Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:31 PM   #91
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways_In_SD
All you haters are fuggin weak sauce!!!

This is a pro-to-type,

That's why it looks like shit, and isn't "optimized" for "flow characteristics" and "volumetric efficency"

If you're not impressed, just say "neat" and move on, cause this is just the beginning stages.

And not everyone is sponsored by Parents Inc. so it keeps our projects low-cost, and low-tech. WOO HOO broke-as-fuck tuning!!

and how are u adding/helping the thread??? if you have nothing to say y dont you stfu? there has been approx 2 pages of discussion until you jumped in and made yourself look stupid.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #92
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This rocks: http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_...roducts_id=113
Old 12-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #93
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually, he's been helping me with it all along, giving me imput, ideas and such. It would appear that you are the one not helping... so why don't U STFU! sounds good to me.

Quote:
The theory anyways is to make the plenum as big as the engine bay will allow so that it will practically be like open atmosphere.
Actually, that is not the idea at all. You don't know much about fluid dynamics do you? An incorrectly sized plenum will fuck up your intake air flow characteristics enough that you can lose a lot of power. There are a TON of things that need to be considered when making a plenum. if you are boosting, it will cover up some mistakes, but not many. On n/a, it's got to be perfect to make any reasonable power.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 PM   #94
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS14
Actually, he's been helping me with it all along, giving me imput, ideas and such. It would appear that you are the one not helping... so why don't U STFU! sounds good to me.
you want help? heres a helping advice, the things gonna choke but you can figure that out for urself

and who ever said we were hating???? strange how poeple comprehend things
Old 12-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #95
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
riiiiiiight. since you seem to know this as a fact, can you please post up a dyno chart and pics of these TB's on a ka? that'd be great, thanks.

If you can't complete the request above......

STFU

Nobody (except you and your honduh brother) share your opinions. So why don't you do us all a favor and leave.

On a side note: you've got to be an idiot to think that 4 individual TB's with the same size throttle plate diameter as the runners is going to "choke". hahahah
Old 12-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #96
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS14
Actually, that is not the idea at all. You don't know much about fluid dynamics do you? An incorrectly sized plenum will fuck up your intake air flow characteristics enough that you can lose a lot of power. There are a TON of things that need to be considered when making a plenum. if you are boosting, it will cover up some mistakes, but not many. On n/a, it's got to be perfect to make any reasonable power.
Did you even read what I wrote? Do you even know the point of an air box on an ITB setup? It's only purpose is to provide an enclosed area to draw air from (and in the case of a MAF to meter air) and that's it.

In a regular maifold you need to tune for the intake pulses etc. to provide optimal flow, in an ITB'd car you don't because it's the ITB's that you want controlling flow. If you are going to use an airbox you actually want as little interference from the airbox as possible, including pressure pulses. And the larger the air box the weaker the pressure pulses will be, which is what you want.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #97
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

I thought you were talking about regular single tb on huge intake mani. My bad. MAF sensors are quite inefficient to start with, so making a plenum just to use one seems stupid. Might as well run open tb's with a map sensor. It's just extra weight that you don't need. If you are trying to achieve open atmosphere conditions, why not just run open?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #98
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Well besides running a MAF, you can duct it to provide cold air. Cold air is still important.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #99
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
now if i remember correctly there needs to be some sort of computer controlled valving for letting intake air in besides just adjusting the amount the butterflies are open. (you know, how the car revs up and down on its own compensating for engine/weather/etc conditions) i cant think of the name of it but...
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #100
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz
now if i remember correctly there needs to be some sort of computer controlled valving for letting intake air in besides just adjusting the amount the butterflies are open. (you know, how the car revs up and down on its own compensating for engine/weather/etc conditions) i cant think of the name of it but...
Idle Air Control valve?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #101
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
idle air control should not be a problem with a map car. The slight opening of the throttle bodies should compensate for that. But I don't think the IACV has been removed?

I like the pioneering though. All you haters go jerk off somewhere. Hate, or tell him "We told you so" when he's done with it and it doesn't work.

