Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #1351
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebrah View Post
well i usually try to just hit the ghetto 'clipping zones' at that track which in my opinion are a terrible line haha. so what do you suggest...like a wider or more shallow line?
one thing you notice with your single cam, is you have to keep the speed up. Which means that your wheel speed needs to be faster then you are traveling.

Instead of doing hard flicks, and laying on throttle, and then shooting for the clipping, try weight shifting a little lighter, and gradually add angle. It'll keep your wheel speed up, and make sure your lines are smooth. It'll help with that last outside clip coming out of that chicane following entry.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #1352
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Couple runs with the new set-up. Blew the t2 gasket on the way to the track, made it more difficult, but being aggressive really really helped. With the turbo spooling correctly for the next event, I shouldn't have any problems with it at all.

You can hear the clutch slip up top, I'm still having issues with that. With the gasket blown, it felt like I was fighting the car a bit as well.

first vid was dope.

second vid you could tell you were off line a little towards the end.

everything looked awesome man. You can tell your car is low, and you are receiving bump steer (it's whats making you turn in super fast, having to correct). Only thing that'll fix that is ride height/more tire sidewall.

You can tell you are running some big tires on what looks to be about 230whp. Maybe a 245 in the rear or something smaller with 30 psi?

Try not to play with the clutch too much, and focus on timing (boost). At the end of that last video, you were coming into a right turn from a left, you can see you straigten, and then clutch kick. when you just past the zero point of your transition, you should already start building boost. practice feathering the throttle a little...to keep it in boost, but not give you huge wheel spin.

Other than this...just practice. It's a tight course, and you do a good job keeping it on course. Noobs would be dirt dropping and going off track all day.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #1353
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Thanks so much!
You are good, I have roll center, but have not adjusted bump steer at all. I was running a 235/45 at 45psi in the rear.

The power is the thing, I should be close to 340ish whp lol, this was a gt2871r .86 @ 16psi.. I had to keep it revved up so high just to make boost with the turbo gasket blown. Next event I'll get more footage, should be alot smoother with the power actually there.

Thanks again!
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #1354
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
he does drive with one hand sparingly. I dont even think he realizes he still does it.

at the end, you found yourself correcting, and over correcting, a good front tire setup will help with that a lot.

that track looks fucking awesome to drive...is that the same track they have pro am at?
Appreciate it man,..yeah, i did have some shit tires that day...lol
I also scrubbed a lil too much speed with the angle before and couldnt throw the weight into that last turn,...kinda just compensating, trying to keep drifting threw it.

that track is fun,..def my favorite by far. 2 day event in 2 weeks if you're interested. (not sure where you're located)
..and dnt think any serious events have ever been here, more like an excuse for everyone to come hangout and get seat time!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #1355
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
zeebrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
one thing you notice with your single cam, is you have to keep the speed up. Which means that your wheel speed needs to be faster then you are traveling.

Instead of doing hard flicks, and laying on throttle, and then shooting for the clipping, try weight shifting a little lighter, and gradually add angle. It'll keep your wheel speed up, and make sure your lines are smooth. It'll help with that last outside clip coming out of that chicane following entry.
hahah you are good. thanks man! hopefully going out this weekend. idk if my buddy with the camera will be going but if so ill try to watch myself and see
Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #1356
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Quote:
Looks good. Looks as if your caster settings are really low, or you are running shitty front tires.

Get yourself a good wheel...i don't know how you drive with it having those bumps all over the wheel...would drive me nuts. lol.
The tires were DONE. They were just some Hankook V12s that I used all last season. They we're already cording on that run. I can't wait to get new tires!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #1357
StandLow_Ralphy

Trader Rating: (0)
StandLow_Ralphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Perfect thread for new-born drifting skills to get better ^_^
StandLow_Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #1358
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I was wondering, I currently have a s13 two row radiator on my S14, and to be honest, it looks pretty janky. For those who drift, does the stock s14 ka radiator with stock e-fan and clutch fan cool enough for track days?

Thinking about taking out the s13 radiator until I can get myself a Mishimoto radiator later on.

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #1359
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
I was wondering, I currently have a s13 two row radiator on my S14, and to be honest, it looks pretty janky. For those who drift, does the stock s14 ka radiator with stock e-fan and clutch fan cool enough for track days?

Thinking about taking out the s13 radiator until I can get myself a Mishimoto radiator later on.
Sell it to me? I need to make my car texas proof.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #1360
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Sell it to me? I need to make my car texas proof.
Well first I have to find out whether or not stock radiator is track proof lol.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #1361
whyteboi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
whyteboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Well first I have to find out whether or not stock radiator is track proof lol.
If your running a stock KA I don't see how you would have an issue.
whyteboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #1362
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
my car got pretty hot sometimes ( running multiple laps in 110+ heat at Willow Springs), but never overheated
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #1363
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Well Brian, if you did it, my car probably could too. I wonder how FCkb's car did. I know he ran stock KA for awhile too.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #1364
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well Brian, if you did it, my car probably could too. I wonder how FCkb's car did. I know he ran stock KA for awhile too.
After about 2 laps, the car would lose a little power in the heat.... but it never hurts to make the car run better.

