Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #121
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I remember paying like $900 something. Sprayed the bodykit and fenders seperate, a little patch work on the spoiler, shave one of the rear side markers. Then i picked it up and put everything on at home.

Would have been better if I had prepped it better.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #122
BabyBlueJeff

Trader Rating: (0)
BabyBlueJeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
did maaco also sell you their drifter-in-a-box package, which includes (but not limited to):
- cutoff trendy custom off-centered license plate
- random tow hook ornament
- angled exhaust
- windshield sticker(s)
- canards, seriously? i mean its obvious with the papa smurf paint scheme that downforce is beyond you
- 89-90 lip on 91-94 bumper

just think, a few bucks more and you could have sprung for the angled OPTION2 sticker

seriously, its amazing how played peoples cars and originality are nowadays. no wonder cops are having fun with our cars, they look for the same stereotypes over and over and over again

sorry for being a dick, i just like talking shit
It's all good, I mod my car for myself, not for other people. Criticize all you want, doesn't matter to me. Just my daily driver anyways. I save my '99 Eclipse GSX for the weekend.
BabyBlueJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #123
BabyBlueJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
How can you say sorry for being a dick, and then go on to say you like talking shit? I mean how can you say you love him, when you wont even eat his poop?
Agreed. This is my first time posting on this forum and already have people talking shit. I thought it was a community that shared the same interest in the same car. I like DSM Tuners better.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #124
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
ixfxi, I rattle canned my front end + skirts, I need your criticism before I take it to Maaco for a paint job!

Directory of pics:
http://tehl33tsite.com/240sxdd/black240/kouki/
my criticism or my advice? my advice is to buy another car, dont burn money with these old ass money-pits. its not worth it.

but if you plan on keeping your heap, i suggest attempting to convince your folks (i assume you live at home) that you no longer need the spare refrigerator in the garage, nor the ladder, boxes, paint cans, etc.. all that shit needs to come out. then, spend a few thousand (minimum) on equipping your garage as a sanctuary to do work on your own vehicle. from there, you can have a quality shop paint your car with the bare-minimum of PPG paint, assuming they have the facilities do properly PREP the vehicle, remove dents, blocksand, wetsand all jams, etc... then you will have a nice paint job that will last you for years and years, until you do something stupid like race your car into a wall because all of a sudden your friends pressured you into proving to them that you can (or cannot) DRiFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
Maaco in Escondido, CA Paid $266.75
Sorry for the big and shitty iphone pictures
hey bub.. its 2011 and you dont know how to resize a photo. its pretty obvious that technology is kicking your ass on the daily. please, dont give people advice about paying $266 and 75 pennies on maaco paint. instead, spend a few mins to learn to use the image resizing feature of photoshop or some cheap image program. then, and only then will you be able to play with the big boys and share all the photos you like with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlueJeff View Post
It's all good, I mod my car for myself, not for other people. Criticize all you want, doesn't matter to me. Just my daily driver anyways. I save my '99 Eclipse GSX for the weekend.

Agreed. This is my first time posting on this forum and already have people talking shit. I thought it was a community that shared the same interest in the same car. I like DSM Tuners better.
You still have one of those? I remember back in the late 90s everyone had an Eclipse, I was like damn those cars look so much better than our cars.. plus they came factory turbo. All of a sudden, it was like the dinosaurs.. they became extinct and i never saw people driving GSTs or GSXs around. I went to a few meets over at RoadRace. I didnt know what to say. I saw people driving GS and RS Eclipses with bigass wings and altekka tail lights. I saw Celicas and Diamantes. It was then I realized that I was hanging out with ricers. I havent gone to many 240 meets lately, but Ive noticed that those same individuals have gotten rid of their cars and are now 240 owners.

I guess what im trying to say is, is that its all the same shit everywhere you go. anyway, if and when you ever see my car.. please, by all means.. criticize it all you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucks View Post
There are SO many variables dude. When your paying 500 for a paint job what your getting is single stage paint. This means the clear and paint are all mixed into one instead of spraying each separately. Maaco can do either one but your going to pay a lot more for the latter. Spending 1500-4K for a 2 stage paint job just isn't worth it on a 1500 dollar car imo... but hey its your money.
Every Maaco is a franchise, individually owned and operated, so the quality of each maaco will have to be determined by word of mouth, or going to each different store and checking out some of the cars they have painted. Single stage is pretty decent, and will hold up if you take care of the paint and have a garage to keep it from the weather. The problem lies in their prep. For 300 bucks, maaco don't prep shit. Meaning they just machine sand with like 200 grit real quick all around just so the paint sticks. Not like a body shop that really strips the old paint down to the metal. so you will eventually get lots of little dings and chips on the front bumper from rocks. it's GAURANTEED. you gotta pay to play man, n its totally your choice. what you could do is take your bumper off, sand it down and primer it. that would help a bit. I have gotten a shit load of paint jobs all at maaco and earl schieb. I was satisfied man, they are old cars and i just wanted something decent. without further ado here are some cars ive gotten painted there.
without a garage the paint is usually very shiny for about a year. and then it starts to dull a bit the second year. by the 3rd it's pretty dull, UNLESS you got a garage and take care of the paint, then it can last for quite a while. SHit who can complain for 500
I think this is the only person in this thread who knows what theyre talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
How can you say sorry for being a dick, and then go on to say you like talking shit?
in all honest, i think i just want his car to add to my personal collection

ps: whatever happened to the red square feature this forum had years ago? that was so fucking good. people got hammered for saying stupid shit (me included).

zilvia really needs to add that feature back
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #125
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
^ lol had fun romping on people?

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #126
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucks View Post
There are SO many variables dude. When your paying 500 for a paint job what your getting is single stage paint. This means the clear and paint are all mixed into one instead of spraying each separately. Maaco can do either one but your going to pay a lot more for the latter. Spending 1500-4K for a 2 stage paint job just isn't worth it on a 1500 dollar car imo... but hey its your money.
uh, no. single stage is enamel, base/clear is urethane. they don't just mix base and clear in one gun and spray it at the same time.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #127
BabyBlueJeff

Quote:
You still have one of those? I remember back in the late 90s everyone had an Eclipse, I was like damn those cars look so much better than our cars.. plus they came factory turbo. All of a sudden, it was like the dinosaurs.. they became extinct and i never saw people driving GSTs or GSXs around. I went to a few meets over at RoadRace. I didnt know what to say. I saw people driving GS and RS Eclipses with bigass wings and altekka tail lights. I saw Celicas and Diamantes. It was then I realized that I was hanging out with ricers. I havent gone to many 240 meets lately, but Ive noticed that those same individuals have gotten rid of their cars and are now 240 owners.
The '99 GSX has a lot of sentimental value to me. It's the car I've wanted since I was 10 years old, and there's no way I'm getting rid of my affordable childhood dream car. I'm planning to buy an Evo later on down the line when I make more money though.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #128
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
hey bub.. its 2011 and you dont know how to resize a photo. its pretty obvious that technology is kicking your ass on the daily. please, dont give people advice about paying $266 and 75 pennies on maaco paint. instead, spend a few mins to learn to use the image resizing feature of photoshop or some cheap image program. then, and only then will you be able to play with the big boys and share all the photos you like with us.
I choose not to resize because its for personal reasons. If I want to, I can do it. Where does it state that I ADVISE people to go to maaco? I am just showing the quality of the paint job they did to my car.

If you were smart enough, you would read the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyview View Post
After my paint color turned out to be the wrong color, i don't want to redo it so i think im going to have maaco do it. Anyone use them before around the NJ/NY area? How much they cost for a cheap paint job in glossy black or grey?
Prices for..
Price including sanding/redo body work.
price including only paint.

thank you
Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #129
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
I choose not to resize because its for personal reasons. If I want to, I can do it.
what great reasoning. very well, carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlueJeff View Post
The '99 GSX has a lot of sentimental value to me. It's the car I've wanted since I was 10 years old, and there's no way I'm getting rid of my affordable childhood dream car. I'm planning to buy an Evo later on down the line when I make more money though.
ah yes, how fond childhood memories can be.

i vividly recall thinking to myself as a kid, eons ago, just how much i loved cars like the lamborghini countach. then i grew up and realized that its just not as cool as it once was. instead, those memories get replaced with better, wiser dreams.. such as one day owning a ferrari f40 or perhaps, just maybe.. a mclaren f1.

i too used to think the 2g eclipse (turbo) was cool. until i sat in my friends gsx, the interior is puke, the cars turning radius sucks, and year after year the car fell more and more apart. my other friend loves his talon though. hard to keep cars like that when you can buy an evo which is better in almost every possible way.

so anyway, how bout them paintjobs.......... lets see some more single stage bondo ridden madness! let the saga continue!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #130
Houseof1817
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Houseof1817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
uh, no. single stage is enamel, base/clear is urethane. they don't just mix base and clear in one gun and spray it at the same time.
well that sure made my night.
Houseof1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #131
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
what color do i get !!!! maybe poop brown.... but for reals im stuck on what to get.
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #132
n8RPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
n8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of lightn8RPS13 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
WTF happened to this thread? So much s@#t talking get back on topic guys

WASTED I AM!
n8RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #133
Untam3dS13
Leaky Injector

Untam3dS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man just go to mexico dey'll do it for cheap....lol
Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #134
BabyBlueJeff

Quote:
i too used to think the 2g eclipse (turbo) was cool. until i sat in my friends gsx, the interior is puke, the cars turning radius sucks, and year after year the car fell more and more apart. my other friend loves his talon though. hard to keep cars like that when you can buy an evo which is better in almost every possible way.
I can't argue with you there. I was gunna sell the S13 and buy an Evo 8 cuz my coworker was gunna hook it up for cheap, but I have to get my expenses prioritized first. Evos are just badass.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #135
rwdaccordswtf
Leaky Injector

rwdaccordswtf is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to rwdaccordswtf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untam3dS13 View Post
lol I see what you did there
rwdaccordswtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #136
nUtstyle

nUtstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untam3dS13 View Post
LOL yeah might be true. Maaco usually have "specials" but they are really only less steps paint jobs. And if they have to do some bodywork their prices go up really big. Usually they have a couple of cars outside just finished so you can check their work. Ive seen good paint jobs but the quality/color of the paint is not always the one you expect.
nUtstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #137
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

i kinda dont give a shit about how bad the paint it is... cause my car oe paint is done alomst down the metal rest of the pain is peeling and my two fenders are primerd grey.. im hoping the 800 dollar prep and stage 1 paint they do comes out good.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #138
timlush
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
timlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to timlush
People with aero, new mirrors, hoods, wings, etc....

