Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #15271
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fixit View Post
So im looking at getting this ka-t to throw in my other shell. the guy says he has pictures and receipts to prove all the forged internals and shit it has but is there any other way to prove this. i cant start it and see if it has piston slap before it gets warm because the motor is pulled. and the only other option is to pull it all apart but thats not very realistic before buying it. any input would be great, thanks.
Pull the oil pan and look at the rods and bottom of pistons. That's the easiest way to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
A well built header with a 4:2:1 design and a correctly built merge collector will enhance mid range, and top end performance at the cost of a slight off idle to low end loss. Where many lose all low to midrange performance is putting a 3" system on a stock or lightly modded engine that can't sustain the volume:velocity ratios that a 3" system needs to correctly perform.
I know this, we build headers for a very reputable Porsche engine shop. I'm saying for these cars, most disregard design for C O M and ease of production AKA, whatever works. It's a shame, but most 240 kids aren't going to buy a well made header this side of the track guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater9 View Post
I was reading the "Definitive z32 brake swap" and it said that the MC was probably the most important part of the swap. Is it really worth changing the MC? Can someone explain to me how it would feel if I don't add a 300zx MC?

Thanks
Squishy as heck.

Quote:
If you are pushing more than 250hp at the flywheel you will see gains going to a 3". It takes 250+ to make a 3" work better for velocity and scavenging. Anything under 250hp does better with a 2.5" system. A 3" under 250hp will see gains in top end only without a proper tune, and even with a proper tune, the 2.5" will have more power from mid to high rpm than with a 3". Remember, as the old men said when V8's were being bumped to 3" systems, they knew it took 500hp to make them work RIGHT. The import guys split that number in half due to only having four cylinders. The rule of hp vs pipe diameter still applies up to 250hp IF you want proper scavenging and velocity
If it wasn't for my server crashing behind repair, I'd show you 2.0 and 2.4 both making power with same setups going from 2.5 to 3". We made as much hp with S5's on a DE with a Gen 3 (or was it a Gen 5, I can't recall) and a 3" exhaust as bolt in VE guys made after going from 2.5 to 3" and they weren't anywhere near 250 flywheel. However this goes back to before where it was on a car with cams and header, not a plain jane with a catback LOL.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #15272
IceCream

Trader Rating: (0)
IceCream is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone know about what suspension parts swap over from the s13 to the s14?? i have an s13 with everything and an s14 shell with no rust at all, just wondering if the subframe and other suspension parts would swap over with little work
IceCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #15273
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just noticed this. Thanks Cody...
Quote:
If you are pushing more than 250hp at the flywheel you will see gains going to a 3". It takes 250+ to make a 3" work better for velocity and scavenging. Anything under 250hp does better with a 2.5" system. A 3" under 250hp will see gains in top end only without a proper tune, and even with a proper tune, the 2.5" will have more power from mid to high rpm than with a 3". Remember, as the old men said when V8's were being bumped to 3" systems, they knew it took 500hp to make them work RIGHT. The import guys split that number in half due to only having four cylinders. The rule of hp vs pipe diameter still applies up to 250hp IF you want proper scavenging and velocity
Let me take you on back to 2006...

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/102582...fter-dyno.html
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #15274
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
I bought a oil filter relocation kit ( Used ) from a fellow member , my question is and im pretty sure the answer is NO but .. can i reuse the o-ring? i did some searching its DERALE PERFORMANCE single top port filter mount 3/4"-16 threaded oil filters

question 2 what if the oil pressure for ka24de's idle/and at WOT ? just want to make sure that ill be ok and with in spec by relocating the oil filter.
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #15275
Deftenigma

Deftenigma is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an AE86 SR5 Corolla.
Bad brakes, bad tires, no power steering, needs tags, needs smog. There is someone willing to trade his 1990 240SX for my car. I very badly want a 240 and to be rid of 86. His car is on non op and he has the pink slip on hand. He says his car doesn't run due to a "rod". I realize this might mean metal hit metal and might need a new engine. I looked up a rebuild kit and it costs about 400$. Will the rebuild kit fix this kind of problem? My car is my dd and I use it all the time, it's reliable. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it or stupid?? I would greatly appreciate all the input, thank you very much.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Deftenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #15276
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftenigma View Post
Bad brakes, bad tires, no power steering, needs tags, needs smog. There is someone willing to trade his 1990 240SX for my car. I very badly want a 240 and to be rid of 86. His car is on non op and he has the pink slip on hand. He says his car doesn't run due to a "rod". I realize this might mean metal hit metal and might need a new engine. I looked up a rebuild kit and it costs about 400$. Will the rebuild kit fix this kind of problem? My car is my dd and I use it all the time, it's reliable. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it or stupid?? I would greatly appreciate all the input, thank you very much.

You can find that motor for sale online for under $300. I'd consider doing it.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #15277
Deftenigma

Deftenigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
You can find that motor for sale online for under $300. I'd consider doing it.
Will it be everything I need if I buy it online? Like all the hoses and things like that?

Deftenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #15278
trentjsd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
trentjsd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Brakes

Does anyone know what brake pads to use on R33 GTS-T brakes? Are they the same as 300zx?
trentjsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #15279
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentjsd View Post
Does anyone know what brake pads to use on R33 GTS-T brakes? Are they the same as 300zx?
Pads are the same. All the 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears use the same pad sets(F/R).
Old 10-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #15280
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Will it be everything I need if I buy it online? Like all the hoses and things like that?

It should be. If not online, you can find pretty much everything you need on Craigslist or on this site for pretty cheap.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #15281
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Anyone know what thread pitch/size fittings go into the steering rack? Looking to convert to AN, but not sure what metric size fittings to buy.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #15282
robinsone
Leaky Injector

robinsone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
anyone know about what suspension parts swap over from the s13 to the s14?? i have an s13 with everything and an s14 shell with no rust at all, just wondering if the subframe and other suspension parts would swap over with little work
IIRC the s13 subframe is smaller or not as wide as the s14, s14 was wider, so you can't exchange a s13 for a s14 but you can do the s14 sub in a s13 with the adapters that are available.

Control arms, only the traction (short) and upper control arms will swap over no sweat. The toe arm (really long arm) has different bushings, the s13 bushing is short while the s14 bushing is wider, so you can just swap out bushings and it'll fit. The rear lower control arms on the s14 have wider bushings as well and you can't swap a smaller bushing arm from an s13 to the s14.

Similar year J30 or Q45 has the same rear lower control arms as the s14, but the ball joints are different sizes i believe. I can't remember if the Z32 had the s13 rear lower control arms or not, but everything else on a rear z32 and s13 is the same, sans the subframe. You can swap the traction and upper control arms of a J30 or Q45, also the Q45 toe arm will work with an s14 not sure about the J30.

So somehow you can piece it all together.
robinsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #15283
Johannes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Johannes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Anyone happen to know the font type and font size they use for the sticker on the rear rocket bunny wing/(over)fenders?

Shown here that says "Rocket Bunny"

Finishing up my rocket bunny and all I need is the rear wing(coming sometime next week) and I would like to get a custom sticker made.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #15284
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Call the dealer and get the OEM ones?

I've never had good luck with the non OEM ones as they don't have the nice smooth unthreaded part to take up the slack between parts...sure you can run a regular bolt but each 'thread point' is a weak spot....
Picked up some much needed driveshaft bolts from NISSAN - Nothing like shiny new OEM hardware and for under $9 you may as well just do etttt

Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #15285
kaul_

kaul_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Did USDM S13 coupes ever come with a rear spoiler? Got a PS13 Silvia with a spoilerless boot but the car originally had a spoiler so every time I open the boot it flicks up violently due to the torsion bars or whatever. Anyone know how to fix it without weighing down the boot/removing the torsion setup completely?
kaul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #15286
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
I bought a oil filter relocation kit ( Used ) from a fellow member , my question is and im pretty sure the answer is NO but .. can i reuse the o-ring? i did some searching its DERALE PERFORMANCE single top port filter mount 3/4"-16 threaded oil filters

question 2 what if the oil pressure for ka24de's idle/and at WOT ? just want to make sure that ill be ok and with in spec by relocating the oil filter.
I wouldn't re use the o ring, I'd just go get another cheapy filter and use the O ring from that (assuming it's a flat o ring). If it's a round one just lube it up and install.

You'll be fine pressure wise, it's not going to change that much if at all on the gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Anyone know what thread pitch/size fittings go into the steering rack? Looking to convert to AN, but not sure what metric size fittings to buy.
DIY power steering + AN fittings - Carolinanissans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Anyone happen to know the font type and font size they use for the sticker on the rear rocket bunny wing/(over)fenders?

Shown here that says "Rocket Bunny"

Finishing up my rocket bunny and all I need is the rear wing(coming sometime next week) and I would like to get a custom sticker made.
Proper+ Shop ? Catalog Products ? Rocket Bunny

They may be able to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Picked up some much needed driveshaft bolts from NISSAN - Nothing like shiny new OEM hardware and for under $9 you may as well just do etttt
Hell yea man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaul_ View Post
Did USDM S13 coupes ever come with a rear spoiler? Got a PS13 Silvia with a spoilerless boot but the car originally had a spoiler so every time I open the boot it flicks up violently due to the torsion bars or whatever. Anyone know how to fix it without weighing down the boot/removing the torsion setup completely?
You'd need to spoilerless trunk torsion springs.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #15287
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What kind of temperature reduction can I expect before/after the radiator?

This is for track use only. It's an SR, I have a Koyo N-Flow and dual FAL fans (S-blade) with shroud. run straight distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. No heater core, no AC condenser. I have a fanless oil cooler as well.

Thx.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #15288
Chuki_KA24e
Leaky Injector

Chuki_KA24e is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't want to post this question in the fitment thread so I'm asking it here. I am picking up some used PBM coils this weekend and I was wondering if I will have to do a chassis harness tuck to keep from rubbing. Nothing major as far as fitting big wheels, I'm only using 16x8 0 offset, with 205/50/16 tires. I have already tucked the drivers side harness but didn't have time to do the passenger side and I'm not wanting to pull my fender off at the moment. I am planning on going nearly as low as possible but not quite maxed out. Any helpful advice would be great!

Last edited by Chuki_KA24e; 11-01-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Chuki_KA24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #15289
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

First of all i just bought a complete running ka for $120, so if you need a new motor it's not a problem. Second, if it has a rod knock you don't need a new motor, just a simple stock rebuild is fine and cheap to do. It will be a few bucks more than just grabbing another ka but you get a motor with 0 hours and 0 miles, vs a 20 year old motor with god knows how many miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki_KA24e View Post
I didn't want to post this question in the fitment thread so I'm asking it here. I am picking up some used PBM coils this weekend and I was wondering if I will have to do a chassis harness tuck to keep from rubbing. Nothing major as far as fitting big wheels, I'm only using 16x8 0 offset, with 205/50/16 tires. I have already tucked the drivers side harness but didn't have time to do the passenger side and I'm not wanting to pull my fender off at the moment. I am planning on going nearly as low as possible but not quite maxed out. Any helpful advice would be great!
Tuck it. It takes like 20 minutes if you're slow. Or spend hours piecing your harness back together when the tire eats it and leaves you stranded. Your choice. I feel like you haven't rolled your fenders either, so do that too. Where in florida are you
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #15290
Chuki_KA24e
Leaky Injector

Chuki_KA24e is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks DriftBadger, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. If there's even the slightest chance of rubbing and leaving myself stranded I'd rather tuck. My fenders are rolled believe it or not. I have to apologize for my supposed location. I was getting a lot of hate on some comments I posted in another thread(cant remember what one) so I "changed" my location to "Floriduh". I'm in Canada...
Chuki_KA24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #15291
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Chuki, definitely take the time to tuck the harness! My passenger wheel is 1/2" front the top of the wheel well and it never rubs. But I rubbed through it by the grommet in the firewall. I'll be tacklin this pita sometime soon.

I wish I did it when I hammered the tire killers

Oh also, the passenger harness is just wipers, wiper fluid, and cruise. Maybe something else, so it can't leave you stranded.
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #15292
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandriftingfat View Post
What kind of temperature reduction can I expect before/after the radiator?

This is for track use only. It's an SR, I have a Koyo N-Flow and dual FAL fans (S-blade) with shroud. run straight distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. No heater core, no AC condenser. I have a fanless oil cooler as well.

Thx.

Hard to say. You should be around 200-210 post head temps I'd assume.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #15293
SidewaysS13ka
Zilvia Junkie

SidewaysS13ka is an unknown quantity at this point
hey zilvia. i was looking over my ka since its out of the car and when i wrecked my car i smashed the aac plug off the firewall, so i took just the aac off the iacv and was looking over the aac and seen the little pintle like thing in the aac and figured it should move, but it was stuck. my question is shouldnt you be able to push it in and it pops back out or does it need manifold pressure to push the pintle? i got a new one anyway since the plug was smashed, just wondering if theres a way to check if they are good.
SidewaysS13ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #15294
robinsone
Leaky Injector

robinsone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysS13ka View Post
hey zilvia. i was looking over my ka since its out of the car and when i wrecked my car i smashed the aac plug off the firewall, so i took just the aac off the iacv and was looking over the aac and seen the little pintle like thing in the aac and figured it should move, but it was stuck. my question is shouldnt you be able to push it in and it pops back out or does it need manifold pressure to push the pintle? i got a new one anyway since the plug was smashed, just wondering if theres a way to check if they are good.
yeah there is its in the FSM apply 12 volt to it and it should click or something, its in the FSM for sure though
robinsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #15295
SidewaysS13ka
Zilvia Junkie

SidewaysS13ka is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsone View Post
yeah there is its in the FSM apply 12 volt to it and it should click or something, its in the FSM for sure though
thanks,but it might be hard to apply voltage to a smashed plug, i mean i can cut the sub harness and apply directly to the wires.
SidewaysS13ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #15296
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Installed 30mm rotors on a s14 along with Hawk pads. Brake feel was horrible and eventually the rotor and pad seized up?

Has anyone seen this or heard of this happening? The fit was super tight with both new pads and rotors.

Thanks for any inputs or direction.
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #15297
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
How much does coilover droop effect ride quality? I'm on blown kei office(yes I know, upgrade time) which I believe is 9k/8k. The front and back are drooped 2-3" because the bottom collars were stuck.

Would I benefit greatly by preloading them and really working on the collars? My springs feel really soft, like softer than my grand am. I'm not sure if it's because they're old or the droop. Thanks guys.
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #15298
94_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
94_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Well, someone asked about where to buy these s13 clear tail lights and Andy's Auto Sport has them. Thread got locked, so I'm leaving here for whoever wants to buy them. Email this guy and ask. I just want to help fellow members. That is all.

[email protected]

Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #15299
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
Installed 30mm rotors on a s14 along with Hawk pads. Brake feel was horrible and eventually the rotor and pad seized up?

Has anyone seen this or heard of this happening? The fit was super tight with both new pads and rotors.

What master do you have?
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #15300
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
What master do you have?
More information on your setup period would help...