Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #121
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
i stand corrected
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #122
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Nissan-S...52eaa7&vxp=mtr

Or hit up ebay seller duax_machine as he usually has one or one on the way. He's out of texas iirc. I picked up one from him a couple years ago, and he's still an active ebayer.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #123
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
You buy a helical with the output shafts on ebay for like $550 and you're done.
This is what I did when I bought my S15 Helical, I think I paid just over $500 and it was at my door step in 5 working days from Japan. Just put it on your tab at Harry's

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #124
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
therein lies the problem. you have to trust that they got the correct ouput shafts with the diff when it was pulled from the car. most of these importers dont know shit about what theyre importing and dont actually pull the parts themselves. if the output shafts dont work, then youre stuck with a diff that is useless until you can source the proper S15 output shafts, and if you havent noticed, those arent exactly the easiest of things to come by.

the OBX unit works with open diff shafts which makes life for damn near all of us S13 owners a lot easier!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #125
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
I've never gotten one with the wrong output shafts. And duax_machine knows exactly what's up regarding the s15 diffs.

If you're using paypal and ebay, you shouldn't have an issue.

Drivetrain parts from OBX just doesn't sit well with me. If you want to do that, do it, but it's within spitting distance in price for OEM stuff.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #126
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I rolled the dice and bought one of these probably about 2 years ago. Took the shitty washers out and replaced them with non-broken ones, did a little deburring, and also some thread chasing was necessary. So far so good. However, I paid quite a bit less than what I'm seeing them going for now. I would buy S15 helical unless you can get a good deal on an OBX unit and you aren't scared to rebuild it and make your own shims.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #127
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:

You can't put 29 spline shafts in the helical anyway, and there's nothing to strip. Some people choose to buy the 13mm shank nismo ring gear bolts but you can just reuse the oem 12mm ring gear bolts and it's fine. I've done three different diffs with the stock ring gear bolts and never had a problem.
I am also resusing the oem 12mm ring gear bolts. Went in just fine. that was almost a year 30k+ miles ago, not a single issue.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #128
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
i reused my OEM ring gear bolts when i put my ATS 2 Way in my first 240. ran around on them for almost 100k miles with zero problems. just gotta make sure you re-coat them bad boys with loctite!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #129
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

site for OBX fixes...

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #130
jamg
Nissanaholic!

jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
any more user reviews?
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #131
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
The fact this site exists should say to everyone nix the obx and get an S15 HLSD if you want a torsen diff.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #132
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i reused my OEM ring gear bolts when i put my ATS 2 Way in my first 240. ran around on them for almost 100k miles with zero problems. just gotta make sure you re-coat them bad boys with loctite!
Have you drifted on it?

I really can't find solid non-fanboy reports of how it does drifting. I'm a 2 events a year kinda guy, not a pro am wannabe.

My welded is driving me nuts with the tire eating and highway death wobbles.

I'm also not keen on dropping $1,400 for a clutch type.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #133
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Have you drifted on it?

I really can't find solid non-fanboy reports of how it does drifting. I'm a 2 events a year kinda guy, not a pro am wannabe.

My welded is driving me nuts with the tire eating and highway death wobbles.

I'm also not keen on dropping $1,400 for a clutch type.
You ought to hit up Mike at THmotorsports for an ATS clutch type. He hooked me up with a brand new one shipped straight from Japan next day air for a price that you wouldn't pass up. Comes with new seals and bearings/ races too. ATS is the shit.
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 AM   #134
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Giken is the answer.

Corbic, arne't you posting in the DIW thread all the time yet you're rocking a welded diff?

Tsk tsk.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #135
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimpson View Post
You ought to hit up Mike at THmotorsports for an ATS clutch type. He hooked me up with a brand new one shipped straight from Japan next day air for a price that you wouldn't pass up. Comes with new seals and bearings/ races too. ATS is the shit.
I have a Carbonetic Carbon in an s14 pumpkin that I'm willing to part with.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #136
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Have you drifted on it?
it ran with me thru probably a good 20-30 events in its life time while i had it. locked up just as tight when i sold it with my last 240 (#4) in 2009 as the day i put it in my first 240 in 2004.

as far as drifting goes on a helical diff, mine worked just dandy on saturday when i took the girl im seeing out drifting for the first time. it didnt push quite as hard as a clutch style diff, but it did just fine! i wouldnt trade it for the world

Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #137
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
The fact this site exists should say to everyone nix the obx and get an S15 HLSD if you want a torsen diff.
theyre not quite as bad as they seem. took some friends of mine here in town about 2 1/2 years to nuke the one in their track only 10 second EG civic hatch.

though i would highly recommend quaife over OBX any day. the quaife torsen diff is damn near the same thing as the S15 helical, but it works with OE 6 bolt open diff shafts as well as OE 5 bolt shafts too.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #138
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Giken is the answer.

Corbic, arne't you posting in the DIW thread all the time yet you're rocking a welded diff?

Tsk tsk.
Balls of Steel bro.

It's actually not as bad as people make it out to be. Not much different then a locked spool. The only issues is tire wear and instability over 65mph on anything on than than marble streets.

DIW would be rocking the open or trying to JB Weld the open ^_~
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #139
e1_griego
Post Whore!

I've driven 2 welded diffs in my 10 years and some change of screwing with 240s and I hated both. A lot.

I pray at the altar of OSG.