Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1261
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Not much of an update, but I figure I might as well post them if I have them. Installed the KRC LS steam port fittings. These replace the OEM hard lines and make it easy to integrate into the rest of the AN setup. The driver's side will "T" off at the passenger side and then into the surge tank.

I also snapped some pics of the alternator bracket even though I have had it for a few months. Now I just need to find the correct alternator to work with it

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #1262
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Toby, you should do a 240Z...I've always loved them! I can't wait to see this coupe in person when I get back from Japan. I'm definitely making the trip so you can do a few interior mods for me!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #1263
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What alt. bracket is that? Have any plans for the alternator itself at all? I assume you wanna run the lightest one you can find? That's what I would do anyway...
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #1264
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Post numero uno!
Thanks I did read that but it's been so long that my Alzheimer's kicked in

Looks great Toby, builds like yours and damon's inspire the rest of us to attain that next level
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #1265
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by va240dude View Post
Toby, you should do a 240Z...I've always loved them! I can't wait to see this coupe in person when I get back from Japan. I'm definitely making the trip so you can do a few interior mods for me!!!!
That would be great if we could meet in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
What alt. bracket is that? Have any plans for the alternator itself at all? I assume you wanna run the lightest one you can find? That's what I would do anyway...
KRC bracket... I will want to run a 95 or higher. I'm not all that worried about a high output alternator as I will not be running any high current audio or the like... unless of course I get a good deal on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post

Looks great Toby, builds like yours and damon's inspire the rest of us to attain that next level
Thanks Darren

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #1266
Beejis60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
KRC bracket... I will want to run a 95 or higher. I'm not all that worried about a high output alternator as I will not be running any high current audio or the like... unless of course I get a good deal on one.
FWIW, the honda d-series alternator is extremely light.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #1267
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Uhhh, I'm not really sure how that's going to line up with a General Motors bracket and proper spacing!?! I'm not all that concerned with ultra weight savings.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #1268
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Change of plans: Honda D-Series swap.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #1269
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
It's the only logical solution. all about the weight savings BREH.
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #1270
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Uhhh, I'm not really sure how that's going to line up with a General Motors bracket and proper spacing!?! I'm not all that concerned with ultra weight savings.
They make those super small drag race ones you see...100amp output IIRC. I forget the brand name, but you should be able to find it through summitt or what not.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #1271
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #1272
Beejis60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Change of plans: Honda D-Series swap.
Just the alternator. That's what I plan to do if it lines up right.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #1273
EazyS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
EazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
quality build with quality parts, motor sure looks pretty man
EazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #1274
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda D-series alternators suck for Honda D-series motors, they will suck more for a v8...
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #1275
Beejis60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Honda D-series alternators suck for Honda D-series motors, they will suck more for a v8...
Used one on my K series for road racing with zero problems; granted I rebuilt it and cleaned it to the level of cleanliness Broadfield seems to be anal about achieving.
Anyway, back to reality since he's not interested in running one.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #1276
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
why not use a GM one ? on a GM motor ? seems like common sense to me.

moar updates Mr. Toby!! its more inspiration to work on my car haha, which I really should...
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #1277
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
why not use a GM one ? on a GM motor ? seems like common sense to me.
I'm not sure what all of the nonsense about the Honda alternator etc. is!?! When I said I need to figure out which alternator I need it's because I don't which y-body alternator this bracket was designed for. This bracket was manufactured for the V8 Supercar series in Australia... so a Holden. But who knows what alternator it was designed for. I just need to take the time to figure it out. This alternator thing was definitely blown way out of proportion.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #1278
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Thats a gto. So wouldn't you siMply use a gto alt?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #1279
Prime
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Prime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Holden is a brand, not a model. The man knows what he's doing, just wait for the awesome. I don't get the debate about decisions that aren't ours to make...
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #1280
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
No. Dont act like i dont know what I'm saying. The holden is the make of the aussie gto. Same shit. Same engine as our gto, same fcking car actually. So how is it that when i say "why cant you simply use a gto alt?" i am wrong? Its just a assumption
Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #1281
silviasteve
Zilvia Member

silviasteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Learn how to form a complete sentence and you won't get singled out.

Also keep up the quality work Toby you're already putting all other ls swaps to shame.
silviasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1282
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
It's not that easy... or it could be, who knows. But it's a dedicated race car. So just because it's a particular model of car doesn't mean they used the alternator setup off that particular model. They may have used the mounting points of a different GM alternator setup because it offered some benefit over the mounting setup of said model of car. I'm sure it's not going to be that difficult. I'll probably take the bracket into the local auto parts store and have them grab a C6 and CTS-V alternator off the rack, see if either lines up with the mounting bracket and if it has the correct spacing for the pulley. If one of them works then I will know what vehicle I can use as a reference point if I want to order a race alternator, high output alternator etc.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #1283
future
Post Whore!

Thanks for clarifying, keep on with the baller build
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #1284
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
It's not that easy... or it could be, who knows. But it's a dedicated race car. So just because it's a particular model of car doesn't mean they used the alternator setup off that particular model. They may have used the mounting points of a different GM alternator setup because it offered some benefit over the mounting setup of said model of car. I'm sure it's not going to be that difficult. I'll probably take the bracket into the local auto parts store and have them grab a C6 and CTS-V alternator off the rack, see if either lines up with the mounting bracket and if it has the correct spacing for the pulley. If one of them works then I will know what vehicle I can use as a reference point if I want to order a race alternator, high output alternator etc.
I'll get pics of mine with the factory GTO alternator. I think if you call KRC they have the Delphi alternator they technically made the bracket for.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #1285
Beejis60
BANNED

Quote:
No. Dont act like i dont know what I'm saying. The holden is the make of the aussie gto. Same shit. Same engine as our gto, same fcking car actually. So how is it that when i say "why cant you simply use a gto alt?" i am wrong? Its just a assumption
Some of the holden LS motors develop different numbers.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #1286
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I'll get pics of mine with the factory GTO alternator. I think if you call KRC they have the Delphi alternator they technically made the bracket for.
Yeah I asked Norm at KRC when I bought the bracket months ago, but he wasn't 100% sure. He started spouting out a lot of alternator part #'s saying it may be this or that. I was going to just email him and see if he had more of a concrete part # this time around.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #1287
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Norm at KRC is the shit. Super helpful. Definitely helped me with all my dumb questions
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #1288
Memberofthe600hpkaclub
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
Memberofthe600hpkaclub is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Really? All this debate over a alternator?
Memberofthe600hpkaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #1289
twin_vector_turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
twin_vector_turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
An ATI Super Damper would look pretty sick on your engine.
twin_vector_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #1290
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_vector_turbo View Post
An ATI Super Damper would look pretty sick on your engine.
Yeah it's in the plans, but I just don't have the money for it this year. Believe it or not I'm not made of money.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds