Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #1321
andrew600
ill tongue punch her fart box

Trader Rating: (12)
andrew600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
finally. slacker.
andrew600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #1322
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
looking good as usual, i love the attention to detail with all of the mounting hardware.
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #1323
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KravingAKouki View Post
Damn Toby, your car is too clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_T View Post
OMG this is on another level Toby... Nice job keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20drifter1 View Post
I'm speechless!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyS13 View Post
dude you are the man, thing is top notch looks beautiful!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanns13 View Post
This is the best build ever. I've never seen a 240 so clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punxva View Post
looking good as usual, i love the attention to detail with all of the mounting hardware.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Angel View Post
This build is so incredible. The attention to detail is phenomenal. I wish you were putting a respectable engine in it... But I can see why people like V8s. Can't deny the capability. I'm just opinionated about things I have no say in
I respect your opinion on the engine... although I never understood why it bothers people so much!?! I guess I could care less what engine is in a car. But I also stood along side my father, as a child, as he built dozens of street rods with what ever engine he felt like at the time. Some of my customers are actually the same way in that they want the same brand of speakers, head unit, amplifiers, subs etc. I have to explain to them that it's actually not a good idea. No single company makes the best in every category. So I hand pick the best of the best, in every category, within their budget. I follow the same thought process with my car. I don't care what brand or manufacturer it is... if it's good it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegto View Post
Getting closer and closer..
How are u going to fill up the radiator?
I will be using a surge tank. You could also use a remote filler neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
This is motivating me to get out in the shop today. Inspiring as always Toby.

Damn.
Actually, your build has inspired me to get out in the garage from time to time. Hell, if we can keep inspiring each other we'll be unstoppable

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #1324
deadghost
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
deadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the roughdeadghost is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
I want to see pics of said chick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_This View Post
Ditto for said pics.
I cant! I got caught up on a awkward moment trying to snap a pic during class, the prof called me out on using my phone. Her boyfriend who I was unaware of is now mad dogging me after class.

IG Holy_khal
deadghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #1325
Metal Angel
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Metal Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I respect your opinion on the engine... although I never understood why it bothers people so much!?! I guess I could care less what engine is in a car. But I also stood along side my father, as a child, as he built dozens of street rods with what ever engine he felt like at the time. Some of my customers are actually the same way in that they want the same brand of speakers, head unit, amplifiers, subs etc. I have to explain to them that it's actually not a good idea. No single company makes the best in every category. So I hand pick the best of the best, in every category, within their budget. I follow the same thought process with my car. I don't care what brand or manufacturer it is... if it's good it's good.
The reason I (and many others) don't like V8s is because of the impact they have had on drifting. To be competitive in FD anymore, you HAVE to have a V8, which dampens creativity and puts the emphasis on power instead of technique. The same thing happened to the WTCC back in the 60s, and if memory serves, it was in the 70s that they banned V8s and limited engines to 2 liters... That seems extreme in my opinion, and I don't really follow the WTCC, so I don't know what their guidelines are now, but I'm just saying this isn't the first time people have hated V8s in motorsports.

I know your car is not for drifting, and hopefully it will never see a track (it's too pretty for that kind of abuse) but the S chassis has become synonymous with drifting, so people make that connection automatically. It's almost like building an F1 car for show, sure it may never see a track, but it's still an F1 car.

...I do love your street rodder attitude!
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #1326
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
The reason I (and many others) don't like V8s is because of the impact they have had on drifting. To be competitive in FD anymore, you HAVE to have a V8, which dampens creativity and puts the emphasis on power instead of technique. The same thing happened to the WTCC back in the 60s, and if memory serves, it was in the 70s that they banned V8s and limited engines to 2 liters... That seems extreme in my opinion, and I don't really follow the WTCC, so I don't know what their guidelines are now, but I'm just saying this isn't the first time people have hated V8s in motorsports.

Just do a BMW V8 or Viper V10! Bam you cover creativity and you compete. I know it's a cliche but "don't hate the player, hate the game". I think the reason drifting hasn't limited motor size is because it too limits creativity. Everyone would then be using SR or RB for the most part. I like seeing David vs Goliath.

Back on topic. The machined piece for the heater is awesome Toby. Local machine shop or your personal creation?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #1327
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:

I know your car is not for drifting, and hopefully it will never see a track (it's too pretty for that kind of abuse) but the S chassis has become synonymous with drifting, so people make that connection automatically. It's almost like building an F1 car for show, sure it may never see a track, but it's still an F1 car.

Yeah, that kind of sucks man... I see where you are coming from now. Too bad they can't have a range of displacement classes. 1) up to 2.5L 2) 2.6L - 4.0L 3) 4.1L +... or something to that affect. That would then get the creative juices flowing to get the most hp/tq out of your engine in it's respective class.

Quote:
Back on topic. The machined piece for the heater is awesome Toby. Local machine shop or your personal creation?
I designed it and a local shop machined it for me. Unfortunately I do not have a lathe or CNC.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #1328
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:

See for a lot of us that we're into these cars before drifting, we feel the same way about drifting that you do about V8s in these cars. You say V8s have ruined drifting, where I (and many others) feel drifting has ruined the s-chassis scene.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #1329
redhatchy92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
redhatchy92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
See for a lot of us that we're into these cars before drifting, we feel the same way about drifting that you do about V8s in these cars. You say V8s have ruined drifting, where I (and many others) feel drifting has ruined the s-chassis scene.
best post EVER!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #1330
Metal Angel
Leaky Injector

Metal Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
Yeah, I'll give you that. I never meant that drifting being synonymous with 240s was a good thing... It's really not good for drifting or 240s.
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #1331
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Looking clean Toby!

Last edited by C. Anderson; 03-04-2012 at 08:09 PM..
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #1332
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
The problems with engines in drifting comes when you have grassroots privateers going heads up with big professional teams. David and his 4ag hachiroku are going to have a hell of a time competing with Goliath and his TRD pushrod V8 RWD TC. There really needs to be a distinction between these completely different classes of vehicles.

And just to play devil's advocate to myself. A well setup off the shelf LS in an S chassis is not that different than any other well setup engine in an S chassis. The judges need to force the drivers to keep the speed up and stop the bullshit brake checking on lower powered cars.

/threadjack and long live the V8
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #1333
epik1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
epik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mr.Broadfield, amazing work. I think I'm developing an addiction to these s-chassis + lsx swaps like crackheads to crack lol. Just finished reading through 30 pages of bs jabbering and like 15 pgs of greatness :P

Over here in Toronto it's 11:11pm, and I need to start my essay now that's due tommorow, you win the "world's greatest distraction" award haha. Seriously though, amazing work! Will have to save up for an LS1/3 for my S14.
epik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #1334
newslidz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
newslidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to newslidz
V8S IN EVERYTHING! thats creativity. use it if you can make it fit. thats a challenge in its own. plus its more growth. there are now company's that can specialize in just that. and on top of all that its there when you need it and reliable.

JUST A RED TOP SR
newslidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #1335
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice Toby... good to see things are starting to get done..

Looks like everything's falling into place now

Can't wait to see the final product!
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #1336
marcs13r32

marcs13r32 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! love it
marcs13r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #1337
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Fittings on the firewall came out super nice, dude. Can't wait to see this thing on the road...

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #1338
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
absolutely beautiful.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #1339
1jzs14
Leaky Injector

1jzs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
you sir are my hero!!!!!!! i just read this whole thing! its sick!
1jzs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #1340
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I got off my ass last night and finished the heater core setup. I cut the hard tubes down as far as I could and still allow me to get some 5/8" heater hose onto them securely.

As you can see I basically cut them down to the rib on the tube:

I then simply sanded down the tubes so they were basically smooth:

This is how they mate up to the backside of the machined bulkheads in the car:

Some simple heater hose and hose clamps... it's done. However, I will ditch those nasty hose clamps for the final install and use some XRP Ensure Clamps.

I also mocked up the radiator hoses:

I will be doing a surge tank for my high point in the coolant system. I will be running the steam ports into the top side of the tank, looping the output heater hose through the bottom of the tank and then into the front port on the water pump. Since I have never done a surge tank before, I do have one question if anyone can confirm it: do I absolutely need to run a port from the top side of the surge tank to the top of the radiator?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 03-13-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #1341
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
i love this thread. what size lines are you running for the radiator? i may have missed it before.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #1342
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I believe he said they were -16. Car is comin together and looking good only half done
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #1343
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I would check with Stewart Leask about the ports Toby

Also thank you for being an innovator mentally on the same level as myself but with the means to actually put those orgasmic thoughts in your brain to use. Everyone is so quick to throw away the hvac like it's the enemy, as if they're eliminating a problem. HVAC is your friend, it will save your life on a cold cold night, and clear your windshield on a rainy day. Too many people ditch such a VITAL part of their cars and I think the weight loss that stems from it is minuscule and retarded. It will be nice to reverse engineer the work you have accomplished into my project when the time comes with less brain scratching on my part. I eventually will tear my dash out and have all of the electrical built from the ground up with Jeff's help eliminating any question as to what's going to what. All systems separate, but it's down that dark tunnel of priority modifications.

I'm totally on the ls bandwagon (for carb legal purposes) although my heart is with that peppy little 4 cylinder turbocharged motor. I think we've had our fun. Big plans call for big money so all I can do is save save save
Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #1344
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
do I absolutely need to run a port from the top side of the surge tank to the top of the radiator?
There's no reason not to, that'll eliminate any chance of air caught in the radiator. Do you not have a filler neck? It'd be worth it to weld on a -4an male fitting to the top somewhere, Stew has a -4an on both sides of the radiator just in case.

Pratt & Miller (who build the C5.R and C6.R Vettes and Camaros) recommend plugging the rear two steam ports and running the front steam ports to your expansion tank ~ Dai (and Stew, who got the idea from Dai's car) run all four steam ports to the expansion tank. P&M said this isn't as good, I don't recall the actual reasoning, but it was all tested by them.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #1345
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
There's no reason not to, that'll eliminate any chance of air caught in the radiator. Do you not have a filler neck? It'd be worth it to weld on a -4an male fitting to the top somewhere, Stew has a -4an on both sides of the radiator just in case.

Pratt & Miller (who build the C5.R and C6.R Vettes and Camaros) recommend plugging the rear two steam ports and running the front steam ports to your expansion tank ~ Dai (and Stew, who got the idea from Dai's car) run all four steam ports to the expansion tank. P&M said this isn't as good, I don't recall the actual reasoning, but it was all tested by them.
I read the same thing when I tore my LS2 apart. I touched the back steam ports were plugged and was about to unplug them for the expansion tank. The V8 Supercars only used the fronts. I forget the reasoning behind it. I believe it may "unequalize" the internal pressures if only 2 are used, forcing air to move. Or it could be the slight rake the motor has with the front sitting slightly taller than the rear. I'll stick with 2 for now.

Toby, the fittings look amazing. I need to get mine off to the welder to finish the water neck.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #1346
EazyS13
Zilvia Member

EazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant wait for the end of this, truely beautiful!!
EazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #1347
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

Quote:
I read the same thing when I tore my LS2 apart. I touched the back steam ports were plugged and was about to unplug them for the expansion tank. The V8 Supercars only used the fronts. I forget the reasoning behind it. I believe it may "unequalize" the internal pressures if only 2 are used, forcing air to move. Or it could be the slight rake the motor has with the front sitting slightly taller than the rear. I'll stick with 2 for now.

Toby, the fittings look amazing. I need to get mine off to the welder to finish the water neck.
The surge tank will be the fill point/high point. I assumed I needed a line to the top of the radiator, but I didn't want to run one if it wasn't necessarily needed.... the less hose running everywhere the better. This isn't a full out track car like the one Scottie is building or a full out race car like Pratt & Miller build. So the requirements for those setups might not be required on my grocery getter... which is why I asked. I actually ordered the fittings last week to do the line to the radiator, but figured I would forgo it if not needed. Thanks for the advice guys, my assumptions were correct.

So since I will be running a line to the radiator, can I run it to the spot underneath the inlet port? Or does it really need to be level with the inlet port?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #1348
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
So since I will be running a line to the radiator, can I run it to the spot underneath the inlet port? Or does it really need to be level with the inlet port?
I believe that as long as the highest point of the surge tank is higher than the top of the radiator it doesn't really matter what level the line is at. Like if you put a straw in a cup that almost touches the bottom, you can still fill the cup through the straw.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #1349
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Rad hoses are rad.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #1350
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Coming along great. I cant wait to hear this thing rip!