Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #1201
homeslicej2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
homeslicej2 is making a name for him/her selfhomeslicej2 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just wanted to make sure I'm doing what's best for longevity.
homeslicej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #1202
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Got all of my XRP fittings welded onto the water pump and thermostat housing. I obviously hacked off the -16 threaded male from the thermostat housing to make room for the XRP clamshell port. Then the two -8 ports for the heater hoses.

Upper port welded on and mocked up with a 90 degree -16 clamshell fitting.

I also came up with a bulkhead design for the heater line connection at the firewall. 1/2" aluminum plate with a -8 straight cut threaded center. Then a 5/8" round tube welded to the back side. This tube will actually get cut down quite a bit. It will then attach to the plastic tube coming off the heater box on the inside of the vehicle via a rubber hose. I will also need to cut down the plastic tubes as far as I can to squeeze it all in there. I still need to thread the outside of the 5/8" tube. I will use a large washer and nut threaded onto it to sandwich the bulkhead to the firewall. Lastly I will powder coat the bulkheads black.

With 90 degree XRP -8 clamshell fittings:

Mocked up in the car. Note: I may not use the 90 degree ports... I also have 45 degree ports, straight ports etc. to tryout and see which is going to work best with the motor in there. I just tossed them on there for picture sake.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #1203
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Wow, that really looks awesome man. Welds look great. Looking forward to checking it out next weekend!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #1204
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Looks great Toby, Any more pics or info on how your doing the fittings on the back of the heater core?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #1205
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Welds look amazing. Was that your welds?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #1206
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Wow, that really looks awesome man. Welds look great. Looking forward to checking it out next weekend!
Yeah, should be good times next Saturday evening. I informed the wife that she might as well pretend I don't exist that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
Looks great Toby, Any more pics or info on how your doing the fittings on the back of the heater core?
Once I get to that point I will have pics and info as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Welds look amazing. Was that your welds?
Unfortunately not... I don't have a TIG yet. My local machine shop did the welds for me.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #1207
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wooow that is amazing Toby... Love it
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #1208
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So envious! For my next build I may adapt these just because of the simplicity of connecting and disconnecting them.

Did you watch the machine shop cut and weld the joints? I'm wondering just realized that the cuts have to be dead-on to make sure nothing is crooked. Not something I can do at home with the angle grinder.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #1209
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
AWESOME! I need to get mine finished up once I get the car back from cage builder. Very cool idea on the heater hose. I will have more fittings I need in the near future as well. Keep the updates coming!
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #1210
500Coupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
500Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Oh wow, this is such a clean setup with all the clamshells. By far one of my favorite builds right now...you do such clean work too. Keep it up!

Build Blog
500Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #1211
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Toby turns modding a car into an art....
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #1212
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
I'm loving those clamshell fittings. Can't wait to see more progress Toby
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #1213
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
When do u expect for it to be running?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #1214
sydwyz95
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
sydwyz95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your builds are unreal!! looking great, excited to see the end result!
sydwyz95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #1215
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstl_pete View Post
Did you watch the machine shop cut and weld the joints? I'm wondering just realized that the cuts have to be dead-on to make sure nothing is crooked. Not something I can do at home with the angle grinder.
The only thing that needed to be cut was the -16 male threaded end off the thermostat housing. I did that in a vice with a hacksaw. I then trued it by sticking 80 grit sand paper onto a piece of 3/4" MDF and then running the part back and forth on the board. The two bulkhead parts were cut by them and simply welded together. Both parts were actually milled from larger material. The round 5/8" tube actually started out as solid 3/4" rod and the round face was milled from 1/2" plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
When do u expect for it to be running?
I'm shooting for the car to be "completed" mid July or sooner. Probably won't have the K's aero on it though.... just won't have enough dough for paint work, even at my discount.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #1216
sr20drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
sr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nicesr20drifter1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews

This is amazing. I hope I get a ride in that bad boy when you're done
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #1217
derux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
derux is making a name for him/her selfderux is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
So on this hose you need the crimping tool.. correct??
derux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #1218
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
I dig it!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #1219
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
looks expensive. I'm sure the 90degree bend doesn't affect things all that much. I had a similar idea in mind for the s14 heater box but I have yet to get my hands on a non broken spare one to fab some mock ups with. If I could have someone just cnc some water/chemical safe aluminium/steel/whatever metal wont rust due to water, water wetter. to where I can just screw them on like oem into the heater box by their base plates and have a cleaner way to integrate them into the firewall without the huge bulkhead that would be most ideal for me.

Then again I just want working a/c before I'm worried about showing off my engine bay.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #1220
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20drifter1 View Post
This is amazing. I hope I get a ride in that bad boy when you're done
Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derux View Post
So on this hose you need the crimping tool.. correct??
Correct, the HS-79 hose can only use the crimp ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
looks expensive. I'm sure the 90degree bend doesn't affect things all that much. I had a similar idea in mind for the s14 heater box but I have yet to get my hands on a non broken spare one to fab some mock ups with. If I could have someone just cnc some water/chemical safe aluminium/steel/whatever metal wont rust due to water, water wetter. to where I can just screw them on like oem into the heater box by their base plates and have a cleaner way to integrate them into the firewall without the huge bulkhead that would be most ideal for me.

Then again I just want working a/c before I'm worried about showing off my engine bay.
Why would the 90 degree affect anything?

It sounds like the S13 box differs from the S14. There is no where to attach anything onto the actual S13 box. It's all molded plastic ports that use 4 screws to attach the base to the box... then 5/8" tubes off of the molded base plate up to the firewall. The problem with the S13 one at least is that the bypass valve is part of the molded base. As for yours I'm sure a machine shop can easily CNC whatever you need made. Hasn't your car been up and running? Do you not have heat and A/C now?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #1221
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Hey omikron I have a spare core if you want it that's not broken its a 95. I believe 96 and up changed the heat core design that incorporates the valve in the plastic nipple that attaches to the heater core so you would not be able to change that I guess.

blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #1222
EazyS13
Zilvia Member

EazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just read this build.... you are my hero lol. Sick build bro!! Clean work too!!
EazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #1223
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Hey omikron I have a spare core if you want it that's not broken its a 95. I believe 96 and up changed the heat core design that incorporates the valve in the plastic nipple that attaches to the heater core so you would not be able to change that I guess.

That's exactly what the S13 one looks like.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #1224
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Yeah, my old setup was all Earls... nice stuff naturally. I had zero complaints. But the XRP stuff is better and actually cheaper... with WAAAYYY more options.

How is it better exactly?
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #1225
derux
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Correct, the HS-79 hose can only use the crimp ends.
So do you have that tool if I would order a hose from you??
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #1226
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockbee View Post
How is it better exactly?
Better options and cheaper... and at least as good of quality as Earls, Russels, Aeroquip etc.

Quote:
So do you have that tool if I would order a hose from you??
I do not have the crimper. Each hose size takes a different crimping die. Then the HS-79 hose takes a different die than the HS-79 Hypalon. So just to do four popular hose sizes for those two hoses would cost me over $3000... and that's not even the baller crimper, just the manual. The dies are $210 each, so it would be even more if I wanted to do other sizes besides the four popular sizes. I just don't think I'm going to do enough XRP business to come even close to justifying the purchase.

The good thing is that you can send your hose to them and they will crimp it for $6.75.... so two crimps for $6.75. You would simply get your lines all mocked up and cut to length, then ship them off to XRP. And since the hose end is clockable even after crimped, then you do not have to worry about how the fitting is clocked in the hose when you send it to them.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #1227
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:

yeah I'm looking for a 97-98 model. The digital climate control didn't come in zenki's so it obviously has no way to modulate the heat in a zenki climate control system. So my cc is pretty much just for looks and defrost at the moment.

My a/c and shit isn't hooked up, but all of the pieces to the system had the tabs broken due to multiple removals of the engine harness and dashboard so shit's just hanging back there. If I had the 97-98 system complete I could take it apart and have what I need cnc'd out, that valve could also be replicated and I should be able to retrofit it inside of there.

So much work for something someone wont see. lol
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #1228
derux
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
The good thing is that you can send your hose to them and they will crimp it for $6.75.... so two crimps for $6.75. You would simply get your lines all mocked up and cut to length, then ship them off to XRP. And since the hose end is clockable even after crimped, then you do not have to worry about how the fitting is clocked in the hose when you send it to them.
So is that what you are going to be doing??
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #1229
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post

So much work for something someone wont see. lol
Well thats what I thing matters, little stuff that you would do that almost no one will really notice. All those little things makes you stand out from all the ghetto rigged 240's.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #1230
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
So is that what you are going to be doing??
Yes!

Quote:
Well thats what I thing matters, little stuff that you would do that almost no one will really notice. All those little things makes you stand out from all the ghetto rigged 240's.
I live by this way of thinking.... maybe a little too much.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds