Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #1261
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
4sfed180 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4sfed180
so this a motor my boss built but i did all the wiring. it uses an electromotive Tec GT system.

the wiring is not completely done since im not sure which chassis it will go into.

engine is a US F3 VW motor. with a turbo diesel, long stroke, crank and max bore of almost 85mm it almost a 2200cc

pay attention to the little details like the front main seal/dry sump hanger and ITB's

dual ignition wheel pickups. one on the front of the crank and one in the crankcase on the back of the crank.

oh btw who wants a big turbo...or a motor along with it? lol

its a judd racing/truesports indy 500 turbo v8. 2600cc i think.

thats the wheel minor size on a 1.39 A/R turbine housing!!!!

just for reference... massive garrett turbo vs. tiny garrett turbo T25

Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #1262
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Lol @ the size of those collectors... 2" primaries on a 2.6L v8 motor? I love that shit.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #1263
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Lol @ the size of those collectors... 2" primaries on a 2.6L v8 motor? I love that shit.
well the way air flow works is that you can have an ideal size pipe but it may be too short for proper packaging. if you make the size of the pipe larger then you have to make it longer to maintain same air speed and resonant exhaust tuning. yes turbo motors still have exhaust tuning lol. so thats why you see bikes with really big pipes that seem too big for the engine size. they do it on purpose. if they made the pipe ideal size it would be too short and end right by the sump. by making the primaries bigger it allows them to make then longer and go all the way under the bike.

this works on the same concept. they want equal length headers and to allow good packaging so they throw on huge long pipes.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #1265
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
No, that M3 has an M5 Engine in it. From what I recall.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #1266
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
No, that M3 has an M5 Engine in it. From what I recall.
It's a Judd V8 from an F3000 if I remember correctly.

4sfed180,
Those engines are awesome! Did you guys make the front cover on the F3 motor? You got some nice stuff there. They used to run the largest turbines on indy cars.
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #1267
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post
Yep, misinformation on another video of that car.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #1268
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post

4sfed180,
Those engines are awesome! Did you guys make the front cover on the F3 motor? You got some nice stuff there. They used to run the largest turbines on indy cars.
i did some research a while ago and the F3000 engine looks the same as this one but it was non turbo.

the F3000 motor was a Judd BV engine. the one my boss has is an older Judd AV engine. it was used in CART racing by Bobby Rahal. to make it clear. THIS motor was used by bobby rahal. lol. im pretty sure its a 2600cc but not sure. i cant seem to find engine regulations for the late 1980 CART engines.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #1269
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
anybody have any good instructional MIG and TIG videos i should watch? my teacher sucks cock and doesnt really weld to well and doesnt teach really but i cant get TIG down at all. MIG im not to bad at but could definately use improvement.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #1270
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post
anybody have any good instructional MIG and TIG videos i should watch? my teacher sucks cock and doesnt really weld to well and doesnt teach really but i cant get TIG down at all. MIG im not to bad at but could definately use improvement.
find someone decent that is willing to show you the basics and after that its all about practice practice practice.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #1271
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
thats the problem right now. outside of school i dont know anyone with a welder. i just need to learn some basic technique so when i go back to school on monday i can practice. tig i was basically blowing through stuff today and mig i can get down pretty good it just doesnt look like that stack of dimes layed down..
Old 01-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #1272
4sfed180
Zilvia Member

trust me it will be a while till you can "lay bead" when you weld. what TIG welder are you using. if you are burning through thr metal you need to reduce the power of the welder. probably the most important thing is to get the feel for the pedal and power youre providing. there are way too many variables to control if no one is giving you some pointers.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #1273
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

miller, not sure on the model, but it does stick/mig/tig. right now material we are using is 1/8" steel. set on lift arc tig, 125amps, 2% tungsten and 100% argon ~ 25psi and brass or copper filler (i forget which it is). the power setting he gave to us. but i layed one decent weld down but the next two i made some deep ass craters. i didnt blow through but it definately seemed to hot.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #1274
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
there are some instructional vids on my website.

Blu808 - Performance Engineering and Innovation

site is not done yet, but check it out.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #1275
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
I posted this in another thread, but I wanted you guys to see how a proper fuel system should be setup. Most people just add a fuel cell, and an external pump. This is wrong. You will still get fuel starvation in hard corners. The proper way is to use a fuel surge tank canister. You can find them here.
Manji Parts : Home

Here is a complete road race fuel setup i did over the past few days.

First thing is to Take the Canister which is a 10" long piece of stainless tubing with laser cut end pieces welded on, and get it ready for mock up.

Then find a good mounting location, and mock up the lines. Notice we are using aluminum -6 hard line. -6 is larger than stock, and will be adequate to about 450 whp.

Then we started making the fuel lines. Here is the feed line with the 10 micron cleanable pre pump fuel filter.

Next we mounted the low pressure lift pump into the fuel system cage, and bent up the hard lines.

Since the fuel feed line, and AST were mocked up I decided to get the main high pressure pump ready to mount.

Here it is a 255 lph external pump.

Since it came with an odd sized threaded nipple fitting a conventional -6 A/N fitting was not available. So i had to fabricate both together.

Then I mounted the pump to the fuel system cage and bent up the feed line from the AST.

Now that we had the main feed system mocked up I took the AST can out to weld the fittings on and drill the holes.

With that all tigged up I reinstalled it, and confirmed fitment.

After that was looking all pro I made the sending and return lines.

If that isn't a gangster fuel system, then i don't know what is. You could drive this car on its roof and still get fuel to the engine.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #1276
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Simply amazing. Gangster dosnt quite cut it.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #1277
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Hahaha awesome Luke! Hardlines are always a pain, but those look super pro. Pics of your flare tool?

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #1278
SaintlyCharBoy
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (1)
SaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her selfSaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her selfSaintlyCharBoy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to SaintlyCharBoy Send a message via AIM to SaintlyCharBoy Send a message via Yahoo to SaintlyCharBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post
Look for a video series by ron covell. He has some excellent tips for welding all different kinds of materials for many different applications.

Practice is the best thing though.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:31 AM   #1279
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
dude that fuel system is insanely nice. top notch work bro
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #1280
blu808
Post Whore!

Thanks guys. Wait till you see the fuel system in my 1000 whp fc

I am saving up over the next few months just for all the fittings.
Dual -12 lines
dual pumps
dual AST
100 lb injectors
ect.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #1281
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not on the 240 but some airbag lower cups I made...

...and yeah the bars are asymmetrical.
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #1282
cazman

Trader Rating: (0)
cazman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to cazman
To blue 808, most people in Aus use surge tanks, and your system is pretty pro, but there are a few guys in Aus that have made their own, and are so decent.
I cant take credit for these pics,

here is a duel fuel cell setup, for running race fuel and normal fuel

and here is a colour coded fuel setup, very very cool Idea, and looks neat
cazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #1283
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
I posted this in another thread, but I wanted you guys to see how a proper fuel system should be setup. Most people just add a fuel cell, and an external pump. This is wrong. You will still get fuel starvation in hard corners. The proper way is to use a fuel surge tank canister.
Damn, thats a sweet setup. The hardlines are superpro, surgetank too. Sard has some nice surgetank setups for decent prices, considering what they are. I'd rather make my own, but for people who can't, they are a great option.

Jordan, Summit has an AN- 37 degree flare tool setup to use with the aluminum hardlines.

Cazman, that is a sick setup. I like that distribution block.
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #1284
blu808
Post Whore!

Thanks Bill!

Here is a breather setup we fabbed up today.

Another update. Today I made the breather system for the car. Since the stock breather system sucks on these cars here is what I did.

Took the valve cover.

Then tig welded a -8 fitting on the rear of the valve cover, and a -10 onto the stock location.

Then fitted a -8 fitting on the filter base, and attached the fittings onto the catch can.

Then started to make the lines.

The -10 male fitting in the stock location has a 90 deg -10 push lock fitting attached. Then -10 push lock hose goes from there down to the oem crank case breather tube.

The -8 that is welded onto the top of the valve cover attaches to a -8 90deg fitting that attaches via stainless line to the catch can.

I have also modified the baffling on the inside of the valve cover, and will try and get some pics tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #1285
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Pics of baffling! I will be doing this soon, if you and Carlos say it works so well.

Here's me, on your nuts.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #1286
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
lol jeff, jeff, jeff... great work blue..

I'm having the hybrid valve cover made. with earls fittings as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #1287
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

SS Braided Lines... shit sucks.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #1288
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
SS Braided Lines... shit sucks.
I agree with you, I hate SS lines. I tried using the nylon braided lines a while back, i'll never use SS lines again. I always try to persuade customers to pay extra for the nylon lines to make my life easier. The nylon stuff is 100x easier to work with. Black looks cleaner too.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #1289
proughj
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (9)
proughj is making a name for him/her selfproughj is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
where do u buy the nylon tubing? ive been looking for some i cant find any through summit or jegs or speedway
proughj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #1290
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
I get it through one of my suppliers. Feel free to PM me if you need some.