Are you taking that stuff to them separate or installed on the car?
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #139
nismobenzo
Zilvia Junkie

nismobenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
^if you do not get them painted off of the car you are doing it wrong. plain and simple.
common sense ftw
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #140
dookiedang
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
dookiedang is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dookiedang
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoKidd View Post
my gf just got her Evo painted at Macco for 500 bucks, shit came out legiiit! and 500 bucks really?! thats dirt, plus they only took 2 days!
you got any pics of ur GF's EVO??? i wanna see how good it is! let us know!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #141
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiedang View Post
you got any pics of ur GF's EVO??? i wanna see how good it is! let us know!
bump this old thread

good job, moron.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #142
Lukasss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
Lukasss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
And instead of letting it die, you had to bump it again.
Just to call the guy a moron...
Lukasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #143
Sugoi_Style
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Sugoi_Style is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
"Go ahead...Maaco my day"

Thanks to all for insight, pictures, tech, bullshit, and talks of eating poop. I now feel more confident about the Maaco's of America. Now, I'll just have to go find the best one in KY Land.....
Old 06-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #144
5pecialist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
5pecialist will become famous soon enough5pecialist will become famous soon enough5pecialist will become famous soon enough5pecialist will become famous soon enough5pecialist will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure you communicate with your local Maaco BEFORE you get too mentally sold on taking it there. As said before:

>>> service varies greatly by LOCATION <<<

I went to the local one, and not only were the owners complete racist slimeball dicks, but the price was 2X what I saw at another location. They quoted one thing over the phone, and when I showed up in person, they became degrading and wouldn't offer the earlier price. They claimed they couldn't do the basic enamel job for less than $600, and wouldn't warranty the finish at all. $600 for just shooting one coat of enamel is ridiculous.

So... show up, get a feel for whether your location is a con game, and if they are decent, get the price in writing. If they are hucksters, move on to another location!
5pecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #145
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

i have maaco paint job and honestly its piece of shit.. they over spray every thing primer my window and my tail lights they even got my tires... you get what you pay for will i go back hell yeah for 400 bucks i cant argue.... but dont be a nickel looking for a dime.. cause you have to pay to play...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #146
Sugoi_Style
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Sugoi_Style is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
True, but being a Daily Driven enthusiast and riding lowlow, I don't want an award-winning paint job for now due to mad scraping and scratching. Maybe when I retire the S14 as my DD, I'll opt to get the paint done professionally by fellow enthusiasts, not some racist pricks.

I chose the latest gunmetal grey that the latest model Toyota Avalons, Camrys, and Corollas can come in from the factory. It has a nice flake in it, but will this paint application cost more? And since it is a factory (non-pearl) paint, doesn't this mean that I can shop around for the best price per gallon? Any insight?

Paint code: 1G3 Magnetic Grey Metallic (nevermind the FF Corolla, that's just a visual aid to match with the code)

Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #147
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Friend of mine paid Maaco $500 to shoot his S13 gray.

Looks alright from 20 feet or so, as you get closer you can notice how they didn't really take their time to mask the car. If you're going this route, I'd suggest prepping the car yourself and just having Maaco shoot the paint.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #148
ixfxi
Post Whore!

i got a maaco paint job, turned out great. you guys should do it.

only thing is, you gotta remind the painter to clean his gun properly

oh, you also gotta remind the helper to prep and mask the car.. they dont always do that

and you gotta remind them to be easy on the bondo, they tend to spread it thick

oh, and remind the painter to be consistent about how he holds the gun and sprays the metallics, you could end up with tiger stripes and

and remind them to keep the pressure of the gun adjusted properly

or remind them to take off your lights and moldings, fenders, doors, paint that all separately.

but it worked out great for me, may vary for you... just sayin tho
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #149
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
i got a maaco paint job, turned out great. you guys should do it.

only thing is, you gotta remind the painter to clean his gun properly

oh, you also gotta remind the helper to prep and mask the car.. they dont always do that

and you gotta remind them to be easy on the bondo, they tend to spread it thick

oh, and remind the painter to be consistent about how he holds the gun and sprays the metallics, you could end up with tiger stripes and

and remind them to keep the pressure of the gun adjusted properly

or remind them to take off your lights and moldings, fenders, doors, paint that all separately.

but it worked out great for me, may vary for you... just sayin tho
So remind them to do their job pretty much...
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #150
lysticalz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
lysticalz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

1 year old maaco paint, still strong no chips, imperfections, runs, orange peel, fading.

survived some winter driving

its all about which maaco you go to and how well you prep your own car. $300 ish dollars well spent gjdm
lysticalz is offline   Reply With Quote