Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #1231
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
turbob16ef is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I'm picking up an r154 with 1j housing for 500. I know of another guy wants 500 buts it's 7m housing.
I've been kinda thinking of doing z33 trans. I find them usually for about 600ish for cd009. "Supposedly" just as strong as v160. I just want to kinda wait. And find people that have actually used/abused them.
turbob16ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #1232
BoostedVR4

Trader Rating: (0)
BoostedVR4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbob16ef View Post
I'm picking up an r154 with 1j housing for 500. I know of another guy wants 500 buts it's 7m housing.
I've been kinda thinking of doing z33 trans. I find them usually for about 600ish for cd009. "Supposedly" just as strong as v160. I just want to kinda wait. And find people that have actually used/abused them.
Lots of guys in here talk about abusing the 350z tranny: After market 6 speed swap IN HERE!!

Looking at my picture, how do we make it fit in a 240sx? Other than hacking up the tunnel and console?
BoostedVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #1233
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Shorten the shifter as much as possible, I think you can shorten them a good 4in if I recall right. I know I read somewhere to we're the xterra shifter assembly is a possibility. But can't remember. Be awhile, back when I was thinking bout this for my sr.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #1234
BoostedVR4

This is taken from the ebay ad:
Quote:
The sample picture with the tape measure is of a shortened 370Z shifter linkage 'as short as it will go' bolted to the transmission. the measurement is from the bell housing mating surface to the center of where the shifter will stick out. 34.5"

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #1235
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Oh. Lol. I was thinking that was stock, which makes sense now that ima actually and and typing. Yeah, that def is a problem. I don't know how a custom bent/extended shift rod would be under the plastics.

Who's car was that, had an sr With is moved back into the firewall like 6". Weld racing? They had a pivot setup. Im going to see if Ivan find pics. But don't think it's really oem look friendly.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #1236
kaking
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (7)
kaking is making a name for him/her selfkaking is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Where should i look for Used and/or reasonable priced parts for my 2j? I need to pick up:
* downpipe for the stock twins
* shifter for w58 trans
* proper motor oil, trans fluid, coolant, and filter

Please let me know what you can. Thanks guys
kaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #1237
turbob16ef
Zilvia Junkie

Driftmotion usually has pretty good deals on downpipes. They sell fluids to.
A lot of people say to use the Toyota red coolant. They say it actually makes a difference.

Shifter assembly, probably eBay or dealer.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #1238
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaking View Post
Where should i look for Used and/or reasonable priced parts for my 2j? I need to pick up:
* downpipe for the stock twins
* shifter for w58 trans
* proper motor oil, trans fluid, coolant, and filter

Please let me know what you can. Thanks guys
- down pipe= eBay
- shifter = Idunno
- oil = I use rotella, trans = redline, coolant = TOYOTA RED (or equivalent coolant from world pac), filter = I use purolators (tundra filter is larger and basically the TRD version without the badge)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #1239
kaking
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

kaking is making a name for him/her selfkaking is making a name for him/her self
^^ thanks guys
kaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #1240
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVR4 View Post

I asked Xcessive Manufacturing about it, this was the reply:

The concern with the motor is the placement of the oil pan, the slots allow you to fit it nicely into the space between the sway bar and cross member. The shifter is just going to land where it will. I think the length of 34.5" should work out ok, it may be just a touch long to fit the factory center console plastic. I don't have an R154 with an extended housing right now to measure.

Thanks
Rich Kobliha
Xcessive Manufacturing
stock sway bar?
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #1241
BoostedVR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Phonso View Post
stock sway bar?
He didn't specifically say, but judging by the conversation, yes.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #1242
BadazzSr20
Zilvia Junkie

BadazzSr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
got a question i have a kouki with 1jz single turbo. i have the ac working in my car. but when i run the ac the car starts to slowly over heat it takes time before it starts to over heat but it does.

soon as i see it start to go up i turn the ac off then in will come back down to half way on the stock gauge. im running the stock gauge cause i dont like gauges all over my car. i do have the 1jz temp sensor in witch makes me think the reading might be wrong.

this happen to me back when i had my sr20 with a s13 temp sensor in a s14 and it did the same thing with the ac on. i get a s14 temp sensor and the problem was fixed never showed over heating again.

im thinking im having the same problem here. anyone know if the 1jz tempo sensor will read the same output as a s14 temp sensor?

this is driving me crazy and i want to fix this problem im running a mishimoto rad with flex-A-lite fans (2500cfms) and a pusher fan in front. but the motor runs hot as hell in these cars so i don't no.

i know u all will saying get a after market gauge but i don't want that rig it up with a sensor in the water neck looking stupid.

thanks

Last edited by BadazzSr20; 01-12-2013 at 07:12 PM..
BadazzSr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #1243
2jzs14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I tapped my water neck and used the s14 temp sensor and mine has never shown over heating. And I put it where the Toyota sensor goes so it doesn't look stupid, it looks factory
2jzs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #1244
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Do you remember what tap you used for the s14 temp sensor? Is it ntp?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #1245
BadazzSr20
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzs14 View Post
I tapped my water neck and used the s14 temp sensor and mine has never shown over heating. And I put it where the Toyota sensor goes so it doesn't look stupid, it looks factory

this is what i wanted to do!! please details im going to get this done next weekend!!!also are u running ac and one last question are u useing the 1jz harness plug or did u change the plug on the harness to a s14 plug or does that not matter?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #1246
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
will the S14 cluster temp sensor not fit in place of the 1JZ cluster temp sensor?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #1247
BadazzSr20
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
will the S14 cluster temp sensor not fit in place of the 1JZ cluster temp sensor?
no it doesnt fit the s14 is smaller.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #1248
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
there is such a thing as a bushing that will make the temp sensor fit in there
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1249
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadazzSr20 View Post
go figure
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1250
BadazzSr20
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
go figure

best thing u can do is the same as 2jzs14 ill be doing this just fill in the stock 1jz temp hole and retap it with the tread pitch of a s14 temp sensor and boom your good to go.

i just hope that this is the problem why i am seeing high temps when ac is on. when the car starts to show higher temps the car still drives and acts the same

this is why im thinking its a fooling temp sensor. i wont know for sure till i install the s14 one. im thinking i have a great cooling system set up so i cant see it being that. i had my sr20det with ac and it was not over heating with the same set up. i did how ever had to change the sr20 temp sensor to a s14 one cause it was doing the same thing my 1j is doing now.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #1251
Mister.E
Post Whore!

i'll probably just ditch the stock gauge. thought about cutting it out of the cluster and stuffing my Defi water temp gauge in there.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #1252
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

sorry to derail the temperature discussion but I need a quick answer.

Has anyone used this style shifter successfuly on a 240sx?

As you can see its placed back a bit, but not as much as the tripod. if you bent the shifter to a swan neck would it work?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #1253
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
That's the stock one? You can swan neck it but its going to be weird shifts
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #1254
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
the normal thing to do is to usually just get it extended
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #1255
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
In for pix of the ac sensor mod.

Stock shifter will not work it must be extended.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 01-14-2013 at 08:09 AM..
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #1256
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Ok thanks, I was thinking with the 1 inch advantage I could get by without extension.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #1257
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Some pics of my build ive been holding out, she runs good i just need suspension and front end and a few gauges hooked up. sorry for shitty cell phone pics

dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #1258
2jzs14
Zilvia Member

2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough2jzs14 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
this is what i wanted to do!! please details im going to get this done next weekend!!!also are u running ac and one last question are u useing the 1jz harness plug or did u change the plug on the harness to a s14 plug or does that not matter?
No ac, I'm using the 2j vvti aristo harness, I am running ttc. And i removed all the twins solenoids. When I removed the solenoids I used one of the wires that ran through the harness for the solenoid to make it simple and put a spade connector on the end to connect to the s14 sensor. Where the wire connect to the ecu plug I cut it off and hooked it up to the wire going to the temp gauge. If you don't have any extra wires in the harness already you can just run a wire from the sensor straight to the where the engine harness would have plugged into the dash harness and call it a day.

If my explanation is kinda crappy shoot me a pm and ill be more than happy to give you a call and explain
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #1259
2jzs14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
On my aristo water neck it actually had a plug and no sensor, I had to drill and tap it. On non vvti engines I'm pretty sure the sensor is there and it is bigger, mine definitely fits though. I don't recall the thread size. Ill take a picture tomorrow for everyone
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #1260
BoostedVR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzs14 View Post
No ac, I'm using the 2j vvti aristo harness, I am running ttc. And i removed all the twins solenoids. When I removed the solenoids I used one of the wires that ran through the harness for the solenoid to make it simple and put a spade connector on the end to connect to the s14 sensor. Where the wire connect to the ecu plug I cut it off and hooked it up to the wire going to the temp gauge. If you don't have any extra wires in the harness already you can just run a wire from the sensor straight to the where the engine harness would have plugged into the dash harness and call it a day.

If my explanation is kinda crappy shoot me a pm and ill be more than happy to give you a call and explain

Thanks for this tid bit, I had pretty much accepted that my factory temp gauge was just not gonna work. I still think I'd like to have a gauge w/numbers (ocd) but I'll definitely be doing this as well.