Honestly, running distilled water and water wetter worked really well for temps after I replaced the KA the first time. Also running a hood vent helped a huge amount with temps. I remember driving to track, and it wouldn't even get warm...lol. KA's are awesome.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #1365
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
After about 2 laps, the car would lose a little power in the heat.... but it never hurts to make the car run better.

Honestly, running distilled water and water wetter worked really well for temps after I replaced the KA the first time. Also running a hood vent helped a huge amount with temps. I remember driving to track, and it wouldn't even get warm...lol. KA's are awesome.
Huh, I'll proly get hood spacers then and run some water wetter.. And fill up my radiator with distilled water instead of a hose haha. And iamtheyi, I'm serious about that radiator haha just lmk.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #1366
diacris
Leaky Injector

diacris is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an auto KA. Even harder to drift
But I do have a welded diff . Since I can't clutch kick, I have to be cranking the wheel really deep just lose traction. Inflating the rears to 50 psi helps too n Oh, and I have to keep the shifter in 1st. Only goes up to like 35 before I'm about to send the KA to hell.
diacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #1367
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diacris View Post
I have an auto KA. Even harder to drift
But I do have a welded diff . Since I can't clutch kick, I have to be cranking the wheel really deep just lose traction. Inflating the rears to 50 psi helps too n Oh, and I have to keep the shifter in 1st. Only goes up to like 35 before I'm about to send the KA to hell.
leave it in second ;D
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #1368
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Huh, I'll proly get hood spacers then and run some water wetter.. And fill up my radiator with distilled water instead of a hose haha. And iamtheyi, I'm serious about that radiator haha just lmk.

Yeah, according to the owner of baker performance (brothers with owner of neo synthetics), Darlene says normal water has minerals that will stick to the motor and cause hot spots...which can in turn collect, and permanently damage the motor. She's the one that recommended this setup..just don't go to the mountains or your rad will freeze over. lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #1369
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Yeah, according to the owner of baker performance (brothers with owner of neo synthetics), Darlene says normal water has minerals that will stick to the motor and cause hot spots...which can in turn collect, and permanently damage the motor. She's the one that recommended this setup..just don't go to the mountains or your rad will freeze over. lol.
Lol it gets cold at Willow Springs enough to snow in the nearby region. Is that close enough haha.

Wouldn't running 50/50 be ideal because the coolant also acts as a lubricant for the water pump?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #1370
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Lol it gets cold at Willow Springs enough to snow in the nearby region. Is that close enough haha.

Wouldn't running 50/50 be ideal because the coolant also acts as a lubricant for the water pump?
To my understanding, coolant doesn't actually make the car run any cooler, it raises the boiling point of the water enabling you to run it hotter with less risk of damage. The reason why water wetter works is because it breaks up the surface tension of the water allowing it to flow more easily.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #1371
mitcheyismyname
Zilvia Member

mitcheyismyname is an unknown quantity at this point
Well then..................................... :P

I'd take it to a track if we had one buddy.

Last edited by mitcheyismyname; 05-31-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Breakin the law breakin the law!
mitcheyismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #1372
TrustS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
TrustS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
^ in before you get removed for skreet sliding.
TrustS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #1373
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Alright, I got to drift this morning for a while with the new turbo. Doesn't seem too laggy, but being on this short track it does seem to fall outta boost alot. I found myself actually modulating the clutch alot to compensate for that. Is this a bad habbit? Serious smoke show though.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #1374
vibe240

vibe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
SR

stock sr20 at 7psi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxfRIr-40c

what do you guys think ?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #1375
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Ok, so for some reason, even though I have been around forever - I still seem to disagree with some...

I have a super-Q 2way Kaaz.

When my clutch is in, doesn't the diff go back to open gear?

When the clutch is not in, it locks up (basically on and off throttle).

Some people say 2ways are not suppose to change when the clutch is initiated. I know mine does, it dips sharper into the corner when I clutch in.

Call me wrong or right, just let me know! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #1376
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Its a 2-way meaning it locks on both accel and deccel at the same rates/percentage.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1377
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
^ Yes I know that, the question is - does it unlock when you press the clutch in? My diff def. does something if I push my clutch in to shift while turning. It feels like it unlocks.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #1378
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe240 View Post
stock sr20 at 7psi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxfRIr-40c

what do you guys think ?
Looking pretty good. I would try to focus on a little more angle, but besides that seems like you got it down.

You move your hands like mine too. haha
Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #1379
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
^ Yes I know that, the question is - does it unlock when you press the clutch in? My diff def. does something if I push my clutch in to shift while turning. It feels like it unlocks.
Ah got it,sorry.
AFAIK yes it's suppose to unlock as there is no accel or deccel load being put on the drivetrain.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #1380
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

^

Thanks KA240SX808!!!