Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #1321
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not an s chassis but still an awesome 2J conversion
POWERTUNE 2J RX7 - Hardtuned.net
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #1322
cody
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (12)
cody is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
For Sale: Full exhaust for 2jz 240sx. Was made for an S14, but might work on an S13 too. 3 inch with resonator, and muffler. full stainless steel, and TIG welded/back purged. Made to work with a 4 inch downpipe. Goes from downpipe to bumper. Pics are from when it was just made, put around 1000 miles on it since then. $350 + Shipping

Brand new in box Pro Sport oil filter sandwich adaptor plate. 3/4 UNF-16.
Works for Toyotas and a few others. $25 + Shipping.

cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #1323
Kabooms

Kabooms is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got my car on the road a few weeks ago and I am having a couple issues:

Cooling: Im currently running a mishimoto radiator and 2 12" Zirgo fans(~1100cfm ea). It runs at around 180deg at idle. the temp climbs to ~210deg after about 15 min of driving , When i stop and let the car idle the temperature slowly comes back down to 180deg. After a few consecutive hard pulls the temperature climbs rapidly. I have not seen it go beyond 210-215 deg, I stop and let the car idle and cool off as soon as the temp gets up that high.

Power Steering: The car has a reman steering rack(6mo old) and a reman p/s pump(2 weeks old) . I have to increase the rpm to ~2k to be able to turn the steering wheel sitting still. Has anyone else had a low pressure issue and found a cause/solution?

Here is a pic from before the Tweak'd harness and radiator:

Kabooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #1324
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Are you running pull or push fans? The cfm seems a little low to me, I know even when I had my Sr I was using fans with 2400 cfm. I would recommend using fal's as pullers with at least 2500 cfm.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #1325
Kabooms

Kabooms is an unknown quantity at this point
They are pullers. 2 at 1100cfm each, so 2200cfm total. I actually ordered flex a lite dual 12" setup, Should be here today or tomorrow.
Kabooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #1326
Kriskouki
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (199)
Kriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 199 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabooms View Post
I just got my car on the road a few weeks ago and I am having a couple issues:

Cooling: Im currently running a mishimoto radiator and 2 12" Zirgo fans(~1100cfm ea). It runs at around 180deg at idle. the temp climbs to ~210deg after about 15 min of driving , When i stop and let the car idle the temperature slowly comes back down to 180deg. After a few consecutive hard pulls the temperature climbs rapidly. I have not seen it go beyond 210-215 deg, I stop and let the car idle and cool off as soon as the temp gets up that high.

Power Steering: The car has a reman steering rack(6mo old) and a reman p/s pump(2 weeks old) . I have to increase the rpm to ~2k to be able to turn the steering wheel sitting still. Has anyone else had a low pressure issue and found a cause/solution?

Here is a pic from before the Tweak'd harness and radiator:

Try putting the fan shroud....stock fan shroud would work....you will see a lot lower temp when cruising......Actually, I am running the KOYO 3 row aluminium radiator+ FAL single fan setup +stock radiator shroud.....And, here the weather in Thailand with about 35-40 Degree Celcius average though out the whole year.....My car never seen 90C......The average temp of my car is about 80-85C

By the way, I am not sure the problem of the power steering pump....If I were you, I would maybe try with another steering rack....And, if you still have the same problem, it's the power steering pump's fault.......
Kriskouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #1327
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Yeah I dont see the amount of ethanol in regular gas causing an issue with that setup. In fact I believe the Aluminum would react with some of the chemicals in gasoline and create a protective barrier on the internal surface of the aluminum tube.

But a word of advise, if your considering E85 at any point in your build then make sure to get Teflon Coated Lines not just the regular SS braided ones. Though the common SS lines will work for some time the interior portion of the tube begins to dissolve and as you can imagine begins causing issues.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #1328
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
I'm not even gonna use ss braided lines. i'll just run new hard lines from the tank. i was reading a lot about this last night and read the same thing about using teflon lines.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #1329
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Gotcha....as long as your sticking with pump your fine. Aluminum is NOT compatible with E85 so thats why the recommendation for Teflon was made.....just in case you decided to go with E85 at some point. Going with Teflon would eliminate any concern if you choose to go either route. I decided to go with Teflon lines since I will be switching back and forth between pump and E85.

Another word of advise, if your going to use E85 make sure that you use smaller micron (<40 micron) filters and even better would be to use SS mesh screened filter.

Good simple article to read;
Injector Dynamics - Alcohol Article
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1330
rswails
Leaky Injector

rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriskouki View Post
Try putting the fan shroud....stock fan shroud would work....you will see a lot lower temp when cruising......Actually, I am running the KOYO 3 row aluminium radiator+ FAL single fan setup +stock radiator shroud.....And, here the weather in Thailand with about 35-40 Degree Celcius average though out the whole year.....My car never seen 90C......The average temp of my car is about 80-85C

By the way, I am not sure the problem of the power steering pump....If I were you, I would maybe try with another steering rack....And, if you still have the same problem, it's the power steering pump's fault.......
When you say stock shroud is that a stock ka24 shroud you're referring to? And are you using this stock shroud setup the FAL as a puller?
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #1331
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Gotcha....as long as your sticking with pump your fine. Aluminum is NOT compatible with E85 so thats why the recommendation for Teflon was made.....just in case you decided to go with E85 at some point. Going with Teflon would eliminate any concern if you choose to go either route. I decided to go with Teflon lines since I will be switching back and forth between pump and E85.

Another word of advise, if your going to use E85 make sure that you use smaller micron (<40 micron) filters and even better would be to use SS mesh screened filter.

Good simple article to read;
Injector Dynamics - Alcohol Article
Just in case i dont feel like running hard lines once i get under the car, do you have a link to some -6AN teflon ss braided line on the cheap?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #1332
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

I actually didnt order the lines my builder did but the lines are usually not as cheap as traditional SS braided lines. I know XRP makes great products and if your interested in these I would contact Broadfield as he is a vendor for them and has lots of knowledge.

Here are a few places that I know sells Teflon Lines:
Hosecraft USA : TS1 Smooth Bore Braided Teflon Hose
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Specialty Hose Corp - PTFE® Hose
Aeroquip at SummitRacing.com: fittings, hoses, and automotive plumbing tools and accessories
Aeroquip Teflon Hose

Hope one of those helps you out. They are a bit expensive but it is likely the few extra bucks to get the product that will allow you to use the fuel you want without a worry about engine damage. I say if you have the extra cash just do it once and save yourself the extra work and extra cost of having to switch over later on.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1333
afracer

afracer is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in the middle of a 2JZ swap in an S13. I haven't seen anyone else doing it on here in a S13, but the car is staying automatic. We are trying our best to maintain A/C and ABS as well, but it's not looking good for either of those the further along I get in the project. Might look into a Honda condensor a little closer than I was pondering previously. I actually just mounted the engine in last night for test fitting; using the Xcessive mounts was a little bit of pain initially getting the engine to sit down, but it did eventually with some maneuvering. The Xcessive R154 trans mount seems to kinda work, but I had to grind away some metal, use a couple spacers on the studs, and insert a nut into the tranny mount hole that's not normally used. It isn't ideal, but it'll work. The trans mount really could be about another inch higher to maximize clearance, but as is it'll work.

Through 45 pages of reading and lots of inquiries, there's still a lot of unanswered questions: what throttle bracket and cable works, what heater hoses work, has anybody got cruise control and ABS and A/C working on their swap? There's some ok info on here, but lots of questions left hanging. Anyways, with the automatic we've also got to fit a giant cooler for it, along with a giant oil cooler, intercooler, and the A/C stuff, so like I said, A/C might not make the cut, God it would make life so much easier, but the wife wants it and it does get balls hot here in Arkansas. Then theres the ABS pump that takes up half of the engine bay, once again would be so easy to delete, but also nice to maintain I suppose. I've never used ABS with Z32 brakes before, so if anybody has, and it sucks, please advise...

