Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #1591
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
Thanks guys, appreciate the good words! The fenders are bn style and I don't think 350z axles will work with just the plates, they're already pretty tightly compressed as-is with plates and spindles. Optimally I'd have them out another 4-5mm but I'm making the best of what I got.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #1592
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
The fenders are BN, from us! (JordanInnovations on here)

They were super tricky to package with the Tanabe sway bars, I hope you enjoyed our solution Stew lol

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #1593
Johny5
Post Whore!

Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
The packaging was great, I appreciate you holding onto the stuff for me buddy

Alright, been picking away at this thing, put some thoughts into hopes and wishes/put hopes and wishes into calculator/realize how much this is gonna hurt/hopes and wishes turn to parts-depression-work on car-silly car nerd....and in the end I am SO happy with how this turned out. I'm going to write a blog (As per usual) about the whole setup but this is just to share whats been done.

I went over to finally meet Mr. Marty from Autocomp Racecars over in Fort Worth. Marty has expressed a particular interest in my project and was happy to help on my latest endeavour. I started with some sway bars. Tanabe, not a big deal. They are fixed position sway bars, very undude. The solution? Waterjet some plates for adjustable settings out of 1/2" 4130 which matches the tube the Tanabes are made of.

Marty's shop is a plethora of nostalgia, enough to make a car nerd like myself drool for days. While getting the plates ready for final weld I was told the deburring tool I was using was given to Marty by Carroll Smith himself. I was beside myself. Finalized cleaning them up and got em ready to go.

next to the old ends.

prep the bars..

initiate the fun!

cool pic i thought

Our area of concern is past that 90, past that 90 the swaybars primary functions occur. If you keep the extreme heat behind that 90 you can maintain good molecular structure in the steel and not affect its spring property. Marty was very careful of this, he's a surgeon with that tig. It also helps that it was all properly jigged and clamped to not allow expansion. Ambient temperature air cooling was essential.

and the end result! its as if they were made like this in the first place

We also took care of the coilover buckets, its self explanatory...

I will give them a fresh coat of green along with Tein stickers on each side of the bucket. Let them know I am proud to continually run their product

Now the final wait for my revalved shocks! Marty and I will be baselining the car before round 1... measuring shock stroke to calculate spring preload (helpers in the back make this a nightmare), corner balancing the chassis as my last numbers were very uneven, zero'ing out my new endlinks, setting caster up front in a manner that will help prevent overcentering and doing a full alignment.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #1594
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
what was your reasoning behind putting heims on the coil buckets? endlinks look great too!
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #1595
InfraRed407
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
InfraRed407 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to InfraRed407
damn those coil buckets are ridiculous haha. sway bar looks awesome
InfraRed407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #1596
Johny5
Post Whore!

When I installed the driftworks spindles I had to raise my coilovers a good amount, maybe almost a little over 2" if I remember correctly? My new spring rates will require more shock adjustment. And be it up or down, 5-7 threads of engagement was both scary and not enough. This solution minimizes bushing deflection, allows a higher bucket height for more thread engagement (or ride height if thats your thing) and allows me to play with spacing of the coil bucket on the coilover stud of my spindles to aid in axle fitment via these...

...you could say I have a problem, and I'd say you were probably correct. hahahaha

Thanks Jake!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #1597
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
makes sense. i knew you had to raise for the driftworks, but didnt know it was that much
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #1598
hypercrush
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
hypercrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you madman! stoked to see this chariot when you come out for XDC

oh this is Dylan by the way.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #1599
Johny5
Post Whore!

oh lord, XDC AZ. THE MADNESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #1600
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
When you posted pics of the waterjetted 1/2" I figured that's what it was for, nicely done too.

Throwing heims on the shock like that is interesting too, fixes a couple problems at the same time. You're just a couple steps away from a full-blown 1/2" heim to 1/2" heim motorsports-style damper now... muhaha

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #1601
AceUp
Zilvia Member

AceUp is an unknown quantity at this point
Stew ur car is starting to go to another level epicness that iam starting to believe you might actually know a thing or to about what you are doing!!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #1602
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^ hahaha

Stew this is a work of art, keep it up bro
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #1603
Johny5
Post Whore!

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Full on motorsports build, lets do this!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #1604
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I really wish I had a neighbor like you.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #1605
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
sick work on the stabilizer bars, welds look great.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1606
surge s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
surge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymoresurge s14 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Its awesome coming in to this thread and finding story time.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #1607
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Updates like this revive my hope in the 240sx community. At least some of us are still trying

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #1608
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Looking good! Glws
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #1609
Johny5
Post Whore!

Thanks for the good words guys !!

I'd have more coming up but UPS misdelivered my high-misalignment rod ends yesterday and apparantly everyone in this world isn't honest. With all bad news comes some good, Tein is done with my shocks (so quickly too!) and they are on their way. Full chassis setup and heads install coming up really quickly, I feel like a kid in a candy store haha
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #1610
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Love the stuff going on here man! Haven't checked on your thread in a while, pleasantly surprised at all the upgrades! Keep it up!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #1611
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
Thanks for the good words guys !!

I'd have more coming up but UPS misdelivered my high-misalignment rod ends yesterday and apparantly everyone in this world isn't honest. With all bad news comes some good, Tein is done with my shocks (so quickly too!) and they are on their way. Full chassis setup and heads install coming up really quickly, I feel like a kid in a candy store haha

What heads are you going with? 243?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #1612
Johny5
Post Whore!

Yes sir, I bought a mint set of 243s and PowerFAB is having them ported/flow tested for my application. Very excited to see the new numbers!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #1613
tuktuk23
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tuktuk23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
After 54 pages and damn near 3 hours on and off reading this thread, all i have to say is one thing....

tuktuk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #1614
Johny5
Post Whore!

Pretty excited about this, my car made it into thechive

dream-car-03_01_12-920-21 : theTHROTTLE

Under dream cars of the week no less! Very very cool!

also, time for some fun with custom endlinks...

15 days till my next event and the car still has to be baselined! Tein just sent out my shocks as well, time to rock and/or roll!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #1615
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Damn are you a rapper? Look at the money!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #1616
Johny5
Post Whore!

what money?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #1617
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
that endlink currency right there,...lol
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #1618
e5s4y
Zilvia Junkie

e5s4y is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
Pretty excited about this, my car made it into thechive

dream-car-03_01_12-920-21 : theTHROTTLE

Under dream cars of the week no less! Very very cool!

also, time for some fun with custom endlinks...

15 days till my next event and the car still has to be baselined! Tein just sent out my shocks as well, time to rock and/or roll!
Awesome man! I love the chive! ha. I have a kcco shirt and bfm. I wish i could have gotten the irish kcco they just sold earlier this week
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #1619
Johny5
Post Whore!

endlink party, rears tomorrow and bar paint as well. grabbed some new bushings from tanabe as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1620
Johny5
Post Whore!

Did some more work on it last night, I'll unblurb all this into one blog when I'm done but here's a rundown.

In typical "me" method of doing things I can't leave items unfinished or ugly

sup ozone

1/2" 6061 tooling plate spacer to clear z33 pinion flange

made clevis's's's's's for rear endlinks

rear endlinks complete! just need to paint clevis's's's's's

suspension/axle testing at static. axle is like 80% plunged here and gets to 60-70% as susp. compresses. PERFECT!

my RUCA before didn't give me enough positive camber so I modified the subframe after some measuring. Leaving the ruca in its same position as before, this is the result I was given. I'll finally be at true 0 at static yay!