Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #1231
sr20surfin

Trader Rating: (0)
sr20surfin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this makes me want to start all over again, this car is going to be amazing once again
sr20surfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #1232
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I hate you Toby just because of your builds awesomeness!
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #1233
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Almost all of my KRC product showed up today. I have always loved this stuff.... great craftsmanship, looks sick and will perform at the top. Norm over at KRC had hooked me up a few months ago with an alternator bracket that isn't advertised anywhere. KRC was actually commissioned to make them for the V8 Supercar series in Australia. He still had some left over and let me buy one. I informed Scottie about it and I think he ended up getting one also.

So today I received their brand new aluminum power steering pump. I guess these new ones are the bees knees. I obviously won't put it through its paces as much as a lot of guys would, but by the time I would of bought a new GM unit, pulley and reservoir etc, it wasn't all that much more for the KRC setup... and it looks a thousand times better. I also received the mounting bracket for the pump to bolt directly to the head, their LS idler-tensioner, LS 6" pulley for the pump and their custom LS AN steam ports for the heads. I also have their surge tank on the way, but it was on back-order.

I love the attached reservoir for the power steering pump:

Bracket on the head:

Mounted up, as about as easy as you can get:

Fixed idler-tensioner:

About done with the front accessories. As stated before, I will worry about A/C probably this next winter. I just need to go pick up an alternator that works with the bracket and fab up a way to mount the surge tank to the front of the passenger side head. The surge tank will be my high point in the coolant system:

I got a little time to test fit the heater box assembly into the car. And I say test fit because I knew it wasn't going to fit since I had to hammer the shit out of the front of the transmission tunnel... which it didn't. The vent for the floor had to be removed. I never have it on floor mode anyway.... and besides, it will still shoot air onto the floor, just not as directional.

I started to cut that angle section out until I quickly realized that section just unclips, bonus.... although I really like to cut shit up.

It actually fits perfect now, barely. Below are the plastic hard lines that I will cut down so there is room for my custom bulkheads inside the cabin. I will most likely need to cut them all the way down to the lip. I will then grind the lip down and the raised bar that forms a "T" with said lip. So that little 1-1/4" section left over will be where I attach my rubber jumper hoses which will attach to my bulkheads. With it bolted in the car you can see there is plenty of room to work with in there to attach some hoses:

Once I get time I will get the bulkheads coated in black, then mod the plastic tubes and get everything all mounted up.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 10-12-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #1234
deadghost
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
deadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Your engine and chassis reminds me of this mixed Japanese/Caucasian chick from class. Beautiful yet proportional with all good things from both worlds.

IG Holy_khal

Last edited by deadghost; 02-10-2012 at 04:45 AM..
deadghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #1235
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
did you get that motor fairly new? it's super clean... or did you just clean it up? Just curious

Starting to look really nice man...
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #1236
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
did you get that motor fairly new? it's super clean... or did you just clean it up? Just curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
I researched the costs of doing so and a new LS3 crate motor isn't as bad as I thought it would be. So LS3 it is!
Post numero uno!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #1237
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadghost View Post
Your engine and chassis reminds me of this mixed Japanese/Caucasian chick from class. Beautiful yet proportional with all good things from both worlds.
I want to see pics of said chick.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #1238
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
I want to see pics of said chick.
Ditto for said pics.
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #1239
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Hey I know some people have said you have spent a lot on this build, but I'm curious how much more NEW business has your company seen from this build? I'm assuming it has increased, so the cost at some point is irrelevant for this build since you will gain far more in new business
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1240
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Hey I know some people have said you have spent a lot on this build, but I'm curious how much more NEW business has your company seen from this build? I'm assuming it has increased, so the cost at some point is irrelevant for this build since you will gain far more in new business
LOL, I wish it were that simple. Maybe if I was a performance shop or similar, then I could maybe see it. But I'm a high-end car audio shop... so this type of press probably does me zero good. The only thing it does is display my sig every time I post.... which may get me business if it's someone that doesn't already know that I sell the stuff. Now will it help sell KRC, Sikky, etc... maybe. But that doesn't do me any good. Now the fact that I'm an XRP dealer, sure I may get some business from that. But I've only been a dealer for 3 weeks... so that remains to be seen. The amount of audio business I do on here compared to my storefront is minute.... probably not even 1%.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1241
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I bought that KRC pump a couple weeks ago and they said there was no mount available for it. Does that mount space the pump for Fbody accessories?
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #1242
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I got a little time to test fit the heater box assembly into the car. And I say test fit because I knew it wasn't going to fit since I had to hammer the shit out of the front of the transmission tunnel... which it didn't. The vent for the floor had to be removed. I never have it on floor mode anyway.... and besides, it will still shoot air onto the floor, just not as directional.
Same issue here with my 4l60e, the bell housing on it is so big we had to take turns with the 5lb sledge for about an hour!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #1243
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anderson View Post
I bought that KRC pump a couple weeks ago and they said there was no mount available for it. Does that mount space the pump for Fbody accessories?
They shoud have one. What are you trying to put the pump on?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #1244
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I want that freaking PS pump
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #1245
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
They shoud have one. What are you trying to put the pump on?
LS1 with Fbody accessories.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #1246
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Quote:
Well I have one thru them and from Tobys pics he does as well. I us call them back.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #1247
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Well I have one thru them and from Tobys pics he does as well. I us call them back.
Yeah. I looked up the part number from Toby's but there is nothing on the web for it. I was wanting to know if the spacing is good for Fbody accessories. Toby is not using Fbody accessories.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #1248
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
that PS pump is amazing.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #1249
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. I looked up the part number from Toby's but there is nothing on the web for it. I was wanting to know if the spacing is good for Fbody accessories. Toby is not using Fbody accessories.
The mount I have will do both Y-body and F-body. Mine are Y-body accessories, so I did not use the spacers that come with the bracket. For use on F-body it comes with four nice machined 5/8" aluminum spacers to space it off the head. The idler tensioner for example is specific for either Y-body or F-body though.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #1250
Briou
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Briou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just read through the WHOLE thread.....might I say I love the LS and your attention to detail...it is people like you that give me the inspiration to work on my car....just wish I had the funds....college kid=dirty messy engine bay and stock sr.....though I am very fortunate to have that....keep it up man, can't wait to see it finished!!
Briou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #1251
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Love all the KRC stuff Tobby, do you happen to know if they still have that alternator bracket. I would pick it up asap, would go nicely with all my KRC stuff..
Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #1252
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Just a heads up I would recommend you paint the dipstick or it will begin to rust. If you ever find a dip stick that replaces it lmk.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #1253
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briou View Post
Just read through the WHOLE thread.....might I say I love the LS and your attention to detail...it is people like you that give me the inspiration to work on my car....just wish I had the funds....college kid=dirty messy engine bay and stock sr.....though I am very fortunate to have that....keep it up man, can't wait to see it finished!!
Thanks man! I was very fortunate during my college years... I had the same job I do now. So I went to school full time and worked 60 hours/week. My schedule was flexible, so I was able to maintain a nice job and 20 hours of class. Which meant I had the funds to build projects like I do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_T View Post
Love all the KRC stuff Tobby, do you happen to know if they still have that alternator bracket. I would pick it up asap, would go nicely with all my KRC stuff..
I assume the bracket is only made for the Y-body accessories... so you may need to talk to Norm at KRC and see if he has a solution. It may just need some different spacers to space it out enough for your F-body setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Just a heads up I would recommend you paint the dipstick or it will begin to rust. If you ever find a dip stick that replaces it lmk.
Noted, thanks!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #1254
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I know this question is a little late, but did you ever consider doing the LS swap in another s-chassis? You know like buying a $1000 shell or something, and restoring it to your standards. I'd like to see more 240's transform into something that will last a long time vs being on the road to the scrapyard.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #1255
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
I know this question is a little late, but did you ever consider doing the LS swap in another s-chassis? You know like buying a $1000 shell or something, and restoring it to your standards. I'd like to see more 240's transform into something that will last a long time vs being on the road to the scrapyard.
LOL, so you want me to be a savior of 240's? That wouldn't make any sense considering I am more than happy with the current chassis. Buying a $1000 shell and restoring it to my standards with the LS3 that I am doing now would be $60,000+... and I would end up with the same damn car.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1256
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
LOL, so you want me to be a savior of 240's? That wouldn't make any sense considering I am more than happy with the current chassis. Buying a $1000 shell and restoring it to my standards with the LS3 that I am doing now would be $60,000+... and I would end up with the same damn car.
Hah! Well I was implying that maybe you'd go to an s13 hatch or an s14. Something a little different, but to the same desired effect. But then again now that I think about it, could we live in a world with TWO Broadfield built cars, probably not.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1257
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Hah! Well I was implying that maybe you'd go to an s13 hatch or an s14. Something a little different, but to the same desired effect. But then again now that I think about it, could we live in a world with TWO Broadfield built cars, probably not.
I got ya... I was actually considering buying a 240z a couple years ago and selling this car. But then I decided to keep it and do the LS3 swap.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #1258
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

IMO my build is the bastard child of Broadfield's lol. It will share very similar parts, same color, similar powertrain but built for totally different purposes. Toby's went to Harvard. Mine went to the local Votech. I really want to make it to the next Broadfield meet to see this car in person.

But IMO it would be hard pressed to match this build again.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1259
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Damn. Broadfield Z would've been outta this world
Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #1260
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
IMO my build is the bastard child of Broadfield's lol. It will share very similar parts, same color, similar powertrain but built for totally different purposes. Toby's went to Harvard. Mine went to the local Votech. I really want to make it to the next Broadfield meet to see this car in person.

But IMO it would be hard pressed to match this build again.
If you do come to the cookout I could only hope you would bring your car? Since mine was out of commission this past cookout, Damon's and Kyle's got the baller parking spot in my driveway. If you come out we could push those punks out of the way and make room for some white coupes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
Damn. Broadfield Z would've been outta this world
I was thinking the same thing. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I wouldn't get dick($) for my car compared to what I had into it. So I did the next logical thing... dumped a lot more money into it

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds