pull the windshield. Was going to do the qtr windows as well but didn't feel like fighting with them as i **** using the saw, decided to pull the hatch and some door gaskets as well. Also found a bit of rust under the windshield urethane, but not a big deal as it isn't bad at all.

Does anyone know where to buy some New Old Stock gaskets and trim pieces for an s13? I have a feeling its going to be a bitch locate some factory gaskets and such

Also got the car moved over as tomorrow the cats-v is getting dropped off, and she needs her space inside while i work on her.
untitled (1 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (4 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (8 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr
untitled (9 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (11 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

Also went to a cars and coffee this past sunday. Some lovely machinery, and also my attainable dream car, 997 911 turbo. Mint condition, stock, manual, and not a crazy color interior. Ugh much want.
untitled (4 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 6) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 6) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (4 of 6) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 6) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 6) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (1 of 6) by lawrx, on Flickr

Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #103
future
Post Whore!

Wait so you built a 199(X) 240sx instead of buying a 911......

I'm all for building cars and all but damn. I would have 100% wentry with the later choice. But that's probably why I'm not rich
Old 03-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #104
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Wait so you built a 199(X) 240sx instead of buying a 911......

I'm all for building cars and all but damn. I would have 100% wentry with the later choice. But that's probably why I'm not rich
Believe me, I'm not rich by no means either. But it was the finically right choice. My baby is due early June. Id rather pick up a cheap used truck like we need with cash, get a long term project car, then have a sweet sports car and be car broke, unable to mod, unable to take it anywhere because of cost, on top of first born child addiotnal cost.

In a years time we will have an idea of the extra cost of the child and can budget for such, should be able to pay off the wife car and have enough set aside for a good down payment on a 911. Then ill have a truck to haul/tow with, a weekend/track day full on "racecar" 240x and a daily 911 turbo. Then in the next few years ill probably have to buy the wife a used aston martin vantage because she keeps saying i get my dream car she gets to get hers too.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #105
future
Post Whore!

Those two cars you are talking about definitely puts you in the upper class

And lastly I would not ever daily a 911. Maintenance alone would keep me from that. Then leads me to the same pointmonth thus is why Im not rich lol
Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #106
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
My S13 Build : LS swap, Corvette transaxle, ITB, Widebody, Do everything car

Try Nissan Race Shop / Fontana Nissan for trim pieces, moulding, etc.

They are a Vendor on here and give a decent discount.

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #107
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Those two cars you are talking about definitely puts you in the upper class

And lastly I would not ever daily a 911. Maintenance alone would keep me from that. Then leads me to the same pointmonth thus is why Im not rich lol
Im definately not upper class lol Ive yet to look into maintenance cost, but i cant imagine its that much more than your average car. Plenty of people daily drive 911s. Hell Porches commercials propogate them as being dd's. The one with the yellow 911 comes to mind, calling it a school bus then loading the front with gardening supplies. Regardless, ill still have my truck i would drive once or twice a week. Little extra in maintenance im willing to pay to own a 911. Its worth it to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees_Garage View Post
Try Nissan Race Shop / Fontana Nissan for trim pieces, moulding, etc.

They are a Vendor on here and give a decent discount.
Thanks i will check the out
Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 PM   #108
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Well, the cause of no progress on the 240 is here. Decided to make a separate build thread for it to keep mine uncluttered in here.
http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=83789
untitled (2 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:46 AM..
Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #109
future
Post Whore!

Ew x10

Back to the 240 lol
Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #110
Heywood Jablomie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Heywood Jablomie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That thing is going to spin tire like a sumbitch, all that torque and no usable tire lol. I dig it though.
Heywood Jablomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #111
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Haha it's a buddy of mines. It will be gone in a months time. Doing some fender and fitment work on it.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #112
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

So the other day i was doing a bit of thinking on my tire sizes. The current plan is

Front 315/30/18 18x12.5

Rear 335/30/18 18x14

I fully intend to put this car through its paces on the road course and other various events. But at the same time is purpose down to its core is just a fun, badass looking car i can hoon in on the streets, to meets, and various events.

With that being said a big inspiration to this build is the gt300 racing class put of japan. I love the way the cars look with their raised fender hips and large slicks and aero. One thing i have noticed is they are all running the same size front and rear tire (to my knowledge). So it got me thinking, logically it makes sense, tire rotations, swapping front to back etc to keep rear tire overwear to a minimum from over spinning etc.

So im considering just going batshit insane 18x14 335/30s all around. Will give it that big tired wide hipped look i love from the gt300 racing class, better tire life from being able to rotate tires, and and its something i believe know one has ran width wise up front as well. \

I know someone brought up getting enough heat intot the tires to actually make use of them. But i have some big plans aero wise to generate some actually useable/measureable downforce that will def get me the heat and use out of the size of the tires il be running.

130_0311_02_zoom+2003_subaru_impreza_sti_cusco_gt3 00+front_left_view by lawrx, on Flickr

Shift-GT300-IS-054 by lawrx, on Flickr

subaru_brz_gt300_front_by_dangeruss-d6bq6sl by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Old 03-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #113
future
Post Whore!

I run square on my Z33 for a reason and I definitely agree with your choice on square
Old 03-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #114
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i don't think any gt300 or even gt500 cars ran wheels that wide.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #115
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
i don't think any gt300 or even gt500 cars ran wheels that wide.
I think they run 13J, but could be wrong. Regardless those cars are simply inspiration, not necessarily guidelines im going by. Just the look im after to an extent.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #116
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Piss poor update, but it is one. While i had my friends caddy's wheel off I measured to see the overall height of the tire, and much to my surprise it's the same overall diameter as the tires i intend to run. So I'm sure you know what happened next. I rolled the wheel over to the back of the 240 and good god. These son bitches are going to be huge. Its exactly the look I'm going for. Cant wait to see what it looks like with all the planned aero and wide body.:eyebrows:eyebrows

Currently still waiting on wide body panels to come in as well as roll cage tubing. Also have a seat on order, which is a ways out still as its coming from the land of the rising sun. I hate waiting on parts.....
untitled (1 of 1) by lawrx, on Flickr

Last edited by laextreme5; 03-14-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #117
future
Post Whore!

Oh god

Good luck
Old 03-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #118
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Oh god

Good luck
Won't be that bad, looks even bigger being out of the wheel well like it is. Although the height still shouldn't be downplayed, it's tall haha
Old 03-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #119
future
Post Whore!

I'm all for compensation but damn
Old 03-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #120
laextreme5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I'm all for compensation but damn
Lol no compensation, im not a douche trying to prove something. Building this car for me, and i simply enjoy sharing the progress with others.