I just want it done already...
afracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #1334
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
you havent seen anyone else on here swapping into an s13? Are you serious?
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #1335
Mr. Phonso
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Mr. Phonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OP has an auto 2jz s13

How low and far back did you get your engine to sit with the xcessive mounts? Did it clear the stock sway bar? Maybe you can answer some questions for us!!
Mr. Phonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #1336
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Yeah i have an auto S13. I would be nice to get the cruise control to work, but if you ever go with a standalone computer you will loose the cruise function. The ABS idea i would throw out the window. The A/C idea would be nice, but not sure how you'll be able to run a radiator/trans cooler and the AC condenser and have them all get adequate air flow.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #1337
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
you have to cut and re-weld the throttle cable bracket.

these are the best pics i have of how mine is.

Here is some pics of the throttle cable bracket i modified to make the KA24DE cable work....

And there is SO much information on here it would take me days if not weeks to sift through it all and re apply it to the 1st post. The best thing i would tell anyone just getting into this thread that wants to find something. SEARCH!
At the top of the forum there is a little "SEARCH THIS THREAD" Use that to search for what you need. keep it simple "Throttle cable" Sway bar" or "wiring"

should help.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #1338
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I also swapped a 2j into my 13 (though I recently got rid of it, and mine was a 5 speed/r154)
Also I have an r154 slip yoke if anyone is doing the swap and needs a slip yoke for a custom driveshaft.

I didn't have AC or a heater, so I couldn't say about that stuff. Heater wouldn't of ever worked for me with twins since the rear most turbo basically sat on the heater port coming out of the firewall.

Don't forget about notching your core support when you're installing your radiator/fans
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #1339
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Oh and event though its not S chassis related, a friend of mine is about to embark on a 2jz rx8 project. Should be pretty interesting dealing with all the modern can bus stuff. We had swapped a 1j into a Volvo about a year ago, but that was easy
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #1340
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

There was a dude in Va I believe that had swapped over the 2J into an RX8. It was beautiful but if I remember correctly it was a rather tight fit due to engine bay dimensions. Should be a fun car for sure.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1341
DallasTXjdm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
DallasTXjdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Question

Just curious, which engine mounts are you guys using? I am debating on either going with Cusco or stock. I do not want to hear a lot of noise and this is a DD.
DallasTXjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #1342
Mister.E
Post Whore!

im going to use cusco solids in my DD
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #1343
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Drft Freaks engine mounts and stock R154 mount.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #1344
JDM SPUG
Zilvia Junkie

JDM SPUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Stock mounts
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #1345
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
avid racing solid. had them with my sr and loved em
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #1346
xxom7gxx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
xxom7gxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriskouki View Post

Sounds like you wired the Fans wrong, You have them pulling and they need to be pushing. I did it, took me a min to find out it was overheating when driving and not at idle, The fans are fighting the air you are pushing into the engine bay from driving.

Just a thought.
xxom7gxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #1347
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2jzgte swapped s13 was not starting occasionally.

Here's what it would do:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...10246E4259.mp4

I just replaced these parts on my starter today:

28226-22050 was kinda worn whereas 28226-74070 looked pretty good - I replaced it also - just to be safe.

I bent a cheapie 14mm open face wrench to get the upper bolt loose:

And here are the new copper colored contacts after I installed them in the starter:

(28226-22050 on the left and 28226-74070 on the right)
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #1348
Mister.E
Post Whore!

hell, i might do that before i even put the damn motor in.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #1349
Entranced
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Entranced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
how is this thread not stickied????
Entranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1350
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Has anyone got their AC working?

Last edited by kalypso123; 01-24-2013 at 07:31 AM..
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote