Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 AM   #1291
DJButton
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJButton
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

Here's me, on your nuts.
Oh, well hello down here! lol Breather set-up makes sense, I like it.

New website! http://www.fujiispl.com
Post up YOUR CAR! http://www.rimtuck.com/
DJButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #1292
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Just playing around with the TIG, and did a S13 RSTB.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #1293
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
looks awesome. Do you usually tig all your bars?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #1294
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
looks awesome. Do you usually tig all your bars?
Nope...I TIG some of the parts on the S14 TC brace, and I was going to just do the top of the gusset to the crossbar on this one. I just got carried away...lol. I need TIG practice, so I just did this bar...lol.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #1295
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Here is my fuel cell setup...

Scott
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #1296
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Origin Lab Fiberglass Door "Re-enforced Aluminum 6160 Plate". This will take the load off the fiberglass when adding the glass and components back into the 10lb door.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Scott
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #1297
boozels
Zilvia Addict

boozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to all
^^^^
Damn!!!

I now need to change my pants!!

t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com
boozels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #1298
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not as cool as most of the stuff in here. But heres my first attempt at metal fab.

This one is from today.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #1299
jandysil80
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
God dayum!!!!!!!!!!! That car is nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #1300
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Wow how does that thing fit in a trailer? its like wider than the road.
Really cool you got to check it out in person.
anyways. Lets try and keep this to projects we have done.

MODS: please remove the lexus race car post.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #1301
CursedGTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
CursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
So I cut my front wheel wells out to do it in sheet metal vice a stack of fiberglass. I was planning on using 1.2mm thick sheet. Should I use that or go with something thicker or thinner? I am sorry if this post is out of line Blu808 but I promise to post results in return as I have some pretty sick ideas that I plan to incorporate as well.
CursedGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #1302
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Brian - 1.2mm is pretty thin, but it's not load-bearing. As long as you "wrap" the edge (curved part has a 90* joint with the straight part, and that's where you rivet) the edge should hold the shape.

Here's a super quick Pshop I did.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #1303
CursedGTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
CursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Brian - 1.2mm is pretty thin, but it's not load-bearing. As long as you "wrap" the edge (curved part has a 90* joint with the straight part, and that's where you rivet) the edge should hold the shape.

Here's a super quick Pshop I did.
I could go with something a little thicker, but I was worried abotu the ability to get the gradual bend need for the well. Also, would you still tab it like this if you were going to weld it?
CursedGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #1304
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by CursedGTR View Post
I could go with something a little thicker, but I was worried abotu the ability to get the gradual bend need for the well. Also, would you still tab it like this if you were going to weld it?
It's gonna be a bitch to weld that thin shit lol. I would still fold it over, because it's the fold that gives the shape its rigidity.

I don't know its late.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #1305
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CursedGTR View Post
Here is Jesse Vaughn's wheel tubs (Vaughn4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
started making templates..

transferred the templates to metal..

wierd things is it turned out looking like a boot.

spotted in.

mostly welded.

retaines the factory curve

test fit with a 255/35/18

drilled holes for the spot welds and folded it all into place.

taken from his build thread!

FreshAlloy.com Forums

specifically pay attention to this picture... that piece of metal that wasn't cut under his green tape is slit into tabs and folded up for the spot welds on the bottom of the metal to support the tub up top.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #1306
kuppler8
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kuppler8 is making his/her stupidity well-knownkuppler8 is making his/her stupidity well-knownkuppler8 is making his/her stupidity well-knownkuppler8 is making his/her stupidity well-knownkuppler8 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kuppler8
imo those front wheels tubs are some of the best ive seen, i think thats how im going to do mine.
kuppler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #1307
blu808
Post Whore!

Nice tubs!

Brian: I would use 16-18 gauge sheet.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #1308
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
are those galvanized/zinc coated?
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #1309
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
my "oem" style fender tubs.. im not done at all yet but i move it up just over and inch and extened forward about 2inches. used my 18x9.5 +22 SA3r with 275/30 RT615s as clearance check

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #1310
joefresh
Zilvia Junkie

joefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to beholdjoefresh is a splendid one to behold
pretty cool man i like the idea. curious to see how it comes out, i just hammered my tubs forward and made them look kinds smooth haha.
joefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #1311
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Yeah Vaughn does good work - that's what I was trying to tell ya to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bohan View Post
are those galvanized/zinc coated?
Yup - I bought a bunch of 18ga in a 2ft-wide roll do to splitter/ducting work years ago, you could definitely get it to do tubs as long as they're not load-bearing. It's pretty stiff when you do the sides like that - and it's easy as shit to weld (compared to thin lil aluminum).

Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #1312
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
My apporoach was similar i cut the factory well and pulled it out about 3 inches and gave tons more clearance no rubbage with 275/30/18 . I would have tubbed but i ran out of time and this was the most elegant solution i could come up with at the time.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #1313
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

I hate the factory "ribs" in the fender tubs so much that that's what I would want to get rid of the most.

I'm picking up my welder this week, I'll probably do tubs next week just cuz.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #1314
alexander500
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond reputealexander500 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sorry to break-up your wheel tubs party, but here is a nice little crash bar I slapped together for a friend this past Saterday morning.

alexander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #1315
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
While we are breaking up the mini-tub party, allow me to pose this question...

What do Zilvia's master fabricators think of something like this?
East Coast Corvette: 1997 & Newer C5, C6 and Z06 Corvette Performance Parts & Accessories. Odessa, Florida

Now, I understand a large cross section of Zilvia won't give a damn about scraping up their front, because they don't really care about their cars anyway.

For those of us that do care, what do you guys think?
Looks like it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to fab. I think it would be all about positioning it to be useful, and then bracing it to support the weight.

Thoughts?

Has anyone fabbed something like this before?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #1316
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

How's it connected to the frame? The 2" angle stock is welded to... what?

Need moar pics!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1317
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
While we are breaking up the mini-tub party, allow me to pose this question...

What do Zilvia's master fabricators think of something like this?
East Coast Corvette: 1997 & Newer C5, C6 and Z06 Corvette Performance Parts & Accessories. Odessa, Florida

Now, I understand a large cross section of Zilvia won't give a damn about scraping up their front, because they don't really care about their cars anyway.

For those of us that do care, what do you guys think?
Looks like it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to fab. I think it would be all about positioning it to be useful, and then bracing it to support the weight.

Thoughts?

Has anyone fabbed something like this before?
Haha, the acutal inventor of those is this guy Andy at A&A Corvette out here in Oxnard.

That's where my dad bought his supercharger stuff - I've met the guy a few times.

I've thought of doing exactly the same thing, but Corvettes have a nice beefy frame up there (because the radiator sits "tilted back", resting on this substantial crossmember between the "frame rails") and these cute little runners that go out from underneath the rad support to the bumper support. Our cars don't have any substantial frame pieces that far forward.

I thought about including something like that if I ever did a "bash bar" that went that low - but yeah, the wheels have to be on the leading edge or they're not doing anything.

I'll take some pics of the Z06 next time I'm over at my pop's place, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #1318
Hywarp161
Leaky Injector

Hywarp161 is an unknown quantity at this point
does seem interesting.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #1319
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah Vaughn does good work - that's what I was trying to tell ya to do

Yup - I bought a bunch of 18ga in a 2ft-wide roll do to splitter/ducting work years ago, you could definitely get it to do tubs as long as they're not load-bearing. It's pretty stiff when you do the sides like that - and it's easy as shit to weld (compared to thin lil aluminum).
I don't know if you know this.

Welding galvanized is really dangerous. The fumes given off while welding are highly toxic. This is caused by the galvanization process.

Make sure you are in a well ventilated area and wear a respirator....

When I say this shit is toxiz. It's really bloody toxic. Can can a whole heap of problems...
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #1320
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
you would have to make an angry earl bash bar to utilize those....