I have friends with ITB setups on different cars, they all sound badass, and make good power. I'm patiently waiting to see what comes out of RBS14's project.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #102
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

yes, IACV is gone too. EVERYTHING on stock intake manifold is gone. As well as every part of the stock intake system, save the 6" of manifold.

The MegaSquirt uses a map sensor, which measures barametric (sp?) pressure. MS also uses air temp sensor. Between the two, it can idle the car wonderfully. The stock ECU basically has a mind of its own. MS does exactly as you tell it to, so no fluctuating idle, no self adjusting a/f ratio, and no self adjusting timing etc. MS2 is coming out soon, and it has a setup where you can set a target a/f and it will hold to it. Pretty sweet. And with MS you can make another more conservative fuel/ignition map that MS defaults to if it detects knock on your regular fuel/ignition map. [/off topic]
Old 12-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #103
1sikgti
Zilvia Junkie

1sikgti has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to 1sikgti
I noticed your not to far from me an was curious if you could tell me more if this works on an obd2 s14 or not? An if so,would you be willing to build me a setup an install,provided I brnig you the parts in the near future?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #104
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Yes, this will work on any S14. and MegaSquirt will work on anything from a lawnmower to a Ferrari F40. I've still got a lot of work to do on this setup, but once I'm done and it's running well, we'll talk.

UPDATE: I just finished some (2) "L" brackets that bolt to the TB's and to the mani. They make it even more solid than before. There is no way these TB's are gonna flex and/or come out of the couplers.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 PM   #105
1sikgti
Zilvia Junkie

1sikgti has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to 1sikgti
Ok,sweet I like the sound of that.Keep me posted cause after my next paint job in a month I wanna do this,you seem to know how to build it an do the ms well,plus I Am only 2 hours from you.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #106
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikgti
you seem to know how to build it an do the ms
hahah I might come off that way but I've got a LOT of stuff I still to learn about it.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:10 AM   #107
stock4door
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
stock4door is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stock4door
That is a tight setup, hope to see you make it function soon.

To all the downlookers: I have seen more than one KA24DE with 4 throttle setups like this on them before. Running anywhere from 40mm up to 55mm on both ka24e and ka24de. Most of these setups were running carbs also, mikunis or webers, all of them in Datsun 510's. Pretty much all of them make more horsepower than any KA24DE I have ever seen running oem style EFI, even built ones with all the bolts ons. A friend just dynoed a bone stock 92 KA24de with stock exhaust manifold on it. Running 45mm weber carbs with no chokes in them. Made 157 to the rear wheels and pulled all the way up over 6000rpm. Anything over 45-48mm is gonna kill the driveability of that engine hardcore. Perfectly useless for anything you are gonna be likely to do in a 240sx. I would agree that anything smaller than what you are gonna be using would be a bad idea. But 43-48mm is gonna work perfectly fine. Proven time and time again, just gotta look outside of the 240sx world sometimes. And forgot looking at the honda stuff, totally pointless, totally different design.

A very famous Nissan engine builder in Sacramento California called B.C. Gerolamy has gotten 200+ horse to the flywheel before using just 44mm mikuni carbs, pace setter header, and some port work.

And these are all carb setups. Imagine what could be done with some quality time on a dyno with an EFI system.

As for the couplings holding the itb's on... People do that all the time to hold motorcycle carbs or itb's onto car engines. Setups are actually sold to make connections like this work. Works perfectly fine. They don't weigh very much at all, and don't do much other than operate some throttles. I have seen pics of o.g. tomei ITB motors using silicone couplers on production pieces that they actually sold and are still being circulated on yahoo of Japan all the time. If the JDM tomei peeps did it, why can't we do it in the U.S.?

Danny
Old 12-09-2004, 07:04 AM   #108
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
i see no issue with running the silicone couplers if it can be held solidly with an L bracket or something else that keeps them from wiggling when you stomp the throttle and pull on the linkage. the thing about the idle however is you may get away with it in california but you need some form of idle control like that. you need to have control to step up your idle when you turn the a/c on, turn the wheel and load the system with your power steering or just have a heavy electrical load. you need to be able to control the cold start idle enrichment/warm ups and things of the sort, thats my only real issue with some setup like this. if it was just a track only car thats one thing but these are all things to consider on a street car...
Old 12-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #109
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Danny, Very interesting stuff. Thanks a ton.

Tastyratz: I'm gonna have P.S. But no a/c or heavy electrical loads. It doesn't get all that cold here. And when it does, MS will compensate for it, via the air temp sensor.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #110
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz
i see no issue with running the silicone couplers if it can be held solidly with an L bracket or something else that keeps them from wiggling when you stomp the throttle and pull on the linkage. the thing about the idle however is you may get away with it in california but you need some form of idle control like that. you need to have control to step up your idle when you turn the a/c on, turn the wheel and load the system with your power steering or just have a heavy electrical load. you need to be able to control the cold start idle enrichment/warm ups and things of the sort, thats my only real issue with some setup like this. if it was just a track only car thats one thing but these are all things to consider on a street car...
You can try using a small piece of sheetmetal to make a blockoff plate for the stock IACV unit and then T it off into the ITB's. Same concept as a remote oil filter system. If you look at RBS14's pics you can see he JB'd the injector holes on the ITB's. Instead of plugging those up you could try using those as ports for the IACV maybe.

Sorry, I suck at explaining shit...........
Old 12-09-2004, 03:35 PM   #111
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

I'm not using aicv. simple as that.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #112
TokyoNights
Zilvia FREAK!

TokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to TokyoNights
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_pr...itb/index.html
Old 12-09-2004, 10:24 PM   #113
TokyoNights
Zilvia FREAK!

TokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really niceTokyoNights is just really nice
Btw rbs14 think the spacing between the busa itbs is the same as the gixxer? I can get a set for cheap and I might try this with the busa ones since they might flow more.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #114
TokyoNights
Zilvia FREAK!

nvm it should be close enough.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #115
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

I have no idea on hyabusa TB spacing. Only get ones that are spaced farther apart than gsxr ones. Then you can run a shorter mani.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #116
TokyoNights
Zilvia FREAK!

I got a quote back on the busa ITBs= 1.65 inch, in mm I think they are 40 or 41. That cant be right
Old 12-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #117
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

yea, 1.65 is 41.91mm. That sounds smaller than what I've heard. But honestly, set silviadriver's factually unfounded comments aside. Think about it. GSXR tb's are 1mm smaller than the inside ID of stock runners. That is damn near perfect. with bigger TB's you'd need to have a custom mani made to make use of the bigger throttle plate diameter, and have your head ported to match the bigger runners. Unless you are doing that, it doesn't make sense to use bigger tb's. The GSXR tb's have a 50mm inlet that funnels down to a 43mm throttle plate. Unless you are doing all of the above modifications, the ammount of air is either restricted at the throttle plate, or after it when the air has to enter a runner with a smaller diameter than the throttle plate. I personally would rather have all of the air going past the throttle plate getting used, instead of more air than the runner can flow getting by the throttle plate and then creating turbulence when the air has to funnel down to a smaller diameter runner. Hope all that makes sense. And don't forget, GSXR tb's have been used successfully on a couple different ka's and everyone who has done them has reported a HUGE gain in topend, and a noticeable gain in the lower powerband.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #118
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
That car is going to be LOUD. Are you planning to change anything else? (i.e. cams)
Old 12-11-2004, 06:23 PM   #119
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, especially with my header, high flow 3" cat, and custom 3" catback with no resonator. It's already loud on the exhaust end, now the intake end will be just as loud. Can't wait.

I've got 91 cams in there for now. I'm going to be running a much more agressive pair of cams in the future, just not sure what. JWT, PDM, or a custom pair of cams.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #120
SR240DET
Zilvia FREAK!

SR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud ofSR240DET has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SR240DET
good luck RBS14..... iv got the same setup as you... i know exactly what your talking about... did you get my PM?
Closed Thread