Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #14191
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car is clean as in the only thing wrong with it is paint, flawless interior, flawless bone stock engine, perfectly straight body, no rust anywhere...

Project as in stripped out race car. lol

Probably just going to sell it to my dad and buy a shell
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #14192
Young Sileighty Kev
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Young Sileighty Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
@ codyace- Well, i changed the o2 sensor and that seemed to solve my problem. Thx for the help/concerns zilvia my baby is starting brand new again!
Young Sileighty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #14193
jptalaga
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
jptalaga is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New wheels but have a slight problem

hey guys I just bought some wheels for my car and my stock lug nuts wont fit, theyre 5zigen fighter wheels. my question is do I need to get some tuner extended lug nuts? and also do I need to get extended wheel studs. first time buying aftermarket wheels. any words of advice much appreciated. thanks! pm me if you can.
jptalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #14194
S14 Ender
Leaky Injector

S14 Ender is an unknown quantity at this point
Does camber affect safety when using wheel spacers?
S14 Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #14195
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 21o3 View Post
Car is clean as in the only thing wrong with it is paint, flawless interior, flawless bone stock engine, perfectly straight body, no rust anywhere...

Project as in stripped out race car. lol

Probably just going to sell it to my dad and buy a shell
IT all depends on how 'race car' you're going. If it's going to be a real deal full on setup, then I'd not be concerned with a good interior nor a good plain stock engine as that's all going to get replaced anyway. Slight rust wouldn't bother me too bad either as it's going to be track only, and you can fix it.

Cliffs: Sell the good shell/make money...get a slightly beat car and make that the racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Sileighty Kev View Post
@ codyace- Well, i changed the o2 sensor and that seemed to solve my problem. Thx for the help/concerns zilvia my baby is starting brand new again!
Sounds good man! Sometimes it's some simple crazy shit that causes the biggest grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptalaga View Post
hey guys I just bought some wheels for my car and my stock lug nuts wont fit, theyre 5zigen fighter wheels. my question is do I need to get some tuner extended lug nuts? and also do I need to get extended wheel studs. first time buying aftermarket wheels. any words of advice much appreciated. thanks! pm me if you can.

Check out the offerings that the Zilvia sponsers like 240sxMotoring, Enjuku, or FRsport have for sale and available. It sounds like you'll need a thin lugnut or even a spline drive/inverse type lugnut. There are plenty of options out there for sure, check to see what they have and rock n roll

You shouldnt' need aftermarket studs at all so long as you're not running any spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14 Ender View Post
Does camber affect safety when using wheel spacers?
Not if you have quality aftermarket studs and a good lugnut. I've run 3* on a 15mm spacer for many track days without issue.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #14196
HipHopHippo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
HipHopHippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
That's a body panel latch, aftermarket, to hold a body panel on that can be taken off quickly for drifting and stuff. stuff for race cars...

Body Latches - Protex CatchBolt (Flat)
Ok cool, thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #14197
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
If you're in a pinch most parts stores carry low profile nuts like Gorilla. There is a store front mark-up so, if you can wait see what the the vendors have on sale like suggested above.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #14198
S14 Ender
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

Not if you have quality aftermarket studs and a good lugnut. I've run 3* on a 15mm spacer for many track days without issue.
Thanks for the response.

Sorry I meant adaptor not spacer, previous owner gave me two adaptors that basically work as spacers and add what looks to be about an inch or an inch and a half to the car in the rear. I don't have them on at the moment since I don't know how safe they really are but the wheels would look better if I put them on.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #14199
ShimiBoi
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
ShimiBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is 13.4 afr @wot (7psi) too lean on a ka-t w/ Enthalpy tune? Asking because afr went from 11.4 to 13.4 when switching from AEM cone filter to HKS mushroom filter. Thanks!
ShimiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #14200
unnaturalsniper
Leaky Injector

unnaturalsniper is an unknown quantity at this point
ive decided on going with a s13 redtop sr motor.. my only issue is that it comes with a five speed.. i just want to know if there is a 6 speed that mates perfectly with it, or will i have to do a lot of fabing to get one to fit?
unnaturalsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #14201
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
^ Look into what it takes to get a Z33 350Z 6spd transmission on an SR20DET.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #14202
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnaturalsniper View Post
ive decided on going with a s13 redtop sr motor.. my only issue is that it comes with a five speed.. i just want to know if there is a 6 speed that mates perfectly with it, or will i have to do a lot of fabing to get one to fit?
Is there any reason you need a 6 speed?
S15 is available in 6 speed.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #14203
S14 Ender
Leaky Injector

What would cause excessive brake pad wear? I changed my pads about two weeks ago and now they're scratching my rotors. Gonna have to replace pads and rotors now. Just my luck, it's what I get for trying to learn how to do things on my own.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #14204
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
What would cause excessive brake pad wear? I changed my pads about two weeks ago and now they're scratching my rotors. Gonna have to replace pads and rotors now. Just my luck, it's what I get for trying to learn how to do things on my own.
Did you change the rotors? Check them for true and run out?

Are they wearing evenly? Inner and outer pad wearing at same rate. Wearing square.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #14205
S14 Ender
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Did you change the rotors? Check them for true and run out?

Are they wearing evenly? Inner and outer pad wearing at same rate. Wearing square.
Last time I didn't replace the rotors because my friend said they looked fine, I ordered some pins/brackets that hold the brake pads in place cause it was a little hard to put the pads in last time. I hope this time around it goes more smoothly thanks for the quick response.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #14206
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
what can cause a caliper to press one pad in more excessively than the other?

replaced calipers with rebuilt ones bled it. still the same.

Rear and the inner pad towards chassis.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #14207
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post

Pull the caliper off and clean/lubricate the slide pins that the caliper bolts into. If the slides are frozen up, the caliper wont squeeze the rotor evenly.
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #14208
jptalaga
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
jptalaga is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thanks for the replies guys! i thought i might've needed some extended studs since mine seem short when i test fitted the wheel haha. i work at auto zone and we sell those spline tuner lug nuts. ill probably end up getting those since i have a store discount. =]
jptalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #14209
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimiBoi View Post
Is 13.4 afr @wot (7psi) too lean on a ka-t w/ Enthalpy tune? Asking because afr went from 11.4 to 13.4 when switching from AEM cone filter to HKS mushroom filter. Thanks!
Check to seee if you didn't move the MAF or soemthign funny. An air filter change shouldn't have done that.

13.4 is *way* too lean at WOT and past 4k RPM

Quote:
What's the reasoning for going with a 6 speed?

Z33 is the only option worth the cost and time.

Quote:
Seizing calipers and or compromised brake lines. I'd change them both.

Quote:

Is it a OEM caliper or aftermarket? Stock floating calipers on cars that get beat on are *never* fair on pads and usually tear them up with odd pad wear. I've seen some cars (miata namely) that have both rotational and longitudal pad wear...it's a mess.

Quote:
thanks for the replies guys! i thought i might've needed some extended studs since mine seem short when i test fitted the wheel haha. i work at auto zone and we sell those spline tuner lug nuts. ill probably end up getting those since i have a store discount. =]

Sounds good man!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #14210
unnaturalsniper
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Is there any reason you need a 6 speed?
S15 is available in 6 speed.
yes, i would to have a good take off, but still be able to cruise the freeway getting decent mpg.. right now my ka-e is doing 31/2k at like 70.. i want somewhere around 1800 to 2300 rmp at 70-75..
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #14211
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Is it a OEM caliper or aftermarket? Stock floating calipers on cars that get beat on are *never* fair on pads and usually tear them up with odd pad wear. I've seen some cars (miata namely) that have both rotational and longitudal pad wear...it's a mess!
OEM did that, so we changed it out to a company that supposedly rebuilds stock ones, But this is on a friends S14 so I didnt get a chance to check. Okay so sounds about right cause my friend beats on his pads alot, he does alot of spirited driving. So what can we do to fix it? Bigger calipers? BMC?

Quote:
yes, i would to have a good take off, but still be able to cruise the freeway getting decent mpg.. right now my ka-e is doing 31/2k at like 70.. i want somewhere around 1800 to 2300 rmp at 70-75..
isnt it easier to change out the gearing in the diff?
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #14212
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Way easier to just throw a different final drive in the rear end. And you just assume that the S15 trans will give you what you are wanting? You should probably do some more research on them.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #14213
unnaturalsniper
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Way easier to just throw a different final drive in the rear end. And you just assume that the S15 trans will give you what you are wanting? You should probably do some more research on them.
im not ASSUMING the s15 will give me anything.. somebody suggested it because it was a 6 speed. i just stated what want i wanted.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #14214
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

s15 6 speed tend to break btw. run a z33?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #14215
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
WHATS REQUIRED TO DRIFT AT WILLOW SPRINGS CA

Is it a one time members Fee or is there a fee every time you go?

Is it only on Drift events ONLY? Or can drift Any day ?
Any one that has drifted there please let me know..thank you
Old 07-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #14216
94_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
94_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
How much these worth? I mean everything in the picture.
Used for a very short period of time and it was in perfect working condition when it was removed..

Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #14217
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel pump randomly lost power???

Drove my car, parked it for an hour, and when I tried to start it it died after a min.
-checked fuel pump fuse, it was good.
-could not check relays because my multimeter ran out of battery (forgot to turn it off last time I used it :/ )
-Hardwired fuel pump to check if it was the problem, it turned on with battery power.
-doesn't prime at all when key is at IGN

Weird part:
-swapped out a working 10A horn fuse with the 10A fuel pump fuse and the car started and the horn worked (this was after an hour of messing with shit but everything was put back as it was). The car only idled for 2 min though and then shut off again.

My car was running fine, I had just put about 100 miles on my built motor with no issues, so why would it just suddenly not work?

I am taking the fusebox apart tonight to look for shorts, but that fuse swap-magical-engine start really is messing with my head. Also gonna check the EGI and EGI pump relays, maybe they are 'going' bad, but not totally fried yet?

EDIT: Re-grounded or cleaned all the grounds by the fuse box and I got everything to work again. Not sure why it got bad in the first place, maybe just some rough roads or something.

Last edited by bc.; 07-08-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Fixed my own problem.
bc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #14218
StealthG-Man

StealthG-Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
For the cost of the parts and the amount of work involved to mate a S15 or Z33 6 speed probably won't equate to the amount of money you save on gas. IMO I would just stay with the stock 5 speed (I don't find the mpg on it so bad) or use a Z32 trans if you do some heavy driving and want a trans that can take abuse. If you are also intent on having a better take-off, do what others have suggested and change the final drive and maybe a LSD.
StealthG-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #14219
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Will a 95 s14 (obd1) auto tranny bolt into an 91 s13 and wire up with no problem? I kno the obd11 s14s use a CPS but I'm not sure about the obd1s
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #14220
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
6 speed does not always automatically mean double overdrive like many assume. T56 are (just off top of my head) but I know the S15 and the Z33 6 speed transmissions both utilize 5th gear as the 1:1 gear.

S15 6's gear is a .767
SR/KA 5th gear is a .759

So with that said, the 5 speed has a lower overdrive and should give better fuel mileage.

With that all considered, you can easily put in a longer gear set in the final drive to reduce the RPM per speed, but at the same time if the car isn't making sufficient power/torque at the RPM you want it can actually hurt fuel mileage as the car will be lugging/loaded to keep going.

30mpg is pretty darn good on a KA-E there isn't much better than that. Good running SR's see 30-32 highway.

Quote:
OEM did that, so we changed it out to a company that supposedly rebuilds stock ones, But this is on a friends S14 so I didnt get a chance to check. Okay so sounds about right cause my friend beats on his pads alot, he does alot of spirited driving. So what can we do to fix it? Bigger calipers? BMC?
Well if you're burning through pads that quickly, I'd be looking to make sure the slides are free/lubed. If they are, check to make sure the pad fits in the slider parts easily...as in no bind. Once you pass both those tests I start blaming a seized caliper (or even a poor rebuilt caliper ) and the lines. Beyond that the MC.

You can also have the little rod between the booster and the master slightly dragging, but it's unlikely if it worked for a while. Just a quarter turn off may reduce the drag.

Aside from that the only way to reduce pad taper is to run a 4 piston caliper (or a caliper with no slider pins), and then find the right compound to fit driving. Even on my car with the Carbotech XP12s, I get a slight bit of taper on the leading edge, but that is to be expected as I'm jumping on the brakes at 120. Now the Bobcat street compound I run has no taper, but I'm also quite nice to them (aside from the spirited back road beatings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Fuel pump randomly lost power???

I am taking the fusebox apart tonight to look for shorts, but that fuse swap-magical-engine start really is messing with my head. Also gonna check the EGI and EGI pump relays, maybe they are 'going' bad, but not totally fried yet?

EDIT: Re-grounded or cleaned all the grounds by the fuse box and I got everything to work again. Not sure why it got bad in the first place, maybe just some rough roads or something.
The grounds are a place to check for sure, but that stinking EGI relay really causes a ton of headache, especially on cars where it burns out in the ECU, and the previous owner jumps the relay near it for power.