Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #1411
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Gonna give these a try this week. Just hoping my trans/clutch survives enough to drive home haha

Old 06-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #1412
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Gonna give these a try this week. Just hoping my trans/clutch survives enough to drive home haha

Are those the TT rims? What's the specs on the tires?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #1413
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
What ever happened to the rear drag damper setup Santos was thinking about making? I need some drag dampers bad. Megan streets cut it but the rod length/travel is only ample to a point. Thanks
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #1414
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
No point in designing something really. A set of KWs or any higher end coil over on the rear will give you the ability to adjust compression and rebound for drag passes. I'm sure you could throw something together, but for the price of what his "kit" was going to cost, you could have a set of very capable coils/springs/struts.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #1415
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Has anyone tried the Ksport type DR coilovers? They claim a better 60' and ET
Old 06-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #1416
JSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
No point in designing something really. A set of KWs or any higher end coil over on the rear will give you the ability to adjust compression and rebound for drag passes. I'm sure you could throw something together, but for the price of what his "kit" was going to cost, you could have a set of very capable coils/springs/struts.
The problem with KWs and konis and the like are that the ones guys modify onto S chassis are cheapo twin-tube oil shocks with god knows what valving. 99% of S chassis guys don't know whether to shit or go blind when it comes to shocks so anything feels good to them if their fillings aren't falling out over bumps. The adjustment via clickers on shocks is very very narrow on the double adjustables, its not like you can just click it to where you need it... the valving needs to be within the adjustment window which will vary immensely from car to car. Most guys have no idea what a 3 inch vs 1 inch per second number is, nor that there is even a difference in high speed or low speed damping, let alone that changing springs +/- 25lbs is the correct way to tune a car, not cranking on the holy adjuster knob. What we drag guys NEED is a gas shock with longer travel than the standard S chassis shocks and obviously compression and rebound adjustability (HKS and those AFCO's some guy had on here a while back. The stock valving numbers from the HKS drags would be a good neutral starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky80 View Post
Has anyone tried the Ksport type DR coilovers? They claim a better 60' and ET
5.3k rear springs on them, yikes. Avoid those. Thats a 300lb spring, typical drift coilovers use 6ks which are 325ish. OEM nissan springs are 115ish lbs. You do the math. HKS went with 168lb springs in the back. I'd say 175lb springs are a good starting point.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #1417
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not sure what K Sport was thinking with those spring rates on their so called drag coil over.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #1418
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It would be nice if there was a coilover out there that was setup for it and priced reasonable.
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #1419
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
i believe i heard something from Fortune Auto that was offering a "drag" coilover
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #1420
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforteen View Post
It would be nice if there was a coilover out there that was setup for it and priced reasonable.
On supraforums MVP worked with Ksport to build a replica of the HKS drag coilovers and people have been using them with great success for years over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Not sure what K Sport was thinking with those spring rates on their so called drag coil over.

Like mentioned above though, if we could work with MVP or Ksport and get some custom valved/spring rates I think that would be our best bet for a solution for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
i believe i heard something from Fortune Auto that was offering a "drag" coilover

Yeah this was posted on supraforums also, I believe it was THMotorsports response to MVP working with Ksport, reception really hasn't been great though in that community.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #1421
JSimpson

Step 1: Find a set of good condition HKS dampers to get to one of these damper manufacturers. Who has a known good set other than Mazworx these days?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #1422
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimpson View Post
Step 1: Find a set of good condition HKS dampers to get to one of these damper manufacturers. Who has a known good set other than Mazworx these days?

Well since that sounds nearly impossible, what if we got them a set of Koni or AFCO shocks to model off of. Then we already know what the spring rates were for the HKS and go from there? Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #1423
JSimpson

Quote:
Well since that sounds nearly impossible, what if we got them a set of Koni or AFCO shocks to model off of. Then we already know what the spring rates were for the HKS and go from there? Thoughts?
Copying valving from generic shocks is not a good idea.

Someone has a dyno sheet. I will contact HKS and see if they have anything.
EDIT** Contacted HKS and they will not give out valving numbers. Keep an eye out for a used set

Last edited by JSimpson; 06-08-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Old 06-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #1424
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The problem with KWs and konis and the like are that the ones guys modify onto S chassis are cheapo twin-tube oil shocks with god knows what valving. 99% of S chassis guys don't know whether to shit or go blind when it comes to shocks so anything feels good to them if their fillings aren't falling out over bumps. The adjustment via clickers on shocks is very very narrow on the double adjustables, its not like you can just click it to where you need it... the valving needs to be within the adjustment window which will vary immensely from car to car. Most guys have no idea what a 3 inch vs 1 inch per second number is, nor that there is even a difference in high speed or low speed damping, let alone that changing springs +/- 25lbs is the correct way to tune a car, not cranking on the holy adjuster knob. What we drag guys NEED is a gas shock with longer travel than the standard S chassis shocks and obviously compression and rebound adjustability (HKS and those AFCO's some guy had on here a while back. The stock valving numbers from the HKS drags would be a good neutral starting point.
Im not sure where you're getting your information, but KWs for the S-chassis have separate comp/rebound adjustments. They'll do whatever you need to do, just some dialing in is all. They also have 4k springs in the rear, which is on the lower side of the spectrum when it comes to coils for our cars. You can very easily swap springs to a lower rate and dial them in to where you need them for strip.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #1425
JSimpson

Quote:
Im not sure where you're getting your information, but KWs for the S-chassis have separate comp/rebound adjustments. They'll do whatever you need to do, just some dialing in is all. They also have 5k springs in the rear, which is on the lower side of the spectrum when it comes to coils for our cars. You can very easily swap springs to a lower rate and dial them in to where you need them for strip.
I don't think you have much experience with shock valving and rebound/compression numbers, but no you cannot "dial them in" with the clickers unless the actual shims in the shocks are in the ballpark. For example, you cannot take a damper from a supra and expect it to work on an S14 from just cranking on the clickers. The window of adjustment is tiny and you will end up maxed out in one direction and still be way off. If you learn how to read dyno graphs for shocks it will make more sense. When you dyno a shock it isn't just a linear rate, the compression and rebound changes drastically depending on how fast the stroke is. So not to be rude but do some research on shocks and RE shock dynos (common) and you will find it interesting.

Obviously you know the correct valving depends greatly on the spring rate used. The more spring the more damping needed... You cannot expect a shock that works well with a 5k (335b/in) spring to work worth a damn with a 175 lb spring.

The 5ks you mention are still VERY stiff for the rear for our application. Thats 275lbs. Think about it, if a stock spring works well (112lbs) and a tein lowering spring works well (179lbs) and HKS drag stuff is our best guess (168lbs), AND we know a typical 6k spring (335lbs) is horrible, then a 5k (275lbs) spring is going to be way the hell too stiff still for drag grip.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #1426
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Nice! And video or slips or details?

No Video of the 10.92 pass

I need to get back out there, this car made 800whp i know there is a ton more in it.. but was having a few issues with the car at the track. it trapped 2 mph higher last time out on 11lbs less boost..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #1427
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That car should be way faster than that with 800hp.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #1428
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
That car should be way faster than that with 800hp.
Yes im aware of that.. the car trapped 136mph before with 630ish and a 2.3 60...

Here is what was going on.

5500 DA

210 degree intake air temps.. It was pulling almost 6 degrees of timing because of the temp.

I was also having severe RPM fluctuations in my datalogs, the car needs a dedicated crank trigger instead of the lame ass CAS sensor the RB's use. i could feel the car act up during the runs..

Excuses i know, but i tuned it on the dyno myself and it made 797whp on 35ish psi on a Dynojet, STD correction.

In the process of moving now so wont have much time to get it sorted.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #1429
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
I don't think you have much experience with shock valving and rebound/compression numbers, but no you cannot "dial them in" with the clickers unless the actual shims in the shocks are in the ballpark. For example, you cannot take a damper from a supra and expect it to work on an S14 from just cranking on the clickers. The window of adjustment is tiny and you will end up maxed out in one direction and still be way off. If you learn how to read dyno graphs for shocks it will make more sense. When you dyno a shock it isn't just a linear rate, the compression and rebound changes drastically depending on how fast the stroke is. So not to be rude but do some research on shocks and RE shock dynos (common) and you will find it interesting.

Obviously you know the correct valving depends greatly on the spring rate used. The more spring the more damping needed... You cannot expect a shock that works well with a 5k (335b/in) spring to work worth a damn with a 175 lb spring.

The 5ks you mention are still VERY stiff for the rear for our application. Thats 275lbs. Think about it, if a stock spring works well (112lbs) and a tein lowering spring works well (179lbs) and HKS drag stuff is our best guess (168lbs), AND we know a typical 6k spring (335lbs) is horrible, then a 5k (275lbs) spring is going to be way the hell too stiff still for drag grip.
You are correct, I do not have much experience with shock valving. However, being able to adjust rebound and compression separate from one another affords you the ability to tailor your current suspension to something better suited for the driving you're doing. I'm by no means saying it is by far the best setup, but by reducing compression and slowing down rebound it will allow for weight transfer in the rear and less wheel hop. You caught me before I could correct the spring rate in the rear. It is not 5k, it is a 4k spring on the V3 KW's.

I requested Flatoutsuspension to comment in here. He is willing to build custom shocks for the drag guys here.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #1430
JSimpson

Quote:
You are correct, I do not have much experience with shock valving. However, being able to adjust rebound and compression separate from one another affords you the ability to tailor your current suspension to something better suited for the driving you're doing. I'm by no means saying it is by far the best setup, but by reducing compression and slowing down rebound it will allow for weight transfer in the rear and less wheel hop. You caught me before I could correct the spring rate in the rear. It is not 5k, it is a 4k spring on the V3 KW's.

I requested Flatoutsuspension to comment in here. He is willing to build custom shocks for the drag guys here.
Excellent! Excited to hear what his ideas are. Some characteristics that would be nice: gas shocks with a base-valve. And extended travel with an 8 inch by 2.5ID spring.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #1431
silviaNC
Zilvia Addict

silviaNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys how much you guys think this worth. Z32 TT wheels with MT drag radials. 255/50/16. No much info that I could find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silviaNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #1432
jr_ss
Post Whore!

$200-300 depending on how much tread is left and the condition of the rubber.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #1433
JSimpson

^^tops. An old tire is pretty much worthless. The more heat cycles the harder they get, let alone sitting and drying out.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #1434
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
candyred_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Ran 11.06 @ 127mph 1.61 ft on mt et streets with the new engine setup.

S13 full interior with sr22vet gtx3076r .78 @ 20psi running 30% ethanol. Boost was dropping to about 18psi I know it will run a 10 with this tune as it should be holding about 23psi.

Made 546whp @ 20psi on a dynojet. 1000cc injectors are maxed but I have 1650cc injectors going in soon, hoping to get another 100whp out of the setup.

Vid of 11.5 run with 1.8 60'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prc6MqbE9Hg
candyred_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #1435
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Didn't think the 3076 had enough for 546whp good job.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #1436
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Didn't think the 3076 had enough for 546whp good job.
That turbo has enough for 600 or more, especially with an octane booster.

Your trap speed seems low for the power you're making. I would expect a 130ish trap at 550whp.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #1437
JSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyred_240sx View Post
Ran 11.06 @ 127mph 1.61 ft on mt et streets with the new engine setup.

S13 full interior with sr22vet gtx3076r .78 @ 20psi running 30% ethanol. Boost was dropping to about 18psi I know it will run a 10 with this tune as it should be holding about 23psi.

Made 546whp @ 20psi on a dynojet. 1000cc injectors are maxed but I have 1650cc injectors going in soon, hoping to get another 100whp out of the setup.

Vid of 11.5 run with 1.8 60'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prc6MqbE9Hg
Damn thats badass! That datsun was scooting pretty good too. I bet if he got out of the hole better you guys would have a pretty good race. Can you share any info about your car's setup? Pretty wicked for a soon-to-be 10 second car
Old 07-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #1438
JSimpson

Alright, did some measuring and testing and whatnot. Also went to Mazworx and checked out their S14 and did some measuring. I bought a bunch of Hyperco springs for myself and others on here who are interested.
For many of us, we have standard S13/S14 coilovers with 8k/6k spring rates. This is far too stiff for drag racing or anyone desiring forward traction. Typically the front is 180mm and the rear is 200mm and the ID of the springs is 62mm.
This translates to ~450lbs front and 325lbs in the rear with 7 and 8 inch springs with 2.5in ID. I bought a few to test fit and they fit like a glove.
Given HKS' drag coilovers spring rates are:
280lb front
168lbs rear
And have been criticized as being "too soft" for squatting too much, I found a cheap solution for us.
Buying a set of Hyperco 200lb springs for the back, then taking off your stock 6k (335b) springs from the back and moving them to the front puts you right about ~35lbs stiffer front and rear from the HKS rates, which would be about ideal.

This works wonders because it gives the front an extra 20mm (1 inch) of front spring to aid in travel and stored energy to lift the front and transfer weight to the rear. Another benefit is that it works perfectly with our shock valving. The heavier the spring, the more valving resistance needed. When we soften our rear springs with our given shock valving it effectively softens compression and increases rebound relative to the spring rate. This is exactly what we are looking for.

The springs retail $89 each from Hypercoils plus $18 for shipping. I bought a ton of them and would be willing to sell a set of them brand new in the box from Hyperco for $150 shipped. I realize this is not a for sale thread but figure I would let you guys know. From my pro racing days I got on Hyperco's warehouse pricing list and would be more than happy to order springs for you guys and save you guys some $$.

For those wondering Hypercoils are the best springs available. They are guaranteed within 1% of their rate with a lifetime guarantee. They are used in Formula 1, IndyCar, Nascar, etc... The Indy location for Penske and Ohlins shocks are good friends of mine and they have seen thousands of the springs dyno/tested and they are usually within 1lb of the marked rate and have much more precise height tolerance than other rival spring manufacturers from my and their experience.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #1439
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Buying a set of Hyperco 200lb springs for the back, then taking off your stock 6k (335b) springs from the back and moving them to the front puts you right about ~35lbs stiffer front and rear from the HKS rates, which would be about ideal.

So have you tried this out yet on your vehicle? How's the ride? Squat? etc
Old 07-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #1440
JSimpson

Quote:
So have you tried this out yet on your vehicle? How's the ride? Squat? etc
I will let you know shortly. I copied Mazworx's S14 but obviously they are lighter on front rate. That car needs quick hands at high speeds... I think for the vast majority of us that the 6k up front is what we need. Once you get below ~250 up front the car gets to be a handful at high speeds. 335s up front should drive like a cadillac at high speeds much like the 8ks, but with more stored energy